The world has lost a great bodybuilder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NASSER EL SONBATY

was a mentor of mine. He was an intellect with a Master's degree in Political Science/History who spoke SEVEN LANGUAGES fluently: Kroatian, Arabic, English, French, Italian, Spanish and German.

He was also

ONE OF THE BEST BODYBUILDERS OF ALL TIME, touching many with his freakish size yet gentle personality.

The world has lost a great man.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WOwcPR2W2s[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, that dude was huge. Bodybuilding's not my thing, but I like learning about top athletes in whatever sport.

Good to hear that he was also a good guy.

A shame indeed.

Wonder if he donated his body to science. Can you imagine having a guy like that in your anatomy lab! HOLY SHNIKES.

Any identified cause of death? Would not be surprised if he had heart failure from all of the extra body mass and/or abnormal hormone milieu with the roids and frequent catecholamine releases.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like he had pyelonephritis?

I'm sure it will be blamed on "steroids" and while the doses these pros take (and duration) isn't likely great for you I'm sure the ancillary stuff like clenbuterol and even lasix is worse than the androgens.

It's an interesting topic for another thread perhaps, but do you guys think that a few cycles (well planned) are harmful to the healthy adult male? Not talking ancillary stuff (even INSULIN etc.), but the more traditional "gear" that sooooo many dudes are taking these days.

I suppose how one goes about it matters a lot. Not sure. Thoughts?

Sounds like he had pyelonephritis?

I'm sure it will be blamed on "steroids" and while the doses these pros take (and duration) isn't likely great for you I'm sure the ancillary stuff like clenbuterol and even lasix is worse than the androgens.

It's an interesting topic for another thread perhaps, but do you guys think that a few cycles (well planned) are harmful to the healthy adult male? Not talking ancillary stuff (even INSULIN etc.), but the more traditional "gear" that sooooo many dudes are taking these days.

I suppose how one goes about it matters a lot. Not sure. Thoughts?

sounds like you're aware brah.

Ive thought of this before. I used to take care of marine infantry guys so I had to read up a bit on some of this. I think if your healthy to begin with and careful about things then its prob fine doing something that is human grade. I think the trouble comes when people do things that are specifically for large veterinary practices. Some of those drugs are so much stronger and therefore side effects happen more frequently.

I had a group of marines using a drug called trenbolone. I had never heard if it, so had to research a bit. It was something like 500times as anabolic and androgenic as testosterone.

Ive thought of this before. I used to take care of marine infantry guys so I had to read up a bit on some of this. I think if your healthy to begin with and careful about things then its prob fine doing something that is human grade. I think the trouble comes when people do things that are specifically for large veterinary practices. Some of those drugs are so much stronger and therefore side effects happen more frequently.

I had a group of marines using a drug called trenbolone. I had never heard if it, so had to research a bit. It was something like 500times as anabolic and androgenic as testosterone.

My lifting buddy in college actually ran a cycle of tren. I wouldn't touch the stuff but it changed his life - positively.

When trying to keep up with me :laugh: he injured his shoulder, ended up getting imaging which picked up an incidental finding in his mandible, they scanned his head and the mandible turned out to be nothing, however, he had a grapefruit sized meningioma. Got it cut out 2 days after graduation and was walking around literally the next day. However, he lost about 40 lbs of mass and was pretty small to begin with because he couldn't resume lifting for months after the surgery.

Needless to say, he was pretty depressed because of the way he looked so he ran some trenbolone acetate and put on about 25 lbs which he's kept to this day. To my knowledge his di*k works.

My lifting buddy in college actually ran a cycle of tren. I wouldn't touch the stuff but it changed his life - positively.

When trying to keep up with me :laugh: he injured his shoulder, ended up getting imaging which picked up an incidental finding in his mandible, they scanned his head and the mandible turned out to be nothing, however, he had a grapefruit sized meningioma. Got it cut out 2 days after graduation and was walking around literally the next day. However, he lost about 40 lbs of mass and was pretty small to begin with because he couldn't resume lifting for months after the surgery.

Needless to say, he was pretty depressed because of the way he looked so he ran some trenbolone acetate and put on about 25 lbs which he's kept to this day. To my knowledge his di*k works.
Grapefruit sized?? Grapefruits are huge. An asymptomatic, incidental finding?
So, he dodges that bullet and decides to take veterinary strength steroids? Several parts of the story seem odd to me.

Wow, 47 years old. Sad.

Re: supplements - like usnavdoc I've seen a lot of young military amateur bodybuilders take a lot of crazy stuff from dodgy sources. To tell the truth though the bigger problem is weight loss supplements. A couple times per month we admit someone with rhabdo or with chest pain and a HR of 150.

Bodybuilding is completely natural.
scarymofo.jpg

A couple cycles spread out won't do much harm.
It's the chronic use of them over an undefined period of time that is the issue. The quality and quantity is just as important. Had a couple of buddies do a couple rounds during college soccer. They def. performed better.

47 is very young.

Sad indeed.

So, he dodges that bullet and decides to take veterinary strength steroids? Several parts of the story seem odd to me.

Another funny story that might paint the picture a bit better for you:

They put him on dilantin prophylactically when they initially diagnosed him. He had never had a seizure. However, forgot to take his dilantin during Texas/OU weekend in Dallas, and while walking out to his car had a grand-mal, ambulance called, lost drivers license etc. Never had a seizure in his life until he withdrew from the dilantin. So went from asymptomatic guy graduating from college to drivers license-less and tumor-laden fairly quickly.

I had him text me some photos just for you. He told me grapefruit sized, but unfortunately it's only like baseball-sized.

3ed2Bpz.jpg

tehHBDO.jpg

As for your statement at the end about dodging a bullet - in my mind he did what he could to recover from a debilitating injury.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, 47 years old. Sad.

Re: supplements - like usnavdoc I've seen a lot of young military amateur bodybuilders take a lot of crazy stuff from dodgy sources. To tell the truth though the bigger problem is weight loss supplements. A couple times per month we admit someone with rhabdo or with chest pain and a HR of 150.

Can't forget the 17-methylated and other epistane-based over the counter prohormones that finally got banned. Great way to nuke a liver.

Bodybuilding is completely natural.
scarymofo.jpg

Not to take anything away from the discussion, but I only ever really lifted weights under the notion that being more ripped might help me pick up girls. But then there's this guy. Obviously, there's an asymptote somewhere on the curve of the "ripped" X "scorability" function. Maybe it's even parabolic.

Not to take anything away from the discussion, but I only ever really lifted weights under the notion that being more ripped might help me pick up girls. But then there's this guy. Obviously, there's an asymptote somewhere on the curve of the "ripped" X "scorability" function. Maybe it's even parabolic.

The asymptote you speak of is, at least in this case, photoshop. Are you by any chance browsing from a phone?

Wow, 47 years old. Sad.

I think this along with extreme dehydration (dietary) coupled with powerful diuretics is what's causing some guys their lives. But, it's not the testosterone derivatives, though the orals can hurt the liver pretty bad if not very careful on dosage and duration.

Trenbolone, apparently, is about the most powerful steroid around. Originated for increasing "feed efficiency" in cattle destined for slaughter. Basically, they will gain X% more muscle for the same amount of food. Merck product (still available) and it comes in pellets which are injected into the ears of cattle.

As an aside, when you see all of these 18 (and ups) year old dudes walking around just STACKED, believe me, they are doing a LOT more than working hard and watching what they eat.

The crazy thing is that I really don't think that (like others have said) a properly/sanely ran cycle will do much harm at all to an adult male well out of puberty.

I've always had an intellectual curiosity about this stuff and can remember Dan Duchanes Underground Steroid Bible that was circulating around back in the day.

Again, aside from guys having heart and kidney issues from cutting drugs, many guys seem to tolerate even high amounts of this stuff pretty well. After all, Dianobol, Winstrol, Deca, and Anavar (not to mention Testosterone), have been around for a LONG time, and a lot of those guys seem to be doing o.k.

I do think that the guys in the Arnold era weren't taking nearly the doses that they do today, however. So, maybe this new generation of monsters won't be so lucky (I think they won't but can't prove it). Time will tell.

Elaborate.

It was sarcasm. I was implying that hardcore bodybuilding with heavy long term anabolic steroid use seems very un-natural. Maybe the pic is photo-shopped, but still not far from real life.
The pic I was looking for had a crazy ripped guy being led away in handcuffs. One of the weirdest body building photos I have seen. Not sure who the guy was or why he was in handcuffs. I did not find it, so not important.

Last edited:
Was there a thread for Zyzz too after he died? Brah??

NASSER EL SONBATY

was a mentor of mine. He was an intellect with a Master's degree in Political Science/History who spoke SEVEN LANGUAGES fluently: Kroatian, Arabic, English, French, Italian, Spanish and German.

He was also

ONE OF THE BEST BODYBUILDERS OF ALL TIME, touching many with his freakish size yet gentle personality.

The world has lost a great man.

When you say he was a mentor of yours you mean you looked up to him? Or you knew him?

Nasser was an interesting fellow. He fell out of favor in the bodybuilding world because he couldn't stand the lies the industry puts forth in order to sell tubs of powder to people with unrealistic expectations.

Everyone in this thread should see the film Bigger Faster Stronger. Its on netflix. Hormone use is literally all around you. Anyone who makes money off their body, whether competitive athlete, actor, actress, fitness model, is on hormones. Hell, the fitness milf at your local gym is using gh, anavar, clen and t3. The thing they have in common is they will all lie about it.

When you say he was a mentor of yours you mean you looked up to him? Or you knew him?

Nasser was an interesting fellow. He fell out of favor in the bodybuilding world because he couldn't stand the lies the industry puts forth in order to sell tubs of powder to people with unrealistic expectations.

Everyone in this thread should see the film Bigger Faster Stronger. Its on netflix. Hormone use is literally all around you. Anyone who makes money off their body, whether competitive athlete, actor, actress, fitness model, is on hormones. Hell, the fitness milf at your local gym is using gh, anavar, clen and t3. The thing they have in common is they will all lie about it.

I had a buddy back in the day who was a genetic FREAK for bodybuilding. I know for a fact he never used anything as back then real steroids were not easy to come by (at least nobody I knew really had any contacts etc.), and no doctor was going to prescribe "TRT" to an 18 year old bursting with testosterone. Also, he was one of my best friends and I just know for a fact he wasn't using anything other than protein powder.

This dude made massive gains. He got really big, ate well, worked out hard, and don't underestimate those genetics. Crazy strong, but also able to put on considerable mass. Guy was unreal.

Maybe there's one dude like that in 1000, MAYBE. Also, my buddy only got SO big.

The "kids" you see walking around at the gym with massive traps and delts etc., cut up etc. (or just bloated....) are putting SOMETHING very synthetic in their bodies.

My buddy was like an anomaly in high school and college. NOW? You see dudes bigger than that walking around all over the place.

Again, I don't think an adult will have hardly any non-manageable issues on a course of testosterone, given that he sees a doctor, gets blood work, and doesn't over do it with doses and duration (duration infinity is fine as long as he he knows he may never get his balls back).

BUT, the impact down the road for this new crowd doing "gear" that weren't even around 5 years ago, and doing them in HIGH SCHOOL??? At those levels? Prohormones which are liver toxic? That's going to be an interesting story, and stay tuned for the repercussions. I'd go so far to suggest it's an epidemic at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
That's unfortunate.

The act of putting on a ton of muscle mass, without steroids, does cause the same kind of heart changes that hypertension does. So, theoretically, any bodybuilder could be at a higher risk for arrythmia/CHF than non-bodybuilders? Just a thought.

It was sarcasm. I was implying that hardcore bodybuilding with heavy long term anabolic steroid use seems very un-natural. Maybe the pic is photo-shopped, but still not far from real life.
The pic I was looking for had a crazy ripped guy being led away in handcuffs. One of the weirdest body building photos I have seen. Not sure who the guy was or why he was in handcuffs. I did not find it, so not important.
This what you were talking about?
211greg-comedycentral.jpg

For the record, thats Gregg Valentino and he was injecting steroids directly into his muscles as opposed to (or more likely on top of) systemic anabolics. He took things overboard. Heres an interview with him if you're interested:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...=BDEF052867D515AD9262AE9C47FA5763-mcd02.hydra

As far as the subject goes, I echo the sentiment that a controlled cycle with accurate dosing and legit products probably does more good than harm. However, thats difficult to get your hands on for the average bodybuilder and those guys end up turning to the crap that destroys your body. I'm personally too much of a chicken to put anything that transformative into my body, but it is definitely an interesting proposition.

He was actually injecting Synthol in his arms (essentially oil) on top of the heaps of anabolics.

He actually denied taking Synthol in his interview. Which is funny since the other stuff doesnt sound much better.

What it is this: everyone accuses me of Synthol. I don't take Synthol. I was taking propionate and Equipoise into the muscle itself. Synthol just works one way: it stretches the fascia. With Equipoise and propionate you get the double whammy. You get the stretch from the oil plus you get the localized growth from the drugs themselves.

Synthol is like taking oil without the drug. It's like taking dead oil — like buying fake steroids without a drug in there. You can only get so much for Synthol. I've got 27-inch arms, what, you think I have seven inches of oil in there? That would be ridiculous; they wouldn't even look like arms anymore. Listen, I had 21-inch arms before I ever took a steroid in my life.

Synthol is like taking oil without the drug. It's like taking dead oil — like buying fake steroids without a drug in there. You can only get so much for Synthol. I've got 27-inch arms, what, you think I have seven inches of oil in there? That would be ridiculous; they wouldn't even look like arms anymore.
It sounds so right when he describes it...

He actually denied taking Synthol in his interview. Which is funny since the other stuff doesnt sound much better.

If he's suggesting that the esters from the Testosterone and T-derivatives are voluminous enough to give him those Synthol arms look, then man he must have either been injecting DILUTE fluid or he was taking crazy high doses. Probably the latter.

That's unfortunate.

The act of putting on a ton of muscle mass, without steroids, does cause the same kind of heart changes that hypertension does. So, theoretically, any bodybuilder could be at a higher risk for arrythmia/CHF than non-bodybuilders? Just a thought.

I thought this was due to periodic, chronic increases in afterload---> LVH??? Is that right?

Do you guys know how Synthol works. Basically you inject the synthol and pop that fascia overlaying the muscle which allows the muscle to grow and expand outside its natural fascia covering creating these bloated arms.

I may be wrong, but sounds like that could cause a compartment syndrome?

I met Nasser at the 1996

Mr. Olympia

where he took 2nd or 3rd...can't remember...

I had the privilege of being backstage during that event

Nasser and I kinda bonded, I guess because of the intellect thing

Nasser was an INTELLECT FIRST.....ummmm....dude.....he spoke

SEVEN LANGUAGES.
:eek:

We kept in touch for several years.

Sharing successes/struggles.

He was more than a Magazine Cover to me.

Know what dude?

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

The DISCRIMINATION against performance enhancing drugs is what it is man.

IT WASN'T ALWAYS LIKE THAT.

Back in the 90s

NOONE CARED.

Then all of a sudden "PUBLIC AWARENESS" of Performance Enhancing Drugs entered the arena....

Like ESPN says,

"C'MON MAN!"

Performance enhancing drugs have been there

ALWAYS

and will continue to be there

ALWAYS.

Athletes with MILLIONS OF DOLLARS

thrown in front of them and their

LIFE OBJECTIVE is to be

BETTER AT THEIR CRAFT THAN THEY ARE CURRENT DAY?

:laugh::laugh:

Yeah OK MAN.... we're headed for a

DRUG FREE ARENA:laugh::laugh:

No.

THE SCIENTISTS ARE ALWAYS

A STEP AHEAD OF THE

DRUG TESTS.

My personal opinion is

drugs cannot give you the ability to compete in a sport on a professional level...i.e.

YOU GOT TO THAT LEVEL VIA YOUR GOD GIVEN GIFTS

You wanna enhance your God Given Gifts?

GO AHEAD MAN.

:laugh:

Yeah Gern,

GO AHEAD WITH YOUR DRAMATIC ANTI STEROID POST

Gotta be honest with you...

Your post where you dramatically referenced

"VETERINARY STRENGTH STEROIDS"

Wow dude nice DRAMA.

Lemme CATCH YOU UP ON REALITY...

The most common "veterinary strength steroid" as you so dramatically put it used by bodybuilders is

WINSTROL V

from a physiologic standpoint, your description of

VETERINARY STRENGTH

OVERSPEAKS IT'S STRENGTH

from an anabolic and androgenic standpoint, it's not very strong.

It's a cutting drug....known for keeping one

LEAN AND HARD, MUSCULARLY SPEAKING.

Not a MASS BUILDING DRUG like the intramuscular drugs

testosterone cypionate/testosterone propionate/testosterone enanthate

or the PO drugs

Anadrol 50/methandrostenelone.

The veterinary drugs aren't typically used for SIZE so your words saying VETERINARY STRENGTH STEROIDS is just DRAMA MAN.

GERN, you've overstepped your

BOUNDARY HERE MAN.

Stick to posting about anesthesia.

You know nothing about anabolic steroids except for what you've read in the newspaper.

You're out of your league here, creating

MEDIA DRAMA about a subject you know

NOTHING ABOUT.

Last edited:
:laugh:

Yeah Gern,

GO AHEAD WITH YOUR DRAMATIC ANTI STEROID POST

Gotta be honest with you...

Your post where you dramatically referenced

"VETERINARY STRENGTH STEROIDS"

Wow dude nice DRAMA.

Lemme CATCH YOU UP ON REALITY...

The most common "veterinary strength steroid" as you so dramatically put it used by bodybuilders is

WINSTROL V

from a physiologic standpoint, your description of

VETERINARY STRENGTH

OVERSPEAKS IT'S STRENGTH

from an anabolic and androgenic standpoint, it's not very strong.

It's a cutting drug....known for keeping one

LEAN AND HARD, MUSCULARLY SPEAKING.

Not a MASS BUILDING DRUG like the intramuscular drugs

testosterone cypionate/testosterone propionate/testosterone enanthate

or the PO drugs

Anadrol 50/methandrostenelone.

The veterinary drugs aren't typically used for SIZE so your words saying VETERINARY STRENGTH STEROIDS is just DRAMA MAN.

GERN, you've overstepped your

BOUNDARY HERE MAN.

Stick to posting about anesthesia.

You know nothing about anabolic steroids except for what you've read in the newspaper.

You're out of your league here, creating

MEDIA DRAMA about a subject you know

NOTHING ABOUT.

Someone else mentioned that those steroids were most commonly used for large animals (veterinary, maybe I should have used the term meatpacking industry). I simply said it was strange, given the medical history of a large brain tumor. If it was me, I would not choose that course.
Funny that you accuse me of drama when you have thrived on drama and conflict your entire time on the forum. You wear your drama like a badge of honor. Nothing against that from me. Just strange, since your own drama has made you internet famous (or infamous) in this tiny corner of the interwebs.
I am truly sorry that you lost a mentor and friend. I am sure he was a nice guy.
How much do you bench, brah?

Jet, I suppose it was inevitable that this would turn to steroids and ethics, even though I doubt that was your intent in starting the thread. I sort of feel bad about helping turn a memorial thread into a drug debate thread, but I do want to respond to part of one of your posts.

jetproppilot said:
Performance enhancing drugs have been there ALWAYS and will continue to be there ALWAYS.

Athletes with MILLIONS OF DOLLARS thrown in front of them and their LIFE OBJECTIVE is to be BETTER AT THEIR CRAFT THAN THEY ARE CURRENT DAY?

Yeah OK MAN.... we're headed for a DRUG FREE ARENA

No.

THE SCIENTISTS ARE ALWAYS A STEP AHEAD OF THE DRUG TESTS.

You're mixing arguments here and acting as if one follows from the other, and that's not right.

Your statements that I quoted are absolutely true. I don't think anyone denies it. If I was an athlete near the top of my sport, a (probably mostly safe) course of drugs to push me over the edge to get a step on my competitors would be incredibly tempting. We can't pretend this motivation and activity doesn't exist. Should we condone it? That's another question entirely.

I actually favor legalization of all drugs, and I see no ethical or moral problem with someone making a personal, informed decision to risk using any performance enhancing drug they want. If, and here's the rub, they're not competing against people who don't use them, in an organized league/competition that expressly forbids their use.

If someone wants to use the drugs because they want to be stronger, or cut better, or to help pick up chicks, more power to them.

Look at the whole Lance Armstrong mess. His opponents who weren't doping (there must've been at least a couple!) worked hard, put in time, made sacrifices, and were beat by a person who was cheating. The fact that Armstrong got away with it for a long time because his scientists were a step ahead of the drug testers doesn't make him any less of a cheater, or any less a piece of **** than he is.

Armstrong's motivation is understandable, but not excusable.

My problem with your defense of steroid use in bodybuilding is the lie it's wrapped in.

If you think that performance enhancing drugs are part of the sport (any sport) then the only ethically correct position to take would be to eliminate the rules prohibiting their use. Otherwise, the sport is a sham. Lip service to fair competition, but widespread *wink* *wink* cheating. Unnecessary health risks to athletes because the secrecy gets in the way of safety.

Drug use in sport is everywhere. If you're going to accept it, bring it out in the open. If not, quit pretending that the athletes using in violation of competition rules are respectable. They're not.

Jet also the current industry favors people who are established and making millions of dollars a year. Due to the already established stars buying the designer steroids that cannot be detected. What this hurts is the young guy whom has professional talent but cannot break in to the leauge because he is not big enough or strong. So the rich get richer and the kids coming up get passed over. But I will say im not sure PED use in college football is a problem. If you look at bench press charts over the years kids have defiantly gotten weaker. I played college ball and knew a couple of guys that cycled some of them were good some of them still sucked ars.