***The Official UPenn Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

htdt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been a few Official Class of 2021 threads around, and since UPenn is one of my dream schools I think I should start this one.

I submitted my AADSAS application last week, and just start looking at UPenn's secondary today. I know plenty of you have started or finished it, so it would be great if you all can share your thoughts here. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
There have been a few Official Class of 2021 threads around, and since UPenn is one of my dream schools I think I should start this one.

I submitted my AADSAS application last week, and just start looking at UPenn's secondary today. I know plenty of you have started or finished it, so it would be great if you all can share your thoughts here. Good luck everyone!
Applied here as well. Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. For the first question, it has been confirmed by SDN members that we can safely leave blank, correct?
And how do you all plan to answer question 4: "What qualities of the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine do you feel will help you achieve your professional goals and how?" What is unique about UPenn, besides of the Ivy League name?

Good luck everyone. PM me with any questions you may have.

Reactions: 2 users
how long did you make your answers to the supplemental

do you email the supplementary application or send it through mail with the check ?

Today I just got a "reminder" email that I still haven't submitted my supp app. I am having some difficulties writing the long essays, and since I just got a new job I don't think I'll have as much time to write. If I submit it sometimes in July, am I still considered among the so-called "early" applicants?

Today I just got a "reminder" email that I still haven't submitted my supp app. I am having some difficulties writing the long essays, and since I just got a new job I don't think I'll have as much time to write. If I submit it sometimes in July, am I still considered among the so-called "early" applicants?
I'd submit asap. The supplemental is incredibly important and they won't look at your app without it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email from Penn for application complete and under review. I hope to see and want to know @JLT223 :)

have you already completed the secondary? could be a stupid question but whateva
Yes, I sent out the secondary application, very condensed essay response, and personal check thru the first class mail last week.

Last edited:
How can anyone afford to go to schools that cost this much?

How can anyone afford to go to schools that cost this much?
Really not that much of an increase in cost compared to most private schools. Not everybody has undergrad debt. Still, when I got my first bill it wasn't a fun moment. Not everyone can justify the price and that's certainly understandable.

Wait, is UPenn about the same or significantly more expensive than other private schools? I just applied and never really look into the cost of UPenn...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Wait, is UPenn about the same or significantly more expensive than other private schools? I just applied and never really look into the cost of UPenn...

Around 72k from the packet that i got last week excluding living expenses and lab instrument fees.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When you take the cost of living into account, Philly isn't bad at all compared to NY, Boston, San Francisco, etc. It is a bit more expensive than most though.

So being paranoid an all, I was reading over Penn's website again and came across this:

"Two semesters or three quarters of English writing intensive courses, leading to competence in the use of the English language. Acceptable courses include speech, composition, literature, technical and business writing, and other writing intensive courses. Credit for writing intensive courses will be considered if written documentation is submitted to Penn Dental Medicine’s Office of Admissions for review. Submit documentation with Supplemental Application."

So does everyone have to submit written documentation to Penn for their writing intensive courses? My university has everyone do 2 semesters worth of "first-year writing seminars" which are designated on my transcript as "FWS" and I thought that we be enough for Penn to know that. Plus they are both listed under the English on my AADSAS application. I also already submitted my supplemental application and I received an application complete from Penn today. Not sure if I should be freaking out?

So being paranoid an all, I was reading over Penn's website again and came across this:

"Two semesters or three quarters of English writing intensive courses, leading to competence in the use of the English language. Acceptable courses include speech, composition, literature, technical and business writing, and other writing intensive courses. Credit for writing intensive courses will be considered if written documentation is submitted to Penn Dental Medicine’s Office of Admissions for review. Submit documentation with Supplemental Application."

So does everyone have to submit written documentation to Penn for their writing intensive courses? My university has everyone do 2 semesters worth of "first-year writing seminars" which are designated on my transcript as "FWS" and I thought that we be enough for Penn to know that. Plus they are both listed under the English on my AADSAS application. I also already submitted my supplemental application and I received an application complete from Penn today. Not sure if I should be freaking out?
I don't think you should worry about any prereq at this point. A lot of people are still in school when they interview and haven't completed all prereqs. Schools will ask/clarify with you about missing prereqs during interviews or after acceptance and you'll have up. You have up to before matriculation to fill out any potential missing prereq.

I don't think you should worry about any prereq at this point. A lot of people are still in school when they interview and haven't completed all prereqs. Schools will ask/clarify with you about missing prereqs during interviews or after acceptance and you'll have up. You have up to before matriculation to fill out any potential missing prereq.
I'm not missing any pre-req's for the schools I'm applying to and I already graduated. I just want to know if the documentation is needed for writing courses lol.

I'm not missing any pre-req's for the schools I'm applying to and I already graduated. I just want to know if the documentation is needed for writing courses lol.
They will let you know if they are missing something from your application. I emailed 15 schools about my English pre req, and many schools waived English requirement upon completion of undergraduate.

They will let you know if they are missing something from your application. I emailed 15 schools about my English pre req, and many schools waived English requirement upon completion of undergraduate.
Would you mind listing which schools those were?

@sharkteethdentist: Can you please PM me the list too? I am also concerned about my English prereq.

Called Penn up and they want written documentation submitted for writing intensive courses NOT in the english department. So I guess have to do that. Has anyone had any experience with this process?

For the LOR section on the supplemental where we list our evaluators, can we put down our PI (dental school) for the optional letter on the line where it says "Dentist or Employer"? I have 2 profs, 1 dentist, and 1 PI letter. I feel like the PI letter is more relevant to my app than the dentist one since I have lots of research exp. Anyone have any insight on this?

For the LOR section on the supplemental where we list our evaluators, can we put down our PI (dental school) for the optional letter on the line where it says "Dentist or Employer"? I have 2 profs, 1 dentist, and 1 PI letter. I feel like the PI letter is more relevant to my app than the dentist one since I have lots of research exp. Anyone have any insight on this?
Call and ask on Monday. Probably no big deal.

Got my brochure yesterday, lol..

Called Penn up and they want written documentation submitted for writing intensive courses NOT in the english department. So I guess have to do that. Has anyone had any experience with this process?
Two out of the three required English courses at my university had a prefix other than ENG, so AADSAS changed them from English to NonSci. They quickly rejected my appeal, lol. It wasn't a problem though, I emailed all of my schools and all of them said that the two courses fulfilled their English prereqs/they added notes to my application. UMich and NYU were the only schools that asked for syllabi in order to verify the validity of the coursework (>50% constitutes writing-intensive). I wrote up a formal request to Penn and included my syllabi in the packet when I sent out my supplemental. It's just a bummer that you have to jump through hoops just because the courses have a different prefix. Considering you said your courses are still ENG, I don't think it should be a problem at all. AADSAS told me that any courses outside of the English department are automatically designated as NonSci, so maybe you got lucky.

Yeah, it's still 6000. lol

So I have one class (technical writing) that was classified under English on my transcript.

I realized that I needed to take another English course since my other classes went under non-science. I emailed admissions saying I just enrolled in Composition and Rhetoric to satisfy that credit, and they just said to provide documentation for the writing intensive course.

So, my question:
I do not need to submit documentation for the technical writing course, right? And for my new course, do I simply submit a copy of my registration form, or like a catalog course description?

Thanks for any help!

So I have one class (technical writing) that was classified under English on my transcript.

I realized that I needed to take another English course since my other classes went under non-science. I emailed admissions saying I just enrolled in Composition and Rhetoric to satisfy that credit, and they just said to provide documentation for the writing intensive course.

So, my question:
I do not need to submit documentation for the technical writing course, right? And for my new course, do I simply submit a copy of my registration form, or like a catalog course description?

Thanks for any help!
If you have writing-intensive courses that were changed from English to non-science just send them documentation... They will more than likely satisfy Penn's requirements. If the technical writing course is outside of the English department (does not have an ENG prefix) then you will also need to provide documentation for that course.

Application Complete Email on June 29th, 2016
AADSAS portal updated to Under Review on July 12th, 2016

anyone has similar situations like me?