The "Should I retake? What do my scores mean? Are my scores any good?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Well, it's that time of the year again when PCAT examinees rush to their mailboxes every day hoping to receive those elusive PCAT score reports.

To assist future PCAT test takers, it would be best if there was one thread where people can view or request other opinions on their own PCAT scores rather than having to search multiple threads with obscure titles. So, here goes (this is a work in progress:))! Please, please, please keep the score reports and "Yay! I got my scores!" to this thread.

Note: If you really know how the scoring works and just want an opinion on your scores, then just go to Section V in the second post in this thread.:)

Thread Outline
I. Your Score Report
II. Your Scores
III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.
IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question
V. The Final Verdict
VI. Your Score Versus Your School's Average

I. Your Score Report

You should receive a regular, letter-sized envelope with about a sheet or two of paper. One that them should be a plain sheet with your scores. Basically, this sheet lists each scaled score with the accompanying percentile score for each section followed by your composite score which is a percentile based on the averaged scale score from the five sections. You will see your writing score separate from the other sections. Rather self-explanatory to me......

II. Your Scores

You mostly want to focus on your percentile rank, most particularly the composite score. That is the number that adcoms focus on during the primary review that determines if you get an interview. Some schools may go in-depth into your scores, but that composite score is the first tell.

Just as a reminder, your percentile score distinguishes your performance from examinees from a 1998-2003 standard testing group. However, adcoms compare your score to everyone in their applicant pool. Simply put, a 70th percentile means that you performed better than about 70% of the examinees during the aforementioned 1998-2003 period. The higher the score, the better off you will be.

Addendum: There have been many questions on SDN inquiring about the nature of the three-digit scaled scores one finds on the score report and how that score is used to get one's percentile score. To be honest, nobody outside of relations with Harcourt understands the system or even the true number of questions needed to earn a 90th percentile or any other score. Perhaps this is best explained in a hypothetical situation. After each exam, Harcourt examines the pool of test takers and derives a scale that corresponds to a scaled score. One earns a certain scaled score based on the number of correct questions answered. This scale is different between examinations and between sections to account for the slight differences in difficulty across test dates and perhaps even test forms within the same testing date. Te scaled score one gets corresponds to the aforementioned 1998-2003 pool. Based on past research on this forum, it seems that a 400 in any section will result in a 50th percentile and a 430 is "worth" the same for every testing date for example. Therefore, one is being compared to that standard testing group but any changes in the exam now versus back then is accounted for through the derivation of a new scale that accounts for that. It's just that the number of correct questions needed to earn a certain scaled score fluctuates and is determined for each PCAT administration separately. So, nobody really knows how many questions need to be answered correctly in order to be in a certain percentile.

III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.

The most prevalent question that examinees have after receiving their scores is whether the scores are good enough for admission into pharmacy school. That leads to the corollary question to whether the examinee should retake the PCAT. Before we continue, it's best to establish some guidelines. The criteria I am about to present is not a strict rule. It is based on generalizations of PCAT worthiness at schools. This is just advice.

First of all, averages are just that = averages. Just because you don't make your school's PCAT average doesn't mean your application is doomed. People get in with low PCAT scores due to a number of reasons, like:
  • Having a high GPA with great pharmacy experience and LORs
  • Having a great interview
  • ..and...having great "contacts" in the adcom, like a dad or someone
If one looked at the PCAT score distribution at each school, it would probably resemble something like a grade distribution we often see after taking an exam. That is, a few students get As, many get around Bs to Ds with the peak at Cs or the average and/or median score, and a few fantastically bomb the exam. So for competitive PCAT scores, you do have to meet the average score for competitiveness, you want to literally be in the middle of the pack. Sure, you want your scores to stand out, but the answer to the question "Are my PCAT scores good enough" simply asks whether your scores are a liability on your application making a retake of the PCAT prudent and advisable.

So, I think a better gauge for "competitiveness" is through the competitive range. Simply put, this range represents the majority of the school's incoming class. Ideally, you want a score that is at least in the range occupied by the middle 50% of students that takes out the top 25% PCAT students that get in and the bottom 25% who get in due to the other factors I mentioned earlier. Since each school has different distributions, I roughly set a range of five percentiles plus or minus the school's PCAT average. So for a school with an average of 80, the competitive range is about 75-85. Your score is competitive in that range, but it doesn't stand out from other applications nor is it a blemish on your application. Remember, I am speaking in general.

IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question

You need to consider your whole package as it affects the answer to this question:
  • Your stats (GPA, pharmacy hours worked) and LORs
  • Your interpersonal ability needed for an effective interview
  • Your writing skills (PCAT writing score, school-specific essays, PS)
  • Your "contacts"
If you have greatness in the above, than having a lower than competitive PCAT won't hurt as much versus the average applicant. If you lack some of the above, then you probably need a higher PCAT to compensate. For the purposes of this thread, we'll just consider how the scores look without any influence from other factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well guys, took my first pcat last night and got ROLLED by it :( ...37th percentile. Hard to study for it with practice/job/classes defiantly under-estimated it.

The last pcat of the "season" is the January test. I'm registered, but will it be enough time to significantly raise my score? I'm not shooting for a 90th PR but better than a 70th would be ideal.

Thoughts?

I know there are tons of questions like mine, but shedding some light would be phenomenal.

Thanks.
Dr Collins

Took my Pcat last night and scored 74 percentile, 79bio, 88 math, 95 chem:) and 21 verbal and 31 reading:confused: , Do you guys think I need to retake it, or my science grades are good enough to cover the language part, I got As in all my English classes ,Please help

So I took my pcat today and got va 25, bio51, RC 11, qa 55 , chem 65, comp is 36. It is low as hell. Cannot believe my low score at bio and chem. I was scoring in 90th at practise test. Anyway I'm crying and drinking in my car((( feel like a loser. I do have 3.8 GPA. I work at Wallgreens and will have string letters of recomendation. I am still going to apply. My pharmacist says that I have the best personality, therefore they should like me if I get an interview. Anyway. I think u will apply(midwestern glendale) and hope for the best. What do h guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
here is my pcat score and can you please give me honest answer if i need to take pcat again in January..I am applying to UofT my cgpa is 3.2 but my pre-req gpa is 3.6
VA-25
Reading-30
Biology-84
Chemistry-85
quant-61
reading-3
composite-61
My first language is not english and my verbal and reading score is not that great. Even if i take it in January I really doubt that my verbal and reading score will increase and i will also have less time to prepare for it because of my final exam for university ... I am sure my math score will increase but I am scared about reading and verbal. so please suggest me if i should retake pcat or not. Thanks

here is my pcat score and can you please give me honest answer if i need to take pcat again in January..I am applying to UofT my cgpa is 3.2 but my pre-req gpa is 3.6
VA-25
Reading-30
Biology-84
Chemistry-85
quant-61
reading-3
composite-61
My first language is not english and my verbal and reading score is not that great. Even if i take it in January I really doubt that my verbal and reading score will increase and i will also have less time to prepare for it because of my final exam for university ... I am sure my math score will increase but I am scared about reading and verbal. so please suggest me if i should retake pcat or not. Thanks
I was worried about not having enough time, but numerous people have helped me and told me
that I should be okay, as long as I buckle down!! I have my finals the 9th and I was going to be studying on the weekends for the 2nd round of the pcat. Then when school is over, hit it hard. I'm going to go for it. Why not?

Took it today, and got an 84 Composite, up 12 points from my last attempt which was 72. Studied seven to eight hours a day starting the day after Christmas! :) SO WORTH IT!

Verbal- 78
Bio- 57
Reading Comp- 62
Quant- 61
Chem- 91

Composite- 78

So this was my first time taking the pcat. I'm a sophomore in college so I still have time overall to retake if necessary

My question is: I know that having a low chemistry score with a high composite could be detrimental to getting accepted into pharmacy school, but does having a higher chemistry score with a decent composite score benefit you in any way?

Thanks

Verbal- 78
Bio- 57
Reading Comp- 62
Quant- 61
Chem- 91

Composite- 78

So this was my first time taking the pcat. I'm a sophomore in college so I still have time overall to retake if necessary

My question is: I know that having a low chemistry score with a high composite could be detrimental to getting accepted into pharmacy school, but does having a higher chemistry score with a decent composite score benefit you in any way?

Thanks[/quot

Considering the trends in SDN along with the requirements of most of the colleges, it would be better if you can retake the test.

I took it this past Tuesday. This was my second time taking it, but first time getting my score (I opted for no score in September because I felt awful about it).
Verbal Ability: 406/58
Biology: 421/79
Reading Comprehension: 379/17
Quantitative Ability: 384/16
Chemistry: 426/85
Composite: 403/52

Will the admissions committees know this is my second time taking it even though I opted for know score the first time?

The only reason I would retake is if I didn't get accepted for Fall 2014.

My stats:
BS in Biology, Chemistry Minor
Cum GPA 3.26 (haven't submitted pharmcas app yet)
ec's:
Treasurer of my fraternity for 2013, and VP of Scholarship for the Interfraternity council for 2013.

Work: Fitness Attendant at YMCA.

Pharm experience: non, but my father is a pharmacist at a hospital and I've been with him at work plenty of times....I'm also currently studying to take the PTCB exam.
I also shadowed an orthopedic surgeon for a summer.

LOR's: Organic chem professor, genetics professor, and fraternity advisor

I'm also an Eagle Scout.

I'm applying to Campbell, Wingate, and Virginia Commonwealth. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal- 78
Bio- 57
Reading Comp- 62
Quant- 61
Chem- 91

Composite- 78

Thanks

Most schools care mostly about the Chemistry score. I had a composite score of 80 but a Chem score of 97, and I truly believe that the admissions committees cared a lot more about the Chem score. During my interviews that were open file I was asked why my Bio score was so low and I answered honestly; I hadn't taken microbiology yet, and I feel as if my entire Bio section was full of it. After I answered most of the interviewers chimed in and said, "Well, your Chem score is the most indicative of how well you will perform in pharmacy school."

So, a high chem score with a decent/low composite score is tremendously better than a high composite with a decent/low chem.

Hey I am also planning to apply to U of M ann arbor. I haven't taken my pcat yet but I don't know what the chances are for me. I think your score should be in the pool of "competitive students". Just write a good personal statement and sop and do lots of volunteering and try to nail the interview and you should be fine. These are some pointers I've gotten, so just passing them on.

When are you applying?

VA 395 38
Bio 503 99
RD 416 79
QA 479 99
Chem 472 99
Comp 453 99
My VA is really low. Is retake necessary?

VA 395 38
Bio 503 99
RD 416 79
QA 479 99
Chem 472 99
Comp 453 99
My VA is really low. Is retake necessary?

no! retake is not at all necessary. You other scores are amazing and they are not too strict or overly concerned about VA. Congratulations!

Hello,
Just took my first PCAT today and got frustrated about my score. I post this since I've seen great advice from you guys in previous posts.
Here is my score:
VA 47
Bio 92
RC 13
QA 96
CH 98
Comp 87
The thing is that my school (UW) requires a minimum of 25% of every sub-test (60% for Chem), and obviously, I got a 13...However, on there website they also say this "However, these minimum thresholds are subject to change.The PharmD Admissions Committee reserves the right of final decision with regard to establishing minimum standards for PCAT score thresholds for consideration of interview". My GPA is 3.65 with some volunteering experiences. Do you guys think I should go for the early decision? or it's for sure that I will never get an interview with this scores?
Thanks in advance for your advice!!

I just got out today,

VA: 38
RC: 20
QA: 67
Chem & bio: 95
Comp: 76

I'm really bumped right now and wondering if I should retake or not because of my high science score. To be honest, I haven't taken any bio yet so I was shocked with my bio score. For maths, I usually scored high but somehow ruined on the real thing. VA and RC, well, it's VA and RC. My gpa is 3.7 and I just got my sophomore of undergrad done but planning to apply for this cycle. I got some volunteer done in the past and planning to do more this upcoming year along with chemistry research. What do you think of my chances? I want to get in some top tiers such as UMN, UIC and UW Madison and 1 back up third tier school, NDSU. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I just got out today,

VA: 38
RC: 20
QA: 67
Chem & bio: 95
Comp: 76

I'm really bumped right now and wondering if I should retake or not because of my high science score. To be honest, I haven't taken any bio yet so I was shocked with my bio score. For maths, I usually scored high but somehow ruined on the real thing. VA and RC, well, it's VA and RC. My gpa is 3.7 and I just got my sophomore of undergrad done but planning to apply for this cycle. I got some volunteer done in the past and planning to do more this upcoming year along with chemistry research. What do you think of my chances? I want to get in some top tiers such as UMN, UIC and UW Madison and 1 back up third tier school, NDSU. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Minokim, your score is good enough to be considered competitive among applicants, you dont need to reatke

Hello,
Just took my first PCAT today and got frustrated about my score. I post this since I've seen great advice from you guys in previous posts.
Here is my score:
VA 47
Bio 92
RC 13
QA 96
CH 98
Comp 87
The thing is that my school (UW) requires a minimum of 25% of every sub-test (60% for Chem), and obviously, I got a 13...However, on there website they also say this "However, these minimum thresholds are subject to change.The PharmD Admissions Committee reserves the right of final decision with regard to establishing minimum standards for PCAT score thresholds for consideration of interview". My GPA is 3.65 with some volunteering experiences. Do you guys think I should go for the early decision? or it's for sure that I will never get an interview with this scores?
Thanks in advance for your advice!!
U can go for early decision. Your comp score is up there, so dont worry too much about your RC score. Ur GPA and volunteer experience will sure help you too

I took it today, didnt really look through the essay section before I started typing my response....can anyone tell me if there were two essays or just one..lol

Seriously I finished the one essay after the 5 minute warning and before I could click any further I had run outta time. :(

Do they grade just one and throw out the other? I think I might be screwed here... +pity+ Otherwise my composite was fine

I took it today, didnt really look through the essay section before I started typing my response....can anyone tell me if there were two essays or just one..lol

Seriously I finished the one essay after the 5 minute warning and before I could click any further I had run outta time. :(

Do they grade just one and throw out the other? I think I might be screwed here... +pity+ Otherwise my composite was fine

I JUST took mine this morning, there's only one essay. There used to be 2, then they would grade one, but that's one of the changes with the new PCAT (which just started this July).

Reactions: 1 users
Was wondering what people scoring very highly used as far as their test prep. I did Kaplan, but from the reviews I've seen their prep seems to be just mediocore.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I took my PCAT today and these were my prelim scores:
VA: 412 68%
BIO: 430 89%
CHEM: 419 78%
RC: 398 47%
QA: 407 61%
Composite 413 74%

I am not that happy with my score, It wasn't what I expected honestly. With the Pearson practice tests I did a lot better in math, maybe I just freaked out. I really want to apply for the upcoming admissions cycle, so heres what I got:

• I have a 3.75 gpa
  • I volunteer at a pharmacy on campus as well as hopefully shadowing at a hospital.
  • I've volunteered at a lot of red cross blood drives.
  • Volunteered in what are called "Wellness Warrior" clinics where I got to take peoples height, weight, cholesterol, blood pressure, interact in a patient care setting and got to sit in on patient counseling with P4 students.
  • I am apart of pre-professional medical society, community of scholars, and national society of collegiate scholars.
  • I have received the chemistry chair's honors award in Orgo. (award given to the top 3% of students out of all undergraduate chemistry classes)
  • I haven't asked for LORs yet but ill ask my anatomy and orgo professors and the pharmacist I volunteer for.
  • Im CPR/AED and lifeguard certified. I heard they like when you mention that.
What are my chances of getting into Univeristy of Michigan or Wayne State? U of M's website says to "not underestimate your qualifications" so I'd like some opinions on if I should retake my PCAT in September or apply as is incase I mess up my current score. Thanks!!

So I just took my PCAT this morning and honestly I'm so glad its finally over!
Here are my scores:
Verbal: 82%
Bio: 44%:yuck:
RC: 90%
Quantum: 91%
Chemistry: 99% :soexcited:
Composite: 94%

So my question is less of "Should I Retake???" and more of how bad will my bio score hurt me? Basically I studied super hard for Chem and not enough for bio. I havnt taken microbio yet and my test had a TON of that..
I sport a 3.75 GPA Health Science & Chemistry double major. 400+ hrs pharmacy assistant experience and great recommendations set up.
Will bio affect me too much? Overall I'm super proud of myself :)

VA 82
Bio 57
RC 90
QA 39- didn't have enough time
Chem 72

Composite 74

Last edited:
VA: 25
RC: 25
QA: 4:(
Chem:97
bio: 90
Comp: 54

GPA-3.5
Planning on applying to Texas Tech and U of Houston. Should I retake. I already signed up for September PCAT.

VA: 25
RC: 25
QA: 4:(
Chem:97
bio: 90
Comp: 54

GPA-3.5
Planning on applying to Texas Tech and U of Houston. Should I retake. I already signed up for September PCAT.
yes that is def worth a retake. Especially this time around seeing as everyone did well in bio/chem it will be hard to justify ur other scores

yes that is def worth a retake. Especially this time around seeing as everyone did well in bio/chem it will be hard to justify ur other scores
You helped earlier. so for Math should stick with Dr. Collins because it helped me alot with Bio and Chem.

I personally used Dr collins and youtubed calc concepts with jmtpatrick(i think that is the name) and used openstudy for any extra math questions. Dr. Collins helps alot though

I personally used Dr collins and youtubed calc concepts with jmtpatrick(i think that is the name) and used openstudy for any extra math questions. Dr. Collins helps alot though
Do you think if I use only Dr.collins it will be enough . thanks

VA: 68
Bio: 99
Chem: 99
RC: 45
Quant: 55
Comp: 91

I am aware that my composite and my science scores are good, but I don't know if the low scores in RC and Quant will look bad? I don't think I need to retake, but I would like to ask just in case.

VA 437 94
Bio 411 63
RC 415 78
QA 434 93
Chem 412 68
Comp 422 88

My GPA is a 3.3 from a top tier (MIT), tons of extracurriculars (+ a paper published), and recs from senior biological engineering product design professor, PI from the lab I worked in for 3 years (who is also a professor), and my direct lab supervisor (also 3 years). No experience in a pharmacy specifically though.

Im applying to:
Howard
USC
UTenneessee
UCSF
U Michigan
U Illinois Chicago
U Colorado
Touro NY

VA 437 94
Bio 411 63
RC 415 78
QA 434 93
Chem 412 68
Comp 422 88

My GPA is a 3.3 from a top tier (MIT), tons of extracurriculars (+ a paper published), and recs from senior biological engineering product design professor, PI from the lab I worked in for 3 years (who is also a professor), and my direct lab supervisor (also 3 years). No experience in a pharmacy specifically though.

Im applying to:
Howard
USC
UTenneessee
UCSF
U Michigan
U Illinois Chicago
U Colorado
Touro NY

Actually, I decided to change my program designations to the following:
U Maryland Baltimore
UT
UCSF
U Michigan
U Illinois Chicago
U Colorado Denver
University of Washington

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

VA 437 94
Bio 411 63
RC 415 78
QA 434 93
Chem 412 68
Comp 422 88

Im applying to:
Howard
USC
UTenneessee
UCSF
U Michigan
U Illinois Chicago
U Colorado
Touro NY

I really can't speak from experience as I'm in the process of applying as well, but then again, who here actually knows what's going through the mind of a few specific admissions officers. However, from what I've read here and heard from many of my peers already enrolled in pharmacy school, your chem and bio seem borderline at best. Since pharmacy is science intensive, I'm guessing if they put forth more weight on one section over another it/they would be chem and/or bio. How did you do in your science classes? If it were me and I didn't have mostly A's in chem, ochem, bio, microbio, etc, I'd retake the pcat and focus on those two sections.

I really can't speak from experience as I'm in the process of applying as well, but then again, who here actually knows what's going through the mind of a few specific admissions officers. However, from what I've read here and heard from many of my peers already enrolled in pharmacy school, your chem and bio seem borderline at best. Since pharmacy is science intensive, I'm guessing if they put forth more weight on one section over another it/they would be chem and/or bio. How did you do in your science classes? If it were me and I didn't have mostly A's in chem, ochem, bio, microbio, etc, I'd retake the pcat and focus on those two sections.

the reason I didn't do super great in them is because i haven't taken chem 1 lab, chem 2, chem 2 lab, o chem lab, ochem 2, o chem 2 lab, microbio, or anatomy. I plan on finishing them in the spring. I also can't really afford to take the PCAT again unfortunately. I called the schools I'm applying to (which, for financial reasons, I changed to just U Tennessee (which is in-state for me), UIC, U Michigan, U Maryland at Baltimore, and U Washington) and the ones that I was able to reach told me that they don't care about the subscores, only the composite so I was kind of hoping I would be able to get away without doing the PCAT again. My grades in science were good, except for the C I got in intro bio when I was a dumb freshman, although I did get exclusively As and Bs in my upper level classes in science. Any chance they take into account how rigorous your undergrad university is?

I'm happy with my composite, but I need to know if I would be better off rewriting??

VA 416/74
Bio435/92
RC 402/54
QA 410/67
Chem 455/98

Comp 424/90

VA: 68
Bio: 99
Chem: 99
RC: 45
Quant: 55
Comp: 91

I am aware that my composite and my science scores are good, but I don't know if the low scores in RC and Quant will look bad? I don't think I need to retake, but I would like to ask just in case.

I never understand people like this you get in the 90s and your confused on whether or not you should retake it. As long as you did good in Bio and Chem you should be in a great position and honestly the english is just BS....

Hello everyone,
Thank you for being so informative! After reading through almost this entire thread, I'm pushing off my first try on the PCAT until I finish this semester (taking org chm 1 right now). Reading about everyone's trials to get accepted into grad school, I feel I am severely lacking. Although I've got a high GPA and I'm great at taking tests, I have no time for extracurricular activities. Also, I've worked in a pharmacy for 11yrs but never officially in the pharmacy department (I work the retail end), I am trained enough to work in the pharmacy department and I have, but hold no tech certifications. I should have no problem getting great LORs, but without any ECs, is this really enough?

VA 99
BIO 84
RC 73
QA 33
CHEM 61
COMPOS: 85

wug thread? retake? let it ride? i think i got unlucky on QA, i feel like i'm actually pretty good at it usually, but i was fatigued toward the end and couldn't rally, hit a bad stretch where i wasn't familiar enough and ran out of time. (studied kaplan)

i probably wouldn't even think about it and snap retake if my VA was a 97 or 98, but there's just something about that 99, i mean how many 99s do you see? i wanna hang on to that. am i dumb?

I took mine today. I don't know if my RC will hurt my chance. Please help! I am applying to UW, UA, midwestern, and Roseman. I have 3.7 GPA and work in a retail pharmacy for a couple years. Should I retake pcat?
VA 30
BIO 71
RC 8
QA 95
CHEM 99
Comp 82

Do people know if schools actually look at the subtests vs. putting more weight on the composite? I just took mine today, my composite wasn't great (78) but still relatively competitive however my bio was horrible yet my chem was out of this world. I've heard people on here saying that some schools have minimum cutoffs but I haven't seen a list of these schools or how strictly they enforce these cutoffs.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I just talked to Ferris State's admission councilor asking if she recommended I take it again or not. She said 78% is very competitive and they only look at the composite score rather than each subtest.

Last edited:
I have the same question as kv248 as I'm in the same boat. Low bio score high composite (89%). bio was 63%

Chem: 97
Math: 95
Bio: 89
VA: 70
RC: 16 :(
Composite: 88

Do u think my low RC will hurt my chances? English is my 2nd language... Gpa 3.9 n 100+ hrs of volunteering for hospitals pharmacy section...

Do I need to retake???? I doubt I can improve my reading anyways :/