2018 **** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who got the interview scheduled, where are you all staying at during the trip? Completely unfamiliar with Detroit, so need some suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone mind giving me some feedback on my chances?
OOS
18 AA 17 TS
Overall 3.48 w/ (+/-) and 3.53 w/o-------Science 3.35 w/ (+/-) and 3.42 w/o
Solid leadership
900+ hours of Volunteer
450+ hours of Shadowing (General Dentist, Oral Surgeon, Periodontist, Endodontist)
1000 hours of undergraduate research with 3 publications
Currently do research @ Medical School during this Gap year
Thank you!

OOS
18 AA 17 TS
Solid leadership
900+ hours of Volunteer
450+ hours of Shadowing (General Dentist, Oral Surgeon, Periodontist, Endodontist)
Thank you!
EC's look great, GPA is so so, you could really increase your chances by retaking the DAT and getting a 20+ in both AA and TS

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
EC's look great, GPA is so so, you could really increase your chances by retaking the DAT and getting a 20+ in both AA and TS
Thanks I really appreciate the feedback! I am scheduled to retake at the end of this month! I have notified the schools on my applications, however just thought I would ask.

Thanks I really appreciate the feedback! I am scheduled to retake at the end of this month! I have notified the schools on my applications, however just thought I would ask.
I have similar stats as you in terms of EC and GPA, and I have received an invite for interview from UDM. Aim for a higher DAT and you will increase your chances of getting in!
Good Luck!

If you were able to get a good DAT score you'd be a solid applicant

Just did the video interview. If you haven't done the practice questions yet, they'll give you a question, you'll have 30 seconds to think of your answer, and then 1 minute to reply. I won't reveal the questions to be fair.

I personally thought that the video interview was more chill than I thought. That being said, I don't know how much it will affect us in the long-run. Anyway, just take a deep breath and answer honestly. For goodness sake it's due tomorrow. Good luck!

How did you dress, if you don't mind me asking? Formal, business casual, etc. Thanks!

OOS
18 AA 17 TS
Solid leadership
900+ hours of Volunteer
Thank you!
UDM's website says that their minimum is a 19 in all sections on the DAT. I got a 17 in the QR and emailed Dr. Parent about it and he told me they look at the whole application and to go ahead and apply, and I've been invited to interview, but I doubt they'll look very seriously at any applicant with an overall score or scores in most sections under a 19, that's the easiest way for them to filter candidates. If you can get above 19 in every section on your retake, you'll probably have a good chance, but if you have a couple 17s or 18s you won't be super competitive, at least at UDM.

UDM's website says that their minimum is a 19 in all sections on the DAT. I got a 17 in the QR and emailed Dr. Parent about it and he told me they look at the whole application and to go ahead and apply, and I've been invited to interview, but I doubt they'll look very seriously at any applicant with an overall score or scores in most sections under a 19, that's the easiest way for them to filter candidates. If you can get above 19 in every section on your retake, you'll probably have a good chance, but if you have a couple 17s or 18s you won't be super competitive, at least at UDM.
Wow thanks so much for the feedback, hopefully the give me a chance and let's see how my retake plays out!

Is there any ethical question on the video interview? I am not asking the question.

Will anyone be wearing headphones when they answer the questions or will it seem unprofessional? I want to have good sound quality vs using the built in speaker of my MacBook which may not sound as clear.
I used headphones, otherwise I would not be able to complete that interview.

I used headphones, otherwise I would not be able to complete that interview.

I ended up not using headphones, the sound quality wasn't Dolby surround sound, but it was decent.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that have done the kira video interview, when did you guys receive the email for that? I got the invitation for the interview on the 7th then got my confirmation date two days later but I still haven't gotten the email for the video interview.

For those of you that have done the kira video interview, when did you guys receive the email for that? I got the invitation for the interview on the 7th then got my confirmation date two days later but I still haven't gotten the email for the video interview.

Did you receive an email with the subject "You've been invited to an interview for The Class of 2022" ?

The day after the first e-mail was received and before confirmation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did you receive an email with the subject "You've been invited to an interview for The Class of 2022" ?
No I only received one email "Interview Invitation" which said that I should be getting the "You been invited for an interview for the Class of 2022" email but I never got that one

No I only received one email "Interview Invitation" which said that I should be getting the "You been invited for an interview for the Class of 2022" email but I never got that one

Call them ASAP and let them know. They might reschedule your interview date thinking that you failed to do the online interview within 7 days.

I just finished my video interview- just a heads up- the current questions are different than the ones Brother Gob posted earlier (they're probably changing them depending on what your interview date i--but what he posted are good practice questions!) I didn't finish typing my written response (had two words left.... so be careful with timing with that!) Overall, it wasn't my best but definitely not horrible! Good luck to everyone else interviewing! :)

Also side note: I have a 9/16 interview date- so if anyone has the same date wants to talk I'll be more than willing to!

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished my video interview- just a heads up- the current questions are different than the ones Brother Gob posted earlier (they're probably changing them depending on what your interview date i--but what he posted are good practice questions!) I didn't finish typing my written response (had two words left.... so be careful with timing with that!) Overall, it wasn't my best but definitely not horrible! Good luck to everyone else interviewing! :)

Also side note: I have a 9/16 interview date- so if anyone has the same date wants to talk I'll be more than willing to!

Lmao I'm pretty sure he was trolling...

Reactions: 2 users

lol same on the writing. I had one word left in my conclusion sentence, made a typo and fixed it, and ran out of time halfway through. Other than that though, it wasn't challenging. The video questions were straight forward and if you've given serious thought as to why you want to go to dental school, researched what the environment will be like, etc. you'll have absolutely no problem answering them. I also have a 9/16 date, good luck!

I'm interviewing on Sept 16th but if anyone wants to grab dinner or meet up on the 15th I'm down!

My interview starts at 8am. What would be a safe departure time for my return flight from DTW airport?

U can pay the supplemental with a credit card or it has to be a check or money order???

My interview starts at 8am. What would be a safe departure time for my return flight from DTW airport?
Majority of the time, the interview day last approximately 5 hours.
To be safe -- 7pm. But I have seen people catch flights right after their interview (3-5).

Got my invitation via email !

My first interview invite, very excited to say the least.

Last edited:
Interview Invite!!!!

via email @ 1:18 pm

I have a question I checked my spam for the recorded online questions there was 2 reminder but I am not able to check in when I clicked anyone has the same issue ? And moreover do we have to access microphone or we can do answer questions without it as well. Answers appreciated

I have a question I checked my spam for the recorded online questions there was 2 reminder but I am not able to check in when I clicked anyone has the same issue ? And moreover do we have to access microphone or we can do answer questions without it as well. Answers appreciated

I would maybe call UDM, and you need to answer the questions with a working microphone! Hope this helps.

I received an email for interview yesterday and still didnt receive an appt confirmation or the video interview email! When should I recieve them both? Also, should I do the background check now or wait till I receieve a confirmation email?

I would maybe call UDM, and you need to answer the questions with a working microphone! Hope this helps.

What do you mean by use a mic? I Just spoke into my laptop.

Last edited:
On the AADSAS app in the questions tab, why do they ask if "Do you identify as Middle Eastern or North African?"

On the AADSAS app in the questions tab, why do they ask if "Do you identify as Middle Eastern or North African?"
They asked that? I'm Egyptian.... so I'm both?

Yes they did!! I'm Palestinian, I'm just wondering if that would affect my app?
I dont think so! I think diversity is good esp here. Have you submitted your app yet?

Got my invitation via email !

My first interview invite, very excited to say the least.
Did you get your confirmation email for the interview yet or the video interview email?

I am going to send in my supplemental tomorrow, hoping for an interview!
U got this! I wish u the best and hope to meet you during interviews :)

Does anyone know if UDM waives supplemental apps if we were approved for the FAP assistance? Wondering since we have to send in a 2x2 photo anyways.

Lol yeah I'm kinda nervous, but I just did Nova so the fear of being interviewed is a little less now. Im sure we'll be ok :) just show them your Egyptian side
Thats really good! How many interviews do you have so far?
I hope so! I really want to just get all of this over with :inpain:
Hahaha which side exactly?

Just these two so far. Happy with them though :) do your best and let fate take its course.
Lol the side where you bargain with them. Try bargaining for a lower tuition price while you're there.
Thats really good. I wish u the best. Where r u from btw? Are u closer to michigan or florida?
Hahahaha oh the egyptian hustler side. My favorite :laugh: I wish! Thinking of all the loans Im gonna be taking out is giving me nightmares lol

Did you get your confirmation email for the interview yet or the video interview email?
No not yet, I sent my appointment scheduling email in the afternoon. Hopefully the confirmation comes soon.

Is anyone using priceline to book and bet on their hotel (specifically Canadians)? So far I'm not exactly finding the best prices using sites like trivago.

I actually got my interview invite before my AADSAS app was completed (was waiting for committee evals to be submitted). But I got confirmation emails from both after emailing the UDM rep that was stated in the email. Scheduled for Sept 16!

I actually got my interview invite before my AADSAS app was completed (was waiting for committee evals to be submitted). But I got confirmation emails from both after emailing the UDM rep that was stated in the email. Scheduled for Sept 16!

Did you do the video interview yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.