They want me to be an RN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringMD585

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I AM CONFUSED AND STARTING TO GET DEPRESSED...

I am a secretary at a hospital in Atlanta. I've been working here for 2.5yrs now. My goal is to become an OBGYN I am very passionate about women's health. I don't see myself doing anything else for the rest of my life. I was able to shadow an M.D for a day and I witnessed a c-section with tubal ligation. That was the day that REALLY solidified my dream.

Here is my dilemma, I'm 21 and I'm not getting any younger. I don't have a huge family support if at all any. I take care of myself by myself. But being a secretary doesn't pay much and I've outgrown the responsibilities. All of the nurses that I work with for the past two years have been telling me that I need to go get my BSN and then take the required classes for Med school while working as a nurse since I want to become a doctor. The past two years co workers that I've started with I've seen them move up. I'm surrounded by great people doing great things. My hospital encourages education I was enrolled in school last year but since my job doesn't pay much and have to work 60+hrs a week to support my needs. I also had a family member that I was helping financially so when I would go to class I would be so drained and wasn't able to dedicate myself to my work they way I would like. So I did terrible basically wasted a whole year of school because I was failing the classes.
Then I come to work, and I try not to be envious of other people but the coworkers that I started with are all in a nursing program. Some are half way done and some just started but the fact is I'm just mad at myself because for the past two years I could've been done with school and made something of my self by now.

I'm scared deep down tho because at first I didn't want to listen to the nurses that were saying I should be a nurse first. I wanted to take the traditional pre med route because at that time it just didn't make sense to me to become a nurse first. However, the reality is in my life I'm going to have to do something because I can't continue to be a secretary any longer.

Would it really be beneficial for me to become an RN even though I truly want to become an M.D?

Members don't see this ad.

Only you can decide where you want to start, but the main thing to keep in mind is what you can take on and succeed in. At the end of your BSN, you have a good paying job, and have hit that checkpoint. At the end of your premed prereqs, you have to apply for med school, and if you have poor marks, you will have nothing to show for yourself because you won't be in medical school. You will have to perform well to get into and get through a BSN, just like your premed courses.

The term "making something of yourself" is a loaded term. You already are someone. You might not find that you are any happier just by accomplishing more, and I don't mean that you should give up on your goals. The point I want to press is that no matter which direction you choose, it will be up to you to find satisfaction in your life wherever you go, because once you get there, you will find something else that you will feel compelled to strive for. For instance, before nursing school, I thought if I could only get into a program, that would be enough, and I would relax. Once in a program, I thought I'd be satisfied once I got through it, then I would be able to relax. Once I was a nurse, I was focused on getting my BSN, and getting into the department I wanted to work in. Then it was getting into NP school. Now its getting through NP school. After that, it will be getting a job as an NP. Then I will have a drive to get a better job, or more experience so I will feel more comfortable. But along the way, I've had to consciously force myself to maintain focus on the things in life that really matter because its easy to get tunnel vision.

Its hard to see folks around you doing things that you feel like you are missing out on life, but with medical school, make sure you have the proper outlook because there are a lot of points along the way where you will be saying things to yourself like "when I get done with such and such, then I'll let myself be happy." But make sure you have a way to be satisfied with life, because a lot of the thresholds that you will want to reach along the way to becoming a physician will ring hollow just by themselves. You will have over more than a decade of those kinds of victories along the way. Once you get to the point where you are impacting patient's lives, will that role make up for all the things you sacrificed?

Reactions: 4 users
Greetings,

I am a secretary at a hospital in Atlanta. I've been working here for 2.5yrs now. My goal is to become an OBGYN I am very passionate about women's health. I don't see myself doing anything else for the rest of my life. I was able to shadow an M.D for a day and I witnessed a c-section with tubal ligation. That was the day that REALLY solidified my dream.

Here is my dilemma, I'm 21 and I'm not getting any younger. I don't have a huge family support if at all any. I take care of myself by myself. But being a secretary doesn't pay much and I've outgrown the responsibilities. All of the nurses that I work with for the past two years have been telling me that I need to go get my BSN and then take the required classes for Med school while working as a nurse since I want to become a doctor. The past two years co workers that I've started with I've seen them move up. I'm surrounded by great people doing great things. My hospital encourages education I was enrolled in school last year but since my job doesn't pay much and have to work 60+hrs a week to support my needs. I also had a family member that I was helping financially so when I would go to class I would be so drained and wasn't able to dedicate myself to my work they way I would like. So I did terrible basically wasted a whole year of school because I was failing the classes.
Then I come to work, and I try not to be envious of other people but the coworkers that I started with are all in a nursing program. Some are half way done and some just started but the fact is I'm just mad at myself because for the past two years I could've been done with school and made something of my self by now.

I'm scared deep down tho because at first I didn't want to listen to the nurses that were saying I should be a nurse first. I wanted to take the traditional pre med route because at that time it just didn't make sense to me to become a nurse first. However, the reality is in my life I'm going to have to do something because I can't continue to be a secretary any longer.

Would it really be beneficial for me to become an RN even though I truly want to become an M.D?

You answered your own question. You need to really want to be a nurse to be able to get through the education with a positive outlook. If you don't want to be a nurse, don't go to nursing school. Do some soul searching and find out what you really want to do. DON'T do things that you aren't excited about doing just because of what other people think.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings,

If you are not excited about nursing, you will not be successful in the nursing program. Choose the program about which you are passionate. Nursing is not for everyone. Some people go into nursing for reasons which are very detrimental to their health and work life. You will be burnt out quickly if this is not what you want. I understand the financial aspect of it as you will need to support yourself while you are in med school. But if you are sure you will be successful in med school, take loan and tackle it head on. My daughter wants to be a OBGYN physician but she likes nursing too. She has decided the route of BSN then med school which is quite fine since she has a passion for nursing.

If you are single with no dependents, go to school full time now and take the loans to live. Don't get pregnant as kids are expensive. Major in literally anything you can Get As in....doesn't matter as long as you can take the prerequisites as electives.

That is the fastest course.

As a side note, passion is overrated. You will either perform the academic marathon or you won't. It's an adult decision to grind regardless of your current emotions, not passion

If you are single with no dependents, go to school full time now and take the loans to live. Don't get pregnant as kids are expensive. Major in literally anything you can Get As in....doesn't matter as long as you can take the prerequisites as electives.

As a side note, passion is overrated. You will either perform the academic marathon or you won't. It's an adult decision to grind regardless of your current emotions, not passion

That's the worse advice I've ever heard. You will not survive nursing school if you aren't passionate about it. My school started 60 students and graduated 7 on time. I know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: 1 user
That's the worse advice I've ever heard. You will not survive nursing school if you aren't passionate about it. My school started 60 students and graduated 7 on time. I know what I'm talking about.
I know. There must be some passion in what you are doing.

I will say that I survived medical school, pa school, and undergraduate programs with very little passion (and two of the three are probably much more difficult than nursing school). I agree it's overrated. You just need to see the end game to survive.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

He said major in literally anything you can get As in. He isn't advocating for OP to go to nursing school. He advising the fastest/most efficient route to medical school.

How does your nursing program stay open? 90% of your class was incompetent on exams and couldn't graduate on time? Seems absurd. I also graduated nursing school and that doesn't add up.

Passion for the program is just a cliche that carries over from admissions applications. All you need is an adult level determination that what ever has to get done will get done. I don't get up at 4 because I'm passionate. I get up because it bleeping needs to be done for what this means to my family. I don't take crap from attendings because I'm passionate, I do it because it's part of getting through. I don't do questions on top of modules on top of presentations on top of 60+ hours/wk on ward because of passion. I can't explain to you how many premeds I started undergrad with who aren't in medicine despite how "passionate" they were...

It means nothing.

Your stat has no intrinsic relevance to passion, it just means your school has a crappy on time graduation rate.

I will say that I survived medical school, pa school, and undergraduate programs with very little passion (and two of the three are probably much more difficult than nursing school). I agree it's overrated. You just need to see the end game to survive.

Agree...fine line between having passion and having enough drive/OCD traits to get yourself through. I also went to PT school prior to med school and as one of the other poster's alluded to, if med school is the goal I would focus on that now. If possible I would consider a different line of work for the present, working 60 hours/week will make taking courses and doing well quite a challenge. During undergrad I worked as a waiter/bartender 3-4 times /week which paid well and also opened my day schedule. Also consider starting at your local community/junior college. Cheap tuition and small classes. Think I had around 20 or less students in my bio, general chem, and physics classes.

Reactions: 2 users
He said major in literally anything you can get As in. He isn't advocating for OP to go to nursing school. He advising the fastest/most efficient route to medical school.

How does your nursing program stay open? 90% of your class was incompetent on exams and couldn't graduate on time? Seems absurd. I also graduated nursing school and that doesn't add up.

Your addition is irrelevant. It was a direct entry accelerated for profit ADN program that got your pre-requisites and your nursing program done in 5 trimesters. The school cared about board pass rate and nothing else; if we got less than a level 2 on any ATI exam we failed the class regardless of our overall grade. We started 60 students, about half failed, the rest either failed a class and were pushed back a semester or went part time. 7 out of 60 graduated on time in the 5 trimester program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your addition is irrelevant. It was a direct entry accelerated for profit ADN program that got your pre-requisites and your nursing program done in 5 trimesters. The school cared about board pass rate and nothing else; if we got less than a level 2 on any ATI exam we failed the class regardless of our overall grade. We started 60 students, about half failed, the rest either failed a class and were pushed back a semester or went part time. 7 out of 60 graduated on time in the 5 trimester program.

Can't call me post irrelevant if you ignore the half of my post thay that called you out for telling him "this is terrible advice" because you couldn't be bothered to read his post in entirety.

The difficulty with that is that many people just can't hang on to the ride for that long without some passion. Thinking of the many people I've run into that have struggled over the years, they usually the ones that can't identify their motivation.

Can't call me post irrelevant if you ignore the half of my post thay that called you out for telling him "this is terrible advice" because you couldn't be bothered to read his post in entirety.

You continue to not read what I'm writing. I said you addition is irrelevant when you said my statement "didn't add up."

I made no comment on the idea of passion as a motivator needed to endure years of a difficult program as that is a subjective opinion I can't objectively prove you wrong on. That's the reason I ignored it. My opinion is passion is necessary to succeed, but that can't be proven. That was exhausting.

You continue to not read what I'm writing. I said you addition is irrelevant when you said my statement "didn't add up."

I made no comment on the idea of passion as a motivator needed to endure years of a difficult program as that is a subjective opinion I can't objectively prove you wrong on. That's the reason I ignored it. My opinion is passion is necessary to succeed, but that can't be proven. That was exhausting.
Talking in circles. Have a good day.

Talking in circles. Have a good day.

I directly challenged your insinuation that I was lying about my nursing programs rigor. When I said addition, I was referring to your math when you stated my post didn't add up, not your whole post.

I ignored the subjective argument that could not be proven.

Now you state I am "talking in circles." Please explain your reasoning.

Last edited by a moderator:

I directly challenged your insinuation that I was lying about my nursing programs rigor.

I ignored the subjective argument that could not be proven.

Now you state I am "talking in circles." Please explain your reasoning.
Ok. Read above post by sb247 first. OP clearly is not 100% in on nursing - sb advises him to choose an easy major (whatever he can get As in - ie. Not nursing). This is what smart pre-meds do (not me unfortunately). But its what makes sense considering OP wants medical school.

You fly in and call it terrible advice. I think you glossed over his post and assumed he meant nursing is an easy major...not what he was saying.

This is becoming convoluted AF.

Ok. Read above post by sb247 first. OP clearly is not 100% in on nursing - sb advises him to choose an easy major (whatever he can get As in - ie. Not nursing). This is what smart pre-meds do (not me unfortunately). But its what makes sense considering OP wants medical school.

You fly in and call it terrible advice. I think you glossed over his post and assumed he meant nursing is an easy major...not what he was saying.

This is becoming convoluted AF.

The only part of his advice that was terrible was that passion and success are unrelated. The rest was fine, which was why I didn't even mention it.

3c04e8044e2b0ebf56c6e382eb93dd15.jpg