THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PS a new professor took over organic chemistry 2 and she grades the discussion posts extremely hard.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I am looking for anyone who has completed discussion post 12 in UNE online organic chemistry 2 AFTER July 1, 2017. I am curious on the grading, as I feel as thought the new professor graded me unfairly. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Also, I am curious if anyone has their notes from UNE biochemistry online? I have exams 2 and 4 left. Thanks!

Last edited:
I found the anatomy course to be somewhat difficult. It was medical school level gross anatomy, I don't know if people realize this, so yeah, it's going to be hard. I thought the practical exams were pretty easy though, it depends on if you have good photographic memory. Don't purchase the lab software they tell you to, all of the pics that they use for practicals are available for free on here Human Anatomy :) I thought the hardest exams were 2 & 3, with head & neck being the most difficult. I think Gray's Anatomy is the best med school anatomy textbook, but I didn't really read it, it's A LOT! I just memorized all of his notes and slides and I got an A. I definitely recommend this course if you're thinking about going to med school!
Did you find the end of module quiz questions to be representative of the test questions? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

I'm still scrolling through the pages to see if I can find anymore information about UNE's Microbiology (Lecture) or Pathophysiology course.

Any input would be greatly appreciated ! It seems like not many people have responded to members in the past who have also posted about these two courses.

Has anyone retaken an exam in UNE biochemistry online? Was the retake the same as the original exam?!

I am currently taking biochemistry with Pitcairn. I was wondering how difficuult the proctored final was. What are the questions based on? Are there a lot of questions that are from previous quizzes, or are they all new? What would be good to study?

So I wanted to give an update as to my experience so far. I have taken Medical Chemistry 1 (1010 both the lab and the lecture) and Medical Chemistry 2 ( 1011 also both the lecture and the lab) and I have found that the lecture really follows the instructors materials and everything given the labs on the other hand, the modules follow the experiments, however the final lab exams in both are quite askew. The problems are very surprising and make you go huh in many aspects. I will have to repeat the first lab (Medical Chemistry 1) for the third time because for the first time I got a C- on the lab and I know that many universities do not accept C-s in their med schools, although Dr. Rowe said UNE does. This is the first time where I took a class where the lab grade was separate from the lecture.

Hello everyone, I was hoping someone can shed some light on how to best prepare for the O Chem Midterm. I am slowly going through the material and slowly chugging along. For those who have taken OChem with UNE, did you find that questions were straight forward, or do the questions tend to be tricky and missleading? I am doing the problems at end of each section and also plan to do the problems at the end of the chapter as I get closer to the test. Anyone know of good practice tests that I can take outside of the course material that would help me prepare for the test? Thank you.

Hello everyone, I was hoping someone can shed some light on how to best prepare for the O Chem Midterm. I am slowly going through the material and slowly chugging along. For those who have taken OChem with UNE, did you find that questions were straight forward, or do the questions tend to be tricky and missleading? I am doing the problems at end of each section and also plan to do the problems at the end of the chapter as I get closer to the test. Anyone know of good practice tests that I can take outside of the course material that would help me prepare for the test? Thank you.

Hi there, I finished Ochem I with Dr. Ellerbe a month or so ago. I found the midterm/final very well mimicked the blackboard chapter quizzes. The quizzes themselves do not comprehensively cover midterm/final material (how could they since there are only 10/chapter) but they do a good job displaying the question difficulty level for exams. I found the exam questions to be fair overall. Sometimes the notation was different from the chapter though. I remember a few exam questions about Fischer projections with notation not covered in the book or lecture.

More importantly is how accurately the quizzes reflect exams, timing wise. Hitting a consistent 8 to 9 out of 10 on quizzes within 25 mins means you are adequately prepared for exams in the course. Go back and rework as needed to really understand concepts and you will do well. It took me a while to figure out how to most efficiently study but I managed an A (after curve) in the end.

Last edited:
Hi there, I finished Ochem I with Dr. Ellerbe a month or so ago. I found the midterm/final very well mimicked the blackboard chapter quizzes. The quizzes themselves do not comprehensively cover midterm/final material (how could they since there are only 10/chapter) but they do a good job displaying the question difficulty level for exams. I found the exam questions to be fair overall. Sometimes the notation was different from the chapter though. I remember a few exam questions about Fischer projections with notation not covered in the book or lecture.

More importantly is how accurately the quizzes reflect exams, timing wise. Hitting a consistent 8 to 9 out of 10 on quizzes within 25 mins means you are adequately prepared for exams in the course. Go back and rework as needed to really understand concepts and you will do well. It took me a while to figure out how to most efficiently study but I managed an A (after curve) in the end.

Great stuff Thisisvj89! I am taking this course with Manyaan and he is the professor in the lecture videos. I hope it's the same course material since I know UNE has its teachers share the material amongst same classes. So far it seems pretty clear cut. I didn't care for the lab much, the interface was pretty bad and it took forever just to figure out how to run it. Also, the first lab material was not covered under chapter 1 so I had to struggle to get to the bottom line. Things like that make me wonder how the midterm/final will be if there is a clear miss match of what is taught and what is being tested. I am specifically talking about the lab in this instance but I've seen inaccuracies within the UNE classes before. I am just worried that I'll be fighting the issues with that not to mention the difficulty of the class to begin with. I haven't asked my instructor if he curves, but it would be a huge help. Thanks again for your response!!

Great stuff Thisisvj89! I am taking this course with Manyaan and he is the professor in the lecture videos. I hope it's the same course material since I know UNE has its teachers share the material amongst same classes. So far it seems pretty clear cut. I didn't care for the lab much, the interface was pretty bad and it took forever just to figure out how to run it. Also, the first lab material was not covered under chapter 1 so I had to struggle to get to the bottom line. Things like that make me wonder how the midterm/final will be if there is a clear miss match of what is taught and what is being tested. I am specifically talking about the lab in this instance but I've seen inaccuracies within the UNE classes before. I am just worried that I'll be fighting the issues with that not to mention the difficulty of the class to begin with. I haven't asked my instructor if he curves, but it would be a huge help. Thanks again for your response!!

That's funny, I signed up with him since he's the head of the department or something. Yet I wound up with Dr. Ellerbe facilitating seemingly all his material. The lab portion for my class definitely needed some work...I remember getting something like a 60% on one of those lab quizzes, which did real damage to the overall A potential. As for the lab material appearing on the midterm/final, it may but only if it was covered well in the text. Maybe a question here or there will be a gimme if you have memorized every lecture slide and lab, but thoroughly understanding the book chapters is what I would recommend.

On a side note, the whole point of this course for me at least was to 1) fulfill premed req's and 2) begin learning what the MCAT demands. You get into reaction mechanisms after the midterm (Sn2/E2 vs. Sn1/E1). Really spend the time to learn them and differentiate between when they occur. They seem to be dominating ochem MCAT topics from what review content I have seen so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I won't be taking UNE's Organic Chem 1 till next Fall, but I already found an online tutor who specializes in that exact course and has testimonials of most of her students receiving all B's and A's with her help.

Could you share? I a non-traditional student and its been eons since I took Organic Chem I and need to review before I take Organic Chem II.

If anyone has take Ochem II recently, would you mind sharing the detailed syllabus? The generic syllabus shows the following + 3 discussion posts throughout the course.

For those who took Ochem I and II with UNE without previous exposure to organic chemistry--would you mind commenting on the difficulty of Ochem II vs. I? I probably spent 20+ hrs studying each week during Ochem I until finding the most efficient studying techniques. I was then able to bump down to maybe 12-15 hrs. Managed an A after curve but getting a heads up on what I'm in for this time around would be nice!

Week 1 - Unknown (Ochem I review?)
Week 2 - Unknown (Ochem I review?)
Week 3 - Carey Supplement (Biochemistry ch 13)
Week 4 - Carey Supplement (Biochemistry ch 13)
Week 5 - Carey Supplement (Biochemistry ch 13)
Week 6 - Carey Supplement (Biochemistry ch 13) + Lab 1
Week 7 - Lecture Midterm Exam
Week 8 - Denniston ch 16 + Lab 2
Week 9 - Denniston ch 17 + Lab 3
Week 10 - Denniston ch 18 + Lab 4
Week 11 - Denniston ch 19 + Lab 5
Week 12 - Denniston ch 20 + Lab 6
Week 13 - Denniston ch 21 + Lab 7
Week 14 - Denniston ch 22 + Lab 8
Week 15 - Denniston ch 23 + Lab 9
Week 16 - Lecture + Lab Final Exams

I need to re-take my Organic Chemistry course. I did it with Manyan and did awesome with the labs and quizzes, but did not do so well on the final. It looks like Ellerbe is the only one teaching it for the rest of the year. Does anyone know how their courses differ?

Does anyone know how much of a curve there is for Organic chem II? I calculated my grade and have about an 86-87% in the course, pending one last grade on discussion posts. What final grade should I expect?

If anyone has take Ochem II recently, would you mind sharing the detailed syllabus? The generic syllabus shows the following + 3 discussion posts throughout the course.

For those who took Ochem I and II with UNE without previous exposure to organic chemistry--would you mind commenting on the difficulty of Ochem II vs. I? I probably spent 20+ hrs studying each week during Ochem I until finding the most efficient studying techniques. I was then able to bump down to maybe 12-15 hrs. Managed an A after curve but getting a heads up on what I'm in for this time around would be nice!

Week 1 - Unknown (Ochem I review?)
Week 2 - Unknown (Ochem I review?)
Week 3 - Carey Supplement (Biochemistry ch 13)
Week 4 - Carey Supplement (Biochemistry ch 13)
Week 5 - Carey Supplement (Biochemistry ch 13)
Week 6 - Carey Supplement (Biochemistry ch 13) + Lab 1
Week 7 - Lecture Midterm Exam
Week 8 - Denniston ch 16 + Lab 2
Week 9 - Denniston ch 17 + Lab 3
Week 10 - Denniston ch 18 + Lab 4
Week 11 - Denniston ch 19 + Lab 5
Week 12 - Denniston ch 20 + Lab 6
Week 13 - Denniston ch 21 + Lab 7
Week 14 - Denniston ch 22 + Lab 8
Week 15 - Denniston ch 23 + Lab 9
Week 16 - Lecture + Lab Final Exams

Look up my review on this thread concerning Org 2. It should answer several of your questions.

UNE Org 2 is much, much easier than Org 1.

Does anyone know how much of a curve there is for Organic chem II? I calculated my grade and have about an 86-87% in the course, pending one last grade on discussion posts. What final grade should I expect?

There was no curve as of May 2017.

Has anyone taken the online Ochem 2 course midterm?

Unfortunately, I've fallen behind since I started this course mid April (ending August 9). I finished 6 modules way back when, have notes and homework printed, but feel like I've forgotten it. I am no longer working and am starting a post bacc in the fall and need to finish this course, preferably well.

Does anyone have any tips or insight on the Ochem 2 midterm? I feel like I don't fully understand IR spec and am pressed for time.

Thanks.

I finished up their "Medical General Chemistry II" course a few weeks back, and finally decided to share my thoughts on the course and the prof, I'll try to keep it concise.

I finished the course with an A, I started on May 19th and I took the final May 29th. The book, quizzes, and final were all very well done and about what you would expect from a genchem 2 course. The lectures and power point slides were useless, I stopped watching them after module 2. So in other words, everything that the author/publisher was responsible for was good, everything Rowe was responsible for was garbage.

I have taken two courses and a lab with Rowe and with each successive course I realize just how inept she is as a professor. In this case, she actually contradicted the book, her own lecture, and the laws of thermodynamics because she was too stubborn to admit she made a mistake when she entered the quiz from McGraw Hill's test bank into blackboard. (I actually found McGraw Hill's test bank online, so I know for a fact that THEY didn't mess it up.)

Rowe's terrible teaching aside, I would recommend the course to others as the book does quite a good job of covering the material, and the convenience of UNE is hard to beat, even though it's a bit pricey. The course follows the same format as the other chem courses they offer, 14 module quizzes are 30% of your grade and the final is 70% The lab (which I didn't take, it can be taken entirely independently) is graded based on the separate lab quizzes. Unlike the virtual lab used in the Ochem classes, this class requires you order a kit from a third party company, the kit runs a few hundred bucks so keep that in mind if you're considering this class.

I was just wondering how you studied for this course!

Has anyone taken the online Ochem 2 course midterm?

Unfortunately, I've fallen behind since I started this course mid April (ending August 9). I finished 6 modules way back when, have notes and homework printed, but feel like I've forgotten it. I am no longer working and am starting a post bacc in the fall and need to finish this course, preferably well.

Does anyone have any tips or insight on the Ochem 2 midterm? I feel like I don't fully understand IR spec and am pressed for time.

Thanks.
I'll be totally honest, I didn't approach this class from the right angle. I took all the quizzes pretty much back to back and relied on my open book and notes very heavily for the exams. That being said, I was still able to pull off a B+ (could've earned an A if I'd just bothered to actually learn the material). If you're good at looking up answers quickly using the textbook and have organised/labeled your notes in a way that allows you to find things fast, you'll be fine! I finished the class in about 6 weeks. Would have been less, but I took off 2 weeks to move cities and vacation with family.

Reactions: 3 users
I'll be totally honest, I didn't approach this class from the right angle. I took all the quizzes pretty much back to back and relied on my open book and notes very heavily for the exams. That being said, I was still able to pull off a B+ (could've earned an A if I'd just bothered to actually learn the material). If you're good at looking up answers quickly using the textbook and have organised/labeled your notes in a way that allows you to find things fast, you'll be fine! I finished the class in about 6 weeks. Would have been less, but I took off 2 weeks to move cities and vacation with family.

I can't imagine using this approach during Ochem I, even with an elaborate cheat sheet/label system. The exams really demanded an average of no more than a minute or two for each question, so really knowing the material was essential.

Are you able to comment on the time allowed for exams with Ochem II? Also, was that 6 weeks pure coursework or a fulltime job as well?

I can't imagine using this approach during Ochem I, even with an elaborate cheat sheet/label system. The exams really demanded an average of no more than a minute or two for each question, so really knowing the material was essential.

Are you able to comment on the time allowed for exams with Ochem II? Also, was that 6 weeks pure coursework or a fulltime job as well?

135 minutes for the midterm, which is enough time. I spent most of the time looking through the book and notes. Had about 45 minutes left to check over all of my answers, and trust me, I didn't have a grasp on any of the material. It's easier than expected, I would say. I'm not working or going to school, so looking to finish the latter 10 weeks of material this week and take the final next week.

Hi, did anyone actually read through the Denniston text when doing the biochem portion of the Ochem 2 class?

I'm wondering if I could get by just watching the lectures and working the assigned problems. Thanks.

ohh yeah I didn't take ochem I there, and the question was about ochem II so I just commented on that lol. 2 hours and 15 minutes per exam. I don't have a full time job, but I spent about 5-6 hours a week on average on the class.

Hi, did anyone actually read through the Denniston text when doing the biochem portion of the Ochem 2 class?

I'm wondering if I could get by just watching the lectures and working the assigned problems. Thanks.
I didn't read the book or watch videos for the second half of the class. I think if you just familiarize yourself by doing homework questions and use the index as a main source during the final, you'll do well!

Did the midterm and did better than expected, although I don't feel I had a grasp on the concepts and was shuffling through books/notes. However, does anyone remember how the final exam in OChem 2 was compared to the midterm?

That's funny, I signed up with him since he's the head of the department or something. Yet I wound up with Dr. Ellerbe facilitating seemingly all his material. The lab portion for my class definitely needed some work...I remember getting something like a 60% on one of those lab quizzes, which did real damage to the overall A potential. As for the lab material appearing on the midterm/final, it may but only if it was covered well in the text. Maybe a question here or there will be a gimme if you have memorized every lecture slide and lab, but thoroughly understanding the book chapters is what I would recommend.

On a side note, the whole point of this course for me at least was to 1) fulfill premed req's and 2) begin learning what the MCAT demands. You get into reaction mechanisms after the midterm (Sn2/E2 vs. Sn1/E1). Really spend the time to learn them and differentiate between when they occur. They seem to be dominating ochem MCAT topics from what review content I have seen so far.

Yeah man, I am approaching it the same way. I'm taking my time to really learn this before my MCAT next year. I like Manyaan so far, although I wanted to initially sign up with Ellerbe. Manyaan takes time to answer his emails and seems to want to help so I am pretty happy. I am taking your advice in doing as many problems as I can so it becomes second nature. Thanks again for feedback.

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone took the final exam for Organic Chemistry II and if they have notes, tips or pointers for how to successfully go over the second half of the material for Organic Chemistry II Final Exam? I took the Midterm and didn't do as well as I wanted to. I struggled with the NMR, IR, material a little bit. I know the final exam is not cumulative which gives me a little bit of relief regarding the final exam, however, I don't want to want to be under prepared for the final. Any advice or help you have is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone took the final exam for Organic Chemistry II and if they have notes, tips or pointers for how to successfully go over the second half of the material for Organic Chemistry II Final Exam? I took the Midterm and didn't do as well as I wanted to. I struggled with the NMR, IR, material a little bit. I know the final exam is not cumulative which gives me a little bit of relief regarding the final exam, however, I don't want to want to be under prepared for the final. Any advice or help you have is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

In the same boat and would appreciate any advice!

Organic Chemistry 1021 with Rebecca Rowe (April 2017-August 2017)
I finally finished my class with a B+. I wish I would have gotten an A, but I do not mind this grade at all considering the alternative. I took almost the entire allotted time to finish the class since I had other classes I was doing, working, and I have two kids to take care of. You definitely can finish the class a lot more quickly than did.

First Half and Midterm
The first half was much more difficult than the second half, but still very manageable. I did okay on the midterm, but I got mostly 100's on the quizzes (thank you internet and Chegg) which kept my grade afloat. I highly recommend getting a good grasp of Proton NMR, chemical shifts, signals, etc. before taking the midterm. I watched the lectures and took notes on them. Then, I went over each module's objectives and made sure I could answer them in order to study for the midterm. Anything I did not understand, I supplemented with Khan Academy videos which explain the concepts so well and made it a thousand times easier to understand. I printed out all of the quizzes and it definitely helped me with some of the questions on the exam.

Second Half and Midterm
The second half was easier to me and I went through it a lot more quickly due to personal deadlines I put on myself for completing the class. It is mostly biochem concepts. Instead of going through the lectures and the studying. I went straight to copying down the learning objectives for each module and answering them as I went through the lecture videos and skimming the book as I went along. I got a B on the final and was very proud. You could find most of the answers in the book, so I definitely recommend making a list of the concepts with their page numbers. It makes it easier to find/check your answers that way. I found myself not really using my printed out quizzes ior notes as much when doing this exam. I mostly looked in the book to help me.

Biggest Takeaway
I did not find the class difficult. I learned a lot from it and it has definitely helped me in my studying for the MCAT. I hope this helped someone. I know a lot of the reviews for the classes on this thread helped me tremendously (especially love2hunt's reviews), so I thought I would pay it forward and do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
UPDATE! *NORTH CAROLINA*

WVSOM accepts UNE online. They told me that they have no way to track if its in-person or online and will accept both.
UNC does NOT accept it.

Organic Chemistry 1021 with Rebecca Rowe (April 2017-August 2017) - Just the lecture component
I finished the course with an A-, and honestly, don't deserve that grade, even though I was stupidly close to getting an A. This is probably the easiest organic chemistry you will take in your life. I was working from April to July, and got into a SMP, so left my job in July. Poor time management on my part, but I spent was solid initially covering the first 6 weeks of material within the first 3-4 weeks. Due to the tedious application process and work, I was away from the course until literally the second week of July. I still did not stay disciplined week to week, since I was busy with other things. I ended up honestly finishing the second half of the course in two weeks.

Get a Chegg Subscription.

The lecturer teaching the course gets really old to listen to; she frequently mispronounces words and you can hear random sounds in the background. At times you question whether this is indeed an OChem professor.

However, I cannot gripe too much. I feel like I lucked out taking this course because this satisfies a requirement for a med school I'm trying to get into, and this schedule is not as suffocating as it could've been. Honestly, I don't know if this was an OChem 2 course. It's mainly lab techniques, tools for compound analysis, and biochemistry. The lecture component is a breeze.

First Half and Midterm

I would spend most of your study time in the first 6 weeks of the material. I did, and it paid off on the midterm, because I understood these things. It's somewhat debatable, but this may be the hardest portion of the course. I think once you get this out of the way, you should be fine the rest of the way. I scored a high B on the midterm. Rent the textbooks from Amazon. Mark the chapters by topic and use the index religiously during the midterm. I felt also that as gruesome they were to hear, the lecture slide printouts and your notes in the margins for these slides are helpful. This test was a hair bit harder than the final. With ample preparation, you will honestly have an hour left to go back over the entire test. I was able to fill out answers quickly and go back. Timing isn't too big of an issue.

Again, Chegg, the rental textbooks, the lecture slides, and the homework is your best friend for the first half of the course. And it's only 6 weeks. You can knock out two lectures per week!

Second Half and Final

I had three weeks left to finish the course because of other commitments and poor time management. I signed up for Chegg after the first midterm and breezed through the next 8 quizzes. One after the other. 100% on all of them. I did not listen to the lectures, I did not do the homework. All I did was print out the objectives for each lecture, and mark them in the Denniston text of where I could find that topic. Sticky note the Denniston text and place a bookmark in the index so you can flip back quickly for the final. I had less time, only 40 minutes to go back and answer the questions I had skipped. I did not prepare at all and if you are good with time management, I would strongly advise, as previously written, to understand the weekly objectives and do the homework problems. Use Khan Academy as an accessory tool. I scored a 94 on the final. Easier than the midterm, IMO.

Discussions
Go with the simplest molecules here. I don't know why people here are complaining about Dr. Rowe grading strictly. If you go with a simple molecule, thoroughly read the directions and answer each question and cite sources. Read the instructions carefully here and answer with simple compounds and you should get the full credit.

Biggest Takeaway

I was looking solely to meet the pre-med requirement and UNE Online is a lifesaver for that matter. This is not a heavy commitment, by any means. You should honestly look to finish this course in 8 weeks, max. Just get it out of the way. ProctorU is easy and accessible. The quizzes are a breeze. You should prepare somewhat before the exams, but having the hard copy of both books is absolutely necessary. I have never been so friendly with the index section my entire life. The study guide is not necessary. The discussions are easy, but follow instructions and be neat in how you organize and answer the question. Don't be ambiguous. There were so many students' assignments that were just messy and all over the place.

This course is not for those who want to learn and retain information for the long run, because unfortunately, I didn't grasp the material. I have taken Biochem and OChem 2 before so I had some background knowledge, but if this is your first time taking OChem2/Biochem, manage your time wisely, and do as the lecture materials say. As for now, take this easy opportunity while you have it.

There is no excuse for any student to score below a B. Message me if you have questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Organic Chemistry 1021 with Rebecca Rowe (April 2017-August 2017) - Just the lecture component
I finished the course with an A-, and honestly, don't deserve that grade, even though I was stupidly close to getting an A. This is probably the easiest organic chemistry you will take in your life. I was working from April to July, and got into a SMP, so left my job in July. Poor time management on my part, but I spent was solid initially covering the first 6 weeks of material within the first 3-4 weeks. Due to the tedious application process and work, I was away from the course until literally the second week of July. I still did not stay disciplined week to week, since I was busy with other things. I ended up honestly finishing the second half of the course in two weeks.

Get a Chegg Subscription. All the online quiz questions have been asked on Chegg.

The lecturer teaching the course gets really old to listen to; she frequently mispronounces words and you can hear random sounds in the background. At times you question whether this is indeed an OChem professor.

However, I cannot gripe too much. I feel like I lucked out taking this course because this satisfies a requirement for a med school I'm trying to get into, and this schedule is not as suffocating as it could've been. Honestly, I don't know if this was an OChem 2 course. It's mainly lab techniques, tools for compound analysis, and biochemistry. The lecture component is a breeze.

First Half and Midterm

I would spend most of your study time in the first 6 weeks of the material. I did, and it paid off on the midterm, because I understood these things. It's somewhat debatable, but this may be the hardest portion of the course. I think once you get this out of the way, you should be fine the rest of the way. I scored a high B on the midterm. Rent the textbooks from Amazon. Mark the chapters by topic and use the index religiously during the midterm. I felt also that as gruesome they were to hear, the lecture slide printouts and your notes in the margins for these slides are helpful. This test was a hair bit harder than the final. With ample preparation, you will honestly have an hour left to go back over the entire test. I was able to fill out answers quickly and go back. Timing isn't too big of an issue.

Again, Chegg for the online quizzes, the rental textbooks, the lecture slides, and the homework is your best friend for the first half of the course. And it's only 6 weeks. You can knock out two lectures per week!

Even without Chegg, you can still find some of the quiz questions answered on Quizlet, but a lot of questions will only be answered on Chegg.

Second Half and Final

I had three weeks left to finish the course because of other commitments and poor time management. I signed up for Chegg after the first midterm and breezed through the next 8 quizzes. One after the other. 100% on all of them. I did not listen to the lectures, I did not do the homework. All I did was print out the objectives for each lecture, and mark them in the Denniston text of where I could find that topic. Sticky note the Denniston text and place a bookmark in the index so you can flip back quickly for the final. I had less time, only 40 minutes to go back and answer the questions I had skipped. I did not prepare at all and if you are good with time management, I would strongly advise, as previously written, to understand the weekly objectives and do the homework problems. Use Khan Academy as an accessory tool. I scored a 94 on the final. Easier than the midterm, IMO.

Discussions
Go with the simplest molecules here. I don't know why people here are complaining about Dr. Rowe grading strictly. If you go with a simple molecule, thoroughly read the directions and answer each question and cite sources. Read the instructions carefully here and answer with simple compounds and you should get the full credit.

Biggest Takeaway

I was looking solely to meet the pre-med requirement and UNE Online is a lifesaver for that matter. This is not a heavy commitment, by any means. You should honestly look to finish this course in 8 weeks, max. Just get it out of the way. ProctorU is easy and accessible. The quizzes are a breeze. You should prepare somewhat before the exams, but having the hard copy of both books is absolutely necessary. I have never been so friendly with the index section my entire life. The study guide is not necessary. The discussions are easy, but follow instructions and be neat in how you organize and answer the question. Don't be ambiguous. There were so many students' assignments that were just messy and all over the place.

This course is not for those who want to learn and retain information for the long run, because unfortunately, I didn't grasp the material. I have taken Biochem and OChem 2 before so I had some background knowledge, but if this is your first time taking OChem2/Biochem, manage your time wisely, and do as the lecture materials say. As for now, take this easy opportunity while you have it.

There is no excuse for any student to score below a B. Message me if you have questions.

You're saying you used Chegg and Quizlet to find answers to the quiz questions?

Hi folks! Been lurking for a few weeks but I'm finally ready to dive into UNE's online program (my hope is to get into UNECOM when all requirements are met)!

A question I have for all of you is what course is considered a good launching pad? My guess is either the med bio or med gen chem but wanted to get some thoughts from people who are in the trenches now. I work full time and this first course will be a good test to see how I'm able to balance work and school. Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Choose biology if you want something a bit more laid back, a confidence booster. Choose chemistry if you want your resolve tested a bit more. I never took gen chem with UNE but had to pick between bio and ochem when starting out about a year ago.

Easing back into coursework with the biology courses allowed me to come to ochem with study habits I would have had to develop with trial and error for the first several weeks. I may not have done as well considering how difficult ochem I is compared to the bio series. Take whichever one is easier so you hit the ground running with study habits and confidence from that first A.

I am currently taking Biochemistry with Leclair. I am working on the review for unit 2 test. I am feeling okay about the review questions. Anyone who has taken Unit 2 and 4 test, how similar are the review questions to the actual test questions? Thanks

Choose biology if you want something a bit more laid back, a confidence booster. Choose chemistry if you want your resolve tested a bit more. I never took gen chem with UNE but had to pick between bio and ochem when starting out about a year ago.

Easing back into coursework with the biology courses allowed me to come to ochem with study habits I would have had to develop with trial and error for the first several weeks. I may not have done as well considering how difficult ochem I is compared to the bio series. Take whichever one is easier so you hit the ground running with study habits and confidence from that first A.

I agree with thisisvj89, Biology is still pretty difficult since there is a lot of memorizing and concept proficiency you are expected to know for the tests/quizzes. Gen Chem is progressively more difficult and finally O Chem is a bastard! I would recommend considering a tutor for Gen Chem and O Chem almost for sure. Again, you may master these courses without any issues, but I definitely needed some help. Finally, don't get discouraged because we all struggle (almost all) Taking online courses is always difficult. Trying to learn science material by yourself is extremely difficult. All of it seems to build on to itself, especially the chemistries. Pay attention to Gen Chem concepts, since they will definitely appear in O Chem, and by that point they expect you to understand it. Good luck!

This is such a great thread. Reading the comments and posts I really wanted to po
For anyone who cares, here is some feedback I received from Admissions offices when asking about online prereqs:

DO School 1:
“So long as the institution offering credit is regionally accredited, it is acceptable for admission to XXXX. We leave it to the institution to decide how to offer the course and the accreditation body to endorse its validity. University of New England courses have been acceptable to our admissions committee members. As far as the preference between in-person or online, there has been some debate in the medical school admissions community about this topic. This has been the case due to higher enrollments in these courses … It is question of quality. The question remains whether there is a similar quality "experience" online as there is in the classroom. There is very limited (if any) information on how students who enter medical school perform who completed their courses online. So there is much speculation but limited data to form an opinion on the topic. Again, our threshold about what counts as credit is based on accreditation. We leave to the student to determine the quality of the course experience when he or she decides to enroll. This is true whether you were comparing two in-person classes as well. I would evaluate your performance in the online courses within the context of your overall academic record. This as well as your performance on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) should give us some perspective of your level of academic preparation. This would be true for any applicant.”
MD School 1:
“The form of class attendance is not dictated, though the preference is to in-classroom instruction especially for the science courses, and would be reflected on your application: The rigor of your academic preparation is one of the characteristics assessed in the admissions process. It is expected, then, that you will be a GREAT student wherever you are able to complete your coursework. Yes, the preference is to four-year universities, but we understand this is not always possible. (again, be a Great student and your preparation will be reflected in your academic and test scores)”
DO School 2:
“We do accept online credits. As you mentioned - yes, we do prefer biology courses to be taken in a classroom, but we have had prior applicants in a similar situation and they have fulfilled the courses through University of New England as well”
MD School 2:
Online coursework is acceptable if from U.S. accredited college or university. Both online and community college courses are not viewed as competitive as the traditional college/university setting. Please keep in mind that your labs will need to be completed in person.
MD School 3:
We have been very pleased with the NECOM on-line courses, so this is a viable option.
MD School 4:
I do not believe there is a preference at our school as long as you challenge yourself with the coursework and do well.
LSU: DO NOT ACCEPT ONLINE.

This is such a great thread. Reading the comments and posts I really wanted to ask for your opinions on my particular situation. I graduated in 2005 with a BS in Biology. Graduated Cum Laude and had a decent GPA. Long story short I took what was intended to be a "short break" and now here we are 12 years later still wanting to go to medical school. I've been in touch with a few schools about retaking the prerequisites and most are suggesting I would need to retake all of the courses over again (because of the length of time passed) some even saying I would have to take them all at once (full time). I would love to take these courses all at once and not have to work but that's not happening. But if I can take these courses online that would allow me to devot more time to studying and less time in the car...

1. Has anyone heard of or know of anyone that has retaken all of the prerequisites online? (Again not necessarily to improve grade but to show recent coursework)

2. Any other recommendations for someone like myself?

How does the midterm/final for Organic Chem I compare to the quizzes?

I work full-time (11+ hour days), so I was only able to spend time on Organic Chem on my days off. I carefully read through each chapter, took notes of them, and did every, single question within each chapter and at the end of each. I was a little disheartened and disappointed with only getting 8/10 on most of my quizzes considering how much time I spent going through each section. I felt like some of the questions in the quizzes were not straightforward and were vague from what was covered in the chapter. I'm about to schedule the midterm next week, and just changed up how I'm studying (now going through the lectures posted, taking notes on those, and using the book as a reference for clarification).

How does the midterm/final for Organic Chem I compare to the quizzes?

I work full-time (11+ hour days), so I was only able to spend time on Organic Chem on my days off. I carefully read through each chapter, took notes of them, and did every, single question within each chapter and at the end of each. I was a little disheartened and disappointed with only getting 8/10 on most of my quizzes considering how much time I spent going through each section. I felt like some of the questions in the quizzes were not straightforward and were vague from what was covered in the chapter. I'm about to schedule the midterm next week, and just changed up how I'm studying (now going through the lectures posted, taking notes on those, and using the book as a reference for clarification).
Unfortunately my experience was that the midterm and final very much mimicked the quizzes, but if anything the exams didn't have nearly as many poor quality questions. I tried two different study techniques throughout the course, one up to midterm and one from midterm-final, however I worked every assigned problem at least once for each method.

Flashcards, I used them intensely for the first half of the course. For the second half, I used no flashcards but reworked over and over problems I struggled with and really spent time to understand why I was struggling. I found this to be the better technique for me because it translated to understanding ochem rather than regurgitating it. I highly recommend the method I settled on but to each their own.

Time will be against you more than anything else during the exams. There are some real tough questions and others that are absolute gimme's. Definitely triage and circle back if time allows. Make sure you have everything you're weak on written down and exact page numbers for finding things you anticipate needing. I did a one page summary for each chapter and would have done very poorly without those summary pages, considering the time constraint.

I found the lectures next to useless throughout the course, but nailing down each section in the book all but ensured the A.

Has anyone taken General Chemistry 2 at UNE? Are the answers for the midterm all in the textbook/ the textbook solutions? Do they curve the final grade?

Hi all,
I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered but I am currently taking OCHEM 1 with Manyan from UNE, I have my midterm coming up and was wondering if any one knows if he uses the Bruice test bank for his questions or he makes his own questions?
In other words, are the quizzes similar to the exams (midterm and final)? If I can answer the quiz questions well, would there be other concepts outside of the quizzes I'd need to know? Thank you for your help!

I am planning to take BioChem this October and there are four different professors available. Morris, Sengupta, Pitcairn and LeClair, any suggestions as to who would be a better professor that is responsive in replies and considers giving credit after errors have been found in the curriculum. Also, one that curves the grade/test/quizzes? Thank you!

First time I've logged on here in God knows how long, but I've got an inbox full of people asking me about these classes because I posted that I took 3 of them years ago, so I decided to try and answer all of their questions here for future reference. (Sorry to everyone I never answered)

1) Yes I was accepted and no, no one I applied to cared that these courses were online, but the smart play is always to call everyone you plan on applying to and asking them what their official policy is.

2) No, the class did not prepare me for the MCAT. Neither did my OCHEM class I took at my traditional 4 year undergrad, neither has any other often course every taught. No one gets ready for the MCAT by taking prereq classes, you get ready for it by doing good MCAT prep, so don't even let the MCAT be a determining factor.

3) That being said, just to be thorough, the quality of class is on par with a community college type class. The book written for it is geared towards a wide range of health professionals, STNAs, nurses, DOCs, etc, and so is the class.

4) The class is damn expensive. You are paying for the convenience of doing it at your own pace from your couch. I took these classes because I wanted to get grade replacement done as quickly as possible and worked through 3 classes and 2 labs in about 3 weeks each, but if I had the time I would have taken classes at a traditional cc and paid about 1/3 as much. (No one cares if you take cc classes either)

Think those are the most common questions, feel free to send me more direct messages if you want but I can't promise I'll get to them in quick order but I'll try.

Hey all,

I know that there are around a hundred random threads regarding the UNE online science prerequisites for health professions, so my hope is that from now on we can use this thread to aggregate all of that info into one easy to access place.

Please, if you have a review of a course, or questions regarding individual courses, teachers, requirements, or anything informative regarding the UNE online prerequisite courses, feel free to post it all here so we don't have to go rummaging through years old information.

I would ask that if you have a review, please leave the course number and semester and year taken, so that those reading have an idea of how up to date the reviews are.

Thanks,
Best!
Karla

I just got an account on here so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place so sorry in advance if I mess up!

I am planning on taking two online courses over the summer from UC Berkley. I want to take microbiology and biostatistics. I don't want to take them for credit. I just want to take them to say that I took them because I know that these are both courses that many med schools list as recommended. I took quantitative methods which is a stats course at my college and it is required for my major. Since I took this course, I was not allowed to take a traditional stats course, but I am nervous that some med schools will not count it as a stats course. Microbiology will not fit into my schedule before I submit my application to med schools. So I have a few questions based on this:

-If I submit my applications in June 2017 and I take the courses Summer 2017, can I send my certificates of competition for theses courses to med schools to be considered as part of my application?

- Do you think it is necessary to take biostatistics or am I ok?

-How will it look if I take microbiology online over the summer? Will it look like I took it over the summer because I thought I wasn't going to do well? Will they say I should have planned out my schedule better? Will they look at it and say she just took this course to make her application better and be annoyed with that? (you know how they say application officers look at your resume and write off things that you clearly did just to put on your resume)

-Do you have any suggestions of a place that might be better to take courses from?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Anyone here successfully get their science letter(s) from UNE? If so, what were your grades, who were they from, and how often did you talk with the professor?

Has anyone successfully remediated or retaken and grade replaced a course through UNE online? I can’t find anything in the policy regarding such requests.