The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I even said in the snapchat that I was probably going to change my username. :p
425341_342715342448144_244753448911001_972973_1972729869_n.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I totally did it to screw with everyone, and it seems to have worked. Mission complete. :shifty:

Actually, truth be told, I changed my username because I wanted it to be consistent with the username I use on other websites/forums. You guys can call me whatever you want, though; hell, some people still call me ketoone, for crying out loud. :p

Too late, you're sandy. Always and forever

Members don't see this ad :)
@JaynaAli Jayna Jayna Jayna jaynaaaaaB how's Winston?????? He's such a frigging cutie I xant stand it
He's fine. He's having surgery on Wednesday and I'm basically a mess. The logical part of me knows he'll probably be fine, but the irrational part of me wins out sometimes.

Tonight I'm lying around unshowered (the bathroom is being renovated) eating peanut butter out of a jar (I forgot to get groceries or cook) while recovering from a somewhat mindblowing visit from my mother, whom I hadn't seen in probably 3 years. On Monday, I need to show up at my first day of med school orientation looking like I'm at least capable of basic hygiene and function. Guess tomorrow night's a good a time as any for a quick 180 on my level of adulting, 'cause it's definitely not happening tonight!

Although really, there's an event featuring hydration every single night for the entire week of orientation, so I should probably be getting hydrated to get prepared and get into that med school orientation groove, right? That's totally what people mean when they talk about that 'pre-studying' nonsense. I'm sure of it.

Reactions: 10 users
Starting to feel all concerned that I will show up for the first day of school and discover that I am actually very stupid. Classic.

Especially great because a lot of the first day of orientation is stuff like getting TB tests and being given a locker.

Starting to feel all concerned that I will show up for the first day of school and discover that I am actually very stupid. Classic.

Especially great because a lot of the first day of orientation is stuff like getting TB tests and being given a locker.
Look at it this way, as long as you don't have TB, you'll pass your first med school test!

Reactions: 5 users
Tonight I'm lying around unshowered (the bathroom is being renovated) eating peanut butter out of a jar (I forgot to get groceries or cook) while recovering from a somewhat mindblowing visit from my mother, whom I hadn't seen in probably 3 years. On Monday, I need to show up at my first day of med school orientation looking like I'm at least capable of basic hygiene and function. Guess tomorrow night's a good a time as any for a quick 180 on my level of adulting, 'cause it's definitely not happening tonight!

Although really, there's an event featuring hydration every single night for the entire week of orientation, so I should probably be getting hydrated to get prepared and get into that med school orientation groove, right? That's totally what people mean when they talk about that 'pre-studying' nonsense. I'm sure of it.

Damn I was I was going to say good luck with your first day of orientation but I guess it's too late now... Well hope it went well!

Damn I was I was going to say good luck with your first day of orientation but I guess it's too late now... Well hope it went well!
It did, I think! I learned important safety tips like how one should avoid shrubberies (because you never know what might be lurking within, like muggers) and take care when crossing the street because it's hard to explain med students getting run over by ambulances. And then I met a bunch of people, got a TB test, and received an ID with a med student tag, which makes this feel much more real.

Reactions: 4 users
a dangerous shrubbery.

The security dude spoke in a police officer tone. It was kind of hilarious hearing him say the word 'shrubbery' quite so many times.
I wouldn't be able to hold it in. After hearing the word shrubbery more than once, I'm gonna be giggling

Reactions: 1 users
It did, I think! I learned important safety tips like how one should avoid shrubberies (because you never know what might be lurking within, like muggers) and take care when crossing the street because it's hard to explain med students getting run over by ambulances. And then I met a bunch of people, got a TB test, and received an ID with a med student tag, which makes this feel much more real.
So should I expect to learn about stranger danger and crosswalks in my orientation??

one should avoid shrubberies

a dangerous shrubbery.

The security dude spoke in a police officer tone. It was kind of hilarious hearing him say the word 'shrubbery' quite so many times.
But is it one that looks nice but not too expensive? Is there a kind of two-level effect with a little path running down the middle?

Reactions: 2 users
So should I expect to learn about stranger danger and crosswalks in my orientation??
I mean, it is hard to explain when your students lack the most basic basic skills necessary to survive in society. I'm hoping tomorrow's IT session includes helpful information on whether or not to stick forks into power outlets cause I've been feeling pretty curious and experimentation is the basis of all good science, right?

Reactions: 5 users
tips like how one should avoid shrubberies, and take care when crossing the street because it's hard to explain med students getting run over by ambulances.

I'm hoping tomorrow's IT session includes helpful information on whether or not to stick forks into power outlets cause I've been feeling pretty curious and experimentation is the basis of all good science, right?
I feel like these are lessons that @Doctor-S would be good at teaching.

I mean, it is hard to explain when your students lack the most basic basic skills necessary to survive in society. I'm hoping tomorrow's IT session includes helpful information on whether or not to stick forks into power outlets cause I've been feeling pretty curious and experimentation is the basis of all good science, right?
So I had this crazy grandpa who was always trying new things, taking classes, learning languages off tapes. He said he wanted to teach lil me about electricity, and that lots of ordinary things carry their own electrical charges. You can power a lightbulb with a pickle! You can find electricity in fruits! Let's check this orange. First, you get out this weird looking e-meter to measure the volts. Then, you take these two long, metal prongs and stab them into the orange. And look at that! The meter moves, showing that the orange has a charge. It's only a little bit. If you want to see it move more, then you have to get a more powerful source, like an electrical outlet.
Next thing I know, my grandpa is blasted six feet across the room, flat on his ass. We never did want to plug anything in after that.

Reactions: 8 users
I feel like these are lessons that @Doctor-S would be good at teaching.
I thought all medical students and veterinary medicine students carried forks and shears with them: they are required for your surgery rotation.

I think I saw @strider144 in one of the lectures ... shouting with excitement and causing quite a commotion.

students.gif

Don't start smiling yet @cdoconn - that might be what you look like in your upcoming lecture, too.

So I had this crazy grandpa who was always trying new things, taking classes, learning languages off tapes. He said he wanted to teach lil me about electricity, and that lots of ordinary things carry their own electrical charges. You can power a lightbulb with a pickle! You can find electricity in fruits! Let's check this orange. First, you get out this weird looking e-meter to measure the volts. Then, you take these two long, metal prongs and stab them into the orange. And look at that! The meter moves, showing that the orange has a charge. It's only a little bit. If you want to see it move more, then you have to get a more powerful source, like an electrical outlet.
Next thing I know, my grandpa is blasted six feet across the room, flat on his ass. We never did want to plug anything in after that.
I suddenly know part of a reason why genny is genny. :p

Reactions: 3 users
I thought all medical students and veterinary medicine students carried forks and shears with them: they are required for your surgery rotation.

I think I saw @strider144 in one of the lectures ... shouting with excitement and causing quite a commotion.

View attachment 222310

Don't start smiling yet @cdoconn - that might be what you look like in your upcoming lecture, too.
hahahahahaha that's exactly what I look like in lecture, you got me!

View attachment 222310

I am an old, so I sit sedately while the young'uns get all riled up, but oh yeah I am a basic life competency gunner. It's the only place I have an advantage!

I am an old, so I sit sedately while the young'uns get all riled up, but oh yeah I am a basic life competency gunner. It's the only place I have an advantage!
I see your basic life competency and I raise you one microwave that caught on fire because I put alumnium foil in it.

We got a safety talk during my orientation! The only bit I remember is that apparently a few years ago some guy hid under the bridge to the parking lot and tried to attack a student. :nailbiting:

A testament to how many Disney films I own . . . I was a little sad about losing the convenience of watching them on Netlifx, but that was it.
We've been buying all the movies with digital copies and can watch them all on their Disney movies anywhere app. You can even download them to a device, and watch them offline too!

You can definitely tell when there's a hardcore WW game because there's been so little rabbiting lately.

You can definitely tell when there's a hardcore WW game because there's been so little rabbiting lately.
Yes, I agree! As someone who is not involved in the game, it's definitely been different not rabbiting with everyone at least every couple nights.

Reactions: 2 users