The "Should I retake? What do my scores mean? Are my scores any good?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Well, it's that time of the year again when PCAT examinees rush to their mailboxes every day hoping to receive those elusive PCAT score reports.

To assist future PCAT test takers, it would be best if there was one thread where people can view or request other opinions on their own PCAT scores rather than having to search multiple threads with obscure titles. So, here goes (this is a work in progress:))! Please, please, please keep the score reports and "Yay! I got my scores!" to this thread.

Note: If you really know how the scoring works and just want an opinion on your scores, then just go to Section V in the second post in this thread.:)

Thread Outline
I. Your Score Report
II. Your Scores
III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.
IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question
V. The Final Verdict
VI. Your Score Versus Your School's Average

I. Your Score Report

You should receive a regular, letter-sized envelope with about a sheet or two of paper. One that them should be a plain sheet with your scores. Basically, this sheet lists each scaled score with the accompanying percentile score for each section followed by your composite score which is a percentile based on the averaged scale score from the five sections. You will see your writing score separate from the other sections. Rather self-explanatory to me......

II. Your Scores

You mostly want to focus on your percentile rank, most particularly the composite score. That is the number that adcoms focus on during the primary review that determines if you get an interview. Some schools may go in-depth into your scores, but that composite score is the first tell.

Just as a reminder, your percentile score distinguishes your performance from examinees from a 1998-2003 standard testing group. However, adcoms compare your score to everyone in their applicant pool. Simply put, a 70th percentile means that you performed better than about 70% of the examinees during the aforementioned 1998-2003 period. The higher the score, the better off you will be.

Addendum: There have been many questions on SDN inquiring about the nature of the three-digit scaled scores one finds on the score report and how that score is used to get one's percentile score. To be honest, nobody outside of relations with Harcourt understands the system or even the true number of questions needed to earn a 90th percentile or any other score. Perhaps this is best explained in a hypothetical situation. After each exam, Harcourt examines the pool of test takers and derives a scale that corresponds to a scaled score. One earns a certain scaled score based on the number of correct questions answered. This scale is different between examinations and between sections to account for the slight differences in difficulty across test dates and perhaps even test forms within the same testing date. Te scaled score one gets corresponds to the aforementioned 1998-2003 pool. Based on past research on this forum, it seems that a 400 in any section will result in a 50th percentile and a 430 is "worth" the same for every testing date for example. Therefore, one is being compared to that standard testing group but any changes in the exam now versus back then is accounted for through the derivation of a new scale that accounts for that. It's just that the number of correct questions needed to earn a certain scaled score fluctuates and is determined for each PCAT administration separately. So, nobody really knows how many questions need to be answered correctly in order to be in a certain percentile.

III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.

The most prevalent question that examinees have after receiving their scores is whether the scores are good enough for admission into pharmacy school. That leads to the corollary question to whether the examinee should retake the PCAT. Before we continue, it's best to establish some guidelines. The criteria I am about to present is not a strict rule. It is based on generalizations of PCAT worthiness at schools. This is just advice.

First of all, averages are just that = averages. Just because you don't make your school's PCAT average doesn't mean your application is doomed. People get in with low PCAT scores due to a number of reasons, like:
  • Having a high GPA with great pharmacy experience and LORs
  • Having a great interview
  • ..and...having great "contacts" in the adcom, like a dad or someone
If one looked at the PCAT score distribution at each school, it would probably resemble something like a grade distribution we often see after taking an exam. That is, a few students get As, many get around Bs to Ds with the peak at Cs or the average and/or median score, and a few fantastically bomb the exam. So for competitive PCAT scores, you do have to meet the average score for competitiveness, you want to literally be in the middle of the pack. Sure, you want your scores to stand out, but the answer to the question "Are my PCAT scores good enough" simply asks whether your scores are a liability on your application making a retake of the PCAT prudent and advisable.

So, I think a better gauge for "competitiveness" is through the competitive range. Simply put, this range represents the majority of the school's incoming class. Ideally, you want a score that is at least in the range occupied by the middle 50% of students that takes out the top 25% PCAT students that get in and the bottom 25% who get in due to the other factors I mentioned earlier. Since each school has different distributions, I roughly set a range of five percentiles plus or minus the school's PCAT average. So for a school with an average of 80, the competitive range is about 75-85. Your score is competitive in that range, but it doesn't stand out from other applications nor is it a blemish on your application. Remember, I am speaking in general.

IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question

You need to consider your whole package as it affects the answer to this question:
  • Your stats (GPA, pharmacy hours worked) and LORs
  • Your interpersonal ability needed for an effective interview
  • Your writing skills (PCAT writing score, school-specific essays, PS)
  • Your "contacts"
If you have greatness in the above, than having a lower than competitive PCAT won't hurt as much versus the average applicant. If you lack some of the above, then you probably need a higher PCAT to compensate. For the purposes of this thread, we'll just consider how the scores look without any influence from other factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
V. The Final Verdict

I have compiled as many average PCAT scores reported by each school. The Microsoft Excel file is linked in the third post of this thread. It's a work in progress, but the general impression I get is that the scores are around the 80th percentile. In the past, SDNers have used some unspoken "80 rule" to determine if their scores were good. So, here's my advice assuming that the school's average is around 80. You can shift the ranges I am about to present up or down by a few percentiles based on your situation.
  1. 59 and under = 100% Definitely retake: Anything below a 60 is bad score IMO. Chances are that you probably don't make the section minimum for certain schools. Unless you have a strong contact in adcom, you need to retake the exam. Even a great 3.9 GPA doesn't cover this score well enough for you.
  2. 60-64 = 95% retake: Your score probably falls in the bottom 25% of a normal incoming class. You can get in, but you really need a stellar application aside from this score
  3. 65-69 = 90% retake: Your still out of the competitive range for most schools. Auburn and UMKC are notable exceptions with lower PCAT averages where a score here is competitive. Still, you need a stellar application if you want to keep this score
  4. 70-74 = 75% Borderline retake retake: Your score may be in the competitive range for more schools but not for others with averages in the 80s. Even those schools, however, may take a more diverse applicant meaning that 7 in the tens digit is good looking enough if you excel elsewhere. Hence, this is a borderline score. If you want to apply to places like Florida and Texas, you probably need to retake. Likewise, a low GPA probably needs a high PCAT
  5. 75-79 = 50%-50% Borderline: At this point, you have scored in the competitive range for most schools. However, competitive does not guarantee anything as it just means that you can compete with the rest of the pool simply in terms of PCAT scores. You may need to retake the PCAT if your stats are low or if you apply to those aforementioned high 80 average schools.
  6. 80-84 = 25% Retake: You have fallen right smack in the middle of the competitive range for the majority of schools. Most likely, this score does not require a retake unless your GPA blows, you have no experience, and you suck at socializing professionally. Even then, this score is worth keeping for many applicants.
  7. 85-89 = 10% retake: This score puts you in the competitive range for the schools with the highest PCAT averages and makes your score distinctive for schools with averages in the 70s or low 80s. Most likely, you don't need to retake the PCAT unless you really bombed a science section or two despite getting a B.S. in the near future. Sometimes your excellence in the English and math sections covers up for bad scores here. You could retake the exam just to remove the blemish, but the score is quite presentable to adcoms
  8. 90-94 = 5% Retake: That 9 in the ten digits is the coveted prize of all. If you get this score, then there really, really is no need to retake the PCAT unless you are anal about a science score that is low and propped up by the other sections. Either way, a 94 isn't that much different than a 90 in the grand scheme of admissions. There are some schools with a high average where a score here isn't as distinguishable, but you don't want to risk lowering your score with a retake.
  9. 95-99 = 100% Definitely Keep: If you want to ask whether you should retake the PCAT with a score here, don't. ;)

Disclaimer: Once again, this post just suggests how you score could look to adcoms and whether you should retake the PCAT as a result. You should still apply regardless if you have a good application. A 90 PCAT doesn't guarantee admission and a 70s PCAT or below does not guarantee rejection. The opinions in this thread DO NOT reflect any admission committees' opinion on your application.

VI. Your Score Versus Your School's Average

Check out the attached .pdf to check out the average PCAT school at your school of interest. It's a rough compilation as I couldn't find the numbers for some schools. I will try to get that information in the coming weeks but if you can fill in a blank entry, then let me know:) If a school is not listed in the document, it means that school does not accept PCAT scores for consideration or the school has just begun to use PCAT scores in its consideration.

Also, my comments are a reflection of past SDNer experience with PCAT scores. If you disagree with what I've said, please let me know. If this thread is successful, it'll be a one-stop shop for PCAT score advice. Of course, that means that the info has to be as complete as possible. I am only one man. ;)

8-9-2007: Version 2 is now up with new and modified entries.

Attachments

• Average PCAT Scores by Institution-SDN Version 2.pdf
    31.3 KB · Views: 11,727
Excellent post Omnione.

I might add one thing: Having a great PCAT score is NOT a guarantee for admissions, just like having a great GPA is NOT a guarantee for admissions. Your admissions file will always be evaluated in the complete package along with your LORs, your extracurriculars, and your work experiences.

On the opposite end of the chain, having a lower PCAT score will NOT mean you are excluded from consideration from admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent post Omnione.

I might add one thing: Having a great PCAT score is NOT a guarantee for admissions, just like having a great GPA is NOT a guarantee for admissions. Your admissions file will always be evaluated in the complete package along with your LORs, your extracurriculars, and your work experiences.

On the opposite end of the chain, having a lower PCAT score will NOT mean you are excluded from consideration from admissions.

Sure thing. Though I alluded to that in my post, sometimes people need a bolded reminder that a score doesn't guarantee anything.

omnione:

Great post! Very Helpful!.. hopefully i can compare this to my actual pcat scores.. if they ever arrive:(

Excellent post Omnione.

I resemble this extreme. I got a 95 on the PCAT with a 99 in chemistry. My science GPA was about 3.85 and my overall about 3.65. I was rejected by at least 5 schools that take the PCAT. I finally got into a school that doesn't require the PCATor LORs. I wonder if there was something wrong with my LORs. They were probably OK though, I did get 3 other interviews.

omnione: if your composite is higher (85+), I know this is case specific, but what sort of individual score is considered bombing? and if the composite is higher (85+), is it worth retaking if the verbal sections are lower?

omnione: if your composite is higher (85+), I know this is case specific, but what sort of individual score is considered bombing? and if the composite is higher (85+), is it worth retaking if the verbal sections are lower?

The scenario I mention occurs when someone earns a 95+ in math, verbal, and reading, but mediocre scores in the science sections to bring the composite down to 85. The most extreme example is when one does well in four sections, but has a science section lower than 70. In that case, the composite is a potential keeper, but one may want to retake the PCAT. More often than not, a score here is competitive but the PCAT could be worth retaking.

How low are you talking about? For example, I got a 94 on my PCAT but I scored a mediocre 71 in biology. I still got into pharmacy schools. I suppose the exam is worth retaking if your verbal is in the 60s or below, but you have to consider if you were "hot" in the other sections. That is, you scored higher than you expected and than you normally do on reputable practice exams (which doesn't mean many, but still).

P.S. Everyone else can chime in on questions. I'd like for this thread to become very popular so that future PCAT takers can get the whole picture.;)

The scenario I mention occurs when someone earns a 95+ in math, verbal, and reading, but mediocre scores in the science sections to bring the composite down to 85. The most extreme example is when one does well in four sections, but has a science section lower than 70. In that case, the composite is a potential keeper, but one may want to retake the PCAT. More often than not, a score here is competitive but the PCAT could be worth retaking.

How low are you talking about? For example, I got a 94 on my PCAT but I scored a mediocre 71 in biology. I still got into pharmacy schools. I suppose the exam is worth retaking if your verbal is in the 60s or below, but you have to consider if you were "hot" in the other sections. That is, you scored higher than you expected and than you normally do on reputable practice exams (which doesn't mean many, but still).

P.S. Everyone else can chime in on questions. I'd like for this thread to become very popular so that future PCAT takers can get the whole picture.;)

thanks for the response

let's say the composite is ~85-89, and the verbal scores are ~65, but everything else (math, chemistry, biology) is 82-95th percentile...bearing in mind the science sections are weighted more heavily and the person is still capable of communicating him or herself well are those verbal scores "bombing" and should he or she consider a re-take?

I was in that situation last time I took the exam. I scored an 92 composite, 95/99 in the verbals, mid-80s in bio/math, and a 40 in chem. Haha ooops...
I hadnt taken organic yet at the time, so I'm hoping it went better this time! Though I'm not so sure...lol

UPDATE: Check out the attached .pdf in the 3rd postto check out the average PCAT school at your school of interest. It's a rough compilation as I couldn't find the numbers for some schools. I will try to get that information in the coming weeks but if you can fill in a blank entry, then let me know:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would consider 90+ a 100% keep unless you scored below 80 in chemistry.

Yeah, people often scoff at why a person with a 90+ would want to retake the exam. I'm going to change the scale to reflect only % retake to make the post clearer and more accurate

thanks for the response

let's say the composite is ~85-89, and the verbal scores are ~65, but everything else (math, chemistry, biology) is 82-95th percentile...bearing in mind the science sections are weighted more heavily and the person is still capable of communicating him or herself well are those verbal scores "bombing" and should he or she consider a re-take?

I think that score would be fine as the composite is probably in the 80s at least. Verbal is probably the most controversial section on the PCAT given the questions about analogies and sentence completions. Also, it's rather difficult to get a huge increase in verbal by taking the PCAT again just months after said earlier PCAT. Verbal skills are more indirectly acquired versus the other sections where you can at least study more to improve your grade.

If that 65 was in chemistry or biology, then I might accept the risk of the other sections going down in a retake if it meant getting a better chem or bio score. Since some schools look strictly at the best score, the 85ish composite is presentable to schools.

So, I got my scores today. My scores were pretty good except for one which sticks out like a sore thumb. My score for reading was really low (56) although I got a 94 composite. My score for the writing part was a 4.0. Do you think it's wise to retake the pcat? I'm just really confused.:confused::confused::confused:

So, I got my scores today. My scores were pretty good except for one which sticks out like a sore thumb. My score for reading was really low (56) although I got a 94 composite. My score for the writing part was a 4.0. Do you think it's wise to retake the pcat? I'm just really confused.:confused::confused::confused:

56 is still in the top half. I wouldn't risk your 94 composite for one measily sub-test. Schools certainly emphasize the highest PCAT score but they also look real favorably on upward trend. Say you get an 80 on your reading and end up with an 83 composite next time, how would that look after you got a 94 just months earlier.

56 is still in the top half. I wouldn't risk your 94 composite for one measily sub-test. Schools certainly emphasize the highest PCAT score but they also look real favorably on upward trend. Say you get an 80 on your reading and end up with an 83 composite next time, how would that look after you got a 94 just months earlier.

Thank you so much for your input. I was really happy to see what I got but then that 56 :eek: really put a damper on me (especially after reading and re-reading the posts above). I probably won't take the pcat again but I wanted to be sure I'm making the right decision. Thanks again!:)

I think this thread is very helpful, but I was wondering how much does the writing score count for? I got over the 96th percentile for biology, chem, quantitative ability and composite....but I got a 2 on the writing (I'm having it rescored). Anyway, the thing is, I don't know just how detrimental that is, or whether I should retake the test because of it.

Thanks for all the help

I think this thread is very helpful, but I was wondering how much does the writing score count for? I got over the 96th percentile for biology, chem, quantitative ability and composite....but I got a 2 on the writing (I'm having it rescored). Anyway, the thing is, I don't know just how detrimental that is, or whether I should retake the test because of it.

Thanks for all the help

I'm in the same boat as you, I just got my scores with 90+ in all the sciences and a composite of 95, but I got a 2/2 in my writing. I wonder if they scored both my essays because I wrote one that I thought was pretty good, while the other one blew and probably deserved a 2. Should I retake the to up my writing scores? I managed to throw together an "essay" and get a 3 the first time I took the pcat, but the topic was much more interesting. Anyone have any suggestions?

I wonder if they scored both my essays

I think they scored the first one at the beginning of the exam because I wrote a good one for the first one but I only wrote two sentences for the second essay and took a nap since I didn't feel like writing midpoint.

Score:

Conventions of language: 4
Problem Solving: 3.5

It's a bit different from last year since they only gave you a single writing score.

Really? It's really surprising then, since the first assay is a really controversial topic and less related to pharmacy.

I think they scored the first one at the beginning of the exam because I wrote a good one for the first one but I only wrote two sentences for the second essay and took a nap since I didn't feel like writing midpoint.

Score:

Conventions of language: 4
Problem Solving: 3.5

It's a bit different from last year since they only gave you a single writing score.

neither essay on mine was pharmacy related... im thinking my second essay was graded... I got 3/3... which makes sense bc on the second one i was zapped. I never have liked 30 min essays anyway.

They could have had different essays on different forms and in different orders on different forms.

One of my essay topics is definitely related to medicine and pharmacy. They have different topics for different forms? Won't this mean more scoring trouble for them?

neither essay on mine was pharmacy related... im thinking my second essay was graded... I got 3/3... which makes sense bc on the second one i was zapped. I never have liked 30 min essays anyway.

They could have had different essays on different forms and in different orders on different forms.

dont want to get too specific bc its illegal or something... but i had 2 current events/politics prompts. No way medicine could be incorporated into either. Really fairness when it comes to that wouldnt bother me (they grade on critical thinking and conventions - shouldn't matter). WHat would be unfair is if they grade your first essay and my second (or vice versa).

The first essay was the same for everyone. There were 2 different topics for the second essay depending on what form you were given.

They were both major current events/political issues. The first one isn't really all that controversial except you can't answer in such a way that gives you away as either being extremely on the left or right. I took a pretty moderate stance in order to keep it safe. I actually took up about 4-5 pages since I've been keeping up with the details of this issue and I stated precedents of the past and how current systems of different countries have taken certain measures and passed legislation in order to deter the problem and how I would modify or augment them.

If they graded my second essay consisting of a measly two sentences, then I'm sure I would have gotten a 1.

Really? It's really surprising then, since the first assay is a really controversial topic and less related to pharmacy.

i didnt get my scores yet, but i'm 99% sure i did extremely bad like lower then 50 b/c i didnt study at all and i know nothing in biology (didnt take biologies yet) anyway umm that post with the person who got 95% with a 3.8 gpa and got rejected from 5 schools, WHERE DID U APPLY????,....b/c thats just really scary and also are ur pre reqs from CC or university?...b/c my gpa is only like 3.6 from a CC, and ur giving me no hope at all...thnx :(

i didnt get my scores yet, but i'm 99% sure i did extremely bad like lower then 50 b/c i didnt study at all and i know nothing in biology (didnt take biologies yet) anyway umm that post with the person who got 95% with a 3.8 gpa and got rejected from 5 schools, WHERE DID U APPLY????,....b/c thats just really scary and also are ur pre reqs from CC or university?...b/c my gpa is only like 3.6 from a CC, and ur giving me no hope at all...thnx :(

Uh, I guess that would be me. I was outright rejected by Creighton, Shenandoah, Virginia Commonwealth, and Idaho State. I was rejected in short order after interviewing with KU (Kansas), I was put on Minnesota's unranked waitlist after fighting it out with 80 other people on the last day of interviews for the remaining 9 seats. Minnesota has never used a single name from their unranked waitlist so it was essentially like getting an outright post-interview rejection. I was also waitlisted for Midwestern CPG. They don't rank their waitlist and they stick absolutely everyone they interview on it if they don't offer them seats. I was finally accepted by USN South Jordan campus almost 3 months to the day after interviewing. I think I must have been one of their last normal offers before seat money was due. My phone offer and acceptance was on May 8th. All of my recent (past 8 years) prequisites were taken at CC. I am certainly not a stereotypical applicant. A high PCAT score probably means more to ADCOMS if you've knocked out your prereqs in 2 or 3 years immediately following High School. I am 38 years old. I have been working fulltime for the past 15 years and nickle and diming my prereqs over the past 8 years finally getting really interested and serious about pharmacy during the past 2 years. I have about 125 college credits and only an associates degree in general studies to show for it obtained last summer. The more recent 6 years of that fulltime work was as a slave in the U.S. Navy in which I only obtained maybe 6 credits of college credit from non-standard accredited schools (I think). I did get into the school I really wanted to go to though. This is my first year applying. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Many applicants don't make it the first time around. Reapplying shows your dedication to the career and gives you a year to show improved upward trend, get more experience, and practice on your interview skills. Good luck to you all during the Fall 2008 cycle. My biggest piece of advice is this: 'On time is late!' Many of my applications were pushing deadlines and I think this greatly affected my interview and acceptance chances. I was also extremely stressed after completing 4 interviews and getting 7 effective rejections and not knowing my fate until May 8th.

So, my scores are as follows:

Verbal Ability: 78%
Biology: 94%
Reading Comprehension: 50%
Quantitative Ability: 87%
Chemistry: 67%

Composite: 83%

I'm not at all suprised about my reading comprehension score; interpreting literature has never been my strong point.

However, I am, for the most part, in acceptance of the other scores, with the exception of the chemistry score. An 83% composite score isn't horrible, but then again, it isn't amazing either!

I'm pondering if I should go through the time and money of retaking the test. My PharmCAS application is complete along with half of my secondary applications; however, I've delayed submitting them because, in part, I wanted to wait until I received my PCAT score.

If I was to apply early (send out my paper work now) with a composite score of an 83%, would I be okay???

Sigh, I really don't want to retake that test again (lol)

I just go my scores today and, as I predicted, I totally butchered my math section. I did pretty well in the other sections, but should I retake the test and try to do better on the math. Did my other scores offset the horrible math score, and I shouldn't worry about it?? I've always done bad in math and no matter how hard i study I always get a below average score.

My scores:
Verbal: 414 73 percentile
Biology: 435 91 percentile
Reading: 428 87 percentile
Quantitative: 393 42 percentile
Chemistry: 431 89 percentile
Composite: 420 84 percentile

I was also above the mean in the writing subsections. Just wondering what you all think.
user_offline.gif

hey guys,

alright can some of you guys comment on my scores and whether or not i should retake the pcat? im going to be a junior at truman state university this coming year, and i plan on graduating after my senior year with a chemistry degree, then pursue pharmacy school.

here are my scores:

verbal - 82
bio - 42 (yikes?!)
reading - 87
quant - 73
chem - 89
composite - 80

writing convention - 3.0
problem solving - 2.5

you guys think i should retake the pcat, and if yes, is retaking it sooner better? thanks in advance

edit:
im hoping to attend UMKC, or USC, who does not require the PCAT.

Hey all,

This is my first post here, and I just took the June 2006 PCAT:

Verbal: 432 90%
Biology: 420 80%
Reading: 408 62%
Quantitative: 418 80%
Chemistry: 436 92%
Composite: 423 87%

Writing: Conventions 2.0/ Problem Solving 3.0

Do you guys think this I need to retake because of the low reading/writing scores? I'm really satisifed overall with all of the scores except for the reading and writing. I'm most likely applying to AZ and Creighton.

Hello, this is my first post! Thanks for all the great information everyone!

Ok, my scores were

Verbal 99%
Biology 98%
Reading Comp 95%
Quantitative 76%
Chemistry 52%
Composite 96%!!!

I am ecstatic about these scores since I took the test before I started Calc I or Organic. I see in the original post that 95-99% is a definite keep but the Chem section might be a red flag. Keep in mind, my biology is 98% so I didn't bomb ALL my sciences. I'm applying to University of Florida and I'm hoping that the composite is enough to warrant an interview in which I can explain the chem score being low. My GPA is a 3.8 with straight A's in all sciences so far (Chem 1 and 2, Bio 1 and 2)

So what do you guys think? Is a retake necessary? I had to drive 2 hours and stay overnight for the last test and I'm not looking to do that again!

Thanks!

The June 2007 was my first PCAT:

Verbal
439 94
Biology
450 97
Reading
452 98
Quant
426 87
Chem
415 75

Composite
436 96

Writing
2/2

I know that's a great Composite, and I assume that the Quantitative is fine at 87 %ile, so that leaves three questions:

1) Does the 75 %ile in Chemistry make it look like I've got a big gap in my knowledge???

2) Am I doomed (or even just really hurt) by the 2/2 in Writing???

3) Should I retake the PCAT??? It would risk a great Composite score and an unexpectedly high Biology result (I haven't finished A&P yet, so haven't covered the circulatory, lymphatic, endocrine, or excretory systems, so I was shocked by the 97 in bio). But that writing score makes it look like I can't communicate worth a damn (except for memorizing some big words
to get past the analogy section).

What do you guys think? Any opinions are appreciated!

-- Boojum

i am a non native english speaker, so i knew that i would do bad in verbal and reading comp. in chem, bio, and math, i got a 87,88, and 98 respectively. verbal and reading, on the other hand, are 66 and 25. ouch. I dont think i should try retaking the pcat anymore; I should just take the TOEFL. any suggestions??

oh, my composite is a 87.

i want your reading comp and verbal scores. lol. just joking. pharmacy is mostly about chemistry, so I do feel that you need to improve your chemistry score one way or the other.

If my composite was anything below an 80, I was definitely retaking it. If it was anything above at 85, I definitely would cancel my August PCAT date. However, with my 83 I am stuck!!!!! Most of you are thinking "too long, didn't read" at this point, or at a point 32048 lines of text ago, but for those of you who made it this far, what do you think? Thanks in advance for any input.

Your score is either above or close to the average for your two choices. Since they are averages, some people obviously got into Creighton with something less than an 86. All subsections of your test were greater than 70, which seems reasonable to me.

The biggest thing at this point is probably everything else - GPA, experience, personal statement, etc. People think that I'm golden because I got a 99, but I'm honestly scared to be against so many people with 75 PCAT and 5 years as a pharm tech. I also lack a cheery personality and I speak way too fast.

I'm still wondering: I know my chem was low (52) but my composite was high (96). Do you guys think that with a high GPA (3.8), all A's in chem/bio, 2 great letters of recommendation, and an interview in which I explain that I took the PCAT before I started Organic, will the low chem section still be such a huge problem?

I'm still wondering: I know my chem was low (52) but my composite was high (96). Do you guys think that with a high GPA (3.8), all A's in chem/bio, 2 great letters of recommendation, and an interview in which I explain that I took the PCAT before I started Organic, will the low chem section still be such a huge problem?

Why did you take the exam before taking organic? I've noticed that a number of people around here seem to be doing similar.

What does that say about you if you knew ahead of time organic would be on the test, but you took it anyway, without proper preparation?

Also, are you sure your general chemistry is up to par? I saw a couple other people mention that they hadn't had organic, but their chemistry scores were more in the 70s or low 80s.

i just got my scores, im not gonna list them because there embarassing, but i was right, less than 50 :(...so my Q is, even though i will take them again in aug. hopefully do better, what will the schools think about this score!!!...will it affect my chaces of getting it :(

Hey guys, I just want to start off by saying I am new to the board but it is an OUTSTANDING resource! Can someone help me determine my chances here?

I just got my PCAT scores back and scored a composite 82, but the kicker is, I scored like a 53 on verbal ability, which decreased considerably from the first time I took it. That was the main thing that decreased, and that is what is pulling my composite score down. Here are my scores:

First time taking---------Second time taking
Verbal Ability: 74---------53
Biology: 71---------66
Reading Comp.: 56---------87
Quantitative: 82---------87
Chemistry: 76---------87
Composite: 75---------82

Writing 1st time: 2

Writing 2nd time: 3 and 3

I did really well on math and chemistry and I know I can do better when I actually have time to study. My biggest problem is that I played division 1 football at Florida State University and it dragged my GPA down. I have a 3.2 right now, although I have gotten all A's this summer (4 classes) and I plan on doing well from here on out now that I am no longer playing.

I was in the military for a short time, which I thought might help me. I was in the hardest training on the planet, AF special ops. Again since I played football I never had a chance to do much community service or work in a pharmacy, it was an all day, all year thing. For the last year, however, I have worked for a company as the research and development manager, designing health supplements and working in a lab and have recently started community service as a MENTOR, where I take care of a child who's parents are incarcerated every week. I hope it isn't too late for this?

I reside in Florida and therefore applied to UF, because I figured it would be easier to get in when I live in state. I also applied to Mercer and South Carolina. But this is my last chance at going to pharmacy school. Are there any other southeastern schools that I should consider that might be easier to get into? Any advice? What are my chances at UF?

I got my scores a few days ago, I think i did well since I'm only a sophomore but you be the judge

Verbal 79%
Biology 97%
Reading Comp 92%
Quantitative 96%
Chemistry 89%

verbal 53%
biology 84%
reading 87%
quant 95%
chemistry 94%

writing 3, 2.5

At first I was pretty pumped about this score, but my Verbal is just throwing everything off....I'm trying to go UNC, which has an average of about 85%. my composite score was 91...Even though mines higher, i still don't feel completely confident. what do u guys think? btw I have a 3.8 gpa

verbal 53%
biology 84%
reading 87%
quant 95%
chemistry 94%

writing 3, 2.5

At first I was pretty pumped about this score, but my Verbal is just throwing everything off....I'm trying to go UNC, which has an average of about 85%. my composite score was 91...Even though mines higher, i still don't feel completely confident. what do u guys think? btw I have a 3.8 gpa

imo, you're fine with that score. your reading comp score and gpa are high enough to show you know how to read. just make sure you have a good personal statement too, to show writing ability.

verbal 38%
bio 88%
reading 62%
math 91%
chem 89%
composite 83%

I know my verbal scores and reading scores are low as I never did well on those sections, even in the SAT. I'm just wondering would a low score like that affect my chances.

Is the composite score an average of the scores earned on verbal, rdg comp, quantitative, bio, and chem sections, or is there a different way they determine this?

I see some people with some high scores, and some low scores in each of the 5, but then they come out to having like a 95% composite so I'm a bit confused...

Your scaled scores from all of your sections sans the writing are averaged to form the composite scaled score. That score is compared to the curve set by the 1998-2003 PCAT examinees to determine your percentile rank. So no, your composite percentile isn't an average of all your section percentiles as each percentile is from a different curve thus making an average a bad math procedure. ;) A stellar scaled score from one section can really skew things so I suppose that's why some schools like Buffalo and UNC simply add your percentiles up rather than take the composite.

So, my scores are as follows:

Verbal Ability: 78%
Biology: 94%
Reading Comprehension: 50%
Quantitative Ability: 87%
Chemistry: 67%

Composite: 83%

I'm not at all suprised about my reading comprehension score; interpreting literature has never been my strong point.

However, I am, for the most part, in acceptance of the other scores, with the exception of the chemistry score. An 83% composite score isn't horrible, but then again, it isn't amazing either!

I'm pondering if I should go through the time and money of retaking the test. My PharmCAS application is complete along with half of my secondary applications; however, I've delayed submitting them because, in part, I wanted to wait until I received my PCAT score.

If I was to apply early (send out my paper work now) with a composite score of an 83%, would I be okay???

Sigh, I really don't want to retake that test again (lol)

An 83 is quite presentable, so I would submit your application. How is the rest of your application? Right now, the only thing that's glaring on your scores is that 67 in the PCAT. So, I would predict that your score is in the middle of the pack for many schools.

I just go my scores today and, as I predicted, I totally butchered my math section. I did pretty well in the other sections, but should I retake the test and try to do better on the math. Did my other scores offset the horrible math score, and I shouldn't worry about it?? I've always done bad in math and no matter how hard i study I always get a below average score.

My scores:
Verbal: 414 73 percentile
Biology: 435 91 percentile
Reading: 428 87 percentile
Quantitative: 393 42 percentile
Chemistry: 431 89 percentile
Composite: 420 84 percentile

I was also above the mean in the writing subsections. Just wondering what you all think.
user_offline.gif

Do consider that some schools have section minimums where that 42 in math is an issue. However, your science scores are good and everything else seems fine.

hey guys,

alright can some of you guys comment on my scores and whether or not i should retake the pcat? im going to be a junior at truman state university this coming year, and i plan on graduating after my senior year with a chemistry degree, then pursue pharmacy school.

here are my scores:

verbal - 82
bio - 42 (yikes?!)
reading - 87
quant - 73
chem - 89
composite - 80

writing convention - 3.0
problem solving - 2.5

you guys think i should retake the pcat, and if yes, is retaking it sooner better? thanks in advance

edit:
im hoping to attend UMKC, or USC, who does not require the PCAT.

If those are your top schools, then you could be fine. However, I would retake it because that biology score is bad. Looking at your other sections, you don't have much to lose from the other sections but room to gain improvement too.

Hey all,

This is my first post here, and I just took the June 2006 PCAT:

Verbal: 432 90%
Biology: 420 80%
Reading: 408 62%
Quantitative: 418 80%
Chemistry: 436 92%
Composite: 423 87%

Writing: Conventions 2.0/ Problem Solving 3.0

Do you guys think this I need to retake because of the low reading/writing scores? I'm really satisifed overall with all of the scores except for the reading and writing. I'm most likely applying to AZ and Creighton.

You are above average for both Creighton pathways (81 for campus, 86 for distance). Your lowest score is a reading score that is above the minimum, so I think keeping your scores won't be detrimental to your application.

Ok, my scores were

Verbal 99%
Biology 98%
Reading Comp 95%
Quantitative 76%
Chemistry 52%
Composite 96%!!!

I am ecstatic about these scores since I took the test before I started Calc I or Organic. I see in the original post that 95-99% is a definite keep but the Chem section might be a red flag. Keep in mind, my biology is 98% so I didn't bomb ALL my sciences. I'm applying to University of Florida and I'm hoping that the composite is enough to warrant an interview in which I can explain the chem score being low. My GPA is a 3.8 with straight A's in all sciences so far (Chem 1 and 2, Bio 1 and 2)

So what do you guys think? Is a retake necessary? I had to drive 2 hours and stay overnight for the last test and I'm not looking to do that again!

Thanks!

I would check with Florida regarding how one bombed section looks because everything else on your application is stellar. Your As in chemistry classes should offset that 52 so I could imagine that score being an anomaly as the PCAT isn't gospel.

The June 2007 was my first PCAT:

Verbal
439 94
Biology
450 97
Reading
452 98
Quant
426 87
Chem
415 75

Composite
436 96

Writing
2/2

I know that's a great Composite, and I assume that the Quantitative is fine at 87 %ile, so that leaves three questions:

1) Does the 75 %ile in Chemistry make it look like I've got a big gap in my knowledge???

2) Am I doomed (or even just really hurt) by the 2/2 in Writing???

3) Should I retake the PCAT??? It would risk a great Composite score and an unexpectedly high Biology result (I haven't finished A&P yet, so haven't covered the circulatory, lymphatic, endocrine, or excretory systems, so I was shocked by the 97 in bio). But that writing score makes it look like I can't communicate worth a damn (except for memorizing some big words
to get past the analogy section).

What do you guys think? Any opinions are appreciated!

-- Boojum

Though I came across a school with a minimum writing score of 3, I don't think you should retake the PCAT. I got into three schools with a 71 bio and 94 overall.;)

i am a non native english speaker, so i knew that i would do bad in verbal and reading comp. in chem, bio, and math, i got a 87,88, and 98 respectively. verbal and reading, on the other hand, are 66 and 25. ouch. I dont think i should try retaking the pcat anymore; I should just take the TOEFL. any suggestions??

oh, my composite is a 87.

You could make do with not retaking the PCAT if you avoid the schools with section minimums. I suggest getting Examkrakers 1001 Questions in Verbal Reasoning for some hardcore practice. I'm not sure how schools consider TOEFL in an application.

i just got my scores, im not gonna list them because there embarassing, but i was right, less than 50 :(...so my Q is, even though i will take them again in aug. hopefully do better, what will the schools think about this score!!!...will it affect my chaces of getting it :(

If it's less than 50, then you really need to do some relearning as you are either not great with standardized testing or you forgot some stuff. That score will prevent interviews. I would take it in August if you need the October exam as a backup.

Hey guys, I just want to start off by saying I am new to the board but it is an OUTSTANDING resource! Can someone help me determine my chances here?

I just got my PCAT scores back and scored a composite 82, but the kicker is, I scored like a 53 on verbal ability, which decreased considerably from the first time I took it. That was the main thing that decreased, and that is what is pulling my composite score down. Here are my scores:

First time taking---------Second time taking
Verbal Ability: 74---------53
Biology: 71---------66
Reading Comp.: 56---------87
Quantitative: 82---------87
Chemistry: 76---------87
Composite: 75---------82

Writing 1st time: 2

Writing 2nd time: 3 and 3

I did really well on math and chemistry and I know I can do better when I actually have time to study. My biggest problem is that I played division 1 football at Florida State University and it dragged my GPA down. I have a 3.2 right now, although I have gotten all A's this summer (4 classes) and I plan on doing well from here on out now that I am no longer playing.

I was in the military for a short time, which I thought might help me. I was in the hardest training on the planet, AF special ops. Again since I played football I never had a chance to do much community service or work in a pharmacy, it was an all day, all year thing. For the last year, however, I have worked for a company as the research and development manager, designing health supplements and working in a lab and have recently started community service as a MENTOR, where I take care of a child who's parents are incarcerated every week. I hope it isn't too late for this?

I reside in Florida and therefore applied to UF, because I figured it would be easier to get in when I live in state. I also applied to Mercer and South Carolina. But this is my last chance at going to pharmacy school. Are there any other southeastern schools that I should consider that might be easier to get into? Any advice? What are my chances at UF?

UF is very competitive given that the lowest PCAT any student in their 2006 class was 70 (assuming they didn't let someone in due to contacts). Your overall PCAT is on the edge of the competitive range at UF. You do remember that UF considers prereq GPA right?

I got my scores a few days ago, I think i did well since I'm only a sophomore but you be the judge

Verbal 79%
Biology 97%
Reading Comp 92%
Quantitative 96%
Chemistry 89%

You're fine....:)

verbal 53%
biology 84%
reading 87%
quant 95%
chemistry 94%

writing 3, 2.5

That verbal score seems like the only thing that would hold your application back, which isn't much. I think it can pass as an anomaly as long as you make sure UNC has no section minimum.

An 83 is quite presentable, so I would submit your application. How is the rest of your application? Right now, the only thing that's glaring on your scores is that 67 in the PCAT. So, I would predict that your score is in the middle of the pack for many schools.

First of all, before I begin, I would like to say thank you Omnione for responding!

The rest of my application is a follows:

Academics/GPA:

I will be graduating with a degree in Microbiology and Cell Science (minor in chemistry) within the next two weeks. Currently, the University of Florida calculates my GPA as a 3.55 (I've taken all my classes at the University of Florida). I haven't submitted my application yet, so I have no idea what my PharmCAS GPA is.

The (low) chemistry score:

I agree, that does stick out; however, I have earned the following grades in my chemistry classes:

Chem 1/2: A (labs: A)
Organic 1: B
Organic 2: C+ (took it in the summer, wasn't a smart idea)
Organic lab: B
Biochemistry: A
Anaylitical Chem: B+ (lab: B)

...also, last semester, I took a Biochemistry of Prokaryotic Cells course, in which, I earned an A :) Hopefully, my overall success in my previous chemistry classes would offset my PCAT chemistry result.

LOR:

I was able to obtain two LOR from two professors who know me quite well and one from a Clinical Pharmacist (who is of equal caliber). I'm pretty confident in my LORs.

Pharmacy Experience:

I have never worked for a pharmacist (i.e. Walgreen's or in a hospital setting). However, I was, for two years, a veterinary technician and worked in a veterinary clinic for approximately two years. I think, hopefully, that'll count as exposure to the "field."

Also, I recently completed an interesting shadowing type internship with the Clinical Pharmacist who wrote one of my recommendations.

Extracurriculars:

I think my ECs are sufficient. I have club activities, volunteer activities, overseas travel (via some of my club activities), and work stuff (vet. Clinic).

Personal Statement:

I think I have a GOOD personal statement (but that is subjective, lol).

Sight, Omnionne, I would consider myself a "well-rounded" applicant. I just don't want a ludicrous standardized test to overshadow my application!

...what do you think :confused:

Ok, my scores were

Verbal 99%
Biology 98%
Reading Comp 95%
Quantitative 76%
Chemistry 52%
Composite 96%!!!

Thanks!
wow, nice scores! i would contact the college and see if they take the latest or the best PCAT scores. Either way, I recommend you take it again because of the chemistry score. Even if you get a lower composite, if your chem section increases, maybe they will notice that. I know they stress the chemistry and math sections, that is why I suggest it. But i would ask other UF pharmacy students first before you register. good luck, i think you will definately get in!