The "Should I retake? What do my scores mean? Are my scores any good?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Well, it's that time of the year again when PCAT examinees rush to their mailboxes every day hoping to receive those elusive PCAT score reports.

To assist future PCAT test takers, it would be best if there was one thread where people can view or request other opinions on their own PCAT scores rather than having to search multiple threads with obscure titles. So, here goes (this is a work in progress:))! Please, please, please keep the score reports and "Yay! I got my scores!" to this thread.

Note: If you really know how the scoring works and just want an opinion on your scores, then just go to Section V in the second post in this thread.:)

Thread Outline
I. Your Score Report
II. Your Scores
III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.
IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question
V. The Final Verdict
VI. Your Score Versus Your School's Average

I. Your Score Report

You should receive a regular, letter-sized envelope with about a sheet or two of paper. One that them should be a plain sheet with your scores. Basically, this sheet lists each scaled score with the accompanying percentile score for each section followed by your composite score which is a percentile based on the averaged scale score from the five sections. You will see your writing score separate from the other sections. Rather self-explanatory to me......

II. Your Scores

You mostly want to focus on your percentile rank, most particularly the composite score. That is the number that adcoms focus on during the primary review that determines if you get an interview. Some schools may go in-depth into your scores, but that composite score is the first tell.

Just as a reminder, your percentile score distinguishes your performance from examinees from a 1998-2003 standard testing group. However, adcoms compare your score to everyone in their applicant pool. Simply put, a 70th percentile means that you performed better than about 70% of the examinees during the aforementioned 1998-2003 period. The higher the score, the better off you will be.

Addendum: There have been many questions on SDN inquiring about the nature of the three-digit scaled scores one finds on the score report and how that score is used to get one's percentile score. To be honest, nobody outside of relations with Harcourt understands the system or even the true number of questions needed to earn a 90th percentile or any other score. Perhaps this is best explained in a hypothetical situation. After each exam, Harcourt examines the pool of test takers and derives a scale that corresponds to a scaled score. One earns a certain scaled score based on the number of correct questions answered. This scale is different between examinations and between sections to account for the slight differences in difficulty across test dates and perhaps even test forms within the same testing date. Te scaled score one gets corresponds to the aforementioned 1998-2003 pool. Based on past research on this forum, it seems that a 400 in any section will result in a 50th percentile and a 430 is "worth" the same for every testing date for example. Therefore, one is being compared to that standard testing group but any changes in the exam now versus back then is accounted for through the derivation of a new scale that accounts for that. It's just that the number of correct questions needed to earn a certain scaled score fluctuates and is determined for each PCAT administration separately. So, nobody really knows how many questions need to be answered correctly in order to be in a certain percentile.

III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.

The most prevalent question that examinees have after receiving their scores is whether the scores are good enough for admission into pharmacy school. That leads to the corollary question to whether the examinee should retake the PCAT. Before we continue, it's best to establish some guidelines. The criteria I am about to present is not a strict rule. It is based on generalizations of PCAT worthiness at schools. This is just advice.

First of all, averages are just that = averages. Just because you don't make your school's PCAT average doesn't mean your application is doomed. People get in with low PCAT scores due to a number of reasons, like:
  • Having a high GPA with great pharmacy experience and LORs
  • Having a great interview
  • ..and...having great "contacts" in the adcom, like a dad or someone
If one looked at the PCAT score distribution at each school, it would probably resemble something like a grade distribution we often see after taking an exam. That is, a few students get As, many get around Bs to Ds with the peak at Cs or the average and/or median score, and a few fantastically bomb the exam. So for competitive PCAT scores, you do have to meet the average score for competitiveness, you want to literally be in the middle of the pack. Sure, you want your scores to stand out, but the answer to the question "Are my PCAT scores good enough" simply asks whether your scores are a liability on your application making a retake of the PCAT prudent and advisable.

So, I think a better gauge for "competitiveness" is through the competitive range. Simply put, this range represents the majority of the school's incoming class. Ideally, you want a score that is at least in the range occupied by the middle 50% of students that takes out the top 25% PCAT students that get in and the bottom 25% who get in due to the other factors I mentioned earlier. Since each school has different distributions, I roughly set a range of five percentiles plus or minus the school's PCAT average. So for a school with an average of 80, the competitive range is about 75-85. Your score is competitive in that range, but it doesn't stand out from other applications nor is it a blemish on your application. Remember, I am speaking in general.

IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question

You need to consider your whole package as it affects the answer to this question:
  • Your stats (GPA, pharmacy hours worked) and LORs
  • Your interpersonal ability needed for an effective interview
  • Your writing skills (PCAT writing score, school-specific essays, PS)
  • Your "contacts"
If you have greatness in the above, than having a lower than competitive PCAT won't hurt as much versus the average applicant. If you lack some of the above, then you probably need a higher PCAT to compensate. For the purposes of this thread, we'll just consider how the scores look without any influence from other factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The scenario I mention occurs when someone earns a 95+ in math, verbal, and reading, but mediocre scores in the science sections to bring the composite down to 85. The most extreme example is when one does well in four sections, but has a science section lower than 70. In that case, the composite is a potential keeper, but one may want to retake the PCAT. More often than not, a score here is competitive but the PCAT could be worth retaking.

How low are you talking about? For example, I got a 94 on my PCAT but I scored a mediocre 71 in biology. I still got into pharmacy schools. I suppose the exam is worth retaking if your verbal is in the 60s or below, but you have to consider if you were "hot" in the other sections. That is, you scored higher than you expected and than you normally do on reputable practice exams (which doesn't mean many, but still).

P.S. Everyone else can chime in on questions. I'd like for this thread to become very popular so that future PCAT takers can get the whole picture.;)

Hello, I just took my PCAT Friday and got my scores.
I was expecting to completely bomb it, (and I kinda did?), my math and chemistry are very strong, but everything else isn't very good.
Verbal Ability: 43
Biology: 69
Reading Comp: 51
Quantitative ability: 93
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 82
I'm not sure how I did on my essay, but I don't think it was amazing. I have a 3.64 GPA and I'm pretty sure I'll be bringing that close to a 3.7-3.8 by the time I'm done with prereqs. Please give me honest advice! Should I retake the test? I read everything you said, but I just don't know if the schools will focus on my low scores or be impressed with the hong ones, (unless they expect high science and math scores.) I just don't want to retake and end up with a lower math and chem :/

Hello! Took the PCAT last Friday.. Did better than I thought I would, But pretty much bombed the two (in my opinion) most important areas: math and Chem

Verbal: 82
Biology:89
Reading: 97
Quant:55
Chem: 41

I have a 3.87 GPA, and shadowing experience in a few different settings. I am assuming I should retake.. But just wanted to hear the opinion of others! Thanks

hey! I took the PCAT today and my scores are as follow:
verbal 409/63
Bio 435/92
RC 396 43
QA 410/67
CHM 484/99
Comp 427/92

3.4cGPA (2.8 first year, ~3.75 2nd year, ~3.8 third year. + hopefully another 3.7)

should I retake the PCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
verbal 409/63
Bio 435/92
RC 396 43
QA 410/67
CHM 484/99
Comp 427/92

3.4cGPA (2.8 first year, ~3.75 2nd year, ~3.8 third year. + hopefully another 3.7)

definitely retake. try to get a hundred this time.

Reactions: 3 users
15264415122_69641ac36a_o.gif

Hi there I just took my pcat oct 6.
my scores are:
verbal-60%
bio-69%
chem-97%
RC-23%
math-98%
comp- 88%
my reading comp is extremely low so im not sure if there is a cut off for each subsection and whether I need to retake?

I took my PCAT in September.
my scores are as follows:

Verbal - 63%
Biology - 79%
Reading Comp - 98%
Math - 67%
Chemistry - 61%
Composite - 82%

I also scored a 5/6 on the writing portion. Any thoughts on this? Would a retake be necessary? I'm about to submit all of my applications.

Hey guys i just took my pcats this week and got my prelim score

Verbal - 68%
Biology - 95%
Reading Comp - 20%
Math - 93%
Chemistry - 93%
Composite - 87

so im going to be applying to schools in PA, NY, and NJ. do u think i will have a shot with 3.0 gpa and few years of pharmacy tech experience in retain? i also have BS.

My preliminary score is
Verbal - 87
Biology - 79
RC - 68
Quant - 95
Chem - 98
Composite - 94

I have a 2.78 GPA and an undergrad in chemical engineering. I'm worried about the bio score being too low. Trying to get into Midwestern Glendale. Should I retake it?

1st Pcat / 2nd pcat
Bio 99 / 89
Chem 99 / 68
Math 70 /51
Reading 34/ 90
Verbal 61 /87
Composite 96 /84
Should I retake ..mainly because of lower scores in Chem and Math the 2nd time.

So confused..

Gpa 3.9

1st Pcat / 2nd pcat
Bio 99 / 89
Chem 99 / 68
Math 70 /51
Reading 34/ 90
Verbal 61 /87
Composite 96 /84
Should I retake ..mainly because of lower scores in Chem and Math the 2nd time.

So confused..

Gpa 3.9
I'm trying to understand why you tried to retake it in the first place...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, took the PCAT today and I am very happy with overall score, BUT I want an opinion about a low subtest score.

Here's the preliminary:

VA 427 / 87
BIO 434 / 91
RC 425 / 90
QA 399 / 45 !!!:eek:
CHEM 455 / 98
COMPOSITE 428 / 93%

I really don't want to retake because of QA score. Thoughts???

Also, I froze on the writing. Just froze and didn't accomplish much for that section. Does anyone have any insight about how much that affects score???

Ok, took the PCAT today and I am very happy with overall score, BUT I want an opinion about a low subtest score.

Here's the preliminary:

VA 427 / 87
BIO 434 / 91
RC 425 / 90
QA 399 / 45 !!!:eek:
CHEM 455 / 98
COMPOSITE 428 / 93%

I really don't want to retake because of QA score. Thoughts???

Also, I froze on the writing. Just froze and didn't accomplish much for that section. Does anyone have any insight about how much that affects score???
you should def. retake lol ;)

Only because of the 34 in reading.
well the harm is already done just move forward, the high majority of schools I believe only accept your highest score, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you if this will hinder your application because now that you have a lower score I think (and I might be wrong) from what I've heard, some high end schools will wonder why you scored so much lower. either way If you apply to at least 2-4 schools you're definitely a shoe in. 2 school applications would probably do it as well but I personally don't like taking chances. It also depends what school you're applying to but your 3.9 GPA and 90+ PCAT is more than enough IMO.

Hello all!

I decided to take my first PCAT cold (I know, bad move).

Here's my pre-lims:

VA: 87
Bio: 99
RC: 53
QA: 13
Chem: 76
Composite: 79

Needless to say, they're not good. I was really surprised with the Math section. I've gone all the way up to Calc III, so I thought my background would have been adequate, although it's been a few years. I didn't even get to finish the section. I'm going to focus on QA for the next 2 months, brush up on some chemistry I've obviously forgot (I'm thinking synthesis reactions got me), and try to develop some better strategies for reading.

Some people have told me a 70+ composite is decent enough, and none of my schools require a particular subscore (I think one only wants a 300+ when you add up the percentile ranks), but I just can't get past that 13. It's just horrendous.

Crossing my fingers for Jan '15.

Hello all!

Here's my pre-lims:

Needless to say, they're not good. I was really surprised with the Math section. I've gone all the way up to Calc III, so I thought my background would have been adequate, although it's been a few years. I didn't even get to finish the section. I'm going to focus on QA for the next 2 months, brush up on some chemistry I've obviously forgot (I'm thinking synthesis reactions got me), and try to develop some better strategies for reading.

Some people have told me a 70+ composite is decent enough, and none of my schools require a particular subscore (I think one only wants a 300+ when you add up the percentile ranks), but I just can't get past that 13. It's just horrendous.

that is pretty bad but apply with it, I think you should be fine as long as you apply to more than 3 schools IMO

that is pretty bad but apply with it, I think you should be fine as long as you apply to more than 3 schools IMO

I know, its terrible. I'm going over some of the Math now and I made some pretty careless mistakes. Oh well, can only learn from it.

I'm intending on applying to LIU, Touro, UB, Fairleigh Dickinson, and USciences Philadelphia.
I do intend on taking it again in January, but wanted my application out before that. Hoping my degree in Biochem (3.5 GPA) and 3 years as a retail P. Tech / current hospital P. Tech will somewhat round it out a bit. We shall see!

Thanks

my prelimiinary score report follows:
Verbal: 403/52
Bio: 430/89
Reading comprehension: 377/15
Quantitative ability: 430/91
Chemistry: 449/97
Composite: 418/82

Do I have a chance to get in a pharmacy school ? My RC is really low and I dont have any experience in the field yet. Greatly appreciate for your reply

I agree that it seems silly to even think about retaking, but I blew that writing part. Maybe I'll be able to talk my way out of it in the interview (assuming I get one) because I know they will ask!
so I should retake it. Is that your suggestion ?

Hello everyone! Took the PCAT yesterday and did WAY better than I was expecting! Need some help on deciding if I should take it again in January:

VA: 443/96
Bio: 440/95
RC: 425/90
QA: 404/55
Chem: 422/81
Composite: 427/92

I'm definitely happy with my overall score, but the catch is my GPA is low! I would guess around a 2.8 (PharmCAS hasn't calculated it yet) but my past 2 years have been a 3.7 or so. Since my GPA is a weak spot on the application, do you recommend taking it again and working on improving my Chem and Math scores? Also, if I do worse the second time around then what happens? Greatly appreciate anyone's advice!

Hello good people, I took the PCAT for the second time on Nov 3, and my composite went up 11% from 57 to 68. Here are my prelim scores:

Verbal: 423/82
Biology: 425/84
Reading: 416/79
QA: 381/13
Chemistry: 405/56
Composite: 410/68

I believe I did just fine on the essay section since I wrote a complete essay with time to go back, and take care of any possible grammatical errors. I didn't get to finish the QA section. :-( My top two choices for pharmacy school are South University in Savannah, and PCOM GA campus. Is my composite good enough for these schools? Im assuming they are low tier, because I believe I have read that PCOM considers a composite <45 not competitive, and South University's average is 45 for the class of 2017. My regular GPA is mid 2's, and science GPA is in the high 2's, but after this semester it should be in the low 3's. My classes this semester are Micro, Molecular, Biostat, and undergrad research. I have an associates degree in chemistry, and certification in medical coding. No experience working in a pharmacy, unfortunately.

I've noticed that a lot of people posting with concerns have high QA scores paired with low verbal or reading scores. My situation is the exact opposite. Language arts has always been my strong point, math has always been my weakness. Is this going to stop me from getting in these schools? Im not trying to get into the best school in the country, I just want to get into pharmacy school! The board exam doesn't care what school you went to, and neither does your future employer. I guess I have no choice but to retake, and try to bring up my QA score, but what east coast or southern schools should I be applying to? LAST QUESTION! Is QA considered a science subsection? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Just took the PCAT today! Got my preliminary Scores and was so excited I had to post.
Verbal Ability 478 - 99
Biology 435 - 92
Reading Comprehension 448 - 99
Quantitative Ability 468 - 99
Chemistry 455 - 98
Composite 457 - 99

No way am I going to retake! LOL!!!:soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Just took the PCAT today
Verbal: 38
Biology:97
Reading Comprehension: 18
Quantitative: 98
Chemistry: 99
Composite: 94

The RC and verbal really got me, but my first time taking it and wanted to see how it is. English isn't my language as well. Should I retake? :shrug:

Just took the PCAT today
Verbal: 38
Biology:97
Reading Comprehension: 18
Quantitative: 98
Chemistry: 99

The RC and verbal really got me, but my first time taking it and wanted to see how it is. English isn't my language as well. Should I retake? :shrug:

Honestly,if I were you I'd go ahead and apply with those scores. Your composite score is still very high, and the fact that English isn't your native language helps to mitigate the low verbal and reading scores. Just be prepared to talk about the low scores during the interview process. As a native English speaker who has studied other languages, I can't imagine taking an exam like the PCAT in those languages.

Verbal:91
Biology: 51
Reading Comprehension: 99
Quantitative: 49
Chemistry: 74
I have a 2.76 GPA (had a semester where I couldn't get to my school but it was too late to drop classes) I'm applying to NSU right now. How do you guys see my chances? I've been doing shadowing and comm. service at 2 pharmacies

Verbal:91
Biology: 51
Reading Comprehension: 99
Quantitative: 49
Chemistry: 74
I have a 2.76 GPA (had a semester where I couldn't get to my school but it was too late to drop classes) I'm applying to NSU right now. How do you guys see my chances? I've been doing shadowing and comm. service at 2 pharmacies

Honestly, it's hard to say. I think your PCAT score is probably good enough to get an interview, and I think the interview is the most important part of getting accepted. If you do get the interview, I'm sure the GPA issue will come up, so be prepared to discuss it. Good luck, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :cat:

Just some food for thought, but people need to stop with the sarcastic answers like,

"oh you should definitely retake it,"

when in actuality people are genuinely confused if their scores make them a competitive applicant or not.

People are taking the time to post their scores and get advice, so if you are gracious enough to be taking time out of your day to write a response, please make it a useful one and not a sarcastic one.

verbal: 91
biology: 74
reading: 69
quantitative: 51
chemistry: 95
composite: 87
writing: 3
I just got the official scores today. I'm tempted to retake because of the low math and bio score but I'm not sure If i want to risk the high chemistry score. I did not study for this test so I know I can do better on some sections. The problem is the money for a second test. How much does one really low score really matter?

My official score report just got here
VA: 94
BIO: 57
RC: 99
QA: 49
CHEM: 72
Writing: 3.5
Comp: 94
I have a 2.76 GPA due to a very bad semester and am applying to NSU for August, and I'm finishing my prereqs now, though I have over 90 approved credits.

I have a 2.76 GPA due to a very bad semester and am applying to NSU for August, and I'm finishing my prereqs now, though I have over 90 approved credits.
nice score, but I am a bit worried how ur scores in the sciences are not the best. Pharmacy school is heavy science based. Just an observation

I just got the official scores today. I'm tempted to retake because of the low math and bio score but I'm not sure If i want to risk the high chemistry score. I did not study for this test so I know I can do better on some sections. The problem is the money for a second test. How much does one really low score really matter?
Pretty competitive scores. Again it is an overall application but those scores are well above average.

Just took the PCAT today! Got my preliminary Scores and was so excited I had to post.
Verbal Ability 478 - 99
Biology 435 - 92
Chemistry 455 - 98
Composite 457 - 99

Whoah. Scores like that Pharm schools are almost going to pay you to attend

Hey my brother just got his preliminary scores for the PCAT
Verbal : 18%
Reading: 20%
Biology : 84%
QA : 81%
Chemistry: 93%
Composite: 66%

Obviously did really bad on Verbal and RC, but his other three sections were decent. His GPA is a 3.3 from UMD (3.1 3 years at umd, 3.6 1 year at cc). Regularly volunteers at the school's pharmacy, part of a few student groups, volunteers at events frequently, member of the Pharmacy student association on campus.

What are his chances of getting accepted (considering he works on his GPA this last semester and his application and LORs). Currently he's thinking of retaking the PCAT in July (that's the next date I think?) What do you guys think, should he retake the PCAT? Could use some more opinions, do people get accepted with scores like this?
His top school choices are:
University of Maryland
Notre Dame of Maryland University
Howard University
University of Maryland Eastern Shore; School of Pharmacy
University of Louisiana at monroe pharmacy

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks! :)

His GPA is pretty average I'd say, and his loads of experience will really help him. By the types of experiences he has I think it shows already that he sincerely has a passion to pursue pharmacy and as long as he demonstrates that during interviews I'm fairly certain he will get some acceptances. Problem is actually getting an interview. I would personally retake it to make ensure to get an interview. My first time taking the PCAT I got a 9 in RC a 25ish in VA and subpar science scores. Tell him to do maybe 1RC a week til July just to have practise, study the Collins vocab list (I found it online), but mainly focus on getting bio chem and math to High 90s. (oh and make sure he does the Pearson tests).

My RC went up to 19 lol. It doubled so I guess that's good? But you can only improve that so much. VA went up to 49, and I got a 99 in bio, 95 chem, 91 QA and 89 composite. Got interviews everywhere I've applied to so far and accepted everywhere I interviewed.

Another advantage of improving his past score is if he decides to pursue a dual pharmd/MBA like I am, many schools will consider PCAT instead of making you take the GMAT.

I know it sucks having to rewrite, but if he's motivated I'm sure he'll kill it. Goodluck

Verbal Ability 478 - 99
Biology 435 - 92
Chemistry 455 - 98
Composite 457 - 99

Soooooo Good for you man!!!!! WOW. maybe you could teach me a thing or 2..

so i got my PharmCAS and my GPA right now is 2.54 due to a bad semester . I scodred in the 94th percentile. Any chances of getting into NSU?

so i got my PharmCAS and my GPA right now is 2.54 due to a bad semester . I scodred in the 94th percentile. Any chances of getting into NSU?
u might be able to get a interview invite, but u r applying real late right now. IDK how many seats would be available by the time they get everything

u might be able to get a interview invite, but u r applying real late right now. IDK how many seats would be available by the time they get everything
I actually applied around late january. It's justthat PharmCAS eith all its inner workings finished everything now

Hello, I just took my PCAT Friday and got my scores.
I was expecting to completely bomb it, (and I kinda did?), my math and chemistry are very strong, but everything else isn't very good.
Verbal Ability: 43
Biology: 69
Reading Comp: 51
Quantitative ability: 93
Chemistry: 95
I'm not sure how I did on my essay, but I don't think it was amazing. I have a 3.64 GPA and I'm pretty sure I'll be bringing that close to a 3.7-3.8 by the time I'm done with prereqs. Please give me honest advice! Should I retake the test? I read everything you said, but I just don't know if the schools will focus on my low scores or be impressed with the hong ones, (unless they expect high science and math scores.) I just don't want to retake and end up with a lower math and chem :/
seriously be brave people, u got this far, u can do it. N GET BETTER. SERIOUSLY IF I DONT GET IN, I DONT MIND SPENDING ANOTHER YEAR DOING THE PCAT PRAC. I know my children will get smarter due TO MY DNA. HAHA

verbal 409/63
Bio 435/92
RC 396 43
QA 410/67
CHM 484/99
Comp 427/92

Did u get in!? NICEEEEE JOBBBBBB PCAT 92222222222

Wow who does that, if I showed this to my friend he might shoot himself his been trying to score just a 50 and you retake it because of one low score??
how's yr friend doing? i had a 50 n im most porud of that

Hello all!

Here's my pre-lims:

i took calc 1 and was really good at it. but same boat as you, thought i would passs math with flying colors but didn't. But in reality pcat math easier than calc. yr already smart just need to tweak a little to pcat math and will do well! how did u do with admission, get in? whats yr future goal?

How's yr admission doing? I just got a courtesy call today NSU. U can do it bro, keep yr hope up so the adcom can feed off yr energy ! I have low GPA

definitely retake. try to get a hundred this time.
Can u share yr reading techniques so i can see how u did and compared it with mine to figure out what im doing wrong so we can fix this. its about strategy

nice scores, we got same, we can get better. we're already smart. our minds are like muscle we lift heavier after rest. just do it. just practice :) LECOM has accepted student s with 20-30s pcat, *_* why??? with 3.4-3.9 gpa, lol