THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! It's May 2017 so I thought i'd update everyone on what the Biochem class is like now (as when I was researching, the reviews were from a long time ago and I was unsure of how it might've changed since then).

It is a lot of information. Being said, it's not particularly "hard". Week 1 FREAKED me out and I thought I wasn't going to make it. Week 1 is a huge overload of information, i read all the chapters and everything, and now that I go back on it not review for the final, I understand it and it's interesting, but at the time it was too much.

Unit 1, as was said, is the hardest as it has the most information in it (6 modules out of 16). The exams are all fair. If you studied you will do well. This class mainly requires a lot of time. I took off two afternoons a week from work and studied all on the weekends. I will finish this class early. Just put in the effort and you'll do fine! It is just SO much information but it's really cool at the end to review and see how everything goes together. It's really interesting!

Do NOT put that much time in the book. That was my mistake the first week. It's good as a complement - for definitions, explanations of diagrams, and clarifications if you need more help on a certain subject. He even says you won't be tested on extra stuff from the book and to focus on the material in the lectures.

I am about to take the final and don't need to get that great of a grade to get an A. This is what I've done per module:
1) Printed out the lectures. Wrote down every word of the lecture.
2) Reviewed the lecture notes and made my own diagrams and pneumonics of things (book for any clarification)
3) Memorized my own notes and diagrams (and I mean color-coded and such)
4) Filled out objectives (not by complete memory although most of it I could)
5) Filled out/reviewed study guides if there was one for that module (sometimes they're provided with answers - sometimes not)
6) Took the pre-evaluation, then the evaluation
7) Repeated for every module until I had to take the exam

For exam:
1) Reviewed my personal diagrams/notes and my things to memorize - writing and rewriting pathways
2) Filled out study guide for the unit + reviewed it
3) Reviewed objectives for each module
4) Redid pre-evaluations
5) Question banks if available

My color-coded personal notes + rewriting pathways until I knew everything about them were what helped (+ pneumonics).

At the beginning of the exam, I just scrambled down everything I wanted to regurgitate memorization-wise.

You don't have to listen to the lecture multiple times. You don't have to read the book. Also, the "this can be helpful" quizzes through a separate website where you sign up through your textbook code was so disheartening and hard in my opinion and did not reflect the test questions so I would avoid that. That just scared me.

He changed the rubric to be:
1) 20% Module quizzes
2) 30% Unit 1 and 3 (formulative) exams
3) 50% Unit 2 and 4 (cumulative) exams

Hope this helps someone!
I was motivated and wanted to do well. The comments on this thread made me feel like it was going to be impossible. Definitely possible, tests were on what you learned so they were fair, and now that I'm at the end, tying everything together is interesting. This class just requires a lot of work.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Have any of us taken their anatomy course? What was the experience like?

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to listen to the lecture multiple times. You don't have to read the book. Also, the "this can be helpful" quizzes through a separate website where you sign up through your textbook code was so disheartening and hard in my opinion and did not reflect the test questions so I would avoid that. That just scared me.

I would have to disagree with your suggestion of not having to read the book. You will be pretty lost if you don't because the lectures suck, they're not enough. The book is medical school level biochemistry and I found it to be really easy to read and understand. I personally really enjoyed the course and it was great preparation for med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Have any of us taken their anatomy course? What was the experience like?

I found the anatomy course to be somewhat difficult. It was medical school level gross anatomy, I don't know if people realize this, so yeah, it's going to be hard. I thought the practical exams were pretty easy though, it depends on if you have good photographic memory. Don't purchase the lab software they tell you to, all of the pics that they use for practicals are available for free on here Human Anatomy :) I thought the hardest exams were 2 & 3, with head & neck being the most difficult. I think Gray's Anatomy is the best med school anatomy textbook, but I didn't really read it, it's A LOT! I just memorized all of his notes and slides and I got an A. I definitely recommend this course if you're thinking about going to med school!

I would have to disagree with your suggestion of not having to read the book. You will be pretty lost if you don't because the lectures suck, they're not enough. The book is medical school level biochemistry and I found it to be really easy to read and understand. I personally really enjoyed the course and it was great preparation for med school.

I think it depends on your learning style. I agree with @2017Student in that I primarily watched the lectures to study, as did many of the other reviewers on this thread. However, someone who learns best by reading would obviously benefit more from the book.

That said, I consider myself a book learner and still focused on the lectures because they condense the must-know information from the very detailed book. YMMV

who do you recommend for genetics and biochemistry??
I am planning to register soon

If anyone is interested in the physics I lab device you need for the class PM me. I'm looking to sell mine now that I'm done.

who do you recommend for genetics and biochemistry??
I am planning to register soon

hey guys, since the course is self paced, do you get your final mark when you finish the course or will you have to wait until the end of the scheduled 16week period?

hey guys, since the course is self paced, do you get your final mark when you finish the course or will you have to wait until the end of the scheduled 16week period?
You email the professor when the course is finished. They give you your final grade and submit it at whatever time you finish the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
You email the professor when the course is finished. They give you your final grade and submit it at whatever time you finish the class.

If that is the case, how does the bell curve work if everyone in the class is finishing it at different times?

Hello everyone, hope everyone is kicking ass with their UNE prereqs! I am finishing up GenChem II at the end of the month and will take the dreaded OChem mid July. The only instructor available is David Manyan which based on Rate my Professor is not very good. He got a 1 out of 5 :( so has anyone out there had him? He is a new name and I am not very familiar with his class. The other professor that is available at around same time frame is Dr Polly Ellerbe and she has also received tough reviews. Also, I am preparing for a VERY difficult class based on what everyone has said about O Chem but in mean time any suggestions in best ways to prepare before I finally start next month? Any input is appreciated! Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, hope everyone is kicking ass with their UNE prereqs! I am finishing up GenChem II at the end of the month and will take the dreaded OChem mid July. The only instructor available is David Manyan which based on Rate my Professor is not very good. He got a 1 out of 5 :( so has anyone out there had him? He is a new name and I am not very familiar with his class. The other professor that is available at around same time frame is Dr Polly Ellerbe and she has also received tough reviews. Also, I am preparing for a VERY difficult class based on what everyone has said about O Chem but in mean time any suggestions in best ways to prepare before I finally start next month? Any input is appreciated! Thank you very much.
Hi there! I did not take organic I at UNE, but I have heard lots of testimonials about a tutor named Janci Despain. Just look her up on Google. She is supposed to be really good with tutoring for UNE organic chem I. Best of luck to you!!

Thank you for tutor advice but fortunately my wife is a Chemistry Wiz and she will help me throughout. I was mostly wondering about the Professors and how reasonable they are. I have found that UNE course have some blatant accuracy issues with some of their material. Some professors are better than others in giving credit after a clarification is presented to argue a questionable problem or flat out inaccurate question. I also need a professor that is responsive. I find it difficult to wait a full day or longer to get a response since it's difficult to continue with the material when there is a significant hang up on a concept.

Obviously, any helpful advice or study habits, I.E. concentrate on lecture rather than reading the book. Or do more practice problems out of this source, book or etc is what I was specifically looking for. Thank you.

Hi there! I did not take organic I at UNE, but I have heard lots of testimonials about a tutor named Janci Despain. Just look her up on Google. She is supposed to be really good with tutoring for UNE organic chem I. Best of luck to you!!

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears. I have tried to read through the online UNE forums but wanted to ask a few of my own questions. Essentially, I have 4 exams and 3 discussion posts that stand between me and medical school this fall, so I thought I would reach out for some guidance and (possible?) reassurance. Most people are vague in their posts so maybe I am wrong to go in depth but here goes. Also, FEEL FREE TO PM ME with any responses or suggestions if you don't want to post comments!

CHEM 1005 Medical Biochemistry Spicer/Leclair - 2 exams left
  • I was curious on the unit 2 and 4 proctored exams. I am extremely nervous about these. I plan to finish all lectures, skim readings, and really focus on studying the quizzes and review questions (cycling through them). YIKES! It may be awful but I am just trying to comfort myself knowing I can pass with a low average.
  • Are these proctored exams curved? (Just curious)
  • If you choose to retake one, IS THE TEST YOU CAN RETAKE THE EXACT SAME?? << Or of both the quizzes and tests come from a bank of questions (only people that retook it or had friends in the class to compare with after would know)?
Organic Chemistry II Salvatore - 2 exams, 3 discussion posts
  • I was curious on suggestions on what all to print out for the midterm and final. I plan to print my notes, slides, quizzes, worksheets, spectroscopy, functional groups, reviews. Any others?
  • Also, how difficult of a grader is Salvatore on discussion posts? Suggestions on dos/don'ts? My class hasn't had grades posted as the professor has been out for surgery.
  • Are these exams curved? (Just curious)

Thanks in advance and cheers! Hope to see you all out in practice one day :)

Reactions: 1 users
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears. I have tried to read through the online UNE forums but wanted to ask a few of my own questions. Essentially, I have 4 exams and 3 discussion posts that stand between me and medical school this fall, so I thought I would reach out for some guidance and (possible?) reassurance. Most people are vague in their posts so maybe I am wrong to go in depth but here goes. Also, FEEL FREE TO PM ME with any responses or suggestions if you don't want to post comments!

CHEM 1005 Medical Biochemistry Spicer/Leclair - 2 exams left
  • I was curious on the unit 2 and 4 proctored exams. I am extremely nervous about these. I plan to finish all lectures, skim readings, and really focus on studying the quizzes and review questions (cycling through them). YIKES! It may be awful but I am just trying to comfort myself knowing I can pass with a low average.
  • Are these proctored exams curved? (Just curious)
  • If you choose to retake one, IS THE TEST YOU CAN RETAKE THE EXACT SAME?? << Or of both the quizzes and tests come from a bank of questions (only people that retook it or had friends in the class to compare with after would know)?
Organic Chemistry II Salvatore - 2 exams, 3 discussion posts
  • I was curious on suggestions on what all to print out for the midterm and final. I plan to print my notes, slides, quizzes, worksheets, spectroscopy, functional groups, reviews. Any others?
  • Also, how difficult of a grader is Salvatore on discussion posts? Suggestions on dos/don'ts? My class hasn't had grades posted as the professor has been out for surgery.
  • Are these exams curved? (Just curious)

Thanks in advance and cheers! Hope to see you all out in practice one day :)

I'm taking General Chemistry 2 with Salvatore and I've been trying to contact him for several days about an issue I've had in my class. I had NO IDEA he was out on surgery otherwise I wouldn't have bothered him, now I feel really bad! He grades the discussion posts for my class pretty easy it seems. I think it's understood these discussion posts are there to boost your grade lol - hopefully anyway.

Last edited:
Thank you for tutor advice but fortunately my wife is a Chemistry Wiz and she will help me throughout. I was mostly wondering about the Professors and how reasonable they are. I have found that UNE course have some blatant accuracy issues with some of their material. Some professors are better than others in giving credit after a clarification is presented to argue a questionable problem or flat out inaccurate question. I also need a professor that is responsive. I find it difficult to wait a full day or longer to get a response since it's difficult to continue with the material when there is a significant hang up on a concept.

Obviously, any helpful advice or study habits, I.E. concentrate on lecture rather than reading the book. Or do more practice problems out of this source, book or etc is what I was specifically looking for. Thank you.

I recently finished up Ochem I with Dr. Ellerbe and managed an A after the curve but had numerically barely an A- (90.6%). The breakdown further was 95.4% lecture quiz, 90% midterm exam, 88.8% final exam. Tough course, I spent a lot of time studying--too much really--until I found what worked for me. I'd say you can do well in the course as long as your study habits allow you to average an 8/10 or 9/10 on each weekly quiz within 25 mins. That's no joke either, write out whatever you need to for notes and memorize the rest--whatever gets you to that question answering rate and accuracy will likely get you the A.

I couldn't agree more about the bad material in some of the UNE online courses, and this course is certainly no exception. However Dr. Ellerbe was excellent with response time and giving back points whenever something wasn't taught well--or if it was blatantly excluded as a concept in the text/lecture. She strongly prefers you submit the quiz before arguing about bad questions though. I had the concept wrong a fair few times but also managed several points back throughout the course. She always responded to me within 24 hrs (M-F), most of the time from 5am-10am EST. I'm not sure you could ask for a better online facilitator.

I recently finished up Ochem I with Dr. Ellerbe and managed an A after the curve but had numerically barely an A- (90.6%). The breakdown further was 95.4% lecture quiz, 90% midterm exam, 88.8% final exam. Tough course, I spent a lot of time studying--too much really--until I found what worked for me. I'd say you can do well in the course as long as your study habits allow you to average an 8/10 or 9/10 on each weekly quiz within 25 mins. That's no joke either, write out whatever you need to for notes and memorize the rest--whatever gets you to that question answering rate and accuracy will likely get you the A.

I couldn't agree more about the bad material in some of the UNE online courses, and this course is certainly no exception. However Dr. Ellerbe was excellent with response time and giving back points whenever something wasn't taught well--or if it was blatantly excluded as a concept in the text/lecture. She strongly prefers you submit the quiz before arguing about bad questions though. I had the concept wrong a fair few times but also managed several points back throughout the course. She always responded to me within 24 hrs (M-F), most of the time from 5am-10am EST. I'm not sure you could ask for a better online facilitator.

Outstanding thisisvj89!!! I really appreciate the thorough response and this is exactly what I was looking for! Especially a teacher that is open to changing a grade, that is if you prove that you understand a concept but were given a misleading or poorly worded question and can demonstrate the knowledge. I had issues with Rapach in Biology for questioning accuracy to quiz and midterm/final questions on many occasions and it just doesn't make sense to me that there is a push back. If I was the facilitator, I'd want my course to be as accurate as possible so not sure why there is a resistance to change. Anyways, I really appreciate your response. She (Ellerbe) is only available for August, so I will need to find out if she has any openings in July. Thank you!

Hi,
Is physics not offered this summer at UNE? I couldn't find it ..

Outstanding thisisvj89!!! I really appreciate the thorough response and this is exactly what I was looking for! Especially a teacher that is open to changing a grade, that is if you prove that you understand a concept but were given a misleading or poorly worded question and can demonstrate the knowledge. I had issues with Rapach in Biology for questioning accuracy to quiz and midterm/final questions on many occasions and it just doesn't make sense to me that there is a push back. If I was the facilitator, I'd want my course to be as accurate as possible so not sure why there is a resistance to change. Anyways, I really appreciate your response. She (Ellerbe) is only available for August, so I will need to find out if she has any openings in July. Thank you!

No problem, I actually had Rapach for the Bio sequence as well (not by choice) and can say Dr. Ellerbe is much more reasonable. I suppose some of the Bio ambiguity can be chalked up to the subject matter as a whole, but I think you'll find Ochem with Dr. Ellerbe a more fair experience. Maybe it's just that PhD.

Anyone selling their books/cd's for ochem 1? Also, What exactly do you have to buy for the lab component - is it just a cd?

Anyone selling their books/cd's for ochem 1? Also, What exactly do you have to buy for the lab component - is it just a cd?
The lab component is free. The software is on the blackboard page to download. I have the solutions manual, but I rented the textbook. If you are interested in purchasing it message me.

I have had the worst experience with UNE. I took Chem 1010 with mcMillan / Rowe and got a C..... I've never gotten a C. Anyway, I attribute it to the fact that Chemistry is already hard to begin with and then the lecturer would literally READ note off a page in a monotone voice. How does that even engage a learner? I was forced to rely on the internet to try and teach me Chemistry the entire course. It was awful. I put in 20+ hours of studying for both the midterm and the final only to fail them both. The test bank is completely flawed. I am so frustrated. They say these courses are geared towards people who work full time and have families but they are NOT. My evaluation of the course included a lot of these negative points. Are there any other websites one can take pre-requisites that isn't such a terrible experience?

Has anyone taken the Statistics course through UNE? I need to take it and want to know if there are professor recommendations?

I recently took Anatomy with lab (ANAT 1005) through UNE online, so here is my review.

Background on me: I had not taken an anatomy course prior to this one, so I cannot compare this one to other experiences.

TL; DR
This class takes a lot of time because you have to memorize 1000+ facts or images per unit (4 units) for the closed-book exams. If you memorize things easily, this is the class or you. Quizlet is helpful (UNE Anatomy for Health Professions | Quizlet, especially meganfleming56 because she has practical images and normal facts - although she is missing many of both). Overall, if you are willing to pay $1350 for the convenience of this class, you have the time to memorize everything, I would recommend it. It’s an annoying and sometimes boring class, but I didn’t want to have to enroll at a CC or anything. I’d recommend taking it in quick short bursts: do the lessons in a unit and study intensely all in 1 week or so, then take some time off before doing the same thing for the next unit. I completed all 8 major tests in 17 days and received an A- in the course.

Long:
Class Setup: The class was subdivided into 4 units (Upper Extremity, Lower Extremity, Head/Neck, Thoracic Cavity/Abdomen). Each unit had between 9 and 12 lessons (AKA powerpoint videos with commentary), and each lesson was followed by a 3-point quiz. All the 3 point quizzes can be retaken, so these points are essentially “guaranteed.” The videos vary in length from approximately 20 min. to 75 min. in length. I don’t remember specifics on time, but the unit 3 and unit 4 had approximately 10.5 and 9.5 hours of video, respectively. After all of a unit’s lesson quizzes are complete, you can sign up for the exams through ProctorU. There are two closed-book, closed-note exams per unit: 1 “written” = multiple-choice and 1 “practical” = identifying structures from pictures, also multiple-choice. The written tests are all 50 question, 60 minute tests, and the practicals are 25 question, 30 minute tests. The final grade was then determined by the sum of all your test and quiz grades (429 points total = 50 points per written exam x 4 + 25 points per practical x 4 + 3 points per quiz x 43). There was no cumulative final exam. Also, you cannot view the next unit’s materials until you finish both tests for the previous unit.

Resources: The recommended resources were a Gray’s text, a Netter Text, and the Human Anatomy Online software. I occasionally looked at images in the Gray’s text to get a better feel for structures, but I never opened to Netter text. Of all these resources, I think the Human Anatomy Online software is the most important. All (or almost all) the images on the practical exams come from this site, and the site often has many images per structure. Although it is challenging to use, the $30 for it is worth it if you want to do well in the course. QUIZLET is also really good because people have already made flashcards for a lot of things (both for written and practical exams). See the link above, but you can also search for similar classes.

Personal Experience: This class was very challenging for me personally because it was pure memorization. Since you can’t use any materials on the tests, you have to memorize everything, and everything is a lot. For example, you don’t just have to know the muscles, you have to know where a muscle originates and inserts, where its blood supply comes from, what group it is in, what movement it performs, and how it is innervated. For the upper extremity (with 69 muscles alone), that is already 414 things to know. Of course some of the information overlaps, but it is still a lot. This was sort of overwhelming. For the practicals, I generally had something like 500 images per unit that I tried to “memorize,” too. Of course, once you memorize all the information, you’re good to go on the tests since all the questions are factual (none interpretive or critical thinking or whatever), but memorization takes lots of time (for me at least).

How I did this class: Initially, I took the prof’s recommendation to do a max of 3-4 lectures per week (BAD IDEA). I watched a few lectures a week, did the quizzes, didn’t study much, and moved on to the next lecture. At the end of the unit, I realized how much I had to memorize and was completely overwhelmed, so I kept putting my studying off. With about 4 weeks left in the class, I realized I had to get it together. I made Quizlet cards and started studying 10-16 hours a day. I took my first Unit 1 test with 17 days left in the course. I then spent 2 days studying the practical pictures and took the test. I did pretty well on both and decided I probably didn’t have to study as hard. I went through the Unit 2 lectures, made flashcards on Quizlet, studied, and took Unit 2 tests within 4-5 days. Units 3 (5-6 days later) and 4 (3-4 days later) I did similarly, except that I used other people’s Quizlet sets and supplemented them with a few of my cards where I felt they were lacking. During this process of procrastinating/cramming, I realized cramming was actually the way to go. When I spread out the lectures, I retained very little, but when I watched the lectures back to back (4-10/day), I was able to retain much more because the lectures reinforced one another and built on one another. It allowed me to connect the information better. While completing the tests in 17 days was slightly panic-inducing, I’m not sure any other way of doing this class would have been better (except maybe starting earlier to allow for breaks between two units’ intense cramming sessions).

About Human Anatomy Online: It's a really awkward website when you are trying to find specific things. I found that using the index was most effective, although not intuitive. Say you are trying to find the trapezius muscle, if you go to T in the index, it won't be there. Instead, you have to go to M for muscle, then scroll down to trapezius and you'll probably find 5 links that may or may not show you the same picture (I downloaded a bunch and looked at them on my computer). Likewise if you are looking for the femoral vein, look under vein or vessels, not F for femoral. If you are looking for the humerus, look under B for Bone, not H for humerus. Basically, identify the type of the thing you are looking for (bone, cavity, muscle, artery, nerve, etc) and look for the thing under those categories. PS not everything that he has listed in the lab/practical terms is on Human Anatomy Online. If you can't find it after 5+ min, move on.

Overall: This class is extremely convenient because you can take it on your own time, but it is a lot of work! If you are money conscious, don’t really care about the convenience of online classes, don’t want to put in the work, or don’t want to watch many hours of somewhat boring videos, I’d recommend that you find a local CC with an anatomy course, although like I said, I don’t have another anatomy course behind my belt to compare this one to.

Hope that helps someone! Sorry for being so long-winded.

I also took Organic Chemistry II without lab (CHEM 1021) through and here is my review of it.

Background on me: I had taken 3 quarters of organic chemistry, but I took the last term pass/fail and subsequently was required to re-take it on grades when I applied for dental school.

Overall: This class is a good and easy class that I would recommend if you don’t really care about learning organic chemistry: 8 out of the 14 units are really basic biochemistry units about carbs, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids. The first 6 units are all spectroscopy (UV-Vis, IR, NMR, etc.).

Class Setup: The course had 14 “units,” each with ~8-12 videos that are 1-15 minutes each (total maybe 1.5 hours per unit). Each unit has a 10-point timed quiz at the end (14 total quizzes), and then there are two tests: 1 midterm after unit 6 and 1 final exam after unit 14. Check http://syllabi.une.edu/sphp/chem-1021/ for the grading stuff. The tests were something like 2.5 hours long and 65 questions (if I remember right), and they were also through ProctorU. The big tests are open-book, open-note (printed), and open homework. I had like 150 pages of notes per test, so I made a table of contents, and it was quite helpful. You also have to complete 3-ish discussion postings and comment a bit on other people's. For those you have to find/look at a molecule and describe its functional groups and a bunch of other things. It isn't hard, but it is tedius.

Resources: I bought both books that they recommended, and both were “helpful”: a lot of questions are practically word-for-word in the book or notes. If I was able to go back, though, I wouldn’t buy the UNE-specific Chapter 13 (or whatever it was) excerpt from the other book. It is literally 1 chapter of some other book (~50 pages), and you can only buy it through UNE so it is like $45 with shipping. The whole book costs less than that on Amazon. Just use the images she puts in the lecture or search for IR/NMR/UV-Vis charts online. Also, the prof has the videos and gives homework assignments from the texts. She provides answer keys when necessary.

How I did this class: I took a few weeks to do the first 6 units + midterm, and I did the last 8 units and final in about a week. It wasn’t challenging, especially because you can have your notes and books for the tests.

Note: If you just took the unit 1 quiz and are worried, I thought that was by far the hardest of all the quizzes/tests.

Like I said, this class easy and completely not the organic chemistry I expected. If you hate actual organic chemistry, this class is your friend, but if you are looking to learn OChem or something new, it is not for you. I didn’t take the lab, so I have no opinion on it.

Also, one thing I didn't like was that for both classes you never find out what questions you got wrong/how you can improve because they are trying to prevent cheating. I understand, but I also want to know haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I also took Organic Chemistry II without lab (CHEM 1021) through and here is my review of it.

Background on me: I had taken 3 quarters of organic chemistry, but I took the last term pass/fail and subsequently was required to re-take it on grades when I applied for dental school.

Overall: This class is a good and easy class that I would recommend if you don’t really care about learning organic chemistry: 8 out of the 14 units are really basic biochemistry units about carbs, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids. The first 6 units are all spectroscopy (UV-Vis, IR, NMR, etc.).

Class Setup: The course had 14 “units,” each with ~8-12 videos that are 1-15 minutes each (total maybe 1.5 hours per unit). Each unit has a 10-point timed quiz at the end (14 total quizzes), and then there are two tests: 1 midterm after unit 6 and 1 final exam after unit 14. Check http://syllabi.une.edu/sphp/chem-1021/ for the grading stuff. The tests were something like 2.5 hours long and 65 questions (if I remember right), and they were also through ProctorU. The big tests are open-book, open-note (printed), and open homework. I had like 150 pages of notes per test, so I made a table of contents, and it was quite helpful. You also have to complete 3-ish discussion postings and comment a bit on other people's. For those you have to find/look at a molecule and describe its functional groups and a bunch of other things. It isn't hard, but it is tedius.

Resources: I bought both books that they recommended, and both were “helpful”: a lot of questions are practically word-for-word in the book or notes. If I was able to go back, though, I wouldn’t buy the UNE-specific Chapter 13 (or whatever it was) excerpt from the other book. It is literally 1 chapter of some other book (~50 pages), and you can only buy it through UNE so it is like $45 with shipping. The whole book costs less than that on Amazon. Just use the images she puts in the lecture or search for IR/NMR/UV-Vis charts online. Also, the prof has the videos and gives homework assignments from the texts. She provides answer keys when necessary.

How I did this class: I took a few weeks to do the first 6 units + midterm, and I did the last 8 units and final in about a week. It wasn’t challenging, especially because you can have your notes and books for the tests.

Note: If you just took the unit 1 quiz and are worried, I thought that was by far the hardest of all the quizzes/tests.

Like I said, this class easy and completely not the organic chemistry I expected. If you hate actual organic chemistry, this class is your friend, but if you are looking to learn OChem or something new, it is not for you. I didn’t take the lab, so I have no opinion on it.

Also, one thing I didn't like was that for both classes you never find out what questions you got wrong/how you can improve because they are trying to prevent cheating. I understand, but I also want to know haha.

This is insightful, thanks for posting. The Ochem you said you took for pass/fail, did it cover much of this material? Do you think this class would have been as easy for you having only taking the equivalent of Ochem I previous to beginning?

So before I say anything else, I want to say that I am partially responsible for this due to poor time management, and lack of communication earlier in the semester with my instructor. I fell behind in my course. I thought FOR SURE I would be able to get a course extension because hell, all I'm doing on the class is work through blackboard - it's not brick and mortar, i'm not keeping instructors from hardly anything else - it's basically an independent study class.
However, I have been denied an Incomplete because my reasoning wasn't good enough for the instructor and I have received an F in both my lecture and lab courses. My instructor was completely unreachable for almost 3 weeks when I asked for the extension and proceeded to tell me I couldn't have a course extension/Incomplete on the very last day of the course. I called this person, emailed, texted, left a voice mail. Nothing. This is the most ****ed up thing that has happened to me in my entire academic career and i've been through a lot, academically speaking. This grade is not reflective of my abilities are a student but rather because I ran out of time and poor time management skills of my doing and an instructor who doesn't give a ****. I will NEVER spend another $1 on an institution that does not offer the support that's needed for some people. I get that some of this is my fault for falling behind but the instructor's total unwillingness to help me out when I got in a bind just shows exactly how much they cared for the success of their "students"
Further, I had issues with my midterm exam where I accidentally submitted my midterm test for a grade after completing 1 question. Dr Salvatore proceeded to either ignore or question the fact that I needed help with re-taking or finishing the mid term itself. Proctor U opened up a case to reach out to the instructor and I never heard anything from Proctor U or Dr Salvatore himself until the very last day of the course where he asked me to provide further information on the mid-term. Proctor U opened up a case that they closed and I was left with a mid term course grade after answering 1 question out of 50. Dr Salvatore largely ignored my requests for help, was very hard to get ahold of, and was of absolutely no help when a student of his needed assistance.

Last edited:
This is insightful, thanks for posting. The Ochem you said you took for pass/fail, did it cover much of this material? Do you think this class would have been as easy for you having only taking the equivalent of Ochem I previous to beginning?

I did take 3 terms of Ochem during college, and only 1 was pass/fail. It has been 3-4 years since I took them, and they were very reaction pathway heavy (drawing out how compounds will react with others). The UNE Ochem II course, on the other hand, is more fact-heavy: more than half biochemistry (lipids, carbs, nucleic acids, proteins and their structure and general functionality rather than their reactions) and slightly less than half spectroscopy. If you took a basic biochem class, the biochem part would probably be a lot of the same material. As for the spectroscopy half of the UNE course, it was a lot of "There is a peak at so-and-so ppm/cm^-1. What functional group does this peak represent?" I don't think I ever cared to learn/memorize spectroscopy information before because I always felt you could look up values in a chart.

So basically what I am saying is that I don't think those courses really helped me because it wasn't really the same material. A biochem course might help you, but honestly the course is pretty easy because you can use your notes and books for all the tests. A lot of the questions are almost word-for-word from the notes or the look-it-up-in-a-chart kind, so if you take good, organized notes then you should be just fine.

Last edited:
Did anyone take Orgo II through UNE? Urgent help needed :confused::arghh:

How quickly does your grade show up on the final transcript grade after you finish the course?

How quickly does your grade show up on the final transcript grade after you finish the course?
Each instructor is different but in my experience you can get a grade posted within a day or two of submitting all course material, provided you give advanced (several weeks) notice of your timeline.

I am currently taking the class and will be taking the midterm tomorrow. How'd you manage to complete the second half of the course in one week? I need to have everything submitted and graded by the first week in August, but it'd be great to have it done even before then so I can start to enjoy my summer. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I am currently taking the class and will be taking the midterm tomorrow. How'd you manage to complete the second half of the course in one week? I need to have everything submitted and graded by the first week in August, but it'd be great to have it done even before then so I can start to enjoy my summer. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck on the midterm!

Disclaimer: At the time I took that course, I was only working part time and I was only focusing on this one course. A week is quite a bit of time if you have that situation.

For the second half of the class, I went through the lectures one after another. As soon as I finished the videos from Week 8, I immediately took the quiz, and then, I started the videos from Week 9 and took the quiz. Then, I went straight into the Week 10 videos and so on until the last videos. Just watching the videos, taking notes, and taking the quizzes on them took me 1.5 or 2 days (I think).

I then took about 1 day to go through the assigned homework problems for all the weeks. For many of the problems, I did a mental guess-and-check (instead of writing them down and checking later). That made things go a lot faster. I also did a general overview of most of the end-of-chapter questions, even if they weren't assigned. Basically, I scanned over them to make sure I either knew the answers or knew in general where I could probably find them.

The next day I went through my notes a few times to highlight important things and to study in general. My notes for the final (including the "objectives" from the website and my quizzes) were 187 pages long in OneNote, so I made a table of contents for each week. It probably let me verify my answers for almost every question. I would also recommend having a copy of the objectives for every week since they are nice summaries of the individual weeks. The objectives were also really helpful for defining what was important for the test (and the table of contents). They were super helpful to me when I was looking for things as well.

Then, I took the test. I think it was pretty similar in difficulty or maybe slightly easier than the midterm exam.

I have the solutions manual for o chem I at UNE. It's a must have for the course. Message me if you still need it.

Each instructor is different but in my experience you can get a grade posted within a day or two of submitting all course material, provided you give advanced (several weeks) notice of your timeline.

For both my classes, the profs posted the grades within 1 day. I didn't give them advanced notice of my timeline, but I emailed them when I finished the final exams. Obviously, the time will vary by the prof and emailing them ahead of time could potentially help.

You can check to see if the grades have posted to your transcript through the registrar (?-not totally sure if that is where I found it). Once mine did (day after I finished the class), I requested official transcripts, and I received them through the mail within 5 days. I'd say don't bank on either of those timelines, but that was my personal experience.

I finished organic chemistry 2 this week with an A. I have the 2 proctored exams left in biochemistry. Please message me if you have any suggestions on how to study and prepare for these exams!!! I am curious if anyone saw any trends from where questions are pulled from. For all exams, I assume there is a bank of questions the questions are pulled from. But I am curious if you noticed questions being pulled from or similar to - quizzes, reviews, book questions, homework, unit reviews, presentations, etc. Please message me or reply here. Thanks!

Last edited:
Good luck on the midterm!

Disclaimer: At the time I took that course, I was only working part time and I was only focusing on this one course. A week is quite a bit of time if you have that situation.

For the second half of the class, I went through the lectures one after another. As soon as I finished the videos from Week 8, I immediately took the quiz, and then, I started the videos from Week 9 and took the quiz. Then, I went straight into the Week 10 videos and so on until the last videos. Just watching the videos, taking notes, and taking the quizzes on them took me 1.5 or 2 days (I think).

I then took about 1 day to go through the assigned homework problems for all the weeks. For many of the problems, I did a mental guess-and-check (instead of writing them down and checking later). That made things go a lot faster. I also did a general overview of most of the end-of-chapter questions, even if they weren't assigned. Basically, I scanned over them to make sure I either knew the answers or knew in general where I could probably find them.

The next day I went through my notes a few times to highlight important things and to study in general. My notes for the final (including the "objectives" from the website and my quizzes) were 187 pages long in OneNote, so I made a table of contents for each week. It probably let me verify my answers for almost every question. I would also recommend having a copy of the objectives for every week since they are nice summaries of the individual weeks. The objectives were also really helpful for defining what was important for the test (and the table of contents). They were super helpful to me when I was looking for things as well.

Then, I took the test. I think it was pretty similar in difficulty or maybe slightly easier than the midterm exam.

Has anyone ever heard of an online organic chemistry or biochemistry class that isn't proctored, by chance?

Has anyone ever heard of an online organic chemistry or biochemistry class that isn't proctored, by chance?
I believe BYU (Brigham young university) has some

I am currently finishing up my Organic II course and it was a lot easier than I thought and I felt I understood the material more than I thought I would. I will give a complete review of it when I finish the final exam just in case things go awry out of nowhere.

I have also enrolled in the dreaded Organic I course. I am hoping to finish it within the next month and a half or so. I will give a review of that as well when I have completed it. I hope it is not too bad. I did Organic I at my university and did great the first month and did horribly the rest of the semester due to medical issues, so I am hoping I can do better this time around.