MD & DO Things non-medical people say/do that drive us up the wall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I 100% agree with you, which is why I actively trash any pseudoscience I encounter. The whole nonsense opinion that we should just sit back quietly is flat out stupid.

I was that way and still am, but recent studies have shown that this tactic is actually more likely to make them cling to their beliefs even more strongly. A recent paper showed that even after presented with facts about how vaccines don't cause autism, people who previously believed it were even more likely to believe it after the information and even MORE so after time had passed.

These people will really only listen to appeals to false authority. We need someone like Oprah to talk about how this stuff before these idiots believe it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I dutifully grin and take the tray out of the room. Two seconds later family member #2 (who met me before) is screaming at the other one, "oh my god, Nancy! She's dad's surgeon!!" Cue them both coming after me and profuse apologies.

So you melted a little and removed the "offending" tray. Those relatives later saw you as magnanimous precisely because you did not bat an eye about their "mistake".

We all need to melt a tad more in America towards each other. To quote Bill Maher:

"One of the first things I said on my old show (ABC's Politically Incorrect) is if you're going to come to the melting pot, melt a little bit. You've got to melt a little," Maher said.

"You can't take a driver's license photo in a burqa. We have to see your face," the host added.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my wife's coworkers is under the impression that you can "filter your urine" and then infuse it back in you via IV and it will cure "cancer".

Just let those people know that fecal transplant is a thing. You literally feed people feces and it cures cdiff.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was that way and still am, but recent studies have shown that this tactic is actually more likely to make them cling to their beliefs even more strongly. A recent paper showed that even after presented with facts about how vaccines don't cause autism, people who previously believed it were even more likely to believe it after the information and even MORE so after time had passed.

These people will really only listen to appeals to false authority. We need someone like Oprah to talk about how this stuff before these idiots believe it.

Or we do our best to explain the science to people and allow them to be partners in their health. That means taking responsibility for their decisions. You can't protect people from themselves.

Reactions: 2 users
TBH I think this is a real thing

No joke whenever I'm studying and I can't focus too well I'll drink or eat something with carbs instead of just drinking water and it always helps. It might be 100% placebo but it helps.

Eh. It happens to me a lot. I correct them and move on.
I did have a funny moment with two family members recently. I walked into the room in scrubs and before I could speak, family member #1 thought I was a nursing assistant and goes, "here's the tray." I dutifully grin and take the tray out of the room. Two seconds later family member #2 (who met me before) is screaming at the other one, "oh my god, Nancy! She's dad's surgeon!!" Cue them both coming after me and profuse apologies.
That's not innocent ignorance. Just shoving a tray at someone before they can say anything is rude as ****.

That's not innocent ignorance. Just shoving a tray at someone before they can say anything is rude as ****.

Patients will be patients. I'm a young looking petite woman, not the typical orthopod. The only thing I can do is be polite and unflappable, instead of getting all offended. That does no one any good.

Reactions: 5 users
I walked into the room in scrubs and before I could speak, family member #1 thought I was a nursing assistant and goes, "here's the tray."
emoji23.png

As a nursing assistant, if I walked into a room and they threw a tray at me like that...:boom:
Forget being offended about them mistaking you for an aide, you should be offended for your support staff.

True but these aren't really patients I'm talking about. These are the silly, ridiculous things that my peers and family do. Like things I'm potentially having to watch and listen to at the dinner table in a manner of speaking lol. Nothing a patient says or does will bother me at a personal level. I got past that point when I was an emt

My SO's family came to visit us this summer and my father-in-law decided to educate me on heart disease. He read a book by some cardiologist from NY and thought it was revolutionary that just eating fat wouldn't give you atherosclerosis and that inflammation played a big role. He then began telling me about how even the slightest inflammation is horrible for you and how the proper infusion of peppermint and lemongrass essential oils will reduce swelling throughout our bodies. The worst part wasn't even the BS on essential oils, it was pretending to be interested in his "revelation" about inflammation playing a role in atherosclerosis as I actually wrote a thesis on pathological mechanisms of atherosclerotic disease.

Pseudoscience drives me crazy as much as the next person, but as I start rotations I've noticed many of the people I work with being incredibly dismissive of patient questions just because they begin with "I read online....".

Personally I'd much rather a patient that takes an active approach to their health than one that doesn't give a ****.

Imo, it depends where they're looking up their information. If they say they looked at multiple websites and found an article on Medscape or WebMD (or some other seemingly reputable site), I at least give them credit for trying. If they come in with a blog post from Organic Yoga Vegan Guru's Amazing Health Tips Blog I'm going to be taking their questions a little less seriously.

Last edited:
Or we do our best to explain the science to people and allow them to be partners in their health. That means taking responsibility for their decisions. You can't protect people from themselves.

Yep. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for everyone. Crazy conspiracy theorists and science deniers are not going to be partners in their health. Of course those people probably won't go see you anyway, since you're part of the conspiracy.

Yep. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for everyone. Crazy conspiracy theorists and science deniers are not going to be partners in their health. Of course those people probably won't go see you anyway, since you're part of the conspiracy.

Except they are partners in their own health. You can't force them to do the right thing. In that sense, you provide explanations and recommendations, and they make the decision and enjoy or suffer the consequence of their own decision.

Except they are partners in their own health. You can't force them to do the right thing. In that sense, you provide explanations and recommendations, and they make the decision and enjoy or suffer the consequence of their own decision.

I have a different definition of partnership then. Someone who doesn't want to hear my advice and ignores everything I offer to their own detriment isn't a partner. That doesn't mean you stop trying or offering them the right path, but if they aren't putting anything into it, you're just a servant (which is sometimes all you can be).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a different definition of partnership then. Someone who doesn't want to hear my advice and ignores everything I offer to their own detriment isn't a partner. That doesn't mean you stop trying or offering them the right path, but if they aren't putting anything into it, you're just a servant (which is sometimes all you can be).

Definitions are less important. You'll be less drained if you don't tie patient's behavior to your performance related outcomes. I guess it's easier for me as a surgeon because the outcomes I care about are mostly post-op outcomes and ones that mostly depend on how well I did the operation and managed the patient in the hospital, and less dependent on how much buy-in I get from the patient.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitions are less important. You'll be less drained if you don't tie patient's behavior to your performance related outcomes. I guess it's easier for me as a surgeon because the outcomes I care about are mostly post-op outcomes and ones that mostly depend on how well I did the operation and managed the patient in the hospital, and less dependent on how much buy-in I get from the patient.

Yeah, I learned a long time ago that satisfaction can't be linked to patient compliance.

YUP. I read somewhere that something like 1/3 of organic products on grocery store shelves don't meet organic standards. There's also a fair amount of shady inspecting. But all that aside, what -drives me up the wall- is that people pay more money for less food because of organic labeling. "To avoid chemicals"
I'm fond of pointing out that "organic" is just an excuse for your supermarket to charge you more money.

I'm fond of pointing out that "organic" is just an excuse for your supermarket to charge you more money.

Organic is another scam dreamed up by the media and others to scare people into buying eggs for $5/dozen when you can buy the normal eggs for $0.44/dozen. If you understand how the body breaks down proteins/carbohydrates/fats into their most basic components, it really doesn't matter if a product is organic.

I know people who drive to big cities on Saturday and sell hamburger meat for $11.00+/lb because it is "organic." The lack of reasoning skills by many in our country is pathetic.

I wish I could say this gets better. As a resident I can't tell you how many times this happens.

Walk into a room, patient on cell phone, says into phone "I gotta go, the nurse is here".
Even though I have a name tag that says doctor, I'm wearing a white coat that also says "Dr." and I introduce myself repeatedly as doctor. But nope. I'm clearly the nurse.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm a dood and i get called a nurse many times in residency too despite my ID saying MD, and me introducing as Dr. blah.

TBH, whenever someone says 'the cancer' instead of just cancer irks me just a tiny bit haha

Patients will be patients. I'm a young looking petite woman, not the typical orthopod. The only thing I can do is be polite and unflappable, instead of getting all offended. That does no one any good.

As a male, I'm sorry this happens to someone as achieved as you and I'll speak up or do everything in my power and go out of my way if necessary to ensure all my female colleagues in medicine receive the recognition/respect they deserve and be conscious of my own biases which are very real, but at the same time I'd like to thank you for not turning this into a media field day which you could very well have done. #thisiswhatadoctorlookslike

Last edited:
Lmao. I appreciate the sentiment but I really don't care, and don't need anyone to "ensure" that women are recognized. I earn my own recognition. Gender has zero relevance on accomplishment. I'm not a "female surgeon," and don't relish or point out my gender as if it were something I need a medal for. I'm just a surgeon who happens to be female. Most orthopods are men so the mistake is natural and understandable. I'm happy to correct people that make it, and move on. Only idiotic third wave feminists and microaggression seekers turn it into a "muh feelings" thing. Normal people don't pay it any mind.

Well stated

As a male, I'm sorry this happens to someone as achieved as you and I'll speak up or do everything in my power and go out of my way if necessary to ensure all my female colleagues in medicine receive the recognition/respect they deserve and be conscious of my own biases which are very real, but at the same time I'd like to thank you for not turning this into a media field day which you could very well have done. #thisiswhatadoctorlookslike

#WhiteKnighting

Reactions: 9 users
One of my wife's coworkers is under the impression that you can "filter your urine" and then infuse it back in you via IV and it will cure "cancer".
beargrylls.jpg

About a year-and-a-half ago, my mom started believing not only that vaccines cause autism, but that autism can be cured by something called "Miracle Mineral Solution," which is literally bleach. It's both horrifying and extremely interesting from a purely psychological standpoint, also a little insulting that she gives more credence to insane Facebook posts than her son (a medical student) and her mother (a nurse) who have both explained exactly why that isn't remotely true. It's also weird that she never used to believe anything like this at all...I really don't know how that kind of thing happens.

"the doctor gave me x months to live. I proved them wrong."

To preface this, I grew up in a farming community and my family has several farmers in it, so I'm not just pulling this out of my ass.

The USDA has a list of fertilizers, pesticides, etc. that are permitted to be used on organic foods. The only difference is that these substances are "natural" instead of synthetic. The catch is, you guessed it - the organic pesticides are no safer to humans than synthetic ones (and in some cases more dangerous) and also tend to be less effective, so they need to use a higher concentration/amount per acre to get the same result. So it really drives me crazy when people assume organic = pesticide free. And all that other stuff about responsible farming, e.g. crop rotation and cover cropping to keep the soil healthy, that people tout as an organic thing...literally every farmer I know does that stuff because it's good for their crop yield and because they care about keeping their land healthy and productive.

Sorry, this is a topic that really grinds my gears.

So Just like any other noble profession, the farmer is bogged down by regulations placed by administrations that are several degrees of separation from being in his/her job/shoes.

Do less.

Reactions: 4 users
Regardless of whether I agree with the point you made here, it has literally no resemblance whatsoever to what I said in my previous post

I meant like the nonsense list that the USDA comes up with for organic, But they are hardly an organization of/for farmers.

MD student here. happily would have gone DO if that school was in the right city for me. At the time of this encounter I had only been accepted to the DO school....a chiropractor student told me DO is not medical school.

I don't think they are partners. They are the end and sole responsibility for their health (within the framework that God/fate/chance allows them) We're just hired hands to help them accomplish whatever task they are hiring for that day/week/year. We can be caring hired hands that suggest better ideas or refuse to participate in worse ones.....but that's all we are.

MD student here. happily would have gone DO if that school was in the right city for me. At the time of this encounter I had only been accepted to the DO school....a chiropractor student told me DO is not medical school.

Cope
o
p
e

Someone was jelly......

YUP. I read somewhere that something like 1/3 of organic products on grocery store shelves don't meet organic standards. There's also a fair amount of shady inspecting. But all that aside, what -drives me up the wall- is that people pay more money for less food because of organic labeling. "To avoid chemicals"
What’s On My Food :: Pesticides on Apples
Have fun, and see for yourself.

I did have a parent put poop into their child's central line. Maybe they just misunderstood what a fecal transplant was. I'll have to call their prison and ask :)

off topic for sure, but can you elaborate a little? Was it Munchausen by proxy or did they really think that it would help?

I did have a parent put poop into their child's central line. Maybe they just misunderstood what a fecal transplant was. I'll have to call their prison and ask :)

Speaking of putting strange things in places they don't belong, I went through a brief phase where I was deleting FB friends who wouldn't stop posting ridiculous medical crap and was shocked by the number of people trying to promote coffee enemas. The things people put up their butt in the name of detoxification and fighting cancer never ceases to amaze me...

I was rummaging thru my junk drawer and found an old roll of KT Tape from like 5 years ago when I gave myself IT Band syndrome from sh-tty training. Yeah, I admit it was all in my head that the stuff was doing anything at the time, but oh well. It affected my wallet more than anything else, and I had a race I really really wanted to run.

I should consider a "Admit it: Name a time when you engaged in pseudoscience" thread in here... sure it'd be moved to the Lounge immediately, but I would plead ignorance, I swear.

I know someone who had serious complications from detox teas, another that literally almost died from a self done, no prenatal care home birth which included, among other things, a barrel of castor oil. Both are adimately against medicine and still promote pseudoscience to their social media followers. The botched homebirth (which thanks to emergency rush to the hospital, saved mother and baby) was portrayed on her social media as the oppressive western hospital that took away her freedom as a woman, to much fanfare and support online.

I was rummaging thru my junk drawer and found an old roll of KT Tape from like 5 years ago when I gave myself IT Band syndrome from sh-tty training. Yeah, I admit it was all in my head that the stuff was doing anything at the time, but oh well. It affected my wallet more than anything else, and I had a race I really really wanted to run.

I should consider a "Admit it: Name a time when you engaged in pseudoscience" thread in here... sure it'd be moved to the Lounge immediately, but I would plead ignorance, I swear.

My wife tried KT for a while before finally going to PT. It didn't work at all. I just didn't a quick search and it seems like there is no good evidence that it helps except maybe some moderate evidence that it can maybe prevent ITB tightness. Interesting.

I'm a young looking petite woman, not the typical orthopod.

I haven't heard this term before, and first time reading through thought you misspelled arthropod. Needless to say, I thought you were confusing yourself for a surgeon with 8 legs. :smack:

My wife tried KT for a while before finally going to PT. It didn't work at all. I just didn't a quick search and it seems like there is no good evidence that it helps except maybe some moderate evidence that it can maybe prevent ITB tightness. Interesting.

I tried the IT band thing and it didn't do anything for it. I then kinda created a weird looking thing under and around my knee cap that did the placebo trick for me.

2 female patients who had positive pregnancy tests while on OCP.

When asked about how they take their birth control: "I thought I'm only supposed to take it on days I have sex."

I've seen this happen....twice. SMH.