The Republic of Texas XXXVI: You may all go to hell, and I will go to a Texas medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Admissions committees are pretty good at estimating how many offers to make to allow folks to drop to accept a different offer, change their minds, etc. Overfilling has definitely happened at UTHSCSA and I think at one other Texas school in recent years. This year is odd because A&M has cut back their class size by at least 30-50 and might also be overfilled right now, too. This year may be a year with fewer invitations from the WL than usual, but they are trickling in.
Even after June 1, Texans with no acceptances so far and OOS applicants have a chance to get in off a WL.
I am definitely hoping to hear something from the school in June!! Thank you ma'am!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
found a few more

1 WL offer by UTSA 5/19
2 WL offers by UTSW (each student has a prior acceptance so will have to release one of their spots, remember they might stick with the original one)
aid3164058-v4-728px-Raise-Calves-Step-8.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Is it strange that Lubbock's class is still overfilled? Has this happened before? @wysdoc

Literally happens at every single medical school in the country. People withdraw their acceptance all the time. People get national awards, do research for a year, get sick, have babies, get into a "better" schools, etc...

Even people who get into Harvard may choose to turn it down for Yale for some reason (financial, family, etc..)

Back when I applied to medical school it wasn't unheard of for an unnamed texas medical school to overfill by upwards of 50%. As was mentioned, adcom's are typically acutely aware of how many offers they have to make to fill a class on day 1 of med school.

I heard said a certain medical school way overestimated the number of withdrawals one year and ended up having to offer hundreds of thousands in scholarships for people to voluntarily defer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas Roundup 5/23 - It ain't over till it's over edition!
2 WL offers by Texas A&M

Guess they are getting closer to their desired class size and/or enough people dropped their spots to allow these WL offers. I'm calling it "the ain't over till it's over edition" because A&M Dean has said on several occasions that any WL offers this year are highly unlikely.

Most likely not. I've only lived in TX for around 2 years total- so I don't have too many ties, considering my family is moving back to England soon! I don't know I could live in a place with no snow anymore though haha Are you planning on staying in TX? I think I read the place where a doctor does residency is the best determinant of where they will stay and practice.

Also, how was your welcome weekend? Are you liking San Antonio?
Ahhh okay

Yeah I would really like to stay in Texas but I think there's better places in the states that would make me happier. I'll have to see how I get influenced I guess...

Welcome weekend was great. SA is a slow town filled with heat, military, and mexican food. It's very similar to Houston in this sense, but I definitely think I will feel more of a suburban feeling here. I like living in close quarters with people on the streets though. I don't think any city in Texas will have that feeling tbh...

Has anyone who submitted gotten secondary instructions from Lubbock?

I received them quickly from El Paso and TCOM, but nothing from Lubbock. It was my understanding there was no screening at Lubbock and it was an auto-email.

I also haven't received anything from RGV or Dell, but that seems normal since they supposedly screen.

Texas Roundup 5/26
The only news I have seen since my last post is:
1 UTSA admission spot given up, student preferred a new offer from a WL
1 other lucky Lonestar applicant is deciding between Baylor and a new UTSW WL offer, so one of those slots will open up soon

Texas Roundup 5/29
1 WL offer by UT San Antonio; the student will relinquish a spot at UTMB

Y'all who have 2 Texas spots right now and are fixin' to decide - if you make your choice before June 1, you will give another applicant like yourselves a possible chance to take a WL spot at a preferred school.

After June 1, Texas WL offers will only go to out-of-staters or to Texans with no acceptances so far.

Has anyone who submitted gotten secondary instructions from Lubbock?

I received them quickly from El Paso and TCOM, but nothing from Lubbock. It was my understanding there was no screening at Lubbock and it was an auto-email.

I also haven't received anything from RGV or Dell, but that seems normal since they supposedly screen.

Is your primary app 100% complete? I have my committee interview on Wednesday, so my app will be complete once they upload their letter packet. I have heard from El Paso without having my app 100% complete, but nothing from Lubbock yet either.

When I applied last year the secondaries from Texas Tech actually weren't instant like some of the other schools!

Is your primary app 100% complete? I have my committee interview on Wednesday, so my app will be complete once they upload their letter packet. I have heard from El Paso without having my app 100% complete, but nothing from Lubbock yet either.

Yeah, I'm 100% complete.

When I applied last year the secondaries from Texas Tech actually weren't instant like some of the other schools!

This would explain it then. And it's probably for the best. I appreciate being able to space out my secondary writing.

Texas Roundup 5/29
1 WL offer by UT San Antonio; the student will relinquish a spot at UTMB

Y'all who have 2 Texas spots right now and are fixin' to decide - if you make your choice before June 1, you will give another applicant like yourselves a possible chance to take a WL spot at a preferred school.

After June 1, Texas WL offers will only go to out-of-staters or to Texans with no acceptances so far.

Hi guys! To those that currently have 2 spots at Texas schools, if you could please give up your spot after June 1st people in the same position as I who don't have any acceptance and just waitlists would really really appreciate it!

Hi guys! To those that currently have 2 spots at Texas schools, if you could please give up your spot after June 1st people in the same position as I who don't have any acceptance and just waitlists would really really appreciate it!
Point taken, @inthemaking1 ;) Good luck to all y'all between now and orientation week, it ain't over yet!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Texas Roundup 5/31
1 WL offer from Dell to a student with a UTMB match - deciding
1 UTSW WL spot might be up for grabs as the student was not lured away from a current Baylor spot
Unknown-4.jpg

Just got into UTMB and I had decided everything for UTHSA. Still 95% going to go to UTHSA but now I have to think about it...thoughts?

Just got into UTMB and I had decided everything for UTHSA. Still 95% going to go to UTHSA but now I have to think about it...thoughts?
I am not biased as I will be attending McGovern this year but I interviewed both at UTMB and UTHSA. Personally, I didn't like the feel at UTMB AT ALL. Nothing against the people but I didn't really feel like I meshed with the student body there, everybody seemed so awkward to me. I also wasn't a particular fan of the campus nor the location tbh. I interviewed early August, it was sooo humid - I hated it. My first interview was UTHSA and I also currently live in SA. I loved the atmosphere at the school and all the students I met were so nice and down to earth - not awkward at all. Plus that new building at UTHSA is AWESOME. Lowkey jealous that you'll hopefully be attending lectures there plus there was so many study areas with great views too. San Antonio is a great location to live because you can live close to the med center and not go broke lol - also, I think you would see a lot more at university hospital then you would over in Galveston (just assuming).

Notice I haven't mentioned academics, I feel like they're both slightly similar in that sense except UTHSA seems more holistic to me. UTMB boasts high GPA (one of the highest avg. GPAs in Texas) and MCAT which I think kind of shows in the student body (awkward peeps) but maybe I'm just an ass^%*}. I am biased to SA as well though because ive lived here for 5 years and I LOVE it. I personally had a hard choice choosing between ranking McGovern and UTHSA..

I hope this slightly helps, I was probably just rambling but im at work! Cheers!

EDIT. @TexasSurgeon Also.. random but the night before I interviewed and on interview day all everybody kept talking about was how close Houston was and how there's so much to do in Houston. I feel like they couldn't even sell the location of Galveston to themselves yet alone the interviewees.. lol

I am not biased as I will be attending McGovern this year but I interviewed both at UTMB and UTHSA. Personally, I didn't like the feel at UTMB AT ALL. Nothing against the people but I didn't really feel like I meshed with the student body there, everybody seemed so awkward to me. I also wasn't a particular fan of the campus nor the location tbh. I interviewed early August, it was sooo humid - I hated it. My first interview was UTHSA and I also currently live in SA. I loved the atmosphere at the school and all the students I met were so nice and down to earth - not awkward at all. Plus that new building at UTHSA is AWESOME. Lowkey jealous that you'll hopefully be attending lectures there plus there was so many study areas with great views too. San Antonio is a great location to live because you can live close to the med center and not go broke lol - also, I think you would see a lot more at university hospital then you would over in Galveston (just assuming).

Notice I haven't mentioned academics, I feel like they're both slightly similar in that sense except UTHSA seems more holistic to me. UTMB boasts high GPA (one of the highest avg. GPAs in Texas) and MCAT which I think kind of shows in the student body (awkward peeps) but maybe I'm just an ass^%*}. I am biased to SA as well though because ive lived here for 5 years and I LOVE it. I personally had a hard choice choosing between ranking McGovern and UTHSA..

I hope this slightly helps, I was probably just rambling but im at work! Cheers!
I felt very similar with UTMB when I interviewed. The campus was dead, but I didn't like the atmosphere much either and the few students I met didn't feel as chill to me as it did at UTHSA. I'm originally from Houston, so it is a little closer but I'm still just not sure 100% now. I think the biggest advantage is opportunity to rotate in Houston's hospitals, right?

Side note- how'd you choose UTH over UTHSA?

I felt very similar with UTMB when I interviewed. The campus was dead, but I didn't like the atmosphere much either and the few students I met didn't feel as chill to me as it did at UTHSA. I'm originally from Houston, so it is a little closer but I'm still just not sure 100% now. I think the biggest advantage is opportunity to rotate in Houston's hospitals, right?

Side note- how'd you choose UTH over UTHSA?
I felt like UTH and UTHSA both had very similar feels to me - student body was awesome and the few faculty I met were equally awesome ( plus I had a great interviews with faculty that was a definite + ). My decision came down to comfort - though I felt like I would have been more comfortable staying in SA as I live 5-10 min from med center + have my apartment already I decided that the Texas Medical Center had better opportunities for me. In the regard that they have a lot of residencies there (subspecialties and all) + renowned faculty + many research opportunities if I choose to pursue a difficult specialty. Again it wasn't an easy decision but I decided to leave my comfort zone and I still think San Antonio has plenty of that opportunity I was speaking about. Yeah you rotate in Houston if you go to UTMB but personally I wouldn't be a fan of that. I say you go where you felt like you meshed best, plus we have amazing breakfast tacos ;)

Congrats! I think this choice comes down to your location preference and how you feel about their respective curricula and schedules. It's a very personal choice.

It is a personal choice. Both excellent schools. Go to whichever you think fits you best.

I have a feeling this might be an active day on Texas threads! I will update as I see it.
I feel obliged to change the photo to a bucking bull..
ty-murray-240.jpg

1 WL offer by UTMB to a student with a spot at UTSA
1 WL offer by TCOM to someone happy to get their first acceptance :woot:
1 WL offer by UTSW turned down by an out-of-state student choosing the home state school.

Adding:
1 WL offer by UTSW greeted happily (we will see what match school spot gets relinquished ...)

Adding:
1 WL offer by UTSW greeted ecstatically by an OOS student for whom it is the first acceptance.

Last edited:
Both schools are equivalent in terms of ranking and NIH funding. This really comes down to personal preference.

aa19d6e6a59c77b85991b529b3867548.jpg

You may have a nervous feeling in the pit of your stomach, but this rodeo still isn't over!

1 WL offer by UTSW on 6/1
1 WL offer from UT Houston on 6/2, student will take it and is dropping a seat at UIWSOM (new DO school in TX)

I expect some action soon from a few Texas schools due to WL offers made in the past week that will result in a few students jumping to the new offer.

Goodluck guys. Hang in there, its almost over!

Could any of you fine folks steer (pun for wysdoc) me in the right direction on something?
In the 300 character area for all the experiences, should I be writing concise descriptions, or what I learned from them?

Could any of you fine folks steer (pun for wysdoc) me in the right direction on something?
In the 300 character area for all the experiences, should I be writing concise descriptions, or what I learned from them?
Just concise details about what you did for that experience.

300 characters is not a lot.

Agreed. I kept waiting for a section to start writing about stuff, but it never came. No contact people required, no room to talk about what I learned... nada.
Yeah just a space in case the reader might need a later clarification if the title is vague.

Many of it is self-explanatory though; I remember writing one short sentence for most of my activities.

"Under the boardwalk, out of the sun.
Under the boardwalk, we'll be having some fun"
my apologies the The Drifters

Yeah, you're probably too young to know that song but the lyrics are to celebrate the applicants joining UTMB's class

2 WL offers by UTMB (6/1 and 6/5)
One of these future beachy students will give up a spot at Texas Tech

Would it be strange to write my unique experiences essay on how being adopted has affected my life?

Thanks. This is the only part of my app that is holding me back from submitting which is sad
If you've already written your PS and filled out the rest of your app then you'll be ok. Just finish this last small part and submit. It's still fairly early.

If you've already written your PS and filled out the rest of your app then you'll be ok. Just finish this last small part and submit. It's still fairly early.
I plan on submitting at the end of the week. Do you think it would be better to leave that essay blank? or is that looked down upon?

I plan on submitting at the end of the week. Do you think it would be better to leave that essay blank? or is that looked down upon?
Never leave any optional essay blank...ever lol!!!

You can PM me if you need help with it.

Texas news:
1 WL offer by Texas Tech (Lubbock) to an OOS student.
1 WL offer by Baylor

Any news, 2016-2017 application cycle Texans? Share it on here or on the school specific thread and I will round up the results

Is it pointless to submit to TMDSAS in September?

That would be super late - can you submit by August?

Processing by TMDSAS takes 2-4 weeks after submission. They will transmit the application to schools when complete and fee paid, but schools might wait to read it until all your letters, scores, etc. are in as well.

By submitting it this late you will miss out on some interview opportunities even if your stats are good, as some schools dislike procrastinators...

Last edited:

According to TMDSAS, 15% of applications are submitted in September, but September applicants only get 5% of the interviews. For August the numbers are 20% and 18%, respectively. As you can see, September applicants are a huge disadvantage relative to August applicants. I would do everything possible to submit in August. If not possible, I would sit out a year unless you have a stellar app.

The only thing I'm lacking is my MCAT score.

I've asked this question before and got mixed answers. Would it make a significant difference if I submitted without my MCAT and sent in my scores as soon as they were released?

I know my app can't be reviewed until all materials are in.

I've been having some personal issues and had to push my MCAT back from mid-July to the end of August.

I was looking at OOS schools and was surprised that some deadlines aren't until December. Why Texas gotta be so different! Lol.

I've asked this question before and got mixed answers. Would it make a significant difference if I submitted without my MCAT and sent in my scores as soon as they were released?

I've been having some personal issues and had to push my MCAT back from mid-July to the end of August.

I was looking at OOS schools and was surprised that some deadlines aren't until December. Why Texas gotta be so different! Lol.
What other answers were you given?

End of August test date means end of September score release.

Too late for TMDSAS. Somewhat late for AMCAS. Gap year is recommended.

In my mind, the late August MCAT is a deal breaker for TMDSAS. Take a year off and apply on May 1 next year. The stats I posted are straight off the TMDSAS website. You're stacking the deck against yourself by applying in late September.

Sorry if this question has been asked, but for an a continuing activity do you put the expected end date in its nonplanned activity category (e.g., employment, leadership, etc.) AND in the planned section? I understand everything we do from now until beginning med school should go in this category, but I wasn't sure what to put as the end date in the nonplanned category. Can't seem to find an answer to this

I'm from California, applied to Texas. Plz accept me, I love Texas.

Reactions: 4 users
Back to our topic of applicants for the 2016-2017 application season:
I get the feeling we might be done here, buckaroos. Nobody has posted any news about getting off the WL at Texas schools since June 8. Anyone have news?
images-11.jpeg

Two more schools have announced their incoming Class of 2021 and so no more Waitlist movement will happen there. I commented on the individual school threads 2016-2017 also.
1. Dell Med (Austin TX)
2. Texas Tech Paul Foster School of Medicine (El Paso)

Still as quiet as a ghost town on Texas school threads. UTSA starts orientation activities 7/21. UTMB has one of the latest orientations starting in mid August. Good luck to all y'all still on wait lists and please chime in if you have any news!
Unknown-5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.