the truth about Sri Ramachandra Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, I need some urgent advice. Basically I am indian but us citizen. I am currently in 1st year of pharmacy here in UK. However I am finiding the teaching appaling. The emphasis is on the student and we have to cover everything ourself.

Thus, I am tinking about moving to srmc next year to do bds. Any idea what teaching is like over there. Also g3k said that 60% is =A, dont the credentials go in order of 2.1 etc, whats this A business about?

i dont know how pharm is over here but... haha like i said its self studying here until you reach clinics sure classes are there but there soooo boring no one really pays attention, i mean if you need help obviously a teacher will have no problem one on one helping you... 60%=A theres no b/s like that here... 50%+ is a pass and 49% below is a fail... what is a 50%?? basically you have to know what your talking about then you will pass, before at srmc there used to be all this politics is TRUthBEtold's time where they would fail you if they hated you and etc... etc.. but it has all changed.. again you get what you put in.

Members don't see this ad.

wow.......I have some cousins (girls) who are considering SRMC as a potential choice but after reading this post, this whole thread actually, I think the best idea would be to go to Madras and spend a month there, talk to the ppl, actually see how things are run..........and THEN decide if its worth it.

Sorry to hear your experience docsri.

Knight

It would help them to take a look at KMC, Manipal too before deciding. As a student in Manipal, I've found very little interference in my personal life by my professors. The fact that you are seen walking arm in arm with your boyfriend will rarely affect your grades.

The rule of thumb is: Know your subjects, treat your professors with the respect they expect (you will have to do this, you've opted to study in India, when in India, do as India does), work hard and you'll be ok.

You can reach Manipal taking the West Coast Express or Chennai Mail from Chennai Central. It takes about 16 to 18 hours. Then take a cab from there to Manipal (depending on luggage or a bus) and donot let the cab driver charge you more than Rs.700/- or Rs.800 MAX.

so if 50% is a pass, and 60% is an A, whats 70, 80 and 90%?

Secondly when does term start and finish at srmc, I need exact dates please:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
hiii
im planning to go to SRMC n i was wondering when is it best to take the USMLE? Do ppl ever take it after the 1st or 2nd yr in india and is that a gud idea? Or should i take when i come back to the states? plz let me know .. thanks =)

many people just wait to do it after 4th year... usually the best time to do it.. but if you want to take it during your course the best time would be in 3rd year since you have alot of free time and you have just finished your major 1st and 2nd year classes.

hello srmc411...
it seems u r expreinced with stuf...
so plz do try to anwser my question....
Is it possible to do residency in US after MBBS in india....and will it gain any degree such as MD? if so....what are the steps...?

hello srmc411...
it seems u r expreinced with stuf...
so plz do try to anwser my question....
Is it possible to do residency in US after MBBS in india....and will it gain any degree such as MD? if so....what are the steps...?

MBBS = MD..
Once you completed MBBS go back to the US and take your USMLE's --> then residency depending on what you get on your MLE's.. SRMC's MBBS is all 50 states approved by the medical board. so your good to go..

MBBS = MD..
Once you completed MBBS go back to the US and take your USMLE's --> then residency depending on what you get on your MLE's.. SRMC's MBBS is all 50 states approved by the medical board. so your good to go..

nice..!!! so Is US degree is of less value when compared to MDs of UK/Aust/India...basically if it only comparable to MBBS? is it....
how long does one take to pass USMLEs??

Hi All, I'm seriously thinking about going to SRMC for MBBS. I'm actually going to India to visit in 2 days. (I live near Boston, MA in the US)
I was wondering if you guys knew about different payment options. My family really can't afford to pay $150,000 all at once.
Also, are residencies in 'good' places hard to get after coming back to the US?

Chicago and New York alot of NRI's end up after SRMC .. those places are FG friendly.. all depends on ur USMLE score... and your field of choice... but usually people do well and end up where they want to.. you get what you put in.

Is going back to the states to take the MLE's a better option than taking them in India?

Dude,
Why are u goin' to overseas medschool? You should go straight to Bollywood with your good looks. I am not very sure abt this ragging thing. but, it was very bad sometime ago. One guy in south indian medschool commited suicide because of ragging torture. it became a very big issue coz his dad was vice-chancellor of some university. so sad. It is not only physical strength to endure ragging, also the moral strength. Ignore the messenger and only watch for my messages.
Why did NYer come to US? My dad started his career as neurosurgeon and turned into a colo-rectal surgeon. He switched ends. He was the best butt surgeon in the town and retired. My dad wanted me to marry (his business partner), a rich gastroenterologist's daughter. He compelled me to this arranged marriage thing. There was no problem with that girl. She was cute and all. she just had mega auricles like prince charles. I objected it and my dad said that she can have plastic surgery in the US after wedding and tried to convince me. I never budged and he disowned me. He gave an ultimatum either to marry that girl or get the hell out of his house. I walked out of my house. I begged, borrowed and stole some money from my dad to come to US.
That is the story of NYer coming to america.

What are you saying, dude? A medical student cannot date and read medicine? That is so silly idea, man. Both are different tracks in your brain. Study center is located on your right hemisphere of brain. Chick center is on your left hemishpere. There is no connexion. How do you think Donald Trump was successfully running his billion dollar real estate business while dating string of hotties? What abt that talented multi-oscar winning Leo-dicaprio? Did you know that south-african surgeon Christiaan Barnard who performed the first open heart surgery in the world dated all those A list hollywood actresses during 70s? come on man, our Bill ruled the first world and romanced at the same time.

Your dad is absolutely right. Medicine is a suspense thriller. Doctor is like a FBI agent. Patient is the victim. Disease is the criminal. Signs and symptoms of the disease is the evidence. FBI agent has to investigate by doing laboratory tests. Diagnosis is the judgement by the jury. Treatment is the punishment.

I am an NRI, currently a senior in high school and I might be going back for college. One of the things that kinda freaks me out is stuff I've heard about ragging in the past. Do you think that there is any kind of problem with ragging at SRMC? Is it something I should really worry about?

Members don't see this ad :)
hahah no NRI will ever get ragged...

even if you are a local the worst thing i have seen her is asking a girl/guy for his number... its completely a joke.

hahah no NRI will ever get ragged...

even if you are a local the worst thing i have seen her is asking a girl/guy for his number... its completely a joke.

lol. ok. but how do the seniors know who the nri's are?
in addition to that, what do you think are the major things that new students should pay attention to?

lol. ok. but how do the seniors know who the nri's are?
in addition to that, what do you think are the major things that new students should pay attention to?

you live in the NRI block which means you will meet many people from the US.. and as days go by you will meet more and more people so its not bad at all..

you live in the NRI block which means you will meet many people from the US.. and as days go by you will meet more and more people so its not bad at all..

Thanks! That makes me feel a little less nervous.
Are you a current student at SRMC?

If anybody has any specific questions, feel free to PM me, I am a student here as well

I was told only 30% of the people are ablet o get into residency after MBBS. Is that true? I got admission in SRMC for year 2008. I am planning to go there. is it very stressful there?

I am currently a student in KMC Mangalore, I have to agree with the truth be told post about SRMC. I can also say that for those who are interested in coming to KMC mangalore or manipal, a similar if not exact fate is awaiting you. I have been through all the experiences that have been mentioned... I am from the US and I came to KMC right after high school... BIG MISTAKE!!!! DO NOT DO THIS! YOU WILL REGRET IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! If you plan to study in India, and your are an NRI, make sure of these things:

1) Do NOT under any circumstances let your parents have the final say in where you go to college! If you just open your eyes you will see that there are PLENTY of other opportunities in the US and else where to be successful. Whatever said and done, you have one life, don't screw it up by making bad decisions and letting your future be handled by anyone else. ( I am not bashing my upbringing... It was very normal and I respect my parents on every level...)
2) You shouldn't decide to do medicine in India if your thinking about time or money, medicine is a lifestyle, not just a career. (but this principle applies for anywhere in the world)
3) If you still want to come to India with all the points stated in the previous post about SRMC (which hold true for just about every college in India) make sure you have a very mature mindset. This means that your only focus is your studies and NOTHING else, those type of people do very well here...

If anyone wants to know more about KMC mangalore, please let me know. I have mixed opnions about this college but I can give a real perspective on college life here...

HI!!
I will be going to SRMC this year.. any1 else joining too?
I am really nervous about what its going 2 be like because i'm a NRI...
Can i have some info about the college and applying 4 residency after MBBS, please??
I would also like to know what manipal is like.. Is it recognised by medical council of india? i heard it is not but is recognised in the states. Is that true?

HI!!
I will be going to SRMC this year.. any1 else joining too?
I am really nervous about what its going 2 be like because i'm a NRI...
Can i have some info about the college and applying 4 residency after MBBS, please??
I would also like to know what manipal is like.. Is it recognised by medical council of india? i heard it is not but is recognised in the states. Is that true?

read my posts.. its not to bad man...
yes SRMC is Recognized by all 50 states.. manipal i do not know about

i dont know how pharm is over here but... haha like i said its self studying here until you reach clinics sure classes are there but there soooo boring no one really pays attention, i mean if you need help obviously a teacher will have no problem one on one helping you... 60%=A theres no b/s like that here... 50%+ is a pass and 49% below is a fail... what is a 50%?? basically you have to know what your talking about then you will pass, before at srmc there used to be all this politics is TRUthBEtold's time where they would fail you if they hated you and etc... etc.. but it has all changed.. again you get what you put in.

WOW!! 60% = A?! isin't that easy...? what about those who get higher?

WOW!! 60% = A?! isin't that easy...? what about those who get higher?

noooooooo dont get mistaken lol its hard to get a 60-75% you have to read your *** off... its different here in india.. like 50% is PASS.. not like in american standards where a 50% is a F... thats how they grade here... like ahh how do i explain it... like in indian to american conversion

50% = C ish
60%- B ish
70%+ = A ish

i unno if that makes sense.. but yeah

noooooooo dont get mistaken lol its hard to get a 60-75% you have to read your *** off... its different here in india.. like 50% is PASS.. not like in american standards where a 50% is a F... thats how they grade here... like ahh how do i explain it... like in indian to american conversion

50% = C ish
60%- B ish
70%+ = A ish

i unno if that makes sense.. but yeah

i know what it is like in india... i live in singapore now & did 10th, 11th, 12th here in a CBSE (its the indian system a.k.a. torture system) school (in CBSE 33% is pass & there are ppl who struggle to or don't even get that LOL!!)... hence i will be going thro' CBSE quota in SRMC and i'll be writing the entrance xam on the 25th of may!
which year are you in?

can some1 tell me where i can find sample papers of SRMC entrance exam? can some1 who has already written the exam in the previous years give some questions?
pleas reply to the post or PM me. the exam is on this cooming sunday.
thank you

which site should i go to to find out the colleges which are recognised in america?

To all those who really want the truth,
I don't know what part of the SRMC College Mr.Souvik Sen attends, but it’s not a true description of SRMC & RI in my opinion. For those students who have interest in medicine from the USA, this is not the college for you if you ask me. I joined SRMC straight out of high school under impression how different can college in India be. I was certainly in for a shock.
In this message I plan on setting the truth straight on many topics for those who need to know the truth, so they don't make the same mistake that I have

1. grading system
 - The biggest difference between the academic world of the USA and India is that in India all grading is subjective. This means that regardless how correct an individual may be, it does not matter because it is left to the subjectivity of the professor grading your paper.
- ex. - in my first year of college the first examination I had was call an internal examination ( the portions being a whole system within the body) the exam has 10 questions(2 essays(15 pts each) and 8 short notes(5 pts each) and 30 multiple choice questions(MCQ's, 1 pt each). After receiving my score I felt I had been wronged in terms of the grading. I was then informed of the most outrageous information. the professor told me that even though I had written the right answer, the most points a student could get was 4 pts out of 5 pts short noteand with an essay the most being 13 pts out of 15 pts. When I asked why I was told that there is no way that I could have written a perfect answer (or that matter any student). I was very confused by this method of grading. So if you look at the whole out of a possible 100 pts one is being graded out of, the highest you could get is 88 pts. in order to pass any exam in India one must get 50% or higher. If you are confused by this, don’t worry I still am as well

2. Quality of education
 -For students from the USA, all of you (as did I) will realize how spoiled you were to have the teachers you did in high school. I can not comment on the quality of education in an American college as I have not attended one. NONE of the professors in SRMC have degrees in teaching at all. Don’t get me wrong now, the professors are all very smart and knowledgeable but outside of a select few none of them have a clue on how to teach a class. A majority of them don’t even teach, they just copy the text book on to an overhead projection and read it out loud. I don’t know about you but I could do same thing and I don’t consider myself a professor( to think I paid all that money for this caliber of teaching)
 -In my personal opinion I have not learned a damn thing from my professors in SRMC. All the studying & learning done was by me on my own in my room. The people who helped me the most would have to be the students that were senior to me. Without them I have no clue how I would made out med school in India
 -Now I know all of the students from the USA are a bit pampered in the sense they have not had to deal with extreme weather conditions. I struggled the first couple of years with the heat in India. And NO the classrooms were not air conditioned. All a fan does is rotate hot stale air. But for those who choose not to heed this warning you are in luck as SRMC has just recently air conditioned a majority of its classrooms. But when you hit your clinical years, touch luck, the hospital is not air conditioned.
 -oh yeah, on a odd note, all the guys sit on one side of the class room and girls sit on the other (just weird)
3. student rights
 -As this may not seem to be an important topic while thinking about what college you are going to attend. When it comes to SRMC it REALLY matters.
 -Since the college is a ‘deemed’ university, they have total autonomy over everything and I mean everything.
-Examples
-The college looks down upon students who relationships with the opposite sex and it has long been felt that students have been failed for this reason (remember grading system is subjective)
-There is a curfew for all students regardless of age (doesn’t matter if you have an undergraduate degree, they don’t care). This is if you stay on campus
-If a professor decides to pick on you in class or on rounds, you will have to swallow your pride, because if you respond back you can guarantee that you will be failed on purpose (this is a fact). And when I say picked on, I mean I been dogged just for the fact I am from USA , nothing else (words cannot do justice to my displeasure)
-By the end of your tenure in SRMC you will learn, in order to get through college in India, you better leave your pride at home and work on your brown nosing skills
 -Just to make things clear – ‘YOU AS A STUDENT IN SRMC HAVE NO RIGHTS’
4. occupancy
 -there are no co-ed dorms for any you that had other plans
 -If you are a male student that stays in the hostel (the Indian terminology for dorms) there are no TV’s. there are TV rooms which are not air conditioned and are very uncomfortable for one to watch TV
 -Female students have TV’s in their own rooms, but their room size is considerably smaller
 -Each NRI has their own room, with its own bathroom and air conditioning facilities
-This means you must buy your own A/C and have it installed
-You are given a desk, a cot, and metal closet
 -If you live in the hostel that usually means the majority of the food you will be eating is on campus.
-In order to eat at the NRI mess, one must walk about a half a mile each way (this is if you don’t have bike or a car)
-The food served at NRI mess if not even fit for a animal to eat, let alone it be a human
 -In order to get to college from the hostel you must walk about three quarters of a mile (no transport will provided for you regardless of weather conditions(try walking to class during monsoon season))
5. outlets
 -beside basketball and weight lifting there are no real outlets for NRI students on campus available on daily basis, so get ready to bored out of your mind(literally); and for females there are really no outlets period.
-In end the reason I write this as a message of good will. I don’t want anyone to go through what I went through just because they didn’t know. Going to college in SRMC is not cheap, it cost me $100,000 dollars up front cash. The only saving grace of SRMC is that I have met a lot good people that I expect to be my friends for life, but truth be told if I had a chance to do it again there is no way in hell would I go to SRMC knowing what I know now. Once again this is not to discredit what Mr.Souvik Sen has said his messages, that is if you don’t mind all the things that I have just explained above. Any questions email me at [email protected]

truthbetold, you know what?? from reading your posts (in various threads not just this), i don't think you joined SRMC with any intention studying!! if you were focussed you shouldn't have any problems like the ones you have mentioned! and you said that you did most of the studying yourself. i don't know who told you that teachers in university will be like that in high school! university teachers have to cater to a much bigger crowd! and as far as i know, every student knows that before going to university! maybe your high school teachers din't tell you that! why do you complain so much about the rooms? in NRI rooms, you are given the permission to have your own internet facilites. besides, you are also allowed to fit in extra shelves and cupboards! what else do you want? i don't think fitting your own a/c is a big deal at all! and if you have such a big problem with curfew and stuff, you could have rented out your own apartment! if you think american colleges are like what you have in mind, then i suggest you read this book called 'once upon a campus' in which students from different universities in the states taking different courses have written comments about everything in their universities right from dorms to teachers to back stabbing and much more!
whatever you say, SRMC is one of the best medical colleges in india!
and one more thing truthbetold, if anyone is misleading people, it has to be YOU!

truthbetold, you know what?? from reading your posts (in various threads not just this), i don't think you joined SRMC with any intention studying!! if you were focussed you shouldn't have any problems like the ones you have mentioned! and you said that you did most of the studying yourself. i don't know who told you that teachers in university will be like that in high school! university teachers have to cater to a much bigger crowd! and as far as i know, every student knows that before going to university! maybe your high school teachers din't tell you that! why do you complain so much about the rooms? in NRI rooms, you are given the permission to have your own internet facilites. besides, you are also allowed to fit in extra shelves and cupboards! what else do you want? i don't think fitting your own a/c is a big deal at all! and if you have such a big problem with curfew and stuff, you could have rented out your own apartment! if you think american colleges are like what you have in mind, then i suggest you read this book called 'once upon a campus' in which students from different universities in the states taking different courses have written comments about everything in their universities right from dorms to teachers to back stabbing and much more!
whatever you say, SRMC is one of the best medical colleges in india!
and one more thing truthbetold, if anyone is misleading people, it has to be YOU!

Blah, blah, blah....i'm tired of this repeating this over and over again. Everyone who wants to attend srmc...do so, I really don't care anymore. Some people are destined to learn the hard way....and dude whoever u r, i love your counter argument utilizing a excerpts out of a book, but u some how knock my real life experience:thumbdown:. there are as many people who agree with what i have to say(on both threads)as there are naysayers. In the end its advice & information, its upon the individual to discern it. R90 do not speak on my behalf on what my intentions were when i joined srmc, u have a hard enough time of it speaking for yourself....

how is the teaching at SRMC now? i heard that teachers give notes which are good enough for USMLE.. is it true?

Hey,
I am currently studying abroad, and basically I've always been in a british based education system. I'm going to graduate next year, and I really want to do medicine.

1) Basically I have 2 options - UK or India (Canada, I've been told its rare that foreigners get places in med, and US, the liberal arts system doesn't appeal to me + the fact thta it'll take me somewhat 8 years just to get an MBBS, and Australia is not my kind of a place to study in)

2) Since the UK's EXTREMELY expensive for international students, I was considering SRMC, MS Ramaiah and KMC, in India. But I've heard KMC has been de-recognised...and from all that I've heard from this site...its kind of scaring me to apply to SRMC (I want to but then again...I'm rather aprehensive. I do intend on visiting it soon).

Any advice, any alternatives, any feedback...anything of some sort would be really appreciated

=D

i am in my 1st year (MBBS) at SRMC and have been for 2 weeks now... its not too bad..

Last edited:
Out of SRMC, KMC and Ramiah, KMC is probably your best bet considering you will find it easiest to acclimatize to your peers.

Ramaiah is also worth it, but being in Blore, has its obvious disadvantages.

KMC gets derecognized time and time again, but will soonn get its status back.

I would suggest JSS Medical College in Mysore.
Probably your best bet. Being a deemed university with plenty of inflow of NRI's and with a quiter city to live in

Out of SRMC, KMC and Ramiah, KMC is probably your best bet considering you will find it easiest to acclimatize to your peers.

Ramaiah is also worth it, but being in Blore, has its obvious disadvantages.

KMC gets derecognized time and time again, but will soonn get its status back.

I would suggest JSS Medical College in Mysore.
Probably your best bet. Being a deemed university with plenty of inflow of NRI's and with a quiter city to live in
Hey, I am interested in going to jss mysore next year. I wanted to know if it is open in december during winter break. I am planning on coming to india to check out the college. Did you go or do you go to jss? Is it a good college? What are the advantages to going there versus somewhere like davangere or belgaum.

I heard the tuition there has increased to almost a quarter mill U.S. Any truth to that?

How much is the required percentage to get into srmc for mbbs? Please rply.. im very confused

Reactions: 1 user
I have no idea... it should be on their website

its not so much that we have exhausted every oppurtunity in the states, rather it takes to long in the states. you have do an undergraduate, then MCAT, then medschool along with boards. all these steps cause massive amounts of cash in total and close to 8-10 yrs of time. in india, u can skip undergraduate, the MCAT and go straight to med school. also it is much easier on the pocket in the long run.[/