THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

I am looking to start the Chem II Chemistry 1011 Lecture and Lab and was wondering if anyone has the week by week syllabus? I just want to know the extent of chapters covered etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone successfully taken Chem 1 or Biol 1 in a single month? I'm thinking of taking it during winter semester break. I ask only because I've never taken any science course in a single month.

Has anyone ever considered the online courses at University of Rochester School of Nursing? Looks similar to UNE but significantly cheaper

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to re-take my Organic Chemistry course. I did it with Manyan and did awesome with the labs and quizzes, but did not do so well on the final. It looks like Ellerbe is the only one teaching it for the rest of the year. Does anyone know how their courses differ?

What does thr OCHEM lab 1 comprise of? just quizzes? or is there a final for the lab? I'm starting the ochem 1 lab next week. pm me if you will be willing to assist and answer a few questions i'll have please

Hey everyone,

I'm currently taking the Medical General Chemistry 1 course and I am having trouble getting ready for the mid term. Is their any suggestions for studying or having things ready for the test. I know it is open book but in my past experience open book means the problems are that much harder. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone,

I'm currently taking the Medical General Chemistry 1 course and I am having trouble getting ready for the mid term. Is their any suggestions for studying or having things ready for the test. I know it is open book but in my past experience open book means the problems are that much harder. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I just finished the General Chem I 1010 course on the 11th and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was taking another course (an accelerated 6-week class) at the same time, so I really neglected the chem until I realized I had less than half the "semester" left to finish everything! Unfortunately that meant that I did not properly prepare for the midterm, so I really can't give you good studying suggestions there.

From my experience, the powerpoint "lectures" did not help me understand much at all. The professor was basically just reading the textbook and using the exact same examples. The best resources I found were khan academy and the crash course chemistry videos on youtube. They helped to break down the big concepts into more easily digestible material so I had a basic understanding of what on earth the textbook was talking about. I think it is worth a shot to watch those videos first, then try the info in the textbook and practice problems.

As for the exams themselves - many of the problems are similar to those in the weekly quizzes. Also, you have enough time to look things up in the textbook. If I got stumped, I'd look up the keyword in the index and read through the correlating info in the book. (Sometimes it was even word-for-word the same sentence.) The worst thing about the exam is that they don't tell you what you got wrong, so you can't even work on your understanding for the final.

Side note - make sure you're acing those quizzes and discussions. 10 points doesn't seem like much, but it bumped my grade from an A- to an A in the end, so don't blow them off!

Organic Chemistry 1020 with Professor Mayan (June 2017-October 2017)
I finally finished my class with a B. I will say that I only got it due to the curve at the end and working through the problems in the chapters. I made the worst mistake of trying to study for the MCAT, take this class, and move across the country all at the same time. Worst mistake of my life, but I think I still got a pretty decent grade with all things considered. I also waited until September to start studying for the course, so that took a toll as well.

First Half and Midterm
The first half was slightly difficult, but manageable. I did the best on this part of the course. I read the chapters and did the homework for each. The book explained the concepts very well in my opinion and it helped me to connect together a lot of info I came across when I studied for the chem/phys section of the MCAT. I did okay on the midterm. I did not take as many notes, so I mostly used my book and printed out quizzes for this part and took other posters' advice on skipping the lectures.

Second Half and Final
The second half was so much more difficult for me. There were so many different reactions with each functional group. I felt overwhelmed! I was working full time and trying to finish up the second half in the only three-ish weeks that I had left. I definitely recommend making a quick reference/glossary of each functional group with its reactions and the substances used in the reactions. It would have saved me so much time and I would have had much more points if I would have consolidated all of it together. Plus, a much more in-depth understanding and more practice would have helped me as well, but that is neither here nor there now. For the exam, I had my notes, my book, printed quizzes, and a word document that I printed out with tidbits I found helpful from stuff I found online while studying and doing the homework. My book was my best resource but it also took more time away from me. I created a table of contents for the midterm and final to help me quickly find certain topics in the book during the test.

Biggest Takeaway
The class was much more difficult than the second semester of organic chem through UNE. I took this class before at my institution, but I did horribly due to missing class from the medical issues I was having at the time. I am glad I took it again through UNE and got a much better understanding of the material. I think the book was wonderful and definitely helped me a lot. I hope I helped answer at least a few people's questions they may have had about the course. I definitely recommend Chegg to help with studying. It had the answers to the book's homework and explanations for the answers, which helped me check my answers and understand why I missed it. It is also helpful with the quizzes.

Reactions: 1 users
Organic Chemistry 1020 with Professor Mayan (June 2017-October 2017)
I finally finished my class with a B. I will say that I only got it due to the curve at the end and working through the problems in the chapters. I made the worst mistake of trying to study for the MCAT, take this class, and move across the country all at the same time. Worst mistake of my life, but I think I still got a pretty decent grade with all things considered. I also waited until September to start studying for the course, so that took a toll as well.

First Half and Midterm
The first half was slightly difficult, but manageable. I did the best on this part of the course. I read the chapters and did the homework for each. The book explained the concepts very well in my opinion and it helped me to connect together a lot of info I came across when I studied for the chem/phys section of the MCAT. I did okay on the midterm. I did not take as many notes, so I mostly used my book and printed out quizzes for this part and took other posters' advice on skipping the lectures.

Second Half and Final
The second half was so much more difficult for me. There were so many different reactions with each functional group. I felt overwhelmed! I was working full time and trying to finish up the second half in the only three-ish weeks that I had left. I definitely recommend making a quick reference/glossary of each functional group with its reactions and the substances used in the reactions. It would have saved me so much time and I would have had much more points if I would have consolidated all of it together. Plus, a much more in-depth understanding and more practice would have helped me as well, but that is neither here nor there now. For the exam, I had my notes, my book, printed quizzes, and a word document that I printed out with tidbits I found helpful from stuff I found online while studying and doing the homework. My book was my best resource but it also took more time away from me. I created a table of contents for the midterm and final to help me quickly find certain topics in the book during the test.

Biggest Takeaway
The class was much more difficult than the second semester of organic chem through UNE. I took this class before at my institution, but I did horribly due to missing class from the medical issues I was having at the time. I am glad I took it again through UNE and got a much better understanding of the material. I think the book was wonderful and definitely helped me a lot. I hope I helped answer at least a few people's questions they may have had about the course. I definitely recommend Chegg to help with studying. It had the answers to the book's homework and explanations for the answers, which helped me check my answers and understand why I missed it. It is also helpful with the quizzes.

I just finished my final yesterday. Did you have to email him to let him know that you finished the course? Also, how long did it take for him to notify you of your grade? I sent him a message through blackboard letting him know that I finished. I'm wondering if I should've emailed him through the une student email instead.

I just finished my final yesterday. Did you have to email him to let him know that you finished the course? Also, how long did it take for him to notify you of your grade? I sent him a message through blackboard letting him know that I finished. I'm wondering if I should've emailed him through the une student email instead.
I didn’t email him. I’m not sure when he sent the message with my final grade. I would have to log back in and check the date. I checked my messages a week after I took the final exam and saw the grade.

I just finished the General Chem I 1010 course on the 11th and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was taking another course (an accelerated 6-week class) at the same time, so I really neglected the chem until I realized I had less than half the "semester" left to finish everything! Unfortunately that meant that I did not properly prepare for the midterm, so I really can't give you good studying suggestions there.

From my experience, the powerpoint "lectures" did not help me understand much at all. The professor was basically just reading the textbook and using the exact same examples. The best resources I found were khan academy and the crash course chemistry videos on youtube. They helped to break down the big concepts into more easily digestible material so I had a basic understanding of what on earth the textbook was talking about. I think it is worth a shot to watch those videos first, then try the info in the textbook and practice problems.

As for the exams themselves - many of the problems are similar to those in the weekly quizzes. Also, you have enough time to look things up in the textbook. If I got stumped, I'd look up the keyword in the index and read through the correlating info in the book. (Sometimes it was even word-for-word the same sentence.) The worst thing about the exam is that they don't tell you what you got wrong, so you can't even work on your understanding for the final.

Side note - make sure you're acing those quizzes and discussions. 10 points doesn't seem like much, but it bumped my grade from an A- to an A in the end, so don't blow them off!

Thanks so much for replying I really appreciate it! I will definiley go over the crash courses on youtube, I was mainly afraid I wouldn't have enought time to look things up. I'm definiltey not the best with chem so I'm really relying on being able to use the book and all the example problems.

I've checked with NYIT and they accept online courses for pre-reqs but your bachelors degree must primarily be in person.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone taken UNE O Chem with Edmund Klinkerch? Can anyone provide insight on how he runs/operates and how interactive he is in answer questions about the course.

Has anyone taken the physics II course? Do you have any of the lab stuff for sale?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there starting online biochemistry (CHEM 1005) tomorrow any tips/tricks?

Hey all,
Someone once mentioned having an extra lab paq for the chem 2 course (unopened and unregistered with UNE). If anyone still has that, please PM me!! I am about to purchase mine but thought I would check here just in case

Hi Guys!

I just finished UNE OCHEM 1020 with Dr. Manyan. The class was not so difficult compared to the on-campus OCHEM class I took. You can definitely complete the class in 4-5 weeks. Therefore I think it was manageable. The main issue was the time to complete the mid term and the final. I received 90+ on the final. If you guys need any help for knowing the maps and materials I used, then be sure to DM me.

Can you elaborate, please?

I studied using the maps made by me and by doing practice problems from the book. Regardless I felt like there wasn't enough time to complete the exams. The questions were like either you know them or you don't. My notes really helped me. (they saved me)

Hi everyone! I'm not sure I'm using this right but wanted to post a new thread. Question about non-major science courses vs. science major science courses. I took a general chem and o chem course for nursing/nutrition students in undergrad and am looking to take the "second level" of each course through UNE (Medical Gen Chem II and O Chem II). Has anyone "switched" between non-science major and science major science courses? Is this feasible through UNE's prereq courses? I have already taken many biology courses, biochemistry, physics, and my MCATs, so I feel I am well on my way. I'm very self motivated to get these done. Thanks!

Hello!!

I'm registering for Orgo II with a lab through UNE this spring and was wondering if there is one ideal professor to take this course with. I signed up with Rebecca Rowe, but she seems to get overwhelmingly negative reviews and I have time to switch. Here is who's teaching Orgo II this spring:

Rowe, Rebecca
Theberge, Cory
Klinkerch, Edmund
Gianatassio, Ryan

Does anyone recommend one of these professors? Honestly, I'm looking for the easiest A I can get as I've already been accepted and this is just the last hoop to jump through. Any advice on the class would also be helpful.

Hi Guys!

I just finished UNE OCHEM 1020 with Dr. Manyan. The class was not so difficult compared to the on-campus OCHEM class I took. You can definitely complete the class in 4-5 weeks. Therefore I think it was manageable. The main issue was the time to complete the mid term and the final. I received 90+ on the final. If you guys need any help for knowing the maps and materials I used, then be sure to DM me.

Hey can you please tell me how the proctoring situation was were they staring at you with hawk eyes did they ask for id and was there any other good professor you recommend to take was there a final curve since you feel you didn't answer all the questions or did you answer all of them? Is this a fair class like if you put in the work will you get an A?

Hey can you please tell me how the proctoring situation was were they staring at you with hawk eyes did they ask for id and was there any other good professor you recommend to take was there a final curve since you feel you didn't answer all the questions or did you answer all of them? Is this a fair class like if you put in the work will you get an A?
They pause their video feed so you don't know if they are staring at you or on their phone. Yes, they ask for ID.

Hey Everyone,

Who's the best professor to take Orgo 1 with? I'm not good in chemistry nor do I like the subject. I got two C+'s in Gen Chem 1 and 2 so I really need to get an A. I'm planning on using Summer 2018 to take it.

Dr. Ellerbe was great when I took it last fall.

I will warn you, though, that an A will be tough to pull off if you struggled in Gen Chem. UNE’s Orgo 1 is difficult. The good news is that their Orgo 2 is a cakewalk compared to Orgo 1.

The C+'s were my grade without a curve to help me at my school (regular in-class lecture style). Are there curves that help bump grades up? Are there good chances for a bare minimum of a B (3.0)?

My grade curved to an A, which would have been impossible to achieve pre-curve. If you work hard and take your time I think an A is doable, definitely a B.

I am about to sign up for gen chem II.

Can anyone give me some details about their experience in this course (i.e., curves, open book tests, hard?, best prof, etc,).

Also, if anyone knows of a better place to take this course online do share!!!

TIA!

Hello everyone,

Has anybody recently taken the CHEM 1010 Lab final, does it ask questions about the objectives, is the test composed of the quizzes? Please and thank you. I just finished the lecture portion so for those who would like some tips, hit me up I will be more than happy to help.

Hi there I am currently enrolled in both the lecture and lab. I have no idea what to expect. Math and chemistry are definitely not my strong pursuit. I am finding myself having a very hard time. How are the exams? Are they derived from the weekly quizzes. I hope to hear from you soon as I am freaking out.

Hi all,

I'm going to be taking OCHEM II in February from Edmund. Can anyone give me any insight as to how he runs his lecture and lab? I took OCHEM I from Manyan, are the courses pretty similar in terms of quizzes and lab work? Was the course curved at the end? I did well in OCHEM I and am disappointed that Manyan doesn't run the second portion. Any other tips and advice on Edmunds course would be greatly appreciated as well.
Thank you!

Hi there I am currently enrolled in both the lecture and lab. I have no idea what to expect. Math and chemistry are definitely not my strong pursuit. I am finding myself having a very hard time. How are the exams? Are they derived from the weekly quizzes. I hope to hear from you soon as I am freaking out.

Hey if you need LabPaq, I'm selling it! Let me know!

Selling my Labpaq for anyone taking Chemistry at UNE! It's new and hasn't even been opened. Message me!

There is no financial aid available through the University -- I took out personal school loans through Discover.
that's not fair, they should at least provide financial aid if there is no need-based scholarship

Hello everyone. I need to take Anatomy, Physiology, Genetics, Microbiology and Organic Chemistry all online. I wanted to sign up for them all at the same time. I am not working and will be able to dedicate time. I also am not taking any other courses at this time. Does anyone have any thoughts about this. I already have a Masters degree (in Education) but God is pushing me in a new direction. I have to complete these pre-reqs and take my GRE to apply for the PA program. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Can anyone shed light on how long it takes to see your final grade posted after you take the final?

Hello everyone. I need to take Anatomy, Physiology, Genetics, Microbiology and Organic Chemistry all online. I wanted to sign up for them all at the same time. I am not working and will be able to dedicate time. I also am not taking any other courses at this time. Does anyone have any thoughts about this. I already have a Masters degree (in Education) but God is pushing me in a new direction. I have to complete these pre-reqs and take my GRE to apply for the PA program. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
You'd really have to hate yourself to do that. It's doable because you can honestly finish a course in a month if you wanted to (personal experience), but to have to sit through so many online lectures for 5 months straight everyday...no thx jeff.

Can anyone shed light on how long it takes to see your final grade posted after you take the final?
The next morning. I emailed my professor after I finished so I'm not sure if that contributed to the fast grade posting.

I'm currently taking the Medical Biochemistry I course, and I have to say so far it is really disappointing. The lectures done by Le Claire are so sloppy; she randomly pauses constantly like she needs to read what she is saying next, the slides have errors or Le Claire says the wrong thing and it isn't corrected; overall it's just poor quality. The course also utilizes BlackBoard, which I'm not a huge fan of because it is formatted awkwardly. I'm taking this class online because I work full-time and didn't have a choice, and from what I've read it is one of the best options if you must take biochem online, but just be prepared to be underwhelmed. I was hoping for something more like my Kaplan MCAT class online experience, but this is not even half as good as that.

Organic Chemistry 1021 with Rebecca Rowe (April 2017-August 2017)
I finally finished my class with a B+. I wish I would have gotten an A, but I do not mind this grade at all considering the alternative. I took almost the entire allotted time to finish the class since I had other classes I was doing, working, and I have two kids to take care of. You definitely can finish the class a lot more quickly than did.

First Half and Midterm
The first half was much more difficult than the second half, but still very manageable. I did okay on the midterm, but I got mostly 100's on the quizzes (thank you internet and Chegg) which kept my grade afloat. I highly recommend getting a good grasp of Proton NMR, chemical shifts, signals, etc. before taking the midterm. I watched the lectures and took notes on them. Then, I went over each module's objectives and made sure I could answer them in order to study for the midterm. Anything I did not understand, I supplemented with Khan Academy videos which explain the concepts so well and made it a thousand times easier to understand. I printed out all of the quizzes and it definitely helped me with some of the questions on the exam.

Second Half and Midterm
The second half was easier to me and I went through it a lot more quickly due to personal deadlines I put on myself for completing the class. It is mostly biochem concepts. Instead of going through the lectures and the studying. I went straight to copying down the learning objectives for each module and answering them as I went through the lecture videos and skimming the book as I went along. I got a B on the final and was very proud. You could find most of the answers in the book, so I definitely recommend making a list of the concepts with their page numbers. It makes it easier to find/check your answers that way. I found myself not really using my printed out quizzes ior notes as much when doing this exam. I mostly looked in the book to help me.

Biggest Takeaway
I did not find the class difficult. I learned a lot from it and it has definitely helped me in my studying for the MCAT. I hope this helped someone. I know a lot of the reviews for the classes on this thread helped me tremendously (especially love2hunt's reviews), so I thought I would pay it forward and do the same.

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking into this course. Does anyone have the ORGO 2 textbook (ebook)? Any recommendations on ebook vs textbook?

Last edited:
ORGO 2 (CHEM 1021)

Hey all,
There seems to be some new profs teaching organic 2. Any word on these people? I know Rowe was the previous teacher.

Gianatassio, Ryan
Theberge, Cory
Klinkerch, Edmund

Hey all,
Just finished the Medical Chem II or 1011 if anyone has any questions. I also have a brand new labpaq unopened and unused (and all the lab instructions/data tables/analyses) if anyone needs it. From HOL science its $255 + $20 for shipping :inpain:

You'd really have to hate yourself to do that. It's doable because you can honestly finish a course in a month if you wanted to (personal experience), but to have to sit through so many online lectures for 5 months straight everyday...no thx jeff.

The next morning. I emailed my professor after I finished so I'm not sure if that contributed to the fast grade posting.

I'm currently in the Organic Chem 1 course online at UNE and preparing for the midterm. Can anyone elaborate on ProctorU? I know we're allowed to use books and notes but can the notes be printed material or must everything be handwritten? Are we required to show ProctorU what material and resources we are using for the open notes? Also, does anyone know if the grade is still curved in the end? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Check the Week 8 tab for details on the midterm and what you are allowed, etc.
For Medical Chem I and II the midterms and finals allowed the textbook, a calculator, and handwritten or typed notes. No electronic tablets/phones. The process for ProctorU is kind of annoying but they authenticate your identity, then give you all the rules, then secure your computer and area. This means they check your settings to make sure there's no additional monitors, check your tabs to make sure you are only logged into your proctorU account, etc. They then ask you to show them all four walls of the room, the ceiling, under the desk, and the desk. They ask you to show them your cell phone and place it across the room while they observe. They will ask you to kind of fan through all your papers (probably to make sure there's no tablet or cellphone in there). They will also ask you to hold up a mirror or reflective CD back to show them all the edges of the computer and laptop.

It can be time consuming when you are eager to get the test going, but it's nothing too terrible. The only time I was questioned while testing was when a new proctor logged in and didn't realize I was allowed to use notes, so he was concerned when I kept looking to the side of the laptop. He asked to see what was over there haha but other than that, no issues!

I'm currently in the Organic Chem 1 course online at UNE and preparing for the midterm. Can anyone elaborate on ProctorU? I know we're allowed to use books and notes but can the notes be printed material or must everything be handwritten? Are we required to show ProctorU what material and resources we are using for the open notes? Also, does anyone know if the grade is still curved in the end? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

How did your midterm go? I just finished Chem I and II through UNE and all I have left to take would be the Orgo I lecture (no lab necessary).

I am looking for any feedback from anyone about difficulty level of exams/quizzes/discussions. For Chem I and II, I don't think the professor even read the discussions, and we had 3 hours to complete 50 questions on the midterms and finals with open books and notes.. I know a lot of people on here mentioned that this Organic I course seems tougher than anywhere else, so I'm a bit worried that my experience with a very laid-back Chem I and II has put me at a disadvantage..
(Also wondering if the new instructor for orgo II is also teaching orgo I, since one person mentioned they are a lot tougher on grading.)
I could take the course at a local community college, but would have to wait until the fall semester, which is pretty far off..
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Has anyone taken Physics II? If so, how long did it take you to complete?
Id like to take it over the summer but:

I work FT and the university that I am at only offers physics II during the day. I'd like to try to complete it in about 5 weeks if possible. Thanks!

Does anyone know how quickly I can finish the Medical Biology course BIO 1010 and obtain the transcript if I start on March 7th? I need the official transcript before July. I have been conditionally accepted to medical school, but I need 4 more hours of biology to complete the prerequisite for matriculation

Anybody have any success stories about getting accepted to MD programs taking UNE online prereqs? I'm a non-trad, low GPA, but significant business experience and I'm thinking about this route to get pre-reqs to try my best at med school.

Anybody have any success stories about getting accepted to MD programs taking UNE online prereqs? I'm a non-trad, low GPA, but significant business experience and I'm thinking about this route to get pre-reqs to try my best at med school.

Just read through the older posts, a bunch of people have applied successfully and matriculated successfully with these courses.

I have a chem 1010 labpaq for sale if anyone wants to buy it please contact me! it is UNUSED!

In search of someone who's taken UNE BIOL 1030- Pathophysiology. I'm currently enrolled and getting close to the mid-term (getting a bit anxious). If this has already been posted, my apologies, I've spent some time searching and came up empty handed.

Who here has taken microbiology with professor m.farrell? How was the final in that class? planning to take this course.

EDITED BY MODS FOR COPYRIGHT.
I'm about to take my org1 midterm soon. I was curious about how the questions were.. were some of them from the quizzes? In the syllabus the professor mentioned that questions would be from the same test bank.. wondering what that means

Last edited by a moderator: