The SDN Meal-Prep and Recipie Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y'all could always have family dinners or like take turns cooking in bulk for the entire apartment/house?
I hope we get along well enough to do that. I haven't really lived with more than 1 roommate before and we just left each other alone.

Members don't see this ad.

Ohhh tofu pad thai? I've never cooked with tofu, but I really want to start.
For a great home-made pad Thai sauce (low sodium and low-sugar)

- 3 tablespoons of either coconut aminos (a soy free soy sauce alternative that is very low sodium) or low sodium soy sauce

-1 to 2 tablespoon of sriracha sauce

1/4 - 1/2 cup of hot chicken (or Veggie stock for you plant eaters)

Mix em all together for a pleasantly tangy and sweet pad Thai sauce, ready in minutes and low in sodium

Reactions: 1 user
Ohhh tofu pad thai? I've never cooked with tofu, but I really want to start.
Yessir. The recipe isn't for newbies though. **** gets real really fast. The problem with a decent wok-based recipe is that once you put your first ingredient in, there's no getting off the ride. Everything has to be prepared in advance a-la cooking tv show. I can post the recipe if anybody is actually interested though. I've been trying to keep my recipes in this thread at a beginner level.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For a great home-made pad Thai sauce (low sodium and low-sugar)

- 3 tablespoons of either coconut aminos (a soy free soy sauce alternative that is very low sodium) or low sodium soy sauce

-1 to 2 tablespoon of sriracha sauce

1/4 - 1/2 cup of hot chicken (or Veggie stock for you plant eaters)

Mix em all together for a pleasantly tangy and sweet pad Thai sauce, ready in minutes and low in sodium
No offense, but that recipe is blasphemous.

1 pound is like nothing lol. You can easily lose 1 pound of water weight with almost no loss of performance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile
Yeah, I'm not trying to mess with my water tooo much. Just gonna eat a few hundred cals less and let it sort itself out. I drop fat real quick when I don't eat enough to maintain my size (my natural appetite is much lower than the caloric needs to maintain my body weight)

Yessir. The recipe isn't for newbies though. **** gets real really fast. The problem with a decent wok-based recipe is that once you put your first ingredient in, there's no getting off the ride. Everything has to be prepared in advance a-la cooking tv show. I can post the recipe if anybody is actually interested though. I've been trying to keep my recipes in this thread at a beginner level.

On this note, I wanna thank freak for keeping this stuff entry-level

My hope for this thread would be for these recipies to be

A- Easy
B- Fast
C- Practical for a college student
D- Cheap

Since the trifecta for gainz is sleep, eat and train, I think all that's left is for @RogueBanana to create a sleep thread. Post pics of everyone sleeping.

Since the trifecta for gainz is sleep, eat and train, I think all that's left is for @RogueBanana to create a sleep thread. Post pics of everyone sleeping.

I uh...haven't... I don't know what you're talking about.

*kicks box of polaroids under the couch*

Reactions: 3 users
On this note, I wanna thank freak for keeping this stuff entry-level

My hope for this thread would be for these recipies to be

A- Easy
B- Fast
C- Practical for a college student
D- Cheap
HEALTHY OPTIONAL!

Members don't see this ad :)
HEALTHY OPTIONAL!
Intentionally left out. Sometimes we wanna have the study group over for homemade mozzarella sticks. I'm still a human dammit

No offense, but that recipe is blasphemous.
Don't knock it til you try it. I felt the same way

I'd agree with Banana on this one. Seems like an appropriate quick and dirty sauce recipe to throw on top of your noodles to make it more interesting. Maybe not exactly pad thai, but it'll be like instant pad thai yknow? (Also tamarind is the bomb. My favorite dish of all time is a filipino pork belly tamarind soup dish)

Y'all wanna know what's delicious? Mango avocado salsa (with some raw red onions, lime juice and some cilantro). Perfect for eating with chips, or on top of some black bean quinoa patties or seared salmon, and a bed of spring greens.

Healthy Chicken Nuggets (Yeah you read that right baby)

What you need:

-Value pack of skinless chicken tender meat

-Bottle of low sodium buffalo hot sauce (or Korean gochujang hot sauce)

-Small container of Panko crumbs

-2-3 whole eggs (optional)

How to whip em up:

1- preheat oven to 400 or so

2- chop up the chicken into equal sized cubes (you can use kitchen scissors to save time)

3- toss the raw meat chunks in sauce of your choice

4- use tongs and toss the sauced up chunks in the panko till they're nice and coated

5- lay out the nuggets on a baking sheet or on top of a drying rack and place in the oven for about 20 minutes or until cooked (white on the inside when split open, juices run clear) using a drying rack will help keep them crispy on the bottom.

6- dip them in anything or eat them as is.

7- for those who don't like hot sauce, dip the raw chicken in the egg and then toss in panko to coat. Cooking times are the same.

I really hate refrigerated food but seeing as I shall be a broke medical student, I'm trying to change that so what are some recipes for foods that taste better the next day or after refrigeration?

I really hate refrigerated food but seeing as I shall be a broke medical student, I'm trying to change that so what are some recipes for foods that taste better the next day or after refrigeration?
Pretty much all asian food. Avoid breaded stuff coz the breading will get soggy (though I guess you can just refry them if needed).

Panda Express style sweet and sour sauce anyone? Obviously scale it to the amount of sauce you think you'll need, but it's better to make more than less. It's so cheap to make.

2 cups pineapple juice
2/3 cup water
6 Tbsp corn starch
3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
5 Tbsp vinegar (I use cane vinegar - I would use any white vinegar really and just add it little by little to get it to the flavor you want)
1/2 cup brown sugar (add more if you want it to be more unhealthy haha)

Combine all in a sauce pan, cook over medium heat until it's your desired consistency

Great to just go with sauted veggies/choice of meat and rice. Also y'all should try out lentil balls (lentils that are mashed, seasoned, shaped and baked). It goes great with this sauce and it's so meat like in it's texture.

• Angry
I would eat bread and cheese.

Maybe it's because I'm Turkish.

Reactions: 1 users
My bean recipe above holds up incredibly well the day after. I honestly think stewing in the seasoning overnight in the fridge makes it better when I reheat it.

Noodles and Rice can be good as long as you prep them properly.

Fish is a no-go, but chicken and beef as well as tofu and bean products will keep well.

If you dislike refirgerated food, i would suggest investing in a $30 slow-cooker (one of the tiny ones)

You can pre-assemble bags of food and refrigerate them raw for a few days or freeze them, plop them in the slow-cooker in the morning and set it to low. You'll have a hot meal ready when you get home for dinner.

My bean recipe above holds up incredibly well the day after. I honestly think stewing in the seasoning overnight in the fridge makes it better when I reheat it.
There's a joke about refried beans in there somewhere

Mexican Migas (not to be confused with Iberian Migas). This recipe is super versatile and you can basically throw in whatever you want. Think of it like a Mexican breakfast stir fry. YUM.

• Eggs, beaten (I use ~2-3 per person)
  • Corn tortillas Chopped into strips (you can do a 2x2 cut for "squares" or a 2x1 cut for strips, about 5 tortillas per person)
  • Cheese
  • ~2 tbsp Oil
  • Onion, chopped (optional)
  • Serrano peppers (optional)
  • Jalapeno peppers (optional)
  • (Almost) literally any other vegetable (optional)
  1. Get that big saucepan nice and hot with a little bit of oil in there.
  2. Saute vegetables
  3. Remove vegetables (or don't, nbd)
  4. Add tortilla pieces
  5. Cook/toss until they start to get just a little crispy
  6. Dump your eggs into the pan
  7. Re-add vegetables
  8. Scramble all that crap together
  9. Remove from pan
  10. Apply cheese directly to the forehead
Goes great with salsa or ketchup

Thanks for this! I've been trying to find ways to spice up eating eggs in the morning and I love this!

Thanks for this! I've been trying to find ways to spice up eating eggs in the morning and I love this!
You're very welcome! It's pretty pants-on-head easy. You basically just cook the tortillas and throw some eggs on them and scramble.

One thing I've started doing with that one is sauteing some onions first (as I mentioned in the recipe). While they're cooking, I'll toss the tortillas in the oven at like 200 or so just to get some of the crispy a head start, plus you don't end up having to use more oil just to cook the tortillas.

I have one! (bringing it over from the fitness thread)

Asian-style lettuce wraps

Sauce:
a mix of asian sesame soy dressing (idk the exact name, its a lite dressing from Ken's) and low sodium soy sauce, to taste

The filling:
Chicken, diced and sautéed
lots of onions (chopped or however you like them), also sautéed
mushrooms/peppers (if you want)
Chopped peanuts
(optional, depending on macros) corn
(optional, depending on macros) black beans

Wrap:
Romaine lettuce leaves.

Usually I make double what I want to eat, and eat lettuce wraps for dinner. Then, I throw the leftovers on top of a bed of lettuce to eat as a salad for the next day! I never get tired of eating this. Will probably eat it so much next year. Best part is, the salad tastes really good cold, so good for meal prep lunches! (I hate the taste of microwaved chicken)

I have one! (bringing it over from the fitness thread)

Asian-style lettuce wraps

Sauce:
a mix of asian sesame soy dressing (idk the exact name, its a lite dressing from Ken's) and low sodium soy sauce, to taste

The filling:
Chicken, diced and sautéed
lots of onions (chopped or however you like them), also sautéed
mushrooms/peppers (if you want)
Chopped peanuts
(optional, depending on macros) corn
(optional, depending on macros) black beans

Wrap:
Romaine lettuce leaves.

Usually I make double what I want to eat, and eat lettuce wraps for dinner. Then, I throw the leftovers on top of a bed of lettuce to eat as a salad for the next day! I never get tired of eating this. Will probably eat it so much next year. Best part is, the salad tastes really good cold, so good for meal prep lunches! (I hate the taste of microwaved chicken)

This sounds great-- may try it! Thanks!

@Dr.Kat If you have/ can get a slow cooker:

1 can of beans (your choice)
1 can of corn (get the water out first)
4 chicken breasts
Jar of low sodium salsa or diced tomatoes
Low fat cream cheese

Throw all of it in except for the cream cheese, set it to low for 8 hours. Go about your day as usual.

At dinner time, drop the cream cheese on top to melt.

Delicious as heck and easy. It's pretty much just ready for you when you get back from class.
Thank you banana - I believe I am being gifted a slow cooker by a friend as a going-away gift so I appreciate it! I've never used a slow-cooker in my life. I must say, I am weary it will burn my house down. But, I will def try this...sounds yummyyyyyy

I've got another tofu recipe actually and this one is super simple and makes a great snack if you get the munchies (looking at you @Dagrimsta1 ).

• 1 Brick Extra firm tofu
  • 1.5 Cups Soy Sauce
  • 1 tsp (or more, to taste) Chinese Five Spice
Press tofu:
  1. Wrap tofu in towel
  2. Place on cutting board
  3. Place cookie sheet/pizza pan on top with a couple paper towels
  4. Grab your old bio book and stick that on top of paper towels
  5. Wait ~30 mins for all the water to be pressed out
Now the fun part:
  1. Pour soy sauce in tupperware container
  2. Stir in five spice
  3. Add pressed tofu and flip every few minutes
  4. Allow it to marinate for ~30 mins (more or less for more or less salty)
  5. Remove from marinade
  6. Cube tofu (I like ~2cm x 2cm x 2cm cubes)
Looking forward to my next session :highfive:

Healthy Chicken Nuggets (Yeah you read that right baby)

What you need:

-Value pack of skinless chicken tender meat

-Bottle of low sodium buffalo hot sauce (or Korean gochujang hot sauce)

-Small container of Panko crumbs

-2-3 whole eggs (optional)

How to whip em up:

1- preheat oven to 400 or so

2- chop up the chicken into equal sized cubes (you can use kitchen scissors to save time)

3- toss the raw meat chunks in sauce of your choice

4- use tongs and toss the sauced up chunks in the panko till they're nice and coated

5- lay out the nuggets on a baking sheet or on top of a drying rack and place in the oven for about 20 minutes or until cooked (white on the inside when split open, juices run clear) using a drying rack will help keep them crispy on the bottom.

6- dip them in anything or eat them as is.

7- for those who don't like hot sauce, dip the raw chicken in the egg and then toss in panko to coat. Cooking times are the same.
yum this one sounds bomb

I would eat bread and cheese.

Maybe it's because I'm Turkish.
LOLLLL same. part arab over here and it's always my go-to when I'm hungry and need a quick snack

Thank you banana - I believe I am being gifted a slow cooker by a friend as a going-away gift so I appreciate it! I've never used a slow-cooker in my life. I must say, I am weary it will burn my house down. But, I will def try this...sounds yummyyyyyy
As long as you keep the cooker on the counter away from other applicances and objects, it should be perfectly safe. The low setting isn't hot enough to start a fire.

TBH the best part of the slow cooker is coming home to a hot meal. (And the fact it's impossible to overcook meat in a slow cooker set to low, it gets more tender the longer you cook it!)

As long as you keep the cooker on the counter away from other applicances and objects, it should be perfectly safe. The low setting isn't hot enough to start a fire.

TBH the best part of the slow cooker is coming home to a hot meal. (And the fact it's impossible to overcook meat in a slow cooker set to low, it gets more tender the longer you cook it!)
thanks for the tips!

I like the idea of a slow cooker, but am not into the everything-turns-to-mush texture and watery taste...

thanks for the tips!
No problem!

They also sell disposable slow cooker bags made of heat resistant plastic.

You can use them and avoid having to clean the actual pot every day

I like the idea of a slow cooker, but am not into the everything-turns-to-mush texture and watery taste...
One of my go to slow cooker recipes. Toss a pork loin in with a can of rootbeer (or coke). Cook on low all day. Remove the meat and shred it up to use for several meals (it freezes well).
Add BBQ sauce to make pulled pork sandwiches.
Add Mexican seasoning and fry to make carnitas (for tacos, burritos etc).
Add Asian seasoning and use in a stir fry or with rice or noodles.
You can do pretty much anything with that shredded pork.

Rosemary Chicken is super easy!

Ingredients:
  • chicken thighs
  • rosemary
  • potatoes
  • optional other vegetables of your choosing (carrots, onion, idk get creative)
  • olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper
  • garlic powder
exact proportions are unimportant. use your best judgement.

Directions
  • chop up your veggies into some nice chunks. put them in a baking pan.
  • put your chicken thighs in the same pan.
  • drizzle some olive oil on all of it. however much looks right. Just don't go so crazy that there's pools of oil everywhere.
  • chop some rosemary leaves and put them in there as well
  • add some salt and pepper and garlic powder
  • mix it all up. If you want crispy chicken skin, rub that olive oil under the skin. (This can all also be done in a mixing bowl and transferred to the pan later if your pan is too small)
  • stick it in the oven at like 375ish for an hour.
  • study/watch tv/workout/???
  • eat, profit.

Do you all buy dry ingredients like legumes and pasta in super bulk? Do you find it to be much cheaper?

Do you all buy dry ingredients like legumes and pasta in super bulk? Do you find it to be much cheaper?
For beans definitely. Pasta it depends. I usually just raid the bulk bins at my local Winco. You have to check the price per unit though, especially at some larger stores like Fred Meyer etc since their bulk bins are often way more expensive than pre-packaged.

One of my go to slow cooker recipes. Toss a pork loin in with a can of rootbeer (or coke). Cook on low all day. Remove the meat and shred it up to use for several meals (it freezes well).
Add BBQ sauce to make pulled pork sandwiches.
Add Mexican seasoning and fry to make carnitas (for tacos, burritos etc).
Add Asian seasoning and use in a stir fry or with rice or noodles.
You can do pretty much anything with that shredded pork.

^^ This also works with chicken thighs. I use boneless/skinless but if you want to go full butcher you do you. Trim fat to your desired leanness (leave a little though, straight chicken (aka chicken breasts) can dry out sometimes)

Also balsamic vinegar and a little orange juice
Or put on top of rough cut veggies to get "roasted" vegetables

There's a way to prevent that. Before cooking meat in the slow cooker, get a pan with butter/oil, heat it until smoking, and then sear the meat on all sides. Get a nice, thick, fat skin, and it won't turn to mush in the slow cooker.

There's a way to prevent that. Before cooking meat in the slow cooker, get a pan with butter/oil, heat it until smoking, and then sear the meat on all sides. Get a nice, thick, fat skin, and it won't turn to mush in the slow cooker.
I don't use a slow cooker, but doesn't pre-cooking the meal kind of defeat the purpose of a slow cooker? I thought the whole point was to just throw everything in it, turn it on, and leave it until you get home.

I don't use a slow cooker, but doesn't pre-cooking the meal kind of defeat the purpose of a slow cooker? I thought the whole point was to just throw everything in it, turn it on, and leave it until you get home.
Just searing. It takes like two minutes. I mean, you're gonna chop the veggies and meat anyway.

1) Go to store
2) Buy Halo Top

Facebook has aggressively been advertising Halo Top to me lately. I guess I'll have to give in and give it a go eventually.

also, meal prepping any pasta dish (healthy mac and cheese, ground turkey breast bolognese, etc.) with banza chickpea pasta or explore asian edamame spaghetti is heaven on earth especially if you're counting macros.