The only ones wearing a long white coat should be doctors (& MAYBE pharmacists)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you agree with this statement? [which may or may not be a statement I agree with).
Totally depends. Is it before or after Labor Day?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Please elaborate as to why you feel a doctorate in nursing practice a "joke". Thanks in advanced and I'm very interested to read your reply.

Because it's a supposed "Doctorate" that provides very little actual additional clinical knowledge, clinical skill or research skill. But for $9.95, you too can have the title "Doctor".

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_8618.JPG
Answer this question, why does DNP exist in the first place? So that NPs can call themselves doctor, that is shameful in and of itself. The DNP curriculum is a joke that pales in comparison to the MD curriculum when it comes to academic rigor. If you took a nursing school class and put them all in med school, maybe 2%-4% would get past first year.

I'm pretty sure most med students would agree the short white coat is awful. This thread is about the long white coat and how MDs are the only people who should walk around and interact with patients wearing them.

You don't like the benefit of larger pockets to hold things in?

I remember the other day, I put on my white coat and actually looked in the mirror. For context - it is never really worn. The coat just stays in a locker between required activities.

I looked in the mirror and thought "wow, this looks pretty silly."

Then I thought to myself, "this is literally the job you want." I laughed at my stupidity and jumbled off to my SP session.

Most doctors listen to nurses, good nurse are respected, but nurses seem to want their butts kissed constantly just for doing their jobs. That 70-80k for a bachelors degree should be reward enough.

I dunno where you work but our nurses make over 100k

Please elaborate as to why you feel a doctorate in nursing practice a "joke". Thanks in advanced and I'm very interested to read your reply.

Because it can be obtained online in less than 2 years for less than a single year of medical school? And because the holders of the degree do not acquire an education in clinical "advanced practice nursing" worthy of a doctorate in the discipline. Much of their education is focused on nonclinical administrative and academic fluff that has little to do with being a competent clinician. Several friends have complained to me that they were seriously disappointed in the curriculae of their NP and DNP programs, that they spent much more time on poster projects, literature reviews, creation of care models, and other make-work dissociated from bedside patient care. They had anticipated that they were actually going to learn a more in depth anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, micro, etc. In short, they had expected it would be much more like medical school and less like preparation to be a hospital administrator.

Reactions: 3 users
just call ourselves physicians and surgeons. the end

Reactions: 1 users

Agreed. It's as if some people have forgotten the word "physician" existed. You don't happen to go to Columbia do you? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha the vocabulary has becomes so convoluted. I can guarantee that no layperson cares to know the difference between physician vs provider vs practitioner. In the end, it'll always be the training and expertise that sets people apart-- not the nameplate, not the coat.

Yeah, but what happens when the PAs start calling themselves "Physician Associates", yes they are actually pushing for that.

as long as they say associate, that's fine.

Agreed. It's as if some people have forgotten the word "physician" existed. You don't happen to go to Columbia do you? lol

Nope!

a little off topic, but would you still consider a surgeon to be a physician, or is surgeon a separate title that replaces physician in practice?

I dunno where you work but our nurses make over 100k

Where is this??? I have family members who are nurses (granted in one of the lowest paying states for nursing) and are lucky if they make $50k per year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you agree with this statement? [which may or may not be a statement I agree with).
For someone with grammatical pointers as your signature you sure did butcher the punctuation of that sentence.

a little off topic, but would you still consider a surgeon to be a physician, or is surgeon a separate title that replaces physician in practice?

I consider a surgeon to be a physician. All medical doctors are physicians I suppose. But not all physicians are surgeons