The Under 3.0 Club part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over 5 years, this baby is still alive! :eek:

Keep up the strong work!

Members don't see this ad.

I have some really good news to share fellow sub 3.0ers.....I got my 1st acceptance today!!!! I got into MCG, after being waitlisted for a month. Keep hope alive!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I have some really good news to share fellow sub 3.0ers.....I got my 1st acceptance today!!!! I got into MCG, after being waitlisted for a month. Keep hope alive!!!

Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
I admit I don't belong here. But this is the best thread ever. :thumbup:

Keep up the strong work!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello fellow students 3.0 and under. I'm debating on what's the possibility of dental school for me. My situation:

- Graduated Spr. 06 with a cumulative 2.92 GPA in Chemical Engineering.
- Science GPA is probably around the 2.4??
- Failures I had: F in ochem 1, retook and got a C. Got a D- in ochem 2, didn't retake since my major didn't require me to. C+ in all 3 physics classes.

Still need to retake Ochem and take cell biology. So basically I failed Ochem twice. I know D schools usually do not like "retake of classes."

I got a job around 3 months ago and its a solid job BUT I still have the desire to go to D school. Do I still have a good chance on getting in? I would just hate to quit my job right now since it is very difficult to get a job in my area with my degree. Basically I'm stuck??

bump,...I've been 'bumping' threads the whole day!

Hello fellow students 3.0 and under. I'm debating on what's the possibility of dental school for me. My situation:

- Failures I had: F in ochem 1, retook and got a C. Got a D- in ochem 2, didn't retake since my major didn't require me to. C+ in all 3 physics classes.

Still need to retake Ochem and take cell biology. So basically I failed Ochem twice. I know D schools usually do not like "retake of classes."

I got a job around 3 months ago and its a solid job BUT I still have the desire to go to D school. Do I still have a good chance on getting in? I would just hate to quit my job right now since it is very difficult to get a job in my area with my degree. Basically I'm stuck??

Perhaps you can take night school to up your GPA. Maybe you can take advanced undergraduate science course instead of retaking prerequisites? I don't know. I'm not working, but I figure that if I earn straight A's from hereon out until I graduate (which is about 40 more semester hours, I can still get about a 3.0-3.1 GPA. If I add some post-bacc, it may be better. Add to that some research to round out my application. (I got some C's, D's, and F's of my own, so you are not alone in this.) Still, by my own calculations, I can still get a 3.0-3.1 GPA. FYI, I've taken about 90 semester hours already at other colleges than the one I'm at now.

Keep up the strong work!

Yah-E, you are the man bro!! Good to see you're still here!!! Hope everything is going well in the N.O. for you.

Marion

what happened to the first version of this thread?

I'm going to be honest with you. I would strongly suggest a postbacc program. But then again, you do have a chemical engineering degree which is a definite PLUS!!!! Work on taking some major upperdivision science courses and you make sure you ROCK the DAT and you should be good!! Let me know if you need anymore advise!!!

PDguy

Tough.............have you considered Dental Hygiene? It's still within dentistry and you can make good money. Otherwise, a postbacc program MAY do the trick but you'd have to kick ass in it, keep hope alive.

Hi, I'm in the same situation as Earsly, however, I am making the necessary steps to correct it. My first undergrad degree I did horrible in (2.1 gpa???). The last year I got a 3.5 gpa. However, I am taking currently doing 3 more years of
Bsc .chemistry and BA geography, and my average right now is a 3.5 and I intend to maintain that.

I've been on both sides of the tracks, and I am not sure if American dental schools will look at that as a positive or negative. So I will finish 8 years of undergrad, and I still am not certain if I can shake my shadow of my first degree.

Even if I did do a MSc thesis degree, I am still uncertain if I can get in.

Obviously the trend is going from BRUTAL to really really GOOD. Does anyone know where I should apply where the universities will see me as someone who turned their life around?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi group...I'm back with some more encouragement. I just got my 3rd accpetance into dental school. So far, I have gotten accepted into MCG, Meharry, and UTHSC-Memphis. I still say that anything is possible, you just have to sincerely believe it. Think positive thoughts and watch what words come out of your mouth. Put positive words into the atmosphere and watch the universe reply with positive replies.

Reactions: 4 users
Yah-E, you are the man bro!! Good to see you're still here!!! Hope everything is going well in the N.O. for you.

Marion

Marion, I hope you're studying....

I see that I've been booted from your MySpace friend list, I see how it is! ;)

NO is awesome! I'm loving it.

Hi, I'm in the same situation as Earsly, however, I am making the necessary steps to correct it. My first undergrad degree I did horrible in (2.1 gpa???). The last year I got a 3.5 gpa. However, I am taking currently doing 3 more years of
Bsc .chemistry and BA geography, and my average right now is a 3.5 and I intend to maintain that.

I've been on both sides of the tracks, and I am not sure if American dental schools will look at that as a positive or negative. So I will finish 8 years of undergrad, and I still am not certain if I can shake my shadow of my first degree.

Obviously the trend is going from BRUTAL to really really GOOD. Does anyone know where I should apply where the universities will see me as someone who turned their life around?

It seems like you should do enough pre-reqs to apply to dental school and an MS program. At the seven year mark of undergrad, if you can't get a good GPA then studying is not your strong point. As such, demonstrating ability to do graduate sciences work can only help your app. Your GPA undergrad will not be as emphasized as much once you've got graduate coursework.

My suggestion: if dental school is what you want any time soon, then a full time job will hinder your goal (or at least in your immediate goal). All distractions will hinder your dental school goal (girls, parties, full-time job) You need to enroll into a full-time post-bac program and kick @ss in it (all Bs and higher). For financial support, go for the full blown financial aid.

Ace the DAT ("perferct vision" club)

Apply for the entering class of 2010, submit your AADSAS in June 2009, take your DAT Jan-Apr of 2009.

what post-bac is better? to do a masters in science or to do 2 years of undergraduate work in Food and Nutrition....I already have my bachelors in science and a background in nutrition but I could get a new bachelors in science in nutrition in order to be a dietitian....what should i do? thanks to all of you :)

what post-bac is better? to do a masters in science or to do 2 years of undergraduate work in Food and Nutrition....I already have my bachelors in science and a background in nutrition but I could get a new bachelors in science in nutrition in order to be a dietitian....what should i do? thanks to all of you :)

IMO, I would begin the post-bacc program. Schools are more likely to accept a member once entered into a post-bacc vs. going back into an undergrad program. Also, it depends upon the type of postbacc. Try and focus on a program that's Biomedical. Preferably at Barry University (FL) or at Midwestern University (AZ). My good pal Andy recommended these programs being highly effective in the application process.

if i reapply, i should enter in a graduate program to better my app? should i finish the grad program out and wait to re apply or apply while im in the program?

if i reapply, i should enter in a graduate program to better my app? should i finish the grad program out and wait to re apply or apply while im in the program?

Apply while you're in the program. Don't worry about finishing it...

Yah-E,

Which dental school did you get into?

Yah-E,

Which dental school did you get into?

For Fall 2002

Nova Southeastern University
Marquette University
Temple University
New York University

For Fall 2002

Nova Southeastern University
Marquette University
Temple University
New York University

Andy, how's residency man?? Have you covered the anesthesiology portion?? That's got to be awesome!!

I am going to be graduating this May with a biology BS. My GPA is horrible with a cumulative ending up around 2.9 and a science around a 2.8. My DAT scores were AA21 TS 22 PAT 23, but so far I have been rejected from everyschool. I applied generally pretty late (end of November), but I don't see myself getting in next year if I reapplied. Should I be applying to a postbacc program? Of the programs I read about, most do not recommend taking them if I have already taken the core sciences as an undergrad. However I feel this is my weak point. PLEASE HELP

Hi group...I'm back with some more encouragement. I just got my 3rd accpetance into dental school. So far, I have gotten accepted into MCG, Meharry, and UTHSC-Memphis. I still say that anything is possible, you just have to sincerely believe it. Think positive thoughts and watch what words come out of your mouth. Put positive words into the atmosphere and watch the universe reply with positive replies.

I totally agree with you. I watched Opera the other day talking about "the secret", and I have tried to apply it and it works! Align yourself with the universe and the universe will align itself with you! My bf actually told me about "the secret" before, but watching Opera made me really apply it;)

is post-bacc better than a one year specialized masters

INDIANA

Hi, I don't know if this is a stupid question.
But, I am really desperate to know that if I reapply for the next cycle what do I do with recommendation letter?
Do I have to ask professors to rewrite them?
I am really worried since I don't have close professors.

i believe that you have to get a new set of recommendation letters, which would mean re-writing them. Also you want to consider the dates that are put on the letter, it would be nice to see letters written in 2007 as opposed to 2006

Thanks for the advice, I'll apply to indiana. Right now, I'll just stay in school, keep going. The risk is worth the reward.

Delta

I apologize. I thought this was the original Under 3.0 Club thread. But this thread is still a continuation of the original:thumbup: and therefore still is the best thread ever.

hey guys. first time poster, been lurking for a while.

Anyways, im in the same situation as many of you in this thread. My undergrad gpa is really hurting my cum gpa. I got my BA in Soc Sci and am currently taking upper division bio classes at 4yr university. Here are my stats...
Stats:
Cumulative GPA: 3.06
BCP: 3.36
DAT: 21/21/21

I applied for this cycle and didn't get anything. T__T I called USC as they are my #1 choice, and I was told my cum gpa is whats really holding me back. I have so many units now as it is, taking additional classes really wont boost up my cum gpa. What do you guys suggest I do?

Hey TakeMePlz,

I know a few friends with a GPA a cumulative GPA of 3.0, that got into dental school. Your DAT score is good. You should have gotten interviews in the east coast. Where else did you apply at and when? Did you have any dental shadowing, research, leadership, or volunteer work?

If you don't make it in this round, you should look into a masters or post-bac program. I've heard of one year non-thesis and predental post bac's. They seem pretty interesting, so you should look into them. There are a few threads on here that talks about them in more detail, so try searching back. I hope I helped. Good luck!

Hey TakeMePlz,

I know a few friends with a GPA a cumulative GPA of 3.0, that got into dental school. Your DAT score is good. You should have gotten interviews in the east coast. Where else did you apply at and when? Did you have any dental shadowing, research, leadership, or volunteer work?

If you don't make it in this round, you should look into a masters or post-bac program. I've heard of one year non-thesis and predental post bac's. They seem pretty interesting, so you should look into them. There are a few threads on here that talks about them in more detail, so try searching back. I hope I helped. Good luck!

I applied to a couple of schools on the east coast. NYU, BU, and Nova. I also applied to Temple, Creighton, UOP, and LLU. Still nothing from BU but this late in the game thats pretty much a rejection.
Is working for a dentist considered the same thing as shadowing? If so I worked with a dentist for about a year. I also volunteered at a local hospital.

The one year non-thesis masters sounds interesting. I'll look into that. Does anyone know of any of those programs in cali??

I graduated in '94 with a ChemE degree and about a 2.7 cum and 2.3 sci gpa. I failed gen chem 2 and got C's or D's in all my physics. My situation was a bit different than yours, because when I decided to do a post-bacc my coursework was so old that I HAD to retake all the pre-reqs. I retook all pre-reqs and then took every upper level bio course I could for two years (with summer sessions). I got straight A's, aced the dat, and had good, unique community service/EC's/personal essay. I got into two d-schools last year on Dec. 1st.

Your straight out of school so I would just take all the upper level bio courses at a time that you can handle. You need to show you can handle 15+ cr. hrs. of science at a time and do well (cause that's what you'll need to do in d-school) Obviously, that's hard to do with a job. If you're serious, you need to quit the job...if you're not that committed yet, just work an engineering job you hate for 3+ yrs. like I did, then resign abruptly and stop wasting your life. :laugh: I also don't believe that you need to do a formal post-bacc program (unless they have some admission arrangements with a d-school, in fact maybe you should check out Creighton's post-bacc)...just take a heavy load of upper-level bio/chem courses and ace them. In your free time do some community service that proves you want to serve your community...then do some research and apply to the right schools (Temple, Detroit Mercy, Creighton, NYU, Indiana...).

Oh, and thanks again Yah-E for starting that original Under 3.0 Club...that thread gave me endless motivation and I'm still proud to be a member. :thumbup:

hey what was your gpa?

Hi All, I have definitely been inspired by this thread and I think only good things can come from it. I graduated last spring from UT AUSTIN with a degree in biochemistry. Unfortunately, I started out pretty bad and graduated with a 2.8 gpa. The rest of my application is pretty solid though: started my own business junior year, was secretary of ASDA, observed over 250 hrs, tons of community service etc. I scored straight 22's on the DAT. I didn't get in my first time around, and I was lucky enough to land a job in an unrelated field right after I graduated. I make a very nice salary, but I still have this feeling that I never gave dentistry my best shot. Unfortunately, I can't decide whether or not to quit my job and pursue this dream. Obviously it would be a disaster if I spend 1-2 years taking classes and paying tuition and it didn't work out. Throw in there a relationship and you can tell I have a really tough decision to make. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi All, I have definitely been inspired by this thread and I think only good things can come from it. I graduated last spring from UT AUSTIN with a degree in biochemistry. Unfortunately, I started out pretty bad and graduated with a 2.8 gpa. The rest of my application is pretty solid though: started my own business junior year, was secretary of ASDA, observed over 250 hrs, tons of community service etc. I scored straight 22's on the DAT. I didn't get in my first time around, and I was lucky enough to land a job in an unrelated field right after I graduated. I make a very nice salary, but I still have this feeling that I never gave dentistry my best shot. Unfortunately, I can't decide whether or not to quit my job and pursue this dream. Obviously it would be a disaster if I spend 1-2 years taking classes and paying tuition and it didn't work out. Throw in there a relationship and you can tell I have a really tough decision to make. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If your significant other truly loves you, then she should support you regardless. If you have children, then that's a different story. Although you have a great job now, but if dentistry is what you want, then you'll always feel something is missing if you don't chase after it.

The longer you wait, the older you'll get and the longer you'll have to wait to enjoy your true career passion (not mentioning great financial stability).

Talk to your girl, if she tries to hold you back, get rid of her! There are plenty of beautiful available women that you'll encounter during dental school. Evaluate how bad you want dentistry? Only you know what's good for you. If you want it, then go for it.

Don't ever let family, significant others, tuitions, and/or age stop you from going after a career of your dreams. If there's a will, then there's a way. Good luck and keep us updated.

Oh, and thanks again Yah-E for starting that original Under 3.0 Club...that thread gave me endless motivation and I'm still proud to be a member. :thumbup:

Glad it worked out for you! This thread is intended to help others and share stories (successful and unfortunate ones). Now work hard in dental school and enjoy 4 wonderful fun years! :thumbup:

I'm still a member of this club and guess what....I'm going to dental school in the fall. So yes everyone, it is possible!!

Anyone here, not classified as a minority with a 3.0 Science GPA get into dental school recently?
Thanks

I'm still a member of this club and guess what....I'm going to dental school in the fall. So yes everyone, it is possible!!

Hey Shortset... It's too bad you decided not to go to MCG. We really wanted you here. I see you turned us down as well.

PDG

Anyone here, not classified as a minority with a 3.0 Science GPA get into dental school recently?
Thanks

Doubtful, and those that were not minorities and still accepted likely were born in a fortunate state that has dental schools beating off the out of state folks with a stick. Id love to be proved wrong multiple times however, would give me a bit of motivation :)

what schools did you apply to bporter1984?