MD & DO Things non-medical people say/do that drive us up the wall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My personal greatest pet peeve is that government made the HIV virus and is withholding the cure

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
My personal greatest pet peeve is that government made the HIV virus and is withholding the cure

My (distant) cousin is like this. She believes that vaccines are dangerous and that all opinions on them are equally valid. She also believes that the pharmaceutical industry is withholding cures for diseases because their goal is to create customers not treat patients.

Got a good one from a family get-together this weekend...as one of my uncles has gotten older and started having a few health problems, he's gotten into these natural remedies he uses alongside regular medicine. Apple cider vinegar, etc. - all of them are pretty harmless so I don't give him too much of a hard time about it.

This weekend, I noticed this bracelet he's been wearing, and I asked about it. He goes "oh, it's magnetic. It gets rid of the extra positive ions in your body, they're bad for you." 5 minutes later: "does anyone want to try my hydrogen infused water?"

Tell me more about this magnetic bracelet....

Members don't see this ad :)
"Hydrogen-infused water?" Reminds me of the time I went around my undergrad campus with a video camera and a microphone and videotaped myself asking people if they would sign a petition to join the Coalition Against Dihydrogen Monoxide. I claimed it caused floods and drownings and was a major component of acid rain. Many signed up.

Reactions: 5 users
Those who put choke-risk amber necklaces on their babies despite being helicopter parents. They think the body absorbs succinic acid from the amber via body temperature. All the while refusing big pharma's NSAIDS.

Reactions: 1 user
MD student here. happily would have gone DO if that school was in the right city for me. At the time of this encounter I had only been accepted to the DO school....a chiropractor student told me DO is not medical school.
He/she's just jelly because DOs get to learn the manipulations (and many more) that once made chiropractic 'medicine' special, and to add insult to injury OMTs are evidence based while chiropractic theory is founded on subluxation pseudoscience. That being said I still occasionally go to a chiropractor because gdamnit it feels good to get a thoracic adjustment no matter how temporary the feeling lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Speaking of putting strange things in places they don't belong, I went through a brief phase where I was deleting FB friends who wouldn't stop posting ridiculous medical crap and was shocked by the number of people trying to promote coffee enemas. The things people put up their butt in the name of detoxification and fighting cancer never ceases to amaze me...
The enema fad was way over the top, but there is some good recent research about the use of caffeine as a topical agent.

I was rummaging thru my junk drawer and found an old roll of KT Tape from like 5 years ago when I gave myself IT Band syndrome from sh-tty training. Yeah, I admit it was all in my head that the stuff was doing anything at the time, but oh well. It affected my wallet more than anything else, and I had a race I really really wanted to run.

I should consider a "Admit it: Name a time when you engaged in pseudoscience" thread in here... sure it'd be moved to the Lounge immediately, but I would plead ignorance, I swear.
$25 for a roll of adhesive coated elastic cloth lol. Ive been on this site for a while and dont actually know what 'the lounge' is.. is it like a /r thread where admins move unprofessional/derailed threads?

I tried the IT band thing and it didn't do anything for it. I then kinda created a weird looking thing under and around my knee cap that did the placebo trick for me.
It was invented to appease people who aren't willing to endure the pain of stretching and occasionally foam rolling in the case of IT band shortening lol.

I'm derailing my own thread with these rapid fire responses.... back on track:

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN1504181349.334842.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN1504181349.334842.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: 1 user