The Old Boy's Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is an issue that we as a gender do deal with occasionally and for the most part has been settling down, but this year it has been more so evident for me. I am in a fellowship that accepts two fellows yearly. I am paired this year with an older male fellow who is about 15 years older than me. Though for the most part I do love my fellowship, I cannot help but notice the blatant "schmoozing" and joviality between the the male attendings and the other fellow. I don't think the other fellow is receiving any preferential treatment, but I do notice other physicians are more drawn to him. I must also add that I am of a minority ethnicity in the area that I work, so not sure if that plays into it as well. But I must say, I am getting tired of the conversations of bonding over sports, man oriented movies, and their high school age children. I also notice that some male physicians do teach him more and are more willing to work with him as well. He is a good fellow, but behind everyone's back he does complain about work and all those attendings that are nice to him. I feel like I constantly have to give my 150% while he does his 90%, just to compensate for me being me. Have others had similar experiences? :confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is an issue that we as a gender do deal with occasionally and for the most part has been settling down, but this year it has been more so evident for me. I am in a fellowship that accepts two fellows yearly. I am paired this year with an older male fellow who is about 15 years older than me. Though for the most part I do love my fellowship, I cannot help but notice the blatant "schmoozing" and joviality between the the male attendings and the other fellow. I don't think the other fellow is receiving any preferential treatment, but I do notice other physicians are more drawn to him. I must also add that I am of a minority ethnicity in the area that I work, so not sure if that plays into it as well. But I must say, I am getting tired of the conversations of bonding over sports, man oriented movies, and their high school age children. I also notice that some male physicians do teach him more and are more willing to work with him as well. He is a good fellow, but behind everyone's back he does complain about work and all those attendings that are nice to him. I feel like I constantly have to give my 150% while he does his 90%, just to compensate for me being me. Have others had similar experiences? :confused::confused:

This other fellow has things in common to talk to his colleagues about and instead of blaming the lack of things in common you may or may not have, you automatically assume it is about gender and the "old boys club?" I think it is time to wake up and stop pulling the gender card.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like more of a matter of personalities not meshing as well rather than any specific discrimination, particularly since you say the other guy isn't getting preferential treatment (plus they hired you, if they were really biased they wouldn't have accepted you). I tend to get along with certain residents more than others and hang out with them socially but not with others. Since more of them are women with whom I share common interests does that mean I am committing reverse gender discrimination? Or does the fact that I don't preferentially assign cases or provide criticism mean that sometimes getting along better with someone doesn't equal discrimination.

You honestly think that this is an old boys club problem?

This is your problem.

Uhh, I'm leaving.