***The Official UoP Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

For anyone who has interviewed already, do you mind sharing what it was like? UoP is my first and I'm not sure what to expect.

Don't worry about it at all. It's very stress-free

Members don't see this ad.

For anyone who has interviewed already, do you mind sharing what it was like? UoP is my first and I'm not sure what to expect.
I'd tell you to relax and be yourself but also be prepared...maybe look over some possible questions. I interviewed a little less than a month ago, and I was surprised but how much my interviewer drilled me. He asked me a lot of questions and some that I found to be pretty difficult to answer on the spot. I went into it thinking it was going to be super stress free and just a conversation, but I had a much harder experience than that lol it worked out though cause he gave me very positive remarks at the end, and he was a really nice guy. So I'd say to just try to prepare yourself -- better that way than to get caught off guard (kinda like I was lol). Best of luck!

I'd tell you to relax and be yourself but also be prepared...maybe look over some possible questions. I interviewed a little less than a month ago, and I was surprised but how much my interviewer drilled me. He asked me a lot of questions and some that I found to be pretty difficult to answer on the spot. I went into it thinking it was going to be super stress free and just a conversation, but I had a much harder experience than that lol it worked out though cause he gave me very positive remarks at the end, and he was a really nice guy. So I'd say to just try to prepare yourself -- better that way than to get caught off guard (kinda like I was lol). Best of luck!
Oh wow okay haha. Were the questions more about yourself or did he ask you about the school too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohhhh~ fellow ucla alum?

I personally had a really stress-free interview, but like the other person posted, I've heard otherwise. It all just depends on who you get.

Good luck! PM me if you have any other questions :)

Last edited:
Oh wow okay haha. Were the questions more about yourself or did he ask you about the school too?
I'd say a mix of both, plus dentistry questions. The ones I found hardest were some hypothetical questions he threw at me which I think would have fallen in the "ethical questions" category -- like what would I do if this and that happened to me as a future dentist. He also asked me general questions about the field of dentistry, like what I know and things I've learned. What I did love though was that after each question he kind of used it as a teaching moment -- he would take what I said and then used it to add his own opinion and advice. So if that's any clue as to what UoP will be like, then I think it's going to be a great place to learn! Haha but like everyone else said, I think my experience is a lot less common. You'll probably just have a stress free conversation about you and why you chose dentistry :)

Reactions: 2 users
I'd say a mix of both, plus dentistry questions. The ones I found hardest were some hypothetical questions he threw at me which I think would have fallen in the "ethical questions" category -- like what would I do if this and that happened to me as a future dentist. He also asked me general questions about the field of dentistry, like what I know and things I've learned. What I did love though was that after each question he kind of used it as a teaching moment -- he would take what I said and then used it to add his own opinion and advice. So if that's any clue as to what UoP will be like, then I think it's going to be a great place to learn! Haha but like everyone else said, I think my experience is a lot less common. You'll probably just have a stress free conversation about you and why you chose dentistry :)

Just saying- you're going to be a great classmate and I can totally see why they invited you. You've got an excellent attitude towards learning and helping your peers. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Just saying- you're going to be a great classmate and I can totally see why they invited you. You've got an excellent attitude towards learning and helping your peers. Thank you.
Wow, thank you. That really means a lot to me. I hope I'm lucky enough to have encouraging classmates like you :)

Is it appropriate to call the admissions office and ask the status of my application? Even though one of their options explains their admission process and that they will be extending interviews until March. Would showing my interest even help?

Is it appropriate to call the admissions office and ask the status of my application?

I doubt they mind if you call to ask, they're very helpful.

Would showing my interest even help?

Probably not, unfortunately. Otherwise they would be flooded with their entire applicant pool calling to show interest as well.

Is it appropriate to call the admissions office and ask the status of my application? Even though one of their options explains their admission process and that they will be extending interviews until March. Would showing my interest even help?

Yes.

Last edited:
Just got an interview invite by phone! I chose the earliest date available, January 12th.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

3.4 science and 3.4 overall GPA.

DAT - 20 AA

Lots of shadowing and community service hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my invite today! Interviewing January 23rd

Just got the call! I'M IN! Received about 9:30AM PST!

Reactions: 1 users
Got the call from Darlene! Around 9:25 AM Pacific time.

Accepted (Out of State)! Via phone call at 12:45 eastern time.

I got the call, anyone get an email yet for acceptance? Wondering on the scholarship package...

Yep, was in the middle of typing the same. I tripped out when i saw class of 2020 at first, lol.

Just got the email
Yep, was in the middle of typing the same. I tripped out when i saw class of 2020 at first, lol.

Congrats to everyone who got in so far! I was wondering...what did your guys' email say? Did it have a list of 10 things that said you've been conditionally accepted or was that just mine? Lol

Congrats to everyone who got in so far! I was wondering...what did your guys' email say? Did it have a list of 10 things that said you've been conditionally accepted or was that just mine? Lol
I got the same thing

I think it's just formalities at this point for the contingencies.

Did they tell you over the phone you received a scholarship?

Nope, but the impression they left me with from the interview is that we'd "know on the spot." It was pretty explicit, although after conferring with others I'm not sure if thats the case. Would be nice to have a confirmation.

Congrats!! What's your stats and app complete date?
GPA 3.5
DAT: 19AA no scores under 18
Lots of shadowing, research, and service hours

My apps were completed in early October (secondary apps too)

Does anyone know how much the second deposit is and when it's due?

Has anybody received and/or heard anything about the scholarships? Was really hoping I'd get one :shy:

You can DM me if you don't want to disclose it on here but would be willing to tell me!

GPA 3.5
DAT: 19AA no scores under 18
Lots of shadowing, research, and service hours

My apps were completed in early October (secondary apps too)
Congrats! Thats awesome
Still hoping for an invite here with my 20AA/3.87 GPA

Got my invite today! Interviewing January 23rd
Congratulations! Still waiting (PRAYING) for an interview invite. Did they offer you any other January days?

Also, does anyone know when they start the "alternate interviews?" Is that Feb or March? Thank you :)

Got the acceptance but I won't be attending. Some hope for all you who haven't gotten the call

Congratulations! Still waiting (PRAYING) for an interview invite. Did they offer you any other January days?

Also, does anyone know when they start the "alternate interviews?" Is that Feb or March? Thank you :)
Yeah, they gave me three days to choose from. I believe it was Monday the 23rd, Wednesday the 25th and one other I can't remember. I hope you get the invite soon!

I've heard really conflicting things about the UOP curriculum. Many students I've spoken with as of late have said how manageable the curriculum can be, especially D2 and D3, and for the first and last quarter of D1. But then on SDN (which I know I shouldn't always trust), people are sometimes known to go insane studying and that it's just too much to handle. Can anyone weigh in? Thanks.

I've heard really conflicting things about the UOP curriculum. Many students I've spoken with as of late have said how manageable the curriculum can be, especially D2 and D3, and for the first and last quarter of D1. But then on SDN (which I know I shouldn't always trust), people are sometimes known to go insane studying and that it's just too much to handle. Can anyone weigh in? Thanks.

There is no questioning that the curriculum is intense; how else would they be able to fit 4 years of dental school into 3 and STILL give a great clinic experience. For the vast majority in my class and those around me, it was indeed manageable. It helps that everyone is very supportive, and the faculty's doors are always open, but at the end of the day, yes you have to put in a ton of work balancing academic sciences with pre-clinical practice. If you do not take notes in class, or are not used to keeping up on your studies throughout the months before finals, and only cram during finals week, yes it will be very tough.

Since my graduation, I've heard they have shifted some of the burden from first year to second year, which is good news as second year was far easier.

Either way, I think the main point everyone wants to convey is that the curriculum (first year especially) is no cakewalk and to not have an expectation to not study. It is definitely manageable though with good study habits and classmates to suffer alongside :p

For the grads and current UoP dental students: Do you feel like your GPA/class rank suffered because you attended a 3 year institution rather than a 4 year?

For the grads and current UoP dental students: Do you feel like your GPA/class rank suffered because you attended a 3 year institution rather than a 4 year?

This question can only be answered by transfer students lol

Do any of you guys know if they're done giving out interviews?

I just got an email from UOP saying that my application is "under secondary review by the Executive Admissions Committee due to the impending Winter break." What exactly is secondary review?

Reactions: 5 users