**The Official University of Minnesota Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

At first I assumed you meant you're a dental student at UMN LOL then I reread your post haha.

Good to know because I assumed that they were super-heavy about EC's but since they're a public university, makes sense why they'd emphasize research. Either way I'm happy that they looked at my application holistically.

I got in last year. I had lots of research experience and a decent amount of community ECs. For the most part, I think if you just have a few activities that you are really passionate about and are engaged/invested in you will be set. Commitment is a big deal.

I start in a few weeks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was offered an interview this morning! Unfortunately I have a prior conflict with the date that was chosen for me. Has anyone been able to schedule a different date?

Edit: They let me reschedule.

Last edited:
I was offered an interview this morning! Unfortunately I have a prior conflict with the date that was chosen for me. Has anyone been able to schedule a different date?

Yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @SableFire!

I've been scouring the 2020 UMN thread regarding interviews and acceptances and I noticed that applicants getting interview invites for September and October have a greater chance of getting accepted than someone who is invited for an interview post-December.

How high of a chance (like a rough percentage) do us lucky September interviewees have in receiving an acceptance offer (as opposed to a waitlist or rejection) on Dec 2? I hear that some dental schools offer interviews indiscriminately, only to reject/waitlist an interviewee because of low GPA or DAT, irrespective of how well the interview went. I ask because I have a low-ish GPA and after coming down from the "OMG I got an interview invite" rush, I want to be realistic about my chances.

I hope UMN is selective with regards to who they invite for interviews and obviously there is no such thing as guarantees, but I am curious to know if their interview is a "as long as he/she isn't creepy or an arsehole, he/she's accepted" or if they're examining us for non-cognitive factors, thus whittling down the field further.
I think if you have a pretty decent chance of acceptance if you have a Pre-December interview, as far as instate goes, according to the admissions director they save a lot of Minnesota spots for January interviews. They focus a lot on interviewing residents in January so they can focus on getting the OOS list full earlier. Not sure if that helps I'm not too familiar with the numbers.

Reactions: 1 users
I think if you have a pretty decent chance of acceptance if you have a Pre-December interview, as far as instate goes, according to the admissions director they save a lot of Minnesota spots for January interviews. They focus a lot on interviewing residents in January so they can focus on getting the OOS list full earlier. Not sure if that helps I'm not too familiar with the numbers.
Good to hear they wanna see OOS first haha. California is pretty competitive in-state and dentistry is um.... saturated in California, so I'm happy to see that UMN is interested in interviewing me.

Let's hope today or next week there are a few more invites :/

@
I think if you have a pretty decent chance of acceptance if you have a Pre-December interview, as far as instate goes, according to the admissions director they save a lot of Minnesota spots for January interviews. They focus a lot on interviewing residents in January so they can focus on getting the OOS list full earlier. Not sure if that helps I'm not too familiar with the numbers.[/QUOTE

Dude Sable, get off student doctor and study. We got a test to study for.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm flying in on Sunday noon, renting an econobox and gonna check out the Mall of America and other cool places. Gonna be staying a few miles north at a cheap-ish motel.

If you need a place to crash and don't wanna Airbnb it, PM me. So stoked for the interview!

Its not saturated in every part of CA is it? even riverside?

I'm flying in on Sunday noon, renting an econobox and gonna check out the Mall of America and other cool places. Gonna be staying a few miles north at a cheap-ish motel.

If you need a place to crash and don't wanna Airbnb it, PM me. So stoked for the interview!

So, I designated Minnesota on 8/3, and they haven't received my app let. Should I call them?

Man, I hope I'm not jumping the gun as I haven't gotten an email yet... but according to AADSAS I've received an interview invite!

Stats:

AA: 27
TS: 26
PAT: 21

Sci: 3.75
Non-sci: 3.86
BCP: 3.94

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an e-mail today saying that one of my LORs from the laboratory professor does not count as my science letter. Will not be able to get a letter from lecture-based prof so I guess I just wasted money

Flying in from Cali in a few days! So nervous and excited at the same time!

Those that have interviewed what did you think of Minnesota and the interview? I've heard they can be rather intimidating.

Those that have interviewed what did you think of Minnesota and the interview? I've heard they can be rather intimidating.
The people are not intimidating at all, but I personally think the interview style is. I thought it was very difficult recalling past behavioral questions about yourself. The actual staff and school is great though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

I fell in love today with this school. I hope to have a chance to attend here.

Could you share your thoughts/experiences about the school and interview day? I am interviewing soon and extremely excited about this school.

How did this happen? I didn't realize I had more than one account. This one must be linked to my Facebook. Lol. I normally use californiway21.

Did you by chance talk to some dental students in pre-clinic?
The tour was given by two D4 students. We talked to a few faculty on the tour. We didn't talk to any students in the pre-clinic because they were transitioning from lecture and getting ready for lab.

Could you share your thoughts/experiences about the school and interview day? I am interviewing soon and extremely excited about this school.
I knew nothing about Minneapolis and I absolutely loved the city and the surrounding areas from what I saw. Absolutely beautiful with a unique feeling! I think they definitely have a great program and I definitely left with a positive vibe about attending the school. Dr. Lopez explained to us in the beginning about the structure of the interview, so that immediately made me nervous. However, the two interviewers I had were constantly smiling. It was one of the most enjoyable and least stressful interviews I've had. The tour of the clinics was fun and the D4s were a wealth of knowledge about the school and Minneapolis. You're going to have a great time! Good luck!

I am just wondering when the interview usually ends coz i want to buy plane ticket:happy: Thank you for answering!

Just had my interview there a while back. I actually thought it was pretty damn tough... I blanked on a few questions and wasn't particularly impressed with their idea to ask me race-based questions based on my socioeconomic/ethnic background (keeping in mind 85% of Minnesotans are white and mostly from Scandinavian descent).

Edit: also want to answer LunanS's post - My day ended around 3 pm, so you can book a departing flight around 5 pm, 6 pm to be safe.

Last edited:
Anybody interviewing tmrw???

I am just wondering when the interview usually ends coz i want to buy plane ticket:happy: Thank you for answering!
Those interview in the morning start at 7:15 and are done at around 12pm.
race-based questions based on my socioeconomic/ethnic background (keeping in mind 85% of Minnesotans are white and mostly from Scandinavian descent).
Are those part of the actual interview questions or the survey questions?

Hi guys! I got an interview here today, so I responded to confirm and the next emails I got were an itinerary and a research thing. Is this all you get as confirmation or should I expect another confirmation email? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi guys! I got an interview here today, so I responded to confirm and the next emails I got were an itinerary and a research thing. Is this all you get as confirmation or should I expect another confirmation email? Thanks!

That's pretty much it. They should have given you a date and time as well for the interview. Good luck!

What what your decision date and stats, if you don't mind.

What what your decision date and stats, if you don't mind.

AADSAS mailed out 7/29, got the invite on Monday. I have a 3.0 undergrad GPA but a 3.9 in my Masters. 22AA, 21TS, 20 PAT, 28 RC. I'm OOS. There's hope for people with low undergrad GPAs!

AADSAS mailed out 7/29, got the invite on Monday. I have a 3.0 undergrad GPA but a 3.9 in my Masters. 22AA, 21TS, 20 PAT, 28 RC. I'm OOS. There's hope for people with low undergrad GPAs!

When do you interview? Pre-December?

Got an interview today for Nov. 9th! I'm out of state.

Interview call today for 11/9
OOS, 24AA/24PAT, 3.86GPA(3.77s)

If anyone wants travel tips for Minneapolis, my apartment is a 10 min walk from the dental school! I'm interviewing on November 9th.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received a provisional acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
i just received one too at 2:19am CT

Reactions: 4 users