***The Official USC Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
No more hope for me
Don't loose hope just yet. A D1 told us during our tour that she got accepted 2 weeks before orientation.
If this helps: there are 3 deposits, 1st one for this batch is due in 5 days, 2nd one on Jul 1st, and 3rd one on Aug 1st.
Until orientation starts, anything can happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted yesterday 5:14pm PST.

Keep hope guys there's still time!! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey friends! Nothing here either...LOL...idk if the disappointment gets worse each time or if I become immune to the pain. I was wondering if I can ask y'all who are waitlisted a more personal question: did you / are you guys reapplying this current (2017-2018 cycle)? I'm crossing my fingers for all of us, but just wanna know what everyone else has been up to during this time!

Hey friends! Nothing here either...LOL...idk if the disappointment gets worse each time or if I become immune to the pain. I was wondering if I can ask y'all who are waitlisted a more personal question: did you / are you guys reapplying this current (2017-2018 cycle)? I'm crossing my fingers for all of us, but just wanna know what everyone else has been up to during this time!

I will reapply :( I did one-year post-bacc program. Hope this helps me to have better chance for this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I will reapply :( I did one-year post-bacc program. Hope this helps me to have better chance for this cycle.
I think it will!!! I'm kind of in the same boat (doing a Masters in August) and then thinking of reapplying either this cycle or next :\ I hope our programs can help us...or USC will have some mercy this time around!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it will!!! I'm kind of in the same boat (doing a Masters in August) and then thinking of reapplying either this cycle or next :\ I hope our programs can help us...or USC will have some mercy this time around!

I keep updating my academic performance while doing this program after USC interview. I am so depressing. :(

I keep updating my academic performance while doing this program after USC interview. I am so depressing. :(
Noooo! You're not!!! You should be proud that you got through the program and updates are good!!! There's nothing to lose anyway with an update and it's totally justified

So when do you guys and gals think the next round of acceptances are going out?
I thought it was gonna be July 1st but I feel like the recent batch was the "July 1st" batch. From last year's thread, at a certain point, they just start randomly calling people instead of doing batches, but idk if we are at that point yet? What are your thoughts?

I am not certain. I was hoping i would get some good news from USC before I sign my apartment lease for another school but I guess that is not happening.

The school does anticipate having students accepted after August 1. My guess is that they will have another small batch of acceptance emails in July, either the 1st week or the 3rd week, then start using phone calls after Aug 1st. Hang in tight, and good luck everyone.

The school does anticipate having students accepted after August 1. My guess is that they will have another small batch of acceptance emails in July, either the 1st week or the 3rd week, then start using phone calls after Aug 1st. Hang in tight, and good luck everyone.
Is this what admissions told you? I've been so sad all weekend... I was hoping to be accepted in this july batch. ;(

Is this what admissions told you? I've been so sad all weekend... I was hoping to be accepted in this july batch. ;(

The acceptance email does have instructions for students getting accepted after August 1st. I was told 2 weeks ago by admission office that there would be an acceptance batch this month. So just from my observation, they seem to have one batch every month, but the batch size does get smaller and smaller.

I'm aiming to submit by July 10th. AADSAS just received my transcript this morning... so i'll give them some time and hope that I get accepted before then. XD

I asked USC admin last month about reapplying early for 2017-2018 cycle while being on the waitlist. I was told that I could prepare my application, but don't have to submit it until I have received a final decision for this cycle because USC doesn't interview until October. Perhaps they give the same priority to applications submitted between June and September(?).

I asked USC admin last month about reapplying early for 2017-2018 cycle while being on the waitlist. I was told that I could prepare my application, but don't have to submit it until I have received a final decision for this cycle because USC doesn't interview until October. Perhaps they give the same priority to applications submitted between June and September(?).

I guess I'll just have to submit all to all the other schools and then add USC later on after hearing back from them. Don't want to lower my chances at other schools by applying too late... sigh.

Does anyone that was put on the waitlist last year remember when USC sent out the rejection notice?

I guess I'll just have to submit all to all the other schools and then add USC later on after hearing back from them. Don't want to lower my chances at other schools by applying too late... sigh.

Does anyone that was put on the waitlist last year remember when USC sent out the rejection notice?

Will submitting to USC again lower your chances of getting off the waitlist...?

I agree with nomnomnomx3. I don't think it will affect your application in anyway. However, one thing I learned was that schools don't like to re-interview candidates unless there are significant improvements in the application. This was true for me with 3 different schools including USC. After being interviewed, waitlisted then rejected, I resubmitted my app early for the next cycle in June/July with more A's that brought up my GPA a little bit, some new letter of rec (very good one too), and thought I would have a better chance at the schools I got interviews last cycle. I was wrong. I did not get any re-interview, just straight rejections.

I agree with nomnomnomx3. I don't think it will affect your application in anyway. However, one thing I learned was that schools don't like to re-interview candidates unless there are significant improvements in the application. This was true for me with 3 different schools including USC. After being interviewed, waitlisted then rejected, I resubmitted my app early for the next cycle in June/July with more A's that brought up my GPA a little bit, some new letter of rec (very good one too), and thought I would have a better chance at the schools I got interviews last cycle. I was wrong. I did not get any re-interview, just straight rejections.

Oh no!! I am doing exactly what you did right now.. One year post bad program with good grades, more EC and new LORs.. Now that makes more depressing.

In answer to your last question (this wasn't my own experience) but my friend who applied and was waitlisted at USC, got her rejection letter around September. She and I had already applied for the following cycle LOL...

oops I meant to quote someone but I messed up idk how to fix it

Oh no!! I am doing exactly what you did right now.. One year post bad program with good grades, more EC and new LORs.. Now that makes more depressing.

My academic adviser, who served on the med school admission committee for 15+ years, told me that doing well in a formal post-bac program would be considered a significant improvement. So if your program is formal, you are on a good track. Non-formal programs and extension courses are not taken seriously, according to him, and only improvement in GPA would be considered in this case. Still, I think different schools might have a different ways of looking at this. I only know for sure with the 3 schools that I were interviewed at: USC, WesternU, and Touro.

He also pointed out that: it would take at least a year to make a significant improvement in GPA, while it only takes 2-3 months to make one in MCAT/DAT scores. So this is the most efficient way to improve an application and he suggested to make this the highest priority on the list.

I'm not trying to stress anyone out. I'm just presenting facts so that everyone could be as informed as possible when making plan for reapplying. And definitely don't stress out, my application is not exactly the same as yours. So I hope you will find better luck than I did.

Thanks for all of the input and congrats on getting in!!! You speak a lot of truth--I applied this last cycle with a very high DAT score (enough to land me a job at Kaplan), but a very low GPA. I applied hoping that my DAT could save me, but the only school I got an interview at was USC and obviously I'm waitlisted so I definitely agree with what he said.

I'm planning to do an SMP at USC's med school in August, so I really hope that I can do well and do what your advisor said in terms of making it the highest priority on the list because I think it's my best bet to get in someday. I asked the dental admissions committee at USC about whether I should wait till I finish or reapply right now, and they said that current students who did my anticipated program typically apply while enrolled, so I think I will take their advice and hope for the best with an academic update.

I'm really glad to see that you got in, though!!! That gives a lot of hope for the rest of us :) If you don't mind me asking: when you reapplied, how many schools were on your list?

EDIT: JEEZ HOW MANY TIMES AM I GONNA MESS UP TRYNA QUOTE SOMEONE LOL. This was directed towards Skypass

Although this is not USC related, I just wanted to comment on my experience for the people who are re-applying. I have gone thru 5 cycles to get one acceptance. I had few interviews for class of 2020, all waitlisted then rejected. For class of 2021, I did not receive any interview until March. Until then, I was super depressed as I was expecting few or more interviews.

When I went to the interview in march, they mentioned if you were contacted after getting waitlisted (asking still interested or acceptance), it is harder to get an interview in the next cycle. This is because they do not make a note why they contacted you. They assume it was an acceptance and you rejected the offer. When I was just about to give up on a career in dentistry, I emailed the letter of interest to the admission offices. Then, the next day interview invitation then the following week, acceptance.

So you just need to stay in touch with them and show your continued interest. During my interview, interviewers said "let's try to put a different end for this cycle".

But of course, through my journey in this chaotic dental applications, I have finished a formal post bac program and Masters degree.

Skypass307 is right. It has to be the formal post bac program. They consider graduate programs highest, followed by formal post bac and GPAs taken as a non-degree student.

So never give up!

Although this is not USC related, I just wanted to comment on my experience for the people who are re-applying. I have gone thru 5 cycles to get one acceptance. I had few interviews for class of 2020, all waitlisted then rejected. For class of 2021, I did not receive any interview until March. Until then, I was super depressed as I was expecting few or more interviews.

When I went to the interview in march, they mentioned if you were contacted after getting waitlisted (asking still interested or acceptance), it is harder to get an interview in the next cycle. This is because they do not make a note why they contacted you. They assume it was an acceptance and you rejected the offer. When I was just about to give up on a career in dentistry, I emailed the letter of interest to the admission offices. Then, the next day interview invitation then the following week, acceptance.

So you just need to stay in touch with them and show your continued interest. During my interview, interviewers said "let's try to put a different end for this cycle".

But of course, through my journey in this chaotic dental applications, I have finished a formal post bac program and Masters degree.

Skypass307 is right. It has to be the formal post bac program. They consider graduate programs highest, followed by formal post bac and GPAs taken as a non-degree student.

So never give up!

When did you interview? What date in March?

Thanks for all of the input and congrats on getting in!!! You speak a lot of truth--I applied this last cycle with a very high DAT score (enough to land me a job at Kaplan), but a very low GPA. I applied hoping that my DAT could save me, but the only school I got an interview at was USC and obviously I'm waitlisted so I definitely agree with what he said.

I'm planning to do an SMP at USC's med school in August, so I really hope that I can do well and do what your advisor said in terms of making it the highest priority on the list because I think it's my best bet to get in someday. I asked the dental admissions committee at USC about whether I should wait till I finish or reapply right now, and they said that current students who did my anticipated program typically apply while enrolled, so I think I will take their advice and hope for the best with an academic update.

I'm really glad to see that you got in, though!!! That gives a lot of hope for the rest of us :) If you don't mind me asking: when you reapplied, how many schools were on your list?

EDIT: JEEZ HOW MANY TIMES AM I GONNA MESS UP TRYNA QUOTE SOMEONE LOL. This was directed towards Skypass

My initial goal was to finish my master program this July, retake the DAT in Aug/Sep and have my application submitted before Oct for 2017-2018 cycle. But after getting 3.9 GPA on my first semester, I decided to try my luck with this cycle. My new transcript wasn't available until late Dec, so I didn't get to submit my app until Jan. Only a handful of schools were still open at that time. I applied to less than 10 schools, probably 8. I only got one interview with USC in Mar. My GPA dropped to 3.8 after the second semester. I sent in the updated transcript 2 weeks before getting accepted so I don't know if the update played any role in my application or not.

I would say if you do well in the first semester, why not try applying. It happened to me :D. But my experience wasn't pleasant. It was stressful working on application and trying to get straight As at the same time. I flew to CA for my interview at USC right in the middle of my exam week. It was their last week of interview, so I had no other option. I flew back and bombed one of my exams, couldn't recover for that class and had to settle for a B. This is one scenario how application can interfere with your performance.

If USC is your #1 choice for dental school, doing a master program at USC will definitely give you higher priority. One of the candidates in my interview group just graduated from USC master in stem cell biology (or something like that). I wish I knew if he got accepted or not. But for your case with low GPA like mine, a formal post-bac or a master program would definitely improve your application better because the new GPA can be isolated from the old ones. It will show a new level of performance rather than just an improvement, providing you do well.

Reactions: 2 users
My initial goal was to finish my master program this July, retake the DAT in Aug/Sep and have my application submitted before Oct for 2017-2018 cycle. But after getting 3.9 GPA on my first semester, I decided to try my luck with this cycle. My new transcript wasn't available until late Dec, so I didn't get to submit my app until Jan. Only a handful of schools were still open at that time. I applied to less than 10 schools, probably 8. I only got one interview with USC in Mar. My GPA dropped to 3.8 after the second semester. I sent in the updated transcript 2 weeks before getting accepted so I don't know if the update played any role in my application or not.

I would say if you do well in the first semester, why not try applying. It happened to me :D. But my experience wasn't pleasant. It was stressful working on application and trying to get straight As at the same time. I flew to CA for my interview at USC right in the middle of my exam week. It was their last week of interview, so I had no other option. I flew back and bombed one of my exams, couldn't recover for that class and had to settle for a B. This is one scenario how application can interfere with your performance.

If USC is your #1 choice for dental school, doing a master program at USC will definitely give you higher priority. One of the candidates in my interview group just graduated from USC master in stem cell biology (or something like that). I wish I knew if he got accepted or not. But for your case with low GPA like mine, a formal post-bac or a master program would definitely improve your application better because the new GPA can be isolated from the old ones. It will show a new level of performance rather than just an improvement, providing you do well.

Omg thanks so much for your detailed reply!!! I'm genuinely so happy that it worked out for you so you didn't have to retake the DAT and worry about reapplying this cycle. I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts too, cause it helps hearing that there's light at the end of the tunnel for us reapplicants. I hadn't thought about what would happen if I got an interview during my program either (since this last cycle I mostly stayed at home and didn't run into that issue) but it's something to consider if I do choose to reapply.

Anyway, thank you so much again for your reply!!! Wishing you the best for D1 year!

PS: I tried calling the school and asked if there's going to be another round of acceptances.
Answer: "there MAY be"

not very reassuring but I mean it's something I guess

Reactions: 3 users
PS: I tried calling the school and asked if there's going to be another round of acceptances.
Answer: "there MAY be"

not very reassuring but I mean it's something I guess
I'll bet they are waiting to see how many deposits come in first and second between now and next week

So if first deposits were due Wednesday for the last batch, how many spots you think opened up? Are we looking at a Fourth of July miracle today?!?!

So if first deposits were due Wednesday for the last batch, how many spots you think opened up? Are we looking at a Fourth of July miracle today?!?!
The people who get accepted Friday, their deposits were due Wednesday?! how quick!

USC is on holidays until the 5th. My DH friends don't have class this Mon & Tue. So if there is any movement, it would be more likely to be Friday. I wish I knew how many spots would be open up. :(

The people who get accepted Friday, their deposits were due Wednesday?! how quick!

Yes, only 5 days to make the first deposit (due on 6/28) because the 2nd one is due on July 1st. People getting accepted after July 1st will have to make 2 deposits at one, probably similar situation, within 5 days, and shortly before the 3rd one due on Aug 1st. My guess is that if any acceptance emails are sent out in July, it would be either Friday the 7th or Friday the 21st.

Does anyone know when the Class of 2021 enrollment date is? It's when the health forms are due, but my second matriculation packet (the first was lost in the mail so it never arrived) hasn't come yet so I don't know the enrollment date. Thank you for any help.

Does anyone know when the Class of 2021 enrollment date is? It's when the health forms are due, but my second matriculation packet (the first was lost in the mail so it never arrived) hasn't come yet so I don't know the enrollment date. Thank you for any help.

Financial office says that the loan disbursement date is 8/18 and school website says the orientation starts on 21st, white coat ceremony on 25th, and class starts on 28th(I googled it, since school didnt update me, haha). I haven't received any emails/updates ever since I sent my matriculation packet so I'm not 100% sure. And my packet was due on 6/23 so I guess you should contact the admin. (I got my packet on 4/24ish)

Last edited:

Last edited:
Financial office says that the loan disbursement date is 8/18 and school website says the orientation starts on 21st, white coat ceremony on 25th, and class starts on 28th(I googled it, since school didnt update me, haha). I haven't received any emails/updates ever since I sent my matriculation packet so I'm not 100% sure. And my packet was due on 6/23 so I guess you should contact the admin. (I got my packet on 4/24ish)
Thank you very much! I was able to get all the forms emailed to me just in case.

Has anyone received any information about course registration or is the curriculum laid out for us as 1st years?

Status
Not open for further replies.