The Osler Institute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osler Staff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Osler Institute is a nonprofit medical education organization that develops review courses to help doctors prepare for their certification exams in approximately twenty specialties. For a listing of these specialties go to The Osler Institute home page at http://www.osler.org . Click on the specialty to find information concerning the review course, faculty, audio CD and home study materials. The Osler Institute will participate in the raffle by donating one electronic version of any home study material of the member's choice for 10 members.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the Osler notes typically differ much from the actual live classes? I have briefly looked at a friend's copy of the AP pathology notes. The GI pathology audio section kept referring to images shown to the audience that was not included in the note set. I am very interested in the note set. However, I am concerned that studying for pathology without the actual images included may not be as useful.

You are correct that not all images are included in the notes because permission was not granted to include them. This problem arises the most in Pathology and Cytology courses because they rely on images the most.

Do you plan on having any course on osteopathic manipulation?

There are no current plans for an Osteopathic Manipulation course.

Do the osler audio lectures for neurology vary each year---ie, if I purchased lectures as a PGY1 would the material be irrelevant by the time I actually take the boards?

Thanks.

Do the osler audio lectures for neurology vary each year---ie, if I purchased lectures as a PGY1 would the material be irrelevant by the time I actually take the boards?

Thanks.

Because the Board Exams test standard of care as opposed to cutting edge practice, things do not change as rapidly. Although there is likely to be some changes in the material on the current Neurology discs between now and when you would take your exam, they are not likely to be many. So the current Neurology discs would still be helpful to you in preparing for your future boards. Also, you may want to consider the possibility that the current program could be helpful in your current studies.

thanks for participating

Do you have plans to include Internal Medicine at some point in the future?

You mentioned that pathology and cytology are affected most by not being able to include images in the notes. Is this an issue for Pediatrics too?

Do you have plans to include Internal Medicine at some point in the future?

You mentioned that pathology and cytology are affected most by not being able to include images in the notes. Is this an issue for Pediatrics too?

There are no current plans to add Internal Medicine to the list of specialties that we do review courses for.

Although the image issue can occur in Pediatrics, the issues are different. Therefore, I would say that you are unlikely to encounter a problem with missing images in Pediatrics. That's not to say you won't, just unlikely.

Re: images: Is there also an issue with derm images in family med review?

It is unlikely that you will encounter any missing images in the Family Medicine CD set on dermatology.

would the pediatrics course materials be useful during a M3 clerkship or is this material more geared towards post-graduate training?

thanks.

The Pediatric course materials are geared as a review for residents preparing to take their board examination. Therefore you would run the risk of being exposed to material in greater detail than that of your clerkship.

Hi, does the general neurology version contain review sections on stroke or do you have to purchase the vascular neurology portion in order to have the stroke topics? Thanks

I'm interested in learning how similar/different your FP board review live course is from that offered by the AAFP? Thank you

I'm interested in learning how similar/different your FP board review live course is from that offered by the AAFP? Thank you

The courses are similar. I will let you decide what the differences are by providing you with a list of the topics covered in our course so you can compare it to the AAFP course. Also you can obtain AMA PRA Category 1 Credits and AAFP Prescribed Credits for attending our course. Our course topics are:

Mouth & Esophagus, Asthma & Anaphylaxis, Pain Management, GERD & Dyspepsia, Bronchiolitis & RSV, Diabetes Mellitus, Dyspepsia & Peptic Ulcers, Pulmonary Assessment, Hypertension, H. Pylori & Gastroparesis Cancer, Cystic Fibrosis, Doctor Patient Interaction, Small Bowel Disorders, Delirium, Acid Base & Electrolytes, Colitis & Colonic Disease, Demensia, Acute Renal Failure, Autism, ADD & ODD, Management of Behavioral Problems, Menstrual Disorders & Menopause, Psych Disorders before Adulthood, Geriatric Pharmacology U Drug Interactions, Primary Care Othopedics, Liver Disease & Cirrhosis, Malnutrition in the Elderly, Emphysema & COPD, Pancreatitis & Cancer, Vitamins & Minerals, Restrictive Lung Disease, Acute Abdomen, Elder Abuse & Neglect, White Cell & Bleeding Disorders, Pediatric Exanthems, Urinary Incontinence in Adults, Anticoagulation Therapy, Skin Diseases, Sexuality & Aging, Cancer Detection, Congestive Heart Failure, Evidence Based Medicine, Palliative & End of Life Care, Fibromyaligia, Anemia RX & DX, PreventativeMedicine, Alternative Medicine, Dyslipidemia, Maintenance of Certification, Rheumatic Syndromes, Test Taking Skills, Statistics & Epidemiology, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Health Maintenance Exams, Thyroid, Dizzyness & Syncope,Seizures & Epilepsy, Tia & Stroke, Adolescent Growth, Growth Hormone, Growth Disorders, Adolescent Development, Parathyroid, Calcium & Vitamin D Disorders, Parkinson's Disease, Adolescent Gynecology, Adrenal Disorders, Muscle & Nerve Diseases, Adolescent Substance Abuse, Headaches, Gynecologic Infections, Peripheral Vascular Disease, Gonadal Disorders, Contraception, Acute Coronary Syndrome, Psychopharmacology, Congenital Heart Disease, Myocardial Infraction, Substance Abuse, Valvular Heart Disease, Trauma Assessment, Ethics & Law, Electrocardiograms, Lower Back Problems, Cardiac Arrythmias, Pelvic Pain Examinations, Sports Medicine, Psychiatric Disorders, Prenatal, Common Eye Problem, Infertility Options, Other OB Topics, Family & Cultural Issues, Sexual Assault, Osteoporosis, Abnormal Vaginal Bleeding, Breast Disease and Urinary Tract Infections.

Please feel free to visit our web site or contact us if you have more specific questions or would like additional information.

Status
Not open for further replies.