***The Official USC Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same boat. Still waiting on additional information about enrollment and orientation. Received my financial aid information through myusc.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, our courses are always scheduled for us. There isn't anything to enroll in. They'll assign us PBL groups.

Has anyone received any information about course registration or is the curriculum laid out for us as 1st years?
Hi! I'm a current USC dental student and going back through my emails, they sent out this information in the first week of August.
As for registration, our courses are not automatically scheduled, but they are predetermined. You will receive an email that provides directions on how to register along with the classes you have to sign up for. Make sure to do this as soon as you get the email, because there are late fees if you do not register within the deadline. They're pretty good at sending you reminder emails if the whole class has not registered, but the sooner the better!

In case anyone is worried, the first semester really provides a transition into dental school. Our schedule was:
M- PBL & Lab (8-5PM)
T- Lecture (1-2:30PM)
W- Lecture & Lab (10:30-5PM)
R- no class!
F- 8-12PM OR 1-5PM, depending on your PBL group
There were some mandatory orientations and rotations that are scheduled on top of this, but this is the schedule for registered classes.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions! Orientation does not start for another month which is probably why you have not been hearing much from them. Enjoy your summer breaks :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, Freisley!

Indeed, I called today and the woman there said information about orientation and scrubs will be coming out in a couple of weeks (putting us into August).

Hi! I'm a current USC dental student and going back through my emails, they sent out this information in the first week of August.
As for registration, our courses are not automatically scheduled, but they are predetermined. You will receive an email that provides directions on how to register along with the classes you have to sign up for. Make sure to do this as soon as you get the email, because there are late fees if you do not register within the deadline. They're pretty good at sending you reminder emails if the whole class has not registered, but the sooner the better!

In case anyone is worried, the first semester really provides a transition into dental school. Our schedule was:
M- PBL & Lab (8-5PM)
T- Lecture (1-2:30PM)
W- Lecture & Lab (10:30-5PM)
R- no class!
F- 8-12PM OR 1-5PM, depending on your PBL group
There were some mandatory orientations and rotations that are scheduled on top of this, but this is the schedule for registered classes.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions! Orientation does not start for another month which is probably why you have not been hearing much from them. Enjoy your summer breaks :)

Thank you very much for all the great info!!

Does anyone know if USC is P/F yet or do they still use a grading system? I remember at my interview I heard someone mention that USC will be making the transition to P/F, but I don't know when.

Does anyone know if USC is P/F yet or do they still use a grading system? I remember at my interview I heard someone mention that USC will be making the transition to P/F, but I don't know when.
I think they still do grades.

I think they still do grades.

Letter grades (A/B/C/Incomplete) with no rank and you essentially can get Bs for just showing up.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you, very helpful! So there are no plus/minus designations; A+ or A-? If you are hoping to gain entry into one of the specialty programs, would you say that we should strive for only all As? Is it imperative or would Bs here and there suffice.

Thank you, very helpful! So there are no plus/minus designations; A+ or A-? If you are hoping to gain entry into one of the specialty programs, would you say that we should strive for only all As? Is it imperative or would Bs here and there suffice.

No +/-, A's would be ideal because without rank there isn't anyway to really know where you are in relation to other students other than each trimester's Dean's list. The ADAT should become a lot bigger than it is now if you apply so that will be taken into more consideration.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if there are still spots left for the class of 2021?
Deadline for ALL deposits is August 1. So if someone blows their opportunity then maybe. All in all, I wouldn't expect to hear back until after the 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deadline for ALL deposits is August 1. So if someone blows their opportunity then maybe. All in all, I wouldn't expect to hear back until after the 1st.
I thought it was due on July 1st?

Praying for an acceptance!!! ;(

Just go to an email about registering for classes!

I have a question regarding the dress code and alternative daily wear options. Do we get to buy our own scrubs and have some individuality or are we required to wear their branded scrubs? In addition, may we wear casual attire on a daily basis or is this option only viable during the lecture portion of our day? Thank you!

Anyone have any information on scholarships and bursaries for incoming students? Thanks!

I have a question regarding the dress code and alternative daily wear options. Do we get to buy our own scrubs and have some individuality or are we required to wear their branded scrubs? In addition, may we wear casual attire on a daily basis or is this option only viable during the lecture portion of our day? Thank you!

You pay for 7 pairs of Navy embroidered scrubs but you're welcome to buy your own, you will eventually start seeing every color on someone. The bookstore sells some other colors of embroidered ones as well (I think light blue, black, grey, red?) Outside of simlab/clinic you can wear whatever, casual for PBL and lecture but you will find yourself wearing scrubs everyday more often than not especially 3rd trimester onward.

Anyone have any information on scholarships and bursaries for incoming students? Thanks!
You will get notified about scholarships in the fall IIRC.

You pay for 7 pairs of Navy embroidered scrubs but you're welcome to buy your own, you will eventually start seeing every color on someone. The bookstore sells some other colors of embroidered ones as well (I think light blue, black, grey, red?) Outside of simlab/clinic you can wear whatever, casual for PBL and lecture but you will find yourself wearing scrubs everyday more often than not especially 3rd trimester onward.

Great, thanks!

I thought I read in the acceptance package something about having to dress business if you are not in scrubs? But maybe I read that wrong...?

Great, thanks!

I thought I read in the acceptance package something about having to dress business if you are not in scrubs? But maybe I read that wrong...?

I also read business formal wear in the dress code policy so I don't think you read it wrong. On that note, does anyone know the dress code for orientation? (Not much info has been emailed out yet, mostly only about registration, laptop specs, and the white coat ceremony.) My friend, who's currently a D1, said we don't get our scrubs until "really late."

Great, thanks!
I also read business formal wear in the dress code policy so I don't think you read it wrong. On that note, does anyone know the dress code for orientation? (Not much info has been emailed out yet, mostly only about registration, laptop specs, and the white coat ceremony.) My friend, who's currently a D1, said we don't get our scrubs until "really late."

The only students wearing business clothes are the Ortho residents.

Orientation is supposed to be business casual (and undergrad/college t-shirts on the first day) but it's pretty hot right now and people usually come in shorts and t-shirts for much of orientation...I think they send an email or it says somewhere in the packet.

Hi, I'm from the 2022 cycle. So if I get an acceptance in December or January, I won't know if I get a scholarship until FALL? They don't offer scholarships at the same time as the acceptance?

The only students wearing business clothes are the Ortho residents.

Orientation is supposed to be business casual (and undergrad/college t-shirts on the first day) but it's pretty hot right now and people usually come in shorts and t-shirts for much of orientation...I think they send an email or it says somewhere in the packet.

Do the scrubs fit loose or fitted? I'm thinking of XS or S and if I'm gonna be wearing them for a while I wanna make a good decision lollll

Do the scrubs fit loose or fitted? I'm thinking of XS or S and if I'm gonna be wearing them for a while I wanna make a good decision lollll

I'm pretty sure we all already chose scrub sizes. It was one of the things we filled out and turned in on our interview day.

I saw somewhere to expect a scrub email so I was assuming we got another chance lol

That would be nice :) I'd like to get bigger scrubs if I'm in them most the week. Gotta be comfy

Hi, I'm from the 2022 cycle. So if I get an acceptance in December or January, I won't know if I get a scholarship until FALL? They don't offer scholarships at the same time as the acceptance?

Not that I know of, there have been some recent changes to the admissions dept but in the past, they have been given out after matriculation.

I'm pretty sure we all already chose scrub sizes. It was one of the things we filled out and turned in on our interview day.
I saw somewhere to expect a scrub email so I was assuming we got another chance lol
That would be nice :) I'd like to get bigger scrubs if I'm in them most the week. Gotta be comfy

You can swap with classmates if they don't fit, they typically run bigger than usual sizes, pants definitely larger but tops more true to size.

Orientation info email has been sent out! Check both your personal and USC email addresses.

Pro tip: If you have a Metro station near you, then take that to Union Station and then board the USC UPC (University Park Campus aka the main campus) shuttle bus to school. Be sure to buy the Graduate TAP Card/U-Pass once it's up on the Graduate Student Government website. (This option is much cheaper than paying ~$43/month for the regular student TAP card/U-Pass.) Taking metro will save you a lot of pain (thanks, LA traffic) and money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi,I interviewed at USC in November,didn't get accepted.i applied again my question is to those who have gone to USC interviews twice,was it pbl mock interviews the secound time or was it one on one
Thanks!!

Hey guys I have a question for you. Was the interview open file or closed file?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.