MD & DO Things non-medical people say/do that drive us up the wall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B_52

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have come to the realization that as I become more a part of the medical profession, there are things that even the "well educated" general public say/do/believe that drive me absolutely up the wall. I cannot take it out on them because it is not their fault that they have no medical background or ability to filter nonsense; and informing each person how wrong they are would be exhausting.

So, I'll start venting here with a trend that has driven me absolutely mad lately:

People have developed this perception that drinking any "acidic" or "acidifying" drink, meat, food; will make their blood acidic and therefore turn their bodies into a cesspool of disease, cancer, and diabeetus. I have seen people go as far as to buy pH test strips from "natural health" stores and test every source of water they drink to make sure it is above pH 7.0. The same people also do silly tea and lemon juice cleanses of course. Drives me absolutely insane seeing it.

Also, anyone who mentions any revelation they have made after watching "what the health", they get mentally smacked upside the head too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
I have come to the realization that as I become more a part of the medical profession, there are things that even the "well educated" general public say/do/believe that drive me absolutely up the wall. I cannot take it out on them because it is not their fault that they have no medical background or ability to filter nonsense; and informing each person how wrong they are would be exhausting.

So, I'll start venting here with a trend that has driven me absolutely mad lately:

People have developed this perception that drinking any "acidic" or "acidifying" drink, meat, food; will make their blood acidic and therefore turn their bodies into a cesspool of disease, cancer, and diabeetus. I have seen people go as far as to buy pH test strips from "natural health" stores and test every source of water they drink to make sure it is above pH 7.0. The same people also do silly tea and lemon juice cleanses of course. Drives me absolutely insane seeing it.

Also, anyone who mentions any revelation they have made after watching "what the health", they get mentally smacked upside the head too.
I mean if these people are doing things like exercising with a normal BMI then I couldn't care less. It's stupid, but from a medical standpoint it's not doing harm. Are you in preclinicals? Because when you get out there you'll see the problem are people who absolutely do not give a **** about their health while expecting you to help them carry on their unhealthy lives.

Reactions: 8 users
I mean if these people are doing things like exercising with a normal BMI then I couldn't care less. It's stupid, but from a medical standpoint it's not doing harm. Are you in preclinicals? Because when you get out there you'll see the problem are people who absolutely do not give a **** about their health while expecting you to help them carry on their unhealthy lives.

The fun with the cleanses is when your type I diabetics start doing them.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I was forced to listen to a room full of women getting ready for my sister's wedding talk about the Blood Type Diet. I wanted to throw them all off the room of the hotel.

If you have relatives who've recently come from India, many believe drinking cold water makes you sick and at first it's funny but then it becomes annoying when they refuse cold water all the time. It probably stems from the notion that warm liquids when sick help symptoms so cold water must do the opposite.

Reactions: 1 users
If you have relatives who've recently come from India, many believe drinking cold water makes you sick and at first it's funny but then it becomes annoying when they refuse cold water all the time. It probably stems from the notion that warm liquids when sick help symptoms so cold water must do the opposite.

I think a lot of Asian cultures believe this, my Chinese roommate thought the same thing. Doesn't sound satisfying to me but I figure people can drink whatever temperature of water they want haha.

The worst is when they are actually "informing" you of something health related and say it in such a "matter-of-fact" way that it would be really rude or awkward to correct them. Another pet-peeve just to add a side note, when people not in the medical field decide to flex their mental muscles on the most basic health information and tell you as if you don't already know... I'm talking things like BP, blood sugar, etc "Well you know normal is 120 over" (ker-slap)

Reactions: 3 users

During the Swine Flu pandemic of 2009, I was sitting at the local pool while my daughter was taking swim lessons.

Some mommies sitting next to me, doing the same thing, but talking about the outbreak, and they veering into vaccinations. Then one genius spouted this:

"I'm not getting my kids vaccinated! If my kids get sick, I'll just take them to the hospital!"

I bit my tongue and kept quiet, but had the image of a kid on a respirator in my mind.

Someone: "What do you do?"
Me: "I'm in medical school."
Someone: "Oh, like for nursing?"
..................no, b*tch

Reactions: 44 users
I am still in pre clinical, yeah. Those people who neglect their health drive me crazy in a different way like a "why are you doing this to yourself you poor bastard" way. I agree as long as people do healthy things I shouldn't care if they follow silly, harmless fads; which is why I made this thread because I can vent anyways lol

Reactions: 1 user

At least in Asian cultures one main reason is the many people didn't have access to clean water so the only sure way that you would know water was potable was if you boiled it. Room temp water/cold water meant you weren't sure if it was ever boiled

Edit: source am Asian

Reactions: 7 users
or the fact that water in India is ridden with cholera and other nasty things, but hot water right from the heater tank and tap or boiled water is sterile (or at least more sterile than cold tap water)

At least in Asian cultures one main reason is the many people didn't have access to clean water so the only sure way that you would know water was potable was if you boiled it. Room temp water/cold water meant you weren't sure if it was ever boiled

Edit: source am Asian
ahh you beat me to it haha

Members don't see this ad :)
During the Swine Flu pandemic of 2009, I was sitting at the local pool while my daughter was taking swim lessons.

Some mommies sitting next to me, doing the same thing, but talking about the outbreak, and they veering into vaccinations. Then one genius spouted this:

"I'm not getting my kids vaccinated! If my kids get sick, I'll just take them to the hospital!"

I bit my tongue and kept quiet, but had the image of a kid on a respirator in my mind.
entire other threads could be started on the anti-vaxers so that is certainly one haha

Good call. I'm sure they would have loved to hear your non clinician input.

Someone: "Oh, can you look at this rash for me?" (proceeds to drop pants)

Reactions: 5 users
Good call. I'm sure they would have loved to hear your non clinician input.
So you need to be a clinician to understand the importance of vaccination, or science of it?

So you need to be a clinician to understand the importance of vaccination? Or are you just being a dick to be a dick?

My point is that people with those views aren't going to change their mind.

Not sure how far along you are, but I'm confident you'll stop caring at some point. You'll see so much that it'll take a lot more to "drive you up the wall"

Not sure how far along you are, but I'm confident you'll stop caring at some point. You'll see so much that it'll take a lot more to "drive you up the wall"

Agree, at some point you'll get used to it.

I initially thought some fat T2D patients weren't serious when they reported only eating a little and can't get under 300 pounds. I have heard soooooo soooooo soooooo many patients meeting the criteria for morbid obesity tell me they eat healthy and can't understand why they can't lose weight. A lady not to long ago told me she thought stress was causing her to gain weight. I asked if stress was causing her to eat more than normal and she said she was eating less than normal. I don't push the issue to much, but I'm thinking, you have gained 30 pounds in the last six months so you aint eating less. Damn people, come on!!!

Or that patients who drink three 44 ounce non-diet sodas a day can't figure out that is bad for glucose control and weight.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree, at some point you'll get used to it.

I initially thought some fat T2D patients weren't serious when they reported only eating a little and can't get under 300 pounds. I have heard soooooo soooooo soooooo many patients meeting the criteria for morbid obesity tell me they eat healthy and can't understand why they can't lose weight. A lady not to long ago told me she thought stress was causing her to gain weight. I asked if stress was causing her to eat more than normal and she said she was eating less than normal. I don't push the issue to much, but I'm thinking, you have gained 30 pounds in the last six months so you aint eating less. Damn people, come on!!!

Or that patients who drink three 44 ounce non-diet sodas a day can't figure out that is bad for glucose control and weight.

I love the ones who say "I eat barely 1400 calories a day!" And they've gained 40lbs since last visit with an a1c of 12. Do patients really think we're that stupid?? *eye roll*

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just starting med school, but as someone with a bachelor's degree alone, (1) vaccine aversion, and all it entails -- "pediatricians make so much money off vaccines"/"vaccines are filled with aborted baby parts and when a girl gets a vaccine with Y chromosomes in it, she becomes transgender"/the list goes on & (2) GMO aversion/worshiping organic food/"NON GMO" food labeling. My catharsis is Facebook pages, plug for a few: Refutations to Anti-Vaccine Memes, We Love GMOS and Vaccines, Things Anti-Vaxxers Say.

Reactions: 4 users
Drinking or eating acidic foods, or food that bacteria easily ferment, can eventually create a nidus of infection from your teeth.

I suggest you quit medicine now if something like this bothers you. You haven't even taken the red pill yet.

Latinos have many such beliefs and they cling to them after they have arrived in the USA.

Gently, patiently, lovingly educate them and almost always they are very appreciative. If anything you make new friends. Small investment if you just show some mercy.

True but these aren't really patients I'm talking about. These are the silly, ridiculous things that my peers and family do. Like things I'm potentially having to watch and listen to at the dinner table in a manner of speaking lol. Nothing a patient says or does will bother me at a personal level. I got past that point when I was an emt

Just starting med school, but as someone with a bachelor's degree alone, (1) vaccine aversion, and all it entails -- "pediatricians make so much money off vaccines"/"vaccines are filled with aborted baby parts and when a girl gets a vaccine with Y chromosomes in it, she becomes transgender"/the list goes on & (2) GMO aversion/worshiping organic food/"NON GMO" food labeling. My catharsis is Facebook pages, plug for a few: Refutations to Anti-Vaccine Memes, We Love GMOS and Vaccines, Things Anti-Vaxxers Say.

The organic worshipping thing is hilarious. I went to college with someone who's parents had an "organic" farm. Apparently it's common place to still use pesticides and then just rinse them away with a solvent when inspectors come

Convo I had with a patient's relative when I was helping myself to food in the nourishment room (lol):

I'm in scrubs, a white coat, and have my ID and stethoscope on me.

"So are you like a college freshman?"

*Yeah, I'm a college freshman spending 12 hours a day on a labor and delivery ward because why?*

"No I'm a medical student."

"Oh, cool. My sister is also a nurse."

*Cue fake ass smile and chuckle with subtle hints of rage*

Convo I had with a patient's relative when I was helping myself to food in the nourishment room (lol):

I'm in scrubs, a white coat, and have my ID and stethoscope on me.

"So are you like a college freshman?"

*Yeah, I'm a college freshman spending 12 hours a day on a labor and delivery ward because why?*

"No I'm a medical student."

"Oh, cool. My sister is also a nurse."

*Cue fake ass smile and chuckle with subtle hints of rage*

I wish I could say this gets better. As a resident I can't tell you how many times this happens.

Walk into a room, patient on cell phone, says into phone "I gotta go, the nurse is here".
Even though I have a name tag that says doctor, I'm wearing a white coat that also says "Dr." and I introduce myself repeatedly as doctor. But nope. I'm clearly the nurse.

I wish I could say this gets better. As a resident I can't tell you how many times this happens.

Walk into a room, patient on cell phone, says into phone "I gotta go, the nurse is here".
Even though I have a name tag that says doctor, I'm wearing a white coat that also says "Dr." and I introduce myself repeatedly as doctor. But nope. I'm clearly the nurse.

I'm guessing that you're a girl? Sucks, dude.

Pathetic that the majority opinion being it is not our place to confront pseudoscience. It is. One main reason we live in an anti-science society today is because the few of us that are scientifically literate don't properly communicate to the masses. Alternative health quackery is a multibillion dollar industry because medical doctors shrug and silently say "I guess don't care as long as it's not harming them."

"Is (insert single food item) healthy?"

Like dude... What on earth do you want me to tell you?

Oh, my personal favorite is "I saw in the news that (insert random topic) (insert random thing it does)!"

Man, that just drives me up a wall. How many times have people cured cancer with ointments? Hey-zeus, give me strength.

Pathetic that the majority opinion being it is not our place to confront pseudoscience. It is. One main reason we live in an anti-science society today is because the few of us that are scientifically literate don't properly communicate to the masses. Alternative health quackery is a multibillion dollar industry because medical doctors shrug and silently say "I guess don't care as long as it's not harming them."

I 100% agree with you, which is why I actively trash any pseudoscience I encounter. The whole nonsense opinion that we should just sit back quietly is flat out stupid.

Not in medical school but as someone who does research in cancer pharmacology/drug resistance:

"I know they have the cure for cancer, they're just making too much money off it."

and

By my own mother: "My friends mom went to Mexico and took a pill and her cancer is GONE. Completely gone!"

Not in medical school but as someone who does research in cancer pharmacology/drug resistance:

"I know they have the cure for cancer, they're just making too much money off it."

and

By my own mother: "My friends mom went to Mexico and took a pill and her cancer is GONE. Completely gone!"
Yeah these are the absolute worst. It's flabbergasting how many people actually believe this stuff.

even better when you then write your name as "Dr. So and So" on the white board, get called nurse again, and correct the person again in front of the entire family *again*, launch into an in-depth explanation of a procedure replete with drawing pictures, interrogating the family in depth on medical history, tell them you will put in orders, tell them you're a doctor again, only to be told later that you've been fired for being so "unprofessional and failing to identify yourself as physician" to this family

stupidity

I love the ones who say "I eat barely 1400 calories a day!" And they've gained 40lbs since last visit with an a1c of 12. Do patients really think we're that stupid?? *eye roll*

"All I have for breakfast is coffee (a 32oz caramel latté), don't eat lunch at all, have a small snack around 3pm (half a sandwich and a bag of chips with 32 oz of regular coke), and a salad (consisting of 2 pieces of lettuce, 4 tablespoons of ranch, cheddar cheese, croutons, and bacon) for supper. Coffee has basically zero calories, the half a sandwich is probably 200 calories, and a small salad? I don't know, maybe another 200. So I eat 400 calories a day and I'm still gaining weight! It must be my thyroid."

Meanwhile, if you actually add it up, that's probably 3500-4000 calories/day.

That's why the first thing I ask obese patients to do is to log their calories on an app like my fitness pal. Not even change anything, just log what they're actually eating. If they do it, 9 times out of 10, it's extremely eye-opening.

Reactions: 11 users
THIS. I have to make sure to order ice-free water for my (Indian) mother in law when we go to restaurants. Because she is 100% convinced it will give her a sinus infection.

When I visit my grandparents, that is pretty much their rationale for not give me cold water when it is 90 degrees at 90% humidity....

Last edited:

Well, your dealing with a population that has politicians who think global warming is a scam made up from the scientific community...

Today I heard a brand new MS1 say that she gets symptomatically hypoglycemic while studying because her brain is using up all the glucose while it works so hard.

*eye rolls for days*

Today I heard a brand new MS1 say that she gets symptomatically hypoglycemic while studying because her brain is using up all the glucose while it works so hard.

*eye rolls for days*

TBH I think this is a real thing

Reactions: 6 users
Pseudoscience drives me crazy as much as the next person, but as I start rotations I've noticed many of the people I work with being incredibly dismissive of patient questions just because they begin with "I read online....".

Personally I'd much rather a patient that takes an active approach to their health than one that doesn't give a ****.

Reactions: 7 users

Eh. It happens to me a lot. I correct them and move on.
I did have a funny moment with two family members recently. I walked into the room in scrubs and before I could speak, family member #1 thought I was a nursing assistant and goes, "here's the tray." I dutifully grin and take the tray out of the room. Two seconds later family member #2 (who met me before) is screaming at the other one, "oh my god, Nancy! She's dad's surgeon!!" Cue them both coming after me and profuse apologies.

Reactions: 20 users
The organic worshipping thing is hilarious. I went to college with someone who's parents had an "organic" farm. Apparently it's common place to still use pesticides and then just rinse them away with a solvent when inspectors come

YUP. I read somewhere that something like 1/3 of organic products on grocery store shelves don't meet organic standards. There's also a fair amount of shady inspecting. But all that aside, what -drives me up the wall- is that people pay more money for less food because of organic labeling. "To avoid chemicals"

TBH I think this is a real thing
Really?! I'm gonna go read about this now. It seems so far fetched that a few hours of studying makes someone feel so hypoglycemic. Could also have been major hyperbole. Regardless, food for thought lol

and

One of my wife's coworkers is under the impression that you can "filter your urine" and then infuse it back in you via IV and it will cure "cancer".