**The Official University of Minnesota Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

SableFire

D4
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys incoming D1 here. Good luck with everything. If anyone has any questions about the whole process and Minnesota's supplemental ask away! As the year goes on I will also be able to answer questions about the school and its ins and outs.

Here are the previous years threads
Class of 2020
Class of 2019
Class of 2018

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
In the "EXPERIENCES AND ACTIVITIES" section of the online supplemental, should I repeat stuff from AADSAS?

That's what I did. I just added more information on each and added any one that didn't fit on the AADSAS app. The character count is unlimited unlike AADSAS' extremely low one so I was better able to explain my job responsibilities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email reminding me to finish my supplemental.... I really hate writing so I am procrastinating...

Reactions: 1 users
I received an email reminding me to finish my supplemental.... I really hate writing so I am procrastinating...
It's a rough supplemental! I had to do it twice it was not fun.

The supplemental is rough but it's nice because you can explain yourself a little more and only people who really want to go to Minnesota will apply.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Agree. Took a while, but I hope they value the people that put time into it.

It sucked, but it feels good when you are done because you feel like you are fully represented.

I don't know about that. I feel more anxious after writing those extra essays.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Same here. I just hit submit an hour ago, and now I can't help but keep wondering if I made any stupid grammatical/typo mistakes in those long essays.

Reactions: 1 user
I talked to one of the adcoms a few days ago, he said that they REALLY look at the two supplemental essays. Not sure if it's true or not when there's other factors like GPA, DAT, and shadowing hours, but makes sense especially when the character limit is way above the AADSAS personal statement.

AADSAS shows "Application Received/Waiting Additional Information". Is this generic for everyone? I submitted my secondary back in June and was verified in June as well. I figured they had all my information...

AADSAS shows "Application Received/Waiting Additional Information". Is this generic for everyone? I submitted my secondary back in June and was verified in June as well. I figured they had all my information...

Same, until you also submit a letter of evaluation from an employer/supervisor. Submitted mine 2 weeks ago. But there could be other things missing (e.g official DAT, etc...).

Members don't see this ad :)
Same, until you also submit a letter of evaluation from an employer/supervisor. Submitted mine 2 weeks ago. But there could be other things missing (e.g official DAT, etc...).
Be sure they categorize your LORs correctly, they messed mine up, but quickly corrected it.

Okay, thank you. I have all my LOR's and DAT scores submitted, so I can't think of anything missing. I'll contact them today.

Be sure they categorize your LORs correctly, they messed mine up, but quickly corrected it.

Out of curiosity, what was the confusion that caused them to categorize your letters incorrectly? I may be in a similar situation.

I don't think you see it, I had to make sure a certain LOR counted as an employer/supervisor so I e-mailed them and they said it would work. Mine says Received/Application Complete so I know they categorized it correctly. Also, does anyone know the difference between Received/Application Complete and Received/Under Review. I feel like they mean the same thing or maybe "application complete" means they haven't started looking at it yet?

How long did it take them to respond by email?

Out of curiosity, what was the confusion that caused them to categorize your letters incorrectly? I may be in a similar situation.

I had some letters that were both sci. professor and supervisor and they didn't recognize one of them as a sci. professor. I noticed in the email they sent out (status of everything) that I was "missing" a sci. professor letter and emailed them to fix it. Quick and friendly.

They said I was missing the two letters from science or math professors. I have 3 LORs from physiology and biochemistry professors...not sure what happened there. Hope they fix it!

I don't think you see it, I had to make sure a certain LOR counted as an employer/supervisor so I e-mailed them and they said it would work. Mine says Received/Application Complete so I know they categorized it correctly. Also, does anyone know the difference between Received/Application Complete and Received/Under Review. I feel like they mean the same thing or maybe "application complete" means they haven't started looking at it yet?
Received/Application complete means they are done processing and are considering whether to send you an interview or not. Received/Under Review probably means that they are still looking over your apps and/or you haven't sent everything in.

It's weird because AADSAS says that it's Received/Application Complete, but I get an email saying that it's "under review" lol o well.

When did you submit your supp?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

INTERVIEW!!!!! :soexcited::soexcited: I almost fell out of my chair when I got that email. Replied back to confirm date and I'm waiting for more details from them.

3.4 oGPA 3.2 sGPA 3.1 BCP 21AA

I guess with low GPA it is possible. I think they liked my extracurricular experiences since UMinn is very community-oriented, from what I've heard.

Reactions: 1 users
INTERVIEW!!!!! :soexcited::soexcited: I almost fell out of my chair when I got that email. Replied back to confirm date and I'm waiting for more details from them.

I guess with low GPA it is possible. I think they liked my extracurricular experiences since UMinn is very community-oriented, from what I've heard.

Congrats!! Feeling anxious now haha. When did you get the "under review/completed" email?

I also got an interview invite. I'm a second time applicant though. I had an interview at Minnesota last year but it was post December, so a pre December interview is definitely an upgrade.

For those receiving invites, when were your applications complete on AADSAS?

I also got an interview invite. I'm a second time applicant though. I had an interview at Minnesota last year but it was post December, so a pre December interview is definitely an upgrade.

6P masterrace ;)

Also, yesterday or today?

Interview! I am overjoyed!

I am a current student at UMN, and I can tell you that UMN is more research-oriented than community service-oriented. Sure, they like to see some sort of community service/volunteer, but not to the point where it becomes the most important factor like the case of ASDOH. On the other hand, if you did some research, you're at a great advantage in the race.

Looks like they are doing interviews day by day at this rate.... so hoping for the best!
I asked a few people and it seems like they only interview on Wednesdays? I am on the 21st. Which day did they assign to you?

I am a current student at UMN, and I can tell you that UMN is more research-oriented than community service-oriented. Sure, they like to see some sort of community service/volunteer, but not to the point where it becomes the most important factor like the case of ASDOH. On the other hand, if you did some research, you're at a great advantage in the race.

I asked a few people and it seems like they only interview on Wednesdays? I am on the 21st. Which day did they assign to you?

September?

At first I assumed you meant you're a dental student at UMN LOL then I reread your post haha.

Good to know because I assumed that they were super-heavy about EC's but since they're a public university, makes sense why they'd emphasize research. Either way I'm happy that they looked at my application holistically.
Congrats!! Feeling anxious now haha. When did you get the "under review/completed" email?

Got the "under review" email July 25th.

Edit: BTW my interview is on a Monday. Not sure if I'm the exception from the Wednesday rule here... lol

Interview!!

Residency: Canada
GPA: ~ 3.4 sGPA and oGPA, 3.9 informal postbach, 4.0 gradGPA (publications)
DAT: 22 AA, 20 TS, 21 PAT, 26 RC, none below 20

Anyone know anything about the simulation skill test?

D
They mentioned that in the email?
Didn't see anything about it in the email. It was in the interview tab of the How to Apply section of their website. Says there's a 30 minute simulation skills assessment.

D
Didn't see anything about it in the email. It was in the interview tab of the How to Apply section of their website. Says there's a 30 minute simulation skills assessment.

Oh, that's for people that graduated dental school in a different country but want to practice in the US lol.

Oh, that's for people that graduated dental school in a different country but want to practice in the US lol.

Hahaha okay, thank goodness. I was trying to check on my phone and it wasn't loading properly. Thanks for clarifying!

Hey @SableFire!

I've been scouring the 2020 UMN thread regarding interviews and acceptances and I noticed that applicants getting interview invites for September and October have a greater chance of getting accepted than someone who is invited for an interview post-December.

How high of a chance (like a rough percentage) do us lucky September interviewees have in receiving an acceptance offer (as opposed to a waitlist or rejection) on Dec 2? I hear that some dental schools offer interviews indiscriminately, only to reject/waitlist an interviewee because of low GPA or DAT, irrespective of how well the interview went. I ask because I have a low-ish GPA and after coming down from the "OMG I got an interview invite" rush, I want to be realistic about my chances.

I hope UMN is selective with regards to who they invite for interviews and obviously there is no such thing as guarantees, but I am curious to know if their interview is a "as long as he/she isn't creepy or an arsehole, he/she's accepted" or if they're examining us for non-cognitive factors, thus whittling down the field further.