The SDN Meal-Prep and Recipie Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh I just thought of this one as I am going to make it today....

Take some precooked garbanzo beans (In the our freezer we always have a bag of them some where... better for burns than an ice pack...) If the beans are in a can, wash them and remove the slime. (Or keep the slime, chill it and use it to make macarons... look that up if you have some time.;)) (edit: the slime is called aquafaba.)

Place them (single layer) into a lipped sheet pan. Toss with oil, salt, and some garlic. Bake at 350-425. Once they turn brown and are crunchy they are done. Let it cool. I LOVE to eat them straight up, but you can add more before or after they are cooked. Its so straight forward anyone can enjoy a protein packed snack. Great for post workout calorie light snacks... (In case you decide to go eat @mwsapphire 's cake recipe... this may be important. :laugh: I have to try the cake recipe out this week and surprise the family with a mid-week desert!)

Oh, for more great recipes look at 'NY Times Food' section, they have an email that they send out multiple times a week full of great ideas! They not only give you recipes, but also teach you cooking theory though the year with some great tips. (What makes a French soup base vs an Italian or Spanish? What about breads?... How do you pair foods so that they make great combos... Pro tip: Meat is always paired with an acid. i.e. Grilled chicken with a light salad... But what do you do with a breaded meat without making a slaw?... How do you know what foods go with what season? How do you cook in season for lowest prices, yet not eat the same stuff a million times? ... Yeah there is a TON of great info. Check it out!)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Mexican Migas (not to be confused with Iberian Migas). This recipe is super versatile and you can basically throw in whatever you want. Think of it like a Mexican breakfast stir fry. YUM.

• Eggs, beaten (I use ~2-3 per person)
  • Corn tortillas Chopped into strips (you can do a 2x2 cut for "squares" or a 2x1 cut for strips, about 5 tortillas per person)
  • Cheese
  • ~2 tbsp Oil
  • Onion, chopped (optional)
  • Serrano peppers (optional)
  • Jalapeno peppers (optional)
  • (Almost) literally any other vegetable (optional)
  1. Get that big saucepan nice and hot with a little bit of oil in there.
  2. Saute vegetables
  3. Remove vegetables (or don't, nbd)
  4. Add tortilla pieces
  5. Cook/toss until they start to get just a little crispy
  6. Dump your eggs into the pan
  7. Re-add vegetables
  8. Scramble all that crap together
  9. Remove from pan
  10. Apply cheese directly to the forehead
Goes great with salsa or ketchup

Finally gave this a go this morning and it was SO good!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, only Jesus can resurrect things from the dead. Lol
It hasn't even been a month yet. The need for good recipes never expires.

It hasn't even been a month yet. The need for good recipes never expires.
It feels dead... like my friends are dead to me upon not seeing them after a month. Lol

It feels dead... like my friends are dead to me upon not seeing them after a month. Lol
o_O
Edit: I have heard the phrase it just seems weird to cut off your friends ( and consider them " dead to you") after not seeing them for a month. like wut.

Last edited:
You can make a quick brunch "stir fry" with the following recipe:
Any sort of breakfast meat you want ( I use about 1-2 ounces depending on what I use. Beef is 2 ounces, bacon is 1. ) ( salami, bacon, bolgna, sauasage, beef)
Garlic ( 1 small clove should be enough)
an Egg
I use 1/2 cup of egg noodles but you can use whatever noodles you want
Salt/pepper/other seasonings
Boil the water/noodles. Saute the meat and garlic together. Add in the beaten egg and stir with a fork until scrambled. The seasonings I use are the following: Chinese salt, black pepper, chilli powder, tumeric, toasted cumin, and ground coriander.
It's greasy and satisfying, but definitely not healthy ( unless you use some kind of lean meat, like ground turkey sausage).This is very versatile and is sort of barely a recipe but for some reason it feels like an actual meal even though you can toss it together in 20 minutes.

Bean Burritos ( low in fat, high in protein and fiber).
- 1/2 cup fat free refried beans.
- 1-2 tablepspoons taco sauce, enchilada sauce, hot sauce, whichever you want
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion
- 2 table spoons cheddar or jack cheese.
- large flour tortilla

Heat up the beans in the microwave.Place everything in the middle of the tortilla, and before folding it put it in the toaster oven to broil and melt the cheese. Then fold it up into a burrito, or you can put the filling in the tortilla and fold it like a quesidilla and heat on the stove top. It's really filling because of the fiber and protein in the beans and tastes great.
Edit: @miniman , Those portions in your breakfast scramble recipe are huge. I barely have any appetite in the morning. I wish I could load up with a big breakfast but I know I'd make it and eat like one quarter of it.

Last edited:
Edit: @miniman , Those portions in your breakfast scramble recipe are huge. I barely have any appetite in the morning. I wish I could load up with a big breakfast but I know I'd make it and eat like one quarter of it.
:) Yeah well.... I used to do school while eating after a run in the morning.... so, my hunger levels were a bit higher in a hypoglycemic state... lol.(did I just do a pre-med gunner?)

But its like two pearl onions (thats all we grow in our garden), 2 eggs, and a thing of asparagus... The quiche is meant for leftovers... IDK you sound more bird like than human to me.... lol

A...a bird? Because....my stomach is small....?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A...a bird? Because....my stomach is small....?

Yup. "You eat like a bird." Are you tired of being personified yet? Or is that objectification I'm doing? Either way... I'll stop. It's what we do in my family, and we think we are funny.

Last edited:
Lebanese Chicken Bake:

What you need:

-chicken breast tenderloins, cut into chunks (2lbs)

-juice of 2 lemons (more is better)
-paprika (1 tbsp)
-garlic (2 tbsp)
-cumin (1tsp)
-olive oil (2 tbsp)
-honey (2 tbsp)

Mix all of the ingredients into a ziploc bag and shake it around to distribute the seasonings.

Let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes

Spread it on a baking sheet

Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes (or until cooked)

Goes great with:

Rice, tahini, tzatziki, hummus, pita.

Last week I made this chicken with a side of plain rice and I bought a tub of tzatziki and pita. Made it into shawarma wraps using the pita bread and spread the sauce on top.

So. Freaking. Good.

Reactions: 6 users
Guys....in the name of indulgent food to have after you break your fast ( If you're Muslim)
Brie Brulee
It's basically the same thing as creme brulee, slice up a chunk of brie cheese, then coat the top in sugar. Toss it in the toaster oven and broil until you get a hard candy top. Pull out, put in the fridge until cheese hardens. Then eat with grapes and crackers. Soooo. Good

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys....in the name of indulgent food to have after you break your fast ( If you're Muslim)
Brie Brulee
It's basically the same thing as creme brulee, slice up a chunk of brie cheese, then coat the top in sugar. Toss it in the toaster oven and broil until you get a hard candy top. Pull out, put in the fridge until cheese hardens. Then eat with grapes and crackers. Soooo. Good
That's insane, thank you for my next late night stress eating session lol. I've never made brulee as I always seem to lack a torch :laugh: after you put it in the fridge, does the center stay gooey?

That's insane, thank you for my next late night stress eating session lol. I've never made brulee as I always seem to lack a torch :laugh: after you put it in the fridge, does the center stay gooey?
Ooooo you an just google alternatives to a torch, I actually was watching an Ina Garten cooking show when I was kid and they showed this, so I tried it. I mean, think about it- your broiling the sugar just like you broil cheese on a meal, why shouldn't you use an oven? The only downside is, for the actual custard, the custard will get too warm. You don't have to put it in the fridge if you like melty cheese, leave it on the counter for a bit and the sugar will harden and the cheese will stay gooey.
Ugghhh, I'm salivating. Only four hours left...

For cooking beginners or the lazy, a protein-rich, cheap salad that stores well:

canned beans, rinsed and drained (chickpea, kidney, & black beans are a favorite combo)
canned corn, drained
chopped tomatoes or salsa (ex: Pico de Gallo, less water the better), depending on your laziness
salt and pep'
olive oil
lemon/lime juice
seasonings (chile/lime seasoning from Trader Joe's, cumin/oregano/cayenne, whatever else or nothing at all)

cilantro (optional; rip with fingers)

1. Put everything into large tupperware. Shake with lid on.
2. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Lebanese Chicken Bake:

What you need:

-paprika (1 tbsp)
-garlic (2 tbsp)
-cumin (1tsp)
-olive oil (2 tbsp)
-honey (2 tbsp).

Do you use fresh garlic, chopped or do you use something else (e.g. garlic powder?)

Do you use fresh garlic, chopped or do you use something else (e.g. garlic powder?)
Fresh garlic is always, always king for marinades. Garlic powder just isn't as aromatic, and is better for dry rubs. Just my .02. You don't even need to chop it, just mash it up to a pulp and toss it in. Or us a grater for fast grating ( mincing gets tedious)

Whole cloves. He just mashes them into the tablespoons. I've tried to get him to stop but he just won't.

Lebanese Chicken Bake:

What you need:

-paprika (1 tbsp)
-garlic (2 tbsp)
-cumin (1tsp)
-olive oil (2 tbsp)
-honey (2 tbsp)

Mix all of the ingredients into a ziploc bag and shake it around to distribute the seasonings.

Let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes

Spread it on a baking sheet

Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes (or until cooked)

Goes great with:

Rice, tahini, tzatziki, hummus, pita.

Last week I made this chicken with a side of plain rice and I bought a tub of tzatziki and pita. Made it into shawarma wraps using the pita bread and spread the sauce on top.

So. Freaking. Good.

Quoting to save and make sometime soon. LOVE me some middle eastern food

Can anyone share a decent tahini recipe?

Can anyone share a decent tahini recipe?

This is my family's homemade (Egyptian) Tahini sauce recipe. It does *not* involve making the tahini itself from sesame seed paste (too much work) but rather spices up the plain tahini you can buy from a Mediterranean/Middle eastern food store in the US.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup plain tahini
1/4 cup water, more or less depending on your preferred thickness. (Usually I put a tiny bit more but depends on how I plan to serve it.)
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt (I usually omit, though, depending on what I'm serving with)
1 teaspoons lime juice (I usually add an extra 1 tsp to taste)
2 minced garlic cloves. (I mince myself but you could also buy it that way)
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon cumin (I add a little more. Love cumin)

Add all ingredients except 1 of the garlic cloves to a food processor and spin until everything is well combined. Add contents to a bowl and mix in the last clove of garlic (my mom also adds some chopped onion and red pepper flakes here, if you like). Top with a teaspoon of olive oil if you care to make it look fancy, and it's done!

It's quick and goes great with pita bread, felafel, foul (Egyptian refried bean dish), seafood, etc. we often mix it with homemade hummus too for a yummy dip.

^ We buy our hummus. And our tahini. We do make homemade kebabs though...we don't make homemade stuff ( besides baking) if it's not Pakistani and it can be bought.

How many muslims on here are fasting? And still browsing this thread?
*raises hand*

Fresh crushed is best, store bought garlic paste works too if you're lazy (like me). Haven't tried the powder yet but I'm sure it could work in a bind

Facebook has aggressively been advertising Halo Top to me lately. I guess I'll have to give in and give it a go eventually.

I finally tried halo top guys. Holy crap it's so good!!! I'm in love with the cookie dough flavor.

I finally tried halo top guys. Holy crap it's so good!!! I'm in love with the cookie dough flavor.
I heard that that flavor is dumb because there's almost no chunks. Is that wrong?

I heard that that flavor is dumb because there's almost no chunks. Is that wrong?

It's certainly not jam packed, but I am pleased enough. Considering how low cal it is I am just fine with it.

It's so expensive though. Costs 6 bucks for 1 small container in my area.
Yeah, the price sucks. It's like $5 here.

Fresh crushed is best, store bought garlic paste works too if you're lazy (like me). Haven't tried the powder yet but I'm sure it could work in a bind
Skip the powder. I keep a bulb or two of garlic in the kitchen cabinet (dark and mostly cool) in a small glass jar that is missing its lid.

My other tip: Keep a bag in the freezer of the trimmings of vegetables and fruit: onions, garlic, potato, asparagus, broccoli, carrots, celery, apple, etc. When you have a large amount, throw it in a large pot, cover with water and simmer for 30 minutes or so. It makes a flavorable vegan broth for soup, rice, couscous, etc. and it's free because it is stuff you'd otherwise be tossing out.

Reactions: 1 users
Speaking of Mediterranean, I used to marinate chicken for a whole day in the fridge with greek yogurt, lemon juice, onion, ginger, garlic, oregano and paprika. Then grill or bake em however you prefer. Deliciousness! and they always look so perfectly golden brown!

I practically have a separate grocery fund dedicated to those staggeringly overpriced little pints of joy. Peanut butter cup and pistachio are my faves!

I practically have a separate grocery fund dedicated to those staggeringly overpriced little pints of joy. Peanut butter cup and pistachio are my faves!

Mint chip and Peanutbutter cup are next level

>healthy
>beer

:hilarious:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen Halo top in the supermarket and you piqued my interest. In looking at the ingredient list I see erythitol (a sugar alcohol that is not metabolized) and Stevia. It won't be on my grocery list.

One local store sells Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream and although some of the flavors are too chi-chi, it is very high quality to match the very high price.

Last edited:
I've seen Halo top in the supermarket and you piqued my interest. In looking at the ingredient list I see erythitol (a sugar alcohol that is not metabolized) and Stevia. It won't be on my grocery list.

One local store sells Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream and although some of the flavors are to chi-chi, it is very high quality to match the very high price.

I have to ask, for my own knowledge, because the internet is a tricky place to navigate info about food additives -- what exactly is wrong with erythritol and/or stevia?

My understanding is that neither one has a significant association with adverse outcomes. Erythritol can sometimes cause GI symptoms after eating large amounts, but no serious damage as far as I'm aware. Stevia has been heavily used in other countries for decades without issues arising. I've read it can be beneficial for HTN as a mild vasodilator, FWIW. Both have a glycemic index of ~0 for concerned diabetics. Perhaps the drawback is that they don't contribute to satiety the way real sugar does, but who really eats dessert to feel full?

Are there more ominous studies out there that I'm unaware of? Or is this based on a (probably reasonable) suspicion and avoidance of food additives in general?

Maybe my eyes are glazing over all the negatives so I can keep eating my ice cream guilt-free #confirmationbias

I have to ask, for my own knowledge, because the internet is a tricky place to navigate info about food additives -- what exactly is wrong with erythritol and/or stevia?

I find that things with Stevia don't taste good to me. I've purchased groceries not realizing they contain Stevia and I have had to give away or throw away the item. YMMV

I am hesitant to consume sugar alcohols because they can cause "GI symptoms". No one's got time for that when it is so avoidable by avoiding those products.

Reactions: 2 users
I find that things with Stevia don't taste good to me. I've purchased groceries not realizing they contain Stevia and I have had to give away or throw away the item. YMMV

I am hesitant to consume sugar alcohols because they can cause "GI symptoms". No one's got time for that when it is so avoidable by avoiding those products.

+1. Table sugar alternatives don't taste quite right to me. It's not that they taste bad, but they're just not as good as cane sugar.

I only purchase alternative sweetener beverages when they're on sale and when I'm watching my calorie intake.

On this topic, there is a significant dose-dependent response to sugar alcohols in terms of GI irritation.

For those who are curious, Haribo sugar free gummy bears use a similar sweetener and they produce.....interesting.... results.

Link:
Sugarless Haribo Gummy Bear Reviews On Amazon Are The Most Insane Thing You'll Read Today

That being said, I still love Halo Top

Any Mediterranean food lovers out there?
:) :) :)

Addicted to Mediterranean food! I've recently been on a Balkan kick, and am currently trying to master my own cevapi and lepinja recipes (or borrow and modify >.<).

I'm pumped this thread exists! A goal over the next month is to build out my recipe book so I can efficiently meal plan my way through the next four years.

Does anyone here make their own falafels? And if so, have you tried making them in the oven vs frying?

Rice cooker meals! Basically add other crap to your rice when it cooks for a super bootleg meal. Lazy, crude, sure. Still, comes through in the clutch every g-darn time.

Throw frozen veggies and choice of beans along with your rice to get something cheap, passive, and easily made in bulk. Supplement with 2-3 eggs for more protein. I generally take 1-2 scoops of whey isolate in a day, so add more protein as needed if this is option is not possible.

Fun combos I've done (generally 4-5 meals, give or take depending on size):

-3 cups of uncooked rice + 1 lb frozen peas + 1 bag frozen stir-fry veggies + salt / pepper / paprika to taste. Serve with a tsp of butter or olive oil.

-3 cups uncooked rice + 1 lb black beans + 1 bag frozen pepper strips + 3 Tbsp sofrito (or salsa) + cumin / salt / pepper to taste. Serve with a tsp of olive oil. An absolute dream with sardines if you're into that ****.

-3 cups uncooked rice + 1 lb chickpeas (garbanzo beans) + 1/2 diced onion and fine mushroom mince + 3 Tbsp curry powder + cumin/ paprika/ any f*kin' spice you want to taste. Serve with a tsp of olive oil.