The "Should I retake? What do my scores mean? Are my scores any good?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Well, it's that time of the year again when PCAT examinees rush to their mailboxes every day hoping to receive those elusive PCAT score reports.

To assist future PCAT test takers, it would be best if there was one thread where people can view or request other opinions on their own PCAT scores rather than having to search multiple threads with obscure titles. So, here goes (this is a work in progress:))! Please, please, please keep the score reports and "Yay! I got my scores!" to this thread.

Note: If you really know how the scoring works and just want an opinion on your scores, then just go to Section V in the second post in this thread.:)

Thread Outline
I. Your Score Report
II. Your Scores
III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.
IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question
V. The Final Verdict
VI. Your Score Versus Your School's Average

I. Your Score Report

You should receive a regular, letter-sized envelope with about a sheet or two of paper. One that them should be a plain sheet with your scores. Basically, this sheet lists each scaled score with the accompanying percentile score for each section followed by your composite score which is a percentile based on the averaged scale score from the five sections. You will see your writing score separate from the other sections. Rather self-explanatory to me......

II. Your Scores

You mostly want to focus on your percentile rank, most particularly the composite score. That is the number that adcoms focus on during the primary review that determines if you get an interview. Some schools may go in-depth into your scores, but that composite score is the first tell.

Just as a reminder, your percentile score distinguishes your performance from examinees from a 1998-2003 standard testing group. However, adcoms compare your score to everyone in their applicant pool. Simply put, a 70th percentile means that you performed better than about 70% of the examinees during the aforementioned 1998-2003 period. The higher the score, the better off you will be.

Addendum: There have been many questions on SDN inquiring about the nature of the three-digit scaled scores one finds on the score report and how that score is used to get one's percentile score. To be honest, nobody outside of relations with Harcourt understands the system or even the true number of questions needed to earn a 90th percentile or any other score. Perhaps this is best explained in a hypothetical situation. After each exam, Harcourt examines the pool of test takers and derives a scale that corresponds to a scaled score. One earns a certain scaled score based on the number of correct questions answered. This scale is different between examinations and between sections to account for the slight differences in difficulty across test dates and perhaps even test forms within the same testing date. Te scaled score one gets corresponds to the aforementioned 1998-2003 pool. Based on past research on this forum, it seems that a 400 in any section will result in a 50th percentile and a 430 is "worth" the same for every testing date for example. Therefore, one is being compared to that standard testing group but any changes in the exam now versus back then is accounted for through the derivation of a new scale that accounts for that. It's just that the number of correct questions needed to earn a certain scaled score fluctuates and is determined for each PCAT administration separately. So, nobody really knows how many questions need to be answered correctly in order to be in a certain percentile.

III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.

The most prevalent question that examinees have after receiving their scores is whether the scores are good enough for admission into pharmacy school. That leads to the corollary question to whether the examinee should retake the PCAT. Before we continue, it's best to establish some guidelines. The criteria I am about to present is not a strict rule. It is based on generalizations of PCAT worthiness at schools. This is just advice.

First of all, averages are just that = averages. Just because you don't make your school's PCAT average doesn't mean your application is doomed. People get in with low PCAT scores due to a number of reasons, like:
  • Having a high GPA with great pharmacy experience and LORs
  • Having a great interview
  • ..and...having great "contacts" in the adcom, like a dad or someone
If one looked at the PCAT score distribution at each school, it would probably resemble something like a grade distribution we often see after taking an exam. That is, a few students get As, many get around Bs to Ds with the peak at Cs or the average and/or median score, and a few fantastically bomb the exam. So for competitive PCAT scores, you do have to meet the average score for competitiveness, you want to literally be in the middle of the pack. Sure, you want your scores to stand out, but the answer to the question "Are my PCAT scores good enough" simply asks whether your scores are a liability on your application making a retake of the PCAT prudent and advisable.

So, I think a better gauge for "competitiveness" is through the competitive range. Simply put, this range represents the majority of the school's incoming class. Ideally, you want a score that is at least in the range occupied by the middle 50% of students that takes out the top 25% PCAT students that get in and the bottom 25% who get in due to the other factors I mentioned earlier. Since each school has different distributions, I roughly set a range of five percentiles plus or minus the school's PCAT average. So for a school with an average of 80, the competitive range is about 75-85. Your score is competitive in that range, but it doesn't stand out from other applications nor is it a blemish on your application. Remember, I am speaking in general.

IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question

You need to consider your whole package as it affects the answer to this question:
  • Your stats (GPA, pharmacy hours worked) and LORs
  • Your interpersonal ability needed for an effective interview
  • Your writing skills (PCAT writing score, school-specific essays, PS)
  • Your "contacts"
If you have greatness in the above, than having a lower than competitive PCAT won't hurt as much versus the average applicant. If you lack some of the above, then you probably need a higher PCAT to compensate. For the purposes of this thread, we'll just consider how the scores look without any influence from other factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your PCAT score is considered to be competitive as well as your GPA. Not everyone that takes the test gets a 90+ as SDN would lead you to believe. References, personal statement, and extracurriculars will definitely help out your application.

Your PCAT score is considered to be competitive as well as your GPA. Not everyone that takes the test gets a 90+ as SDN would lead you to believe. References, personal statement, and extracurriculars will definitely help out your application.
Thanks a lot, I hope everything will go well, currently done with almost everything, i'm just revising my statement with my cousin right now. And then I can submit the pharmCAS even before I get the PCAT score back right?

After you have everything else in besides your letters and PCAT scores, you can go ahead and e-submit. Make sure to enter your reference contacts information!

Members don't see this ad :)
After you have everything else in besides your letters and PCAT scores, you can go ahead and e-submit. Make sure to enter your reference contacts information!
Yea, I have everything besides the PCAT score. I got all my LORs submitted back in Aug. Transcripts, everything is filled in

Hey! I really like this thread, I feel like it helps a lot.

I took my PCAT for the first time in July of this year and it did not go so well. Granted, I was working and taking a summer class and did not have much time to study and hadn't taken microbiology yet (there was a lot of micro in my bio section)

First PCAT taken in July 2013: I only used Kaplan stuff to study, and I bought one of the Pearson practice tests, the 4th one. My scores:
Verbal: 40
Bio: 40
Reading Comp: 38
Quantitative: 61
Chemistry: 91
Composite: 57

I took my PCAT again today and I improved in every subject except for chemistry. I mean, it would be pretty hard to improve in chemistry. I used only Dr. Collins; it was so expensive but so worth it. I also technically still haven't taken micro, I am in the class now but we aren't far into any classes yet since they basically just started.
Second PCAT taken TODAY!:
Verbal: 47
Bio: 84
Reading Comp: 69
Quantitative: 85
Chemistry: 88
Composite: 82

I know my verbal and reading comp still aren't good but the science ones are more important and I don't think I need to retake, right?

I go Elmira College, in Elmira, NY. Its a small private school.
I have a 3.9 cumulative GPA and I am a chemistry and biochemistry double major, earning my bachelor's degree in 3 years instead of 4. (LOTS OF WORK!)
I volunteered in a hospital pharmacy all summer long and worked one on one with a few pharmacists and learned a lot about it all.
I am in multiple clubs and officers in a few. I also am in a few honor societies here.

Think I will be okay for applying and such?

I Really need advice if I should retake my pcat
My scores are:
Verbal: 30
Bio: 99
Reading Comp: 81
Quantitative: 67
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 89
What You all think any help would be highly appreciate. Thanks

I Really need advice if I should retake my pcat
My scores are:
Verbal: 30
Bio: 99
Reading Comp: 81
Quantitative: 67
Composite: 89
What You all think any help would be highly appreciate. Thanks

yes retake it! your score is not enough to impress SDN members since we are used to 90+.
if your purpose of PCAT is not to show off in SDN, then don't retake.

Hey! I really like this thread, I feel like it helps a lot.

I took my PCAT for the first time in July of this year and it did not go so well. Granted, I was working and taking a summer class and did not have much time to study and hadn't taken microbiology yet (there was a lot of micro in my bio section)

First PCAT taken in July 2013: I only used Kaplan stuff to study, and I bought one of the Pearson practice tests, the 4th one. My scores:
Verbal: 40
Bio: 40
Reading Comp: 38
Quantitative: 61
Chemistry: 91

I took my PCAT again today and I improved in every subject except for chemistry. I mean, it would be pretty hard to improve in chemistry. I used only Dr. Collins; it was so expensive but so worth it. I also technically still haven't taken micro, I am in the class now but we aren't far into any classes yet since they basically just started.
Second PCAT taken TODAY!:
Verbal: 47
Bio: 84
Reading Comp: 69
Quantitative: 85
Chemistry: 88
Composite: 82

I know my verbal and reading comp still aren't good but the science ones are more important and I don't think I need to retake, right?

I go Elmira College, in Elmira, NY. Its a small private school.
I have a 3.9 cumulative GPA and I am a chemistry and biochemistry double major, earning my bachelor's degree in 3 years instead of 4. (LOTS OF WORK!)
I volunteered in a hospital pharmacy all summer long and worked one on one with a few pharmacists and learned a lot about it all.
I am in multiple clubs and officers in a few. I also am in a few honor societies here.

Think I will be okay for applying and such?

... why are you even asking.
you will get in for sure.

Lol. The only reason I am asking is due to my verbal. I am not sure if i can improve on verbal in few months if i retake it.

Lol. The only reason I am asking is due to my verbal. I am not sure if i can improve on verbal in few months if i retake it.

I wouldn't retake it. an 89 composite is an amazing score and I'd be happy. Yeah you're verbal is low, but what if you take it again and do worse in chemistry or bio instead? I wouldn't risk that. Most schools do not care as much about the verbal and reading comp sections as they do the bio, chemistry, and math.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, he need to make sure to check his school's homepage. Some school require specific subsection scores.. (like UGA)
Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I did check with the school's homepage. They did not say anything about specific sub score :)

if school doesn't have restriction on each subsection score, then you do'nt need to worry about. :love:
I don't know because I'm considering retake, but take a look back at my other stats. Cum GPA 3.76, Science GPA 3.72. 200+ volunteer hours, and also my LORs. 18 on Verbal, and 14 on Reading.... I just dont know what to do

I don't know because I'm considering retake, but take a look back at my other stats. Cum GPA 3.76, Science GPA 3.72. 200+ volunteer hours, and also my LORs. 18 on Verbal, and 14 on Reading.... I just dont know what to do

never mind, I saw your pcat score again..what is your comp? low english score won't be 'critical' problem but low bio/chem/math scores might be some scratch on your application.

70 comp is ok score, 50-60 might be ok if you are competitive on other side.. below 40..you might want to retake.

never mind, I saw your pcat score again..what is your comp? low english score won't be 'critical' problem but low bio/chem/math scores might be some scratch on your application.

70 comp is ok score, 50-60 might be ok if you are competitive on other side.. below 40..you might want to retake.
Yes, my pcat composite is 50... What do u think?

Yes, my pcat composite is 50... What do u think?

I was mistaken in my previous replies and assumed that 76 was your composite score (your chem score actually). If you have time to spare, I would recommend you definitely retake the PCAT to be more competitive.

This is not so much a retake but a question of whether I should postpone.

I have my first ever PCAT scheduled for Sept. 16. I've been doing Collins and Ive done the three pearson tests but I haven't improved and my lack of confidence has me doing worse. My composite Pearson exams were (in the order listed) T2 (60-80), T4 (38-58), T3 (55-75). My scores were all over the place. I increased in bio from the first to the third, decreased in verbal, went back and forth with chem, reading decreased. The only consistent score was I did horribly in QA each and every time.

Now on the Collins tests, I'm always doing great in bio and verbal but those don't seem to translate to the Pearson tests. Chem I do ok, reading I do very well but it also doesn't translate but in Collins I also do horribly in math. My problem is time and that can only improve with tons of practice.

So bottom line I just don't think I'll do all that well. If I'm lucky I'll probably get a score in the 60's with a very poor QA section. So my dilemma now is, do I take the pcat next week and possibly retake? Or do I postpone to October and give me more time to focus on the stuff I'm doing bad in? What would affect my application worse? Postponing and turning in an app later? Or submitting an app with a low pcat and a retake pending?

My GPA is around a 3.0 (hasn't been calculated officially yet). My stats are I am a polisci major and have worked in government for more than 10 years doing a career change. I've gone back to school and worked at the same time. So cuz of my very average GPA I'm concerned a low pcat score could bury me.

Here are my score from the Pcat and was wondering should I retake it? It was my first time taking the Pcat. My GPA is is 2.8 and I do have some pharmacy experience as a tech. My top school I would like to apply to is Midwestern in Glendale. Should I retake the Pcat or should I just apply with these scores?

Chemistry 56
Quantitative Ability 51
Reading Comprehension 56
Biology 79
Verbal 43
Writing 3.0
Composite 59

Here are my score from the Pcat and was wondering should I retake it? It was my first time taking the Pcat. My GPA is is 2.8 and I do have some pharmacy experience as a tech. My top school I would like to apply to is Midwestern in Glendale. Should I retake the Pcat or should I just apply with these scores?

Chemistry 56
Quantitative Ability 51
Reading Comprehension 56
Biology 79
Verbal 43
Writing 3.0
Composite 59

Midwestern-Glendale does not appear to have a minimum for their PCAT, but I can only that retaking the PCAT and getting a higher score can only help your cause. Your GPA is a little lower than average so I would recommend retaking the test and aim for a 90+.

Chemistry 56
Quantitative Ability 51
Reading Comprehension 56
Biology 79
Verbal 43
Writing 3.0
Composite 59

Retake or apply asap. Longer you wait lower chances.

composite 81,

Chem 99
Math 93
Bio92
Verbal 15
RC 6

where do I find a list of the schools that only look at the final score (81)

composite 81,

Chem 99
Math 93
Bio92
Verbal 15
RC 6

where do I find a list of the schools that only look at the final score (81)

Dude you'll get into most places given you can prove to them that you actually write and communicate. I had somewhat similar stats. 97, 93, 91 on math chem and bio and 66 on verbal and 25 on reading I got into my top choices. Had a crummy GPA too. There are a few schools that want you to have minimum in each section.. But not many. You can find out by emailing. You are set.

PCAT July 2013
Chem 91
QA 88
Bio 74
Verbal 30
RC 15
Comp 66

PCAT Sept 2013
Chem 88
QA 99
Bio 89
Verbal 52
RC 14
Comp 85

Last edited:
Just took the PCAT today :mad:

VB: 18 :(
Bio: 46
RC: 14 :(
QA:93
Chem:76

Cummulative GPA is 3.76, Science GPA is 3.74. 100+ hours of volunteer during high school, volunteered teaching English back at home, in pharmacy club at my CC.

I'm looking at Midwestern-IL, Roosevelt U, and Chicago State, should I retake it in October?

Your GPA looks very good. I believe you can get in if you get 65+(or 70+) on PCAT.
Good luck!!

This is my 2nd time taking it since July. Idk how much more I can improve from now until then....my previous scores were:

July 2013:
VA: 387/25
Bio: 402/46
RC: 385/25
QA: 399/45
Chem: 408/61
Composite: 396/36

September 2013:
VA: 384/21 :thumbdown:
Bio: 414/69 (increased by 23)
RC: 344/1 :( :( :( :thumbdown:
QA: 423/85 (Increased by 40)
Chem: 422/81 (Increased by 20)
Composite: 397/38 (BARELY increased by 2) - WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS :(

I feel like Dr. Collins material GREATLY helped, but apparently wasn't enough to improve my composite. I don't know if retaking will be smart. I don't want to risk getting another 30 composite =( ADVICE??? I live in California with a 3.1 GPA and I am currently taking courses to increase my gpa to about a 3.3. What chances do I have applying just to California (where PCAT isn't required)?. I'm thinking about taking the GRE and applying to masters programs (just as a backup). HELP PLEASE!!!!!!?????

Last edited:
Hi

I took the pcat today and my composite score on the print out says 382. What percentile range does that put me in?

Hi

I took the pcat today and my composite score on the print out says 382. What percentile range does that put me in?

It should say it there on the PR. I believe that's lower than 30 :( . I'm not too sure though.

I just took my PCAT yesterday ...

1st time (July)
VB: 18
Bio: 79
RC: 18
QA:61
Chem:61
Comp: 45

2nd time (Sept)
Bio: 89
RC: 6 :confused:
QA:77
Chem:72
comp:50

I'm planning to apply to VCU, Shenandoah , MD-Estern shore
I have a GPA of 2.9
Strong Rec'd from 3 professors
I don't know if I should just turn my application now or take another PCAT and apply later
(November)

Let me know what you guys think!
thanks!

1st time (July)

2nd time (Sept)

I have a GPA of 2.9
I don't know if I should just turn my application now or take another PCAT and apply later
(November)

thanks!

In my opinion, I would suggest that you retake it and aim for 80-90+. Your GPA is not strong enough just by itself to warrant an interview unless your ECs are spectacular.

I been working as a nurse at a well known hospital for over two years
would that help?

Of course it does. Try to take a few classes to bring your 2.9 to at least a 3.0 and retake the PCAT to get a higher score to be more competitive.

1st time (July)

2nd time (Sept)

I have a GPA of 2.9
(November)

thanks!

I highly, highly suggest that you retake the PCAT. I had the same exact GPA as you did when I applied, but I got a 91 composite instead. You need some form of academic leverage to offset your low GPA and mutilating the PCAT is a good way to take some pressure off of you. Good luck friend.

I have made a thread about this after seeing this one. Sorry for the duplicate, I meant to put it in this thread.

Just getting worried about whether or not I am competitive. I have done a lot of volunteering activities both science and nonscience as well as a pharmacy technician job. But here is the break down of my scores. Will I have to wait another year and retake my pcat before I can be competitive?

bio: 92%
Chem: 85%
Quant: 85%
Verbal: 18%
RC: 14%
composite: 64%

Extracurricular activities:
Volunteer at hospital pharmacy for a year and a half.
Secretary and Vice president of Japanese Association for about a year
Mentor for Japanese Language for about a year
Teacher Assistant for Human Anatomy and Physiology
Have 2 letter of recommendations from pharmacists, 1 from volunteer coordinator and 1 from science professor.
Pharmacy technician for about a year, >900 hours

Cummulative GPA: ~3.5
Math/Scicene GPA: ~3.3

Ok, update on my status.

Verbal Ability 419/78
Biology 414/69
Quantitative 396/39
Chemistry 405/56

Composite: 413/74

My gpa as calculated by PharmCas is 3.23. I have four letter of recommendation; 2 from the Pharmacists I work with at CVS Pharmacy, and 2 from science professors from my college (Chemistry and Microbiology). I got my Massachusetts Pharmacy technician certification as well, so I guess that helps. 1.5 years of pharmacy experience. As far as volunteering I volunteered once at a local soup kitchen, and spent about a week a year for the past 3 years as a volunteer camp counselor that a local church was hosting for low income kids. I e-submitted my application to pharmcas on 09/09/2013. It took two weeks for pharmcas to calculate my gpa.
My application was updated as "MAILED" on the 23. I applied to 10+ schools in the New England area and have received two interview invitations already. If I with my low and sad stats can get interviews, anyone else who has better stats is basically good to go.

Verbal 78
Bio 57
RC 87
QA 88
Chem 68
Comp 81

GPA 3.05 (2.98 Science)

-will have BS in biochemistry from UF in December, student assistant in Analytical Chem lab, part time job, community service/leadership positions from fraternity

-good letters of rec from 2 pharmacists and my analytical chemistry lab professor

Is that enough to balance out my GPA? Hoping for UF, LECOM Bradenton, or NOVA (Florida resident)

Jon you have a good pcat score and and your GPa should not really be an issue either. I would not retake the pcat if I were you, but I would apply to 5+ schools. I have already four interviews lined up to 4 different schools. With your pcat you should get at least an interview at most schools. Good luck!

Hey Guys! Took my PCAT yesterday. What do you makes of the scores?

Verbal Ability: 63
Biology: 79
Reading Comprehension: 47
Quantitative Ability: 85
Chemistry: 99
Composite: 95

A couple questions too:
1) Do any of the sections outweigh any other or is there more preference to one?
2) With a GPA of 3.8 - 3.85, how do my chances of getting into a Pharm school look?
THANKS!

Hey Guys! Took my PCAT yesterday. What do you makes of the scores?

Verbal Ability: 63
Biology: 79
Reading Comprehension: 47
Quantitative Ability: 85
Chemistry: 99
Composite: 95

A couple questions too:
1) Do any of the sections outweigh any other or is there more preference to one?
2) With a GPA of 3.8 - 3.85, how do my chances of getting into a Pharm school look?
THANKS!
Dude you're gonna get into every single pharmacy school you apply to. Given you can do a decent interview

My scores are as follows:

Verbal Ability: 87
Biology: 57 :smack:
Reading Comprehension: 75
Quantitative Ability: 78
Composite: 88

The low Biology score came as a shocker. My Cumulative GPA is a 3.9-3.95 and a 4.0 in Sciences, however I do not have any volunteering/research/job hours in any science-related fields. but plan to as soon as possible (applying next year).

What do you make of the scores? I feel as if had i scored 25%-30% more on Biology I wouldn't need to worry so much.

My scores are as follows:

Verbal Ability: 87
Biology: 57 :smack:
Reading Comprehension: 75
Quantitative Ability: 78
Composite: 88

The low Biology score came as a shocker. My Cumulative GPA is a 3.9-3.95 and a 4.0 in Sciences, however I do not have any volunteering/research/job hours in any science-related fields. but plan to as soon as possible (applying next year).

What do you make of the scores? I feel as if had i scored 25%-30% more on Biology I wouldn't need to worry so much.
Good enough. You'll pretty much get into any school with that pcat and GPA. People worry too much. Practice on your interviews.

Just took the PCAT for the first time today, I didn't really have a lot of time to prepare because I work two jobs while also going to school full time. I'm in a bunch of the classes necessary to take the exam so I feel like that helped a little bit. My scores weren't too fantastic though

VA: 33
Bio: 51
RC: 75
QA: 51
Chem: 72

I just took it so i dont know my writing score (how does that factor into your composite score by the way?_

I have a 3.53 GPA overall and like a 3.4 in the sciences. My top school has a main campus and a hospital they also own and I've logged a lot of hours into volunteering at the Pharmacy of the hospital they ownn. I have 2 great recommendation letters, 1 from the head of pharmacy from that hospital. I'm applying to Jefferson U and Temple U, Jefferson is my number one. Temple lists 50 as their min accepted composite, and Jefferson says they have no minimum but for them a 70 is competitive. (I also kind of mentioned in my Jeff supplemental application that my mom has been an employee for them for 30 years and my dad is an alumni of their residency program so I'm hoping that may boost me maybe)

any thoughts?

I just took my pcat. I thought I was prepared for the math section... Kaplan had a horrible review for math. My scores are:
Va- 87
Bio- 99
Rc- 54
Qa- 27!!!!!!
Chem- 88
Comp- 87.
I've worked as a pharm tech for almost 4 years now. Good letters of rec, gpa is 3.3 and trending up a lot. How does it look? I cometely blanked on so many problems for math... But I aced the bio. Should I retake it?

I just took my pcat. I thought I was prepared for the math section... Kaplan had a horrible review for math. My scores are:
Va- 87
Bio- 99
Rc- 54
Qa- 27!!!!!!
Chem- 88
Comp- 87.
I've worked as a pharm tech for almost 4 years now. Good letters of rec, gpa is 3.3 and trending up a lot. How does it look? I cometely blanked on so many problems for math... But I aced the bio. Should I retake it?

what did you use to study for verbal and bio if you don't mind me asking?

what did you use to study for verbal and bio if you don't mind me asking?
I only used kaplans book and the pearson practice tests for all sections. I have a knack for biology, and my vocabulary is pretty good. I've done a lot of reading in my life :). I recommend Kaplan for bio, but DO NOT USE IT FOR MATH!!!!

Well guys, took my first pcat last night and got ROLLED by it :( ...37th percentile. Hard to study for it with practice/job/classes defiantly under-estimated it.

The last pcat of the "season" is the January test. I'm registered, but will it be enough time to significantly raise my score? I'm not shooting for a 90th PR but better than a 70th would be ideal.

Thoughts?

I know there are tons of questions like mine, but shedding some light would be phenomenal.

Thanks.