***The Official WesternU Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Luck everyone! Application time always is hard and waiting to hear back is even harder. Stay positive and remember to enjoy your last year before school starts. Your life trajectory will look very different this time next year.

Reactions: 3 users
I submitted 2 weeks ago and the status of my Application Checklist when I log into their secondary website is still "Awaiting" for all four requirements. Anyone else have the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted 2 weeks ago and the status of my Application Checklist when I log into their secondary website is still "Awaiting" for all four requirements. Anyone else have the same?
Mine's still like that as well

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I am interested in possibly switching from the Western DO to the dental program. I had a question about the pre reqs and was wondering if you could clarify.

The school where I was planning to take my prereqs says its courses are transferrable to Western.
FAQs » Southern California University Health Sciences
Accelerated science courses offered by SCU have been accepted for transfer credit by prestigious colleges and universities for years. The decision to accept coursework rests on the receiving institution. Please check with the institution to which you hope to transfer credit to verify their transfer policy. Institutions that have accepted SCU’s accelerated science course credits include, but not limited to:
Western University of Health Sciences (Pharmacy, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, Nursing)​

However, on the requirements for Western, it specifies the courses:
Requirements - Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)
General Biology with lab – may not be an introductory course

• May include courses such as biology, zoology, anatomy, physiology, embryology, endocrinology, immunology, cell biology, molecular biology, histology, etc.
Organic Chemistry with lab– may not be an introductory course

General Physics with lab – may not be an introductory course

General or Inorganic Chemistry with lab – may not be an introductory course​

My question is are the courses at the above school considered introductory? If so, which additional courses are needed to be accepted by the dental school? Thank you for your help.

Hi,

I am interested in possibly switching from the Western DO to the dental program. I had a question about the pre reqs and was wondering if you could clarify.

The school where I was planning to take my prereqs says its courses are transferrable to Western.
Accelerated science courses offered by SCU have been accepted for transfer credit by prestigious colleges and universities for years. The decision to accept coursework rests on the receiving institution. Please check with the institution to which you hope to transfer credit to verify their transfer policy. Institutions that have accepted SCU’s accelerated science course credits include, but not limited to:
Western University of Health Sciences (Pharmacy, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, Nursing)​

• May include courses such as biology, zoology, anatomy, physiology, embryology, endocrinology, immunology, cell biology, molecular biology, histology, etc.

My question is are the courses at the above school considered introductory? If so, which additional courses are needed to be accepted by the dental school? Thank you for your help.

i know that when you apply, there is a database where you can look up your course codes and see if it counts

Hi,

i know that when you apply, there is a database where you can look up your course codes and see if it counts

assist.org!

Hi,

Are you a current DO student? If so, Stick with DO. I know your program is rough. MGA , MSK, IDIT, and neuro are intense courses but you'll have a lot more options once you're done. Also, I know it seems like the dental students are the most relaxed on campus, we party hard, but there are so many projects to do on top of the general sciences as well. You can always do DMD after DO if you still have the desire. You will be so far ahead of the game at that point.

Me too, do you think we should call tomorrow and ask?

Are you a current DO student? If so, Stick with DO. I know your program is rough. MGA , MSK, IDIT, and neuro are intense courses but you'll have a lot more options once you're done. Also, I know it seems like the dental students are the most relaxed on campus, we party hard, but there are so many projects to do on top of the general sciences as well. You can always do DMD after DO if you still have the desire. You will be so far ahead of the game at that point.

Thanks for your response! After assessing where I am in my path, I think I will be sticking to DO. Also, I am not a current DO student, just a hopeful prospective and sorry to derail this thread so early. Good luck to you all! :)

Has anyone paid the supplemental fee for Western? Or are we supposed to wait until we are emailed..?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If they did not email me saying that they received my application yet, should I still start filling out the secondary?

Oh good thing I asked then! Haha thank you!!

Same here. Any change?

Same here. Any change?

Same with me too. I emailed and asked and they said its because they have not started looking over applications yet. They said wait till end of July or early August for a change.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all,
I have a question about the pre-requisite worksheet. It says on their website that the courses "may not be an introductory course" for the biology, chemistry, and physics requirements, but aren't the courses that you typically take in a sequence for these subjects (such as BIO 110 and BIO 111; CHM 101 and CHM 102, etc.) introductory courses....? Or are "introductory" courses different from these?

Also, for the question "Have you attended a formal post baccalaureate program?", I have a Master's degree, so I would say "no" to this question, right?

Thanks!

Hey all,
I have a question about the pre-requisite worksheet. It says on their website that the courses "may not be an introductory course" for the biology, chemistry, and physics requirements, but aren't the courses that you typically take in a sequence for these subjects (such as BIO 110 and BIO 111; CHM 101 and CHM 102, etc.) introductory courses....? Or are "introductory" courses different from these?

Also, for the question "Have you attended a formal post baccalaureate program?", I have a Master's degree, so I would say "no" to this question, right?

Thanks!

It likely depends on your school... I would call your admissions counselor to clarify.

Hey all,

Thanks!

I called my admissions coordinator because my undergrad science classes also say introductory. She said it is fine if it is the sequence required for science majors. Some schools have intro as being science classes for non science majors and that's why they put that clause. She advised me to upload my syllabus of my courses in the appropriate section of the secondary application.

I called my admissions coordinator because my undergrad science classes also say introductory. She said it is fine if it is the sequence required for science majors. Some schools have intro as being science classes for non science majors and that's why they put that clause. She advised me to upload my syllabus of my courses in the appropriate section of the secondary application.
So......what if we can't get our course syllabus from freshmen year...
For most of my classes, my professors just hand me the syllabus, they don't post stuff on line.

For most of my classes, my professors just hand me the syllabus, they don't post stuff on line.

I would just call and explain the situation, and see what your advisor says. Or maybe just email your professor asking for the syllabus?

I think only if the course is like intro course not typical pre-dental "intro" sciences. For example, Introduction to Organic Chemistry vs General Organic Chemistry if both existed at your school and intro one was like super easier. For some reason, you took that intro class. I don't know if I am making any sense here...lol but hope it does!

^Hey just call your admissions advisor. You don't have to upload a syllabus just because your school is not listed in the list of schools. That's what mine said.

Just checked their portal and my application checklist has been complete as of last week!

Just checked their portal and my application checklist has been complete as of last week!

Me too, i just checked as well and it just says my file is now under review. But still no update on aadsas portal

FYI: I got an email today from Western saying that AP Chemistry does not count for meeting the pre-reqs. I double checked the pre-reqs list on their website and the notes at the bottom of the website do say: "May not be satisfied by CLEP, Dept. Exam, IB credits or credit for experiential learning" (Requirements - Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)).

I called the office and they said they have given waivers in the past for this requirement.

FYI: I got an email today from Western saying that AP Chemistry does not count for meeting the pre-reqs. I double checked the pre-reqs list on their website and the notes at the bottom of the website do say: "May not be satisfied by CLEP, Dept. Exam, IB credits or credit for experiential learning" (Requirements - Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)).

I called the office and they said they have given waivers in the past for this requirement.
I got the same email saying that my AP physics doesn't count and I have to retake one physic class otherwise they won't process my application. Who did you speak to and what did they say?

I got the same email saying that my AP physics doesn't count and I have to retake one physic class otherwise they won't process my application. Who did you speak to and what did they say?
I spoke with Annica who wrote me the email. Her contact info was at the bottom of the email.

I spoke with Annica who wrote me the email. Her contact info was at the bottom of the email.
Thanks, did she waive it? Cuz Gloria who emailed me said specifically AP physics couldn't count.

Thanks, did she waive it? Cuz Gloria who emailed me said specifically AP physics couldn't count.
Don't know yet. I'll post an update when I hear back definitively. She told me to send my information to her and then she would let me know.

Hey I also used AP Chemistry as a prereq. does this mean I won't be able to apply to Western? I submitted my application and supplemental documents last night.

Hey I also used AP Chemistry as a prereq. does this mean I won't be able to apply to Western? I submitted my application and supplemental documents last night.
Definitely a bummer...I just got the email today and my app was processed by them last week. So you will probably get a similar email. Sounds like they may be somewhat flexible on the requirement so you may be able to get it waived. You can check the portal to see your application checklist: Welcome to WesternU's Online Application

Just to double check, even if you have one of their requirements left uncompleted, your application will still be reviewed by them? You'll just have to finish that prerequisite prior to matriculation correct?

Just to double check, even if you have one of their requirements left uncompleted, your application will still be reviewed by them? You'll just have to finish that prerequisite prior to matriculation correct?

I would think so. Did you at least put that course as a planned/in progress course in your aadsas application?

As long as you listed the class that as one plan to take in your AADSAS app, then you should be fine. In my situation, I didn't realize that I didn't meet one of the requirements so they needed additional course information. Here is what I was emailed

"In order to be eligible for Committee review, you must have these courses completed or in progress to be completed by the end of the Spring 2018 term. I will need the following information:
· Institution
· Course name
· Term
· Unit amount

Once I receive the above information, your application will be sent the Admissions Committee for review."

I would think so. Did you at least put that course as a planned/in progress course in your aadsas application?
Thanks I hope so too man. Yup I listed it as in progress/planned on my AADSAS application and I put it down on their prereq sheet but called to let them know ahead of time that the class is currently in progress since I'm taking it now during summer quarter

As long as you listed the class that as one plan to take in your AADSAS app, then you should be fine. In my situation, I didn't realize that I didn't meet one of the requirements so they needed additional course information. Here is what I was emailed

"In order to be eligible for Committee review, you must have these courses completed or in progress to be completed by the end of the Spring 2018 term. I will need the following information:
· Institution
· Course name
· Term
· Unit amount

Once I receive the above information, your application will be sent the Admissions Committee for review."

Oh that makes sense, thank you for that!

Hi all. I am wondering how hard it is to get the admission from Western U? My AA is 23 and TS 22. I have Master's degree in engineering with 3.79 GPA.

Hi all. I am wondering how hard it is to get the admission from Western U? My AA is 23 and TS 22. I have Master's degree in engineering with 3.79 GPA.
Those are definitely above their average, but just note that there's really no such thing as a "safety". I know people who got in with 19s and people who go rejected with 22s, sometimes the devil's in the details

Those are definitely above their average, but just note that there's really no such thing as a "safety". I know people who got in with 19s and people who go rejected with 22s, sometimes the devil's in the details
I second this. People get rejected from all schools, including Western, with very high DAT and GPA scores. On the other hand, people get accepted with lower GPA/DAT as well.

Yes for westernu it's not all about the stats. They look moreso at your volunteerwork, shadowing, and how well rounded of an applicant you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone heard from WesternU by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.