THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also I have the Physics I Lab Kit complete for sale for only 50 dollars!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It was, yes. I learn best through reading (can't remember a dang thing when I listen to a lecture), so I think the class played to my strengths by relying heavily on the textbook. I think it's very individualistic. No one approach will work for everyone.

Oh, and so you know, I got an 88% on my midterm, 84% on my final, and got curved to an A with Ellerbe, so don't be too discouraged by your midterm! That was a tough exam!

Now, biochem through UNE? I'm definitely studying more for this class than I did for Orgo 1 or 2.

From your previous review of the course:
"There is also a generous curve applied to the end grade. I had an A in my quizzes, a B on my midterm, and a C on my final. Even with that, I ended up with an A in the class. I had an A in the lab portion without the curve, so I don't know what the curve would have been there."

An A is =>94 and a C =>76. Quite a discrepancy with your final exam grade between posts. Curves change depending on when the course was taken, so it's encouraging to know you were curved up so high having scored a C for the final. Or was it a B? Anyway, we cannot anticipate the same curve for each group of students. So to be safe, wouldn't you recommend studying on the conservative side?

From your previous review of the course:
"There is also a generous curve applied to the end grade. I had an A in my quizzes, a B on my midterm, and a C on my final. Even with that, I ended up with an A in the class. I had an A in the lab portion without the curve, so I don't know what the curve would have been there."

An A is =>94 and a C =>76. Quite a discrepancy with your final exam grade between posts. Curves change depending on when the course was taken, so it's encouraging to know you were curved up so high having scored a C for the final. Or was it a B? Anyway, we cannot anticipate the same curve for each group of students. So to be safe, wouldn't you recommend studying on the conservative side?

Whoops, I had a B on my final. Just went back and corrected my old post. Good catch.

Even still, no, I wouldn't make a blanket recommendation that that much study time is necessary. The people who are taking this class are largely people working full-time who are trying to go back to school and need this for pre-reqs. If I had read that 22 hrs/week was necessary, I would have been looking hard for another solution to my Org 1 need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoops, I had a B on my final. Just went back and corrected my old post. Good catch.

Even still, no, I wouldn't make a blanket recommendation that that much study time is necessary. The people who are taking this class are largely people working full-time who are trying to go back to school and need this for pre-reqs. If I had read that 22 hrs/week was necessary, I would have been looking hard for another solution to my Org 1 need.

That makes more sense and is really good to know. I work fulltime as well but would rather know what is needed for the uncurved A vs. a very chancy curved A. Do you know what your numerical grade was after the curve or have perspective from anyone who received an A- after curve? Every grade counts for a nontrad, so I prepare for each exam to look back knowing I did everything I could. Depending on a curve isn't a luxury many of us have.

That makes more sense and is really good to know. I work fulltime as well but would rather know what is needed for the uncurved A vs. a very chancy curved A. Do you know what your numerical grade was after the curve or have perspective from anyone who received an A- after curve? Every grade counts for a nontrad, so I prepare for each exam to look back knowing I did everything I could. Depending on a curve isn't a luxury many of us have.

Unfortunately, all I know is that I got an A. I never saw a final percentage. She was cryptic about the curve with me as well. She did tell me what I needed on the final to get an A with the curve, so it seemed like it was standardized (i.e. everyone gets bumped up this many percentage points), but I can't be certain.

I definitely feel you on not wanting to depend on the curve. That really frustrated me with this class. I studied more for midterm and final, walked into each knowing I studied everything I could have, and still didn't do well enough to get an A without the curve. My impression from Dr. Ellerbe was, "the class material has issues, we know it has issues, so we curve everyone's grade to make up for the issues." I'd much rather them just correct their crappy question bank and make it actually possible to receive an A without the curve. If you can get an A pre-curve, you will have my utmost respect!

Reactions: 1 user
I am getting ready to take the final for Gen Chem I, can anyone please give me some advice on what to study? I am working of the Final Exam Study Guide
, but just as the mid term I feel that that list is not comprehensive and definitely leaves things out. Is it heavy on problems or terminology or both? I really need to knock this one out of the park since I am sitting at a B right now, and would really like to finish with an A-. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me if you have friendly advice.

Thank you very much!

Hello -- Any advice on getting ready for the BIO 1010 final with Rapach-Henry / Ginger Fisher? I'm kind of nervous about it and need to start preparing! Thanks.

Hello -- Any advice on getting ready for the BIO 1010 final with Rapach-Henry / Ginger Fisher? I'm kind of nervous about it and need to start preparing! Thanks.

The final exam review sheet is the key, only those topics will be tested. Go through this for every module and find the slides where details are given for each topic--you may need to use the book for extra detail. Make sure you know that review sheet up and down and you should be ok, just don't skip anything. I did this for bio 1 and 2 with Rapach-Henry within the past 6 months and received two A's. Also, the allowed exam time is twice what you will likely need during the first questions sweep. Pretty sure there isn't a curve in the course(s), unless you've been told different. Good luck!

The final exam review sheet is the key, only those topics will be tested. Go through this for every module and find the slides where details are given for each topic--you may need to use the book for extra detail. Make sure you know that review sheet up and down and you should be ok, just don't skip anything. I did this for bio 1 and 2 with Rapach-Henry within the past 6 months and received two A's. Also, the allowed exam time is twice what you will likely need during the first questions sweep. Pretty sure there isn't a curve in the course(s), unless you've been told different. Good luck!

Thank You! I'm kinda bummed there is no curve since that seems to be the norm among the UNE courses. Thanks again!

What are the pro's and con's of doing all your pre-reqs online via UNE? A little background is I have a honours bachelors in Health Sciences that I obtained 6 years ago (along with my pre-reqs via traditional classes) in Canada. I decided later in my career I wanted to apply to DO schools in the States. Although I've completed these courses, my GPA was not the hottest. Any input on my situation would be fantastic : )

Guys I'm really struggling through chemistry 2 through UNE so far. My work schedule is tough and I feel like I'm not putting in enough time to learn and make connections. Any advice to get this course back on track? Reading through the chapters in chemistry books takes FOREVER for me and so far hasn't been high yield....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone completed all of the pre-reqs through UNE online, with PA school in mind? If so, have you been accepted into a PA program?

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to BIO 1010, I'm also taking General Chem 1 1010 with Jill McMillin and Rebecca Rowe. I find the quizzes extremely difficult so I'm really worried about the Mid-Term. Help! Any study tips / tips in general would help greatly.

Anyone here take Chem 1 Lab Final and would be able to shed some light on what will be tested and how they prepared? Unlike the End of Class Final, the Lab final doesn't have a review sheet. I am starting to panic here because I find that anything can be tested and not much insight to what exactly will be tested. I appreciate you comments if you can reply. Thank you.

Anyone here take Chem 1 Lab Final and would be able to shed some light on what will be tested and how they prepared? Unlike the End of Class Final, the Lab final doesn't have a review sheet. I am starting to panic here because I find that anything can be tested and not much insight to what exactly will be tested. I appreciate you comments if you can reply. Thank you.

I would also love some insight if anyone has some to share - I will be taking the final in a few days. Thank you!

Can anyone tell me how necessary it is to buy the course materials for Organic Chemistry I through the UNE bookstore as opposed to from Amazon or elsewhere? I'll only be taking the lecture, not the lab. Also, what model set is included with the package provided through the bookstore? Does it really matter what brand you get?

Can anyone tell me how necessary it is to buy the course materials for Organic Chemistry I through the UNE bookstore as opposed to from Amazon or elsewhere? I'll only be taking the lecture, not the lab. Also, what model set is included with the package provided through the bookstore? Does it really matter what brand you get?

If you aren't taking the lab, then you may be able to get away without a model kit. It is kind of nice to be able to visualize stereoisomers, however.

You can definitely get your book from Amazon as well as your study guide/solutions manual. I wish I would have! I'm actually about to sell mine if you're interested.

Guys I'm really struggling through chemistry 2 through UNE so far. My work schedule is tough and I feel like I'm not putting in enough time to learn and make connections. Any advice to get this course back on track? Reading through the chapters in chemistry books takes FOREVER for me and so far hasn't been high yield....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey, I've had success sitting down and going through the slides and just writing down anything that isn't second nature for me. Even if its not a huge thing, writing it down seems to cement it in my brain. I've also been doing all of the sample problems in the slides, while covering up the solutions. If I run into trouble with the problem, I'll uncover the necessary info to keep me going. Writing down all formulas in the notes on one reference sheet seems to be useful also. I'm taking the midterm tonight. If you ever need help understanding a concept, hit me up! I'm also working full time, so I feel your struggle and I'm happy to impart any advice if you want it.

If you aren't taking the lab, then you may be able to get away without a model kit. It is kind of nice to be able to visualize stereoisomers, however.

You can definitely get your book from Amazon as well as your study guide/solutions manual. I wish I would have! I'm actually about to sell mine if you're interested.
Thanks for the info! How much are you selling them for?

Hey all. First post. Thinking about taking Orgo 1 and 2 with the labs. I've already taken Orgo in my local university but i wanna retake it to boost my grade. Thinking of starting with the May 3rd cycle with Prof. Ellerbe. Anybody have any tips for me?
Me too! I'm planning on retaking my Organic Chemistry I with the lab through UNE starting in early May. I've taken it at my university before, so hopefully I get a better grade this time around. This will be my only class at that time while working full-time, so I'm very interested to see how it goes.

For those of you who have taken it before, how to do you think it compares to taking it in person at a college? I'm just worried that the questions on the quizzes/exams will be crazy difficult!

Hey, I've had success sitting down and going through the slides and just writing down anything that isn't second nature for me. Even if its not a huge thing, writing it down seems to cement it in my brain. I've also been doing all of the sample problems in the slides, while covering up the solutions. If I run into trouble with the problem, I'll uncover the necessary info to keep me going. Writing down all formulas in the notes on one reference sheet seems to be useful also. I'm taking the midterm tonight. If you ever need help understanding a concept, hit me up! I'm also working full time, so I feel your struggle and I'm happy to impart any advice if you want it.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll try to hit the bigger points on the powerpoints. How did the midterm go?

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll try to hit the bigger points on the powerpoints. How did the midterm go?

No problem. Eh it went ok. I thought it went perfectly but I ended up with an 86, so I was kind of miffed.

Hello everyone, I am starting Medical Biology 1 and Microbiology next week and have 8 weeks to complete them. I found quite some information in this thread about Bio 1 but not so much about Microbiology. Has anyone taken it already and can you share you experience in terms of how demanding it is, clarity of information, structure etc?

If anyone has the lab write ups for physics at UNE or at least some sort of template For them please let me know. I'll buy them if necessary

Physics II isn't offered? Where did you guys take Physics II? I want an online physics II course.

Physics II isn't offered? Where did you guys take Physics II? I want an online physics II course.

My friendly neighborhood community college. I never could find a physics 2 class online.

My friendly neighborhood community college. I never could find a physics 2 class online.

According to UNE site you could request a course. If enough people ask for it, would they offer?

According to UNE site you could request a course. If enough people ask for it, would they offer?

I actually filled out that request form last summer. Don't know what it would take to get them to do it.

I did awful on the Chem 1010 mid term. I got 31 out of 50 which means I got a 62%. I remember hearing that this class grades on a curve. When does that curve take effect and what kind of curve is it? I have an 81 in the class with this midterm. I really need an A

I did awful on the Chem 1010 mid term. I got 31 out of 50 which means I got a 62%. I remember hearing that this class grades on a curve. When does that curve take effect and what kind of curve is it? I have an 81 in the class with this midterm. I really need an A
Was your mid term open book/open note? I'm just beginning this course.

I am getting ready to take the general chemisty I midterm. Anyone have any tips or sugesstions?

Thanks!
I just started this course last week. Would love to know how you did and what you thought of the course!

Anyone currently taking organic 2 thru UNE and know if the textbook readings are mandatory to do well in the class? Or are the lectures sufficient?

Hey everyone, I haven't been on this thread in a little over a year but I wanted to jump on and make something clear that I was curious about when taking this courses.

I took the following courses online from UNE and got into three DO schools:

BIO 1 & 2, CHEM 1 & 2, Anatomy, Physics 1, O-Chem 1, BioChem.

I only applied to one MD (my state school) and was interviewed at the school but was pretty late in the cycle and was put on the wait list.

Obviously, look into each school you're applying to and see if they'll take online courses but I never had an issue last cycle with taking literally all of my prerequisites through UNE.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone, I haven't been on this thread in a little over a year but I wanted to jump on and make something clear that I was curious about when taking this courses.

I took the following courses online from UNE and got into three DO schools:

BIO 1 & 2, CHEM 1 & 2, Anatomy, Physics 1, O-Chem 1, BioChem.

I only applied to one MD (my state school) and was interviewed at the school but was pretty late in the cycle and was put on the wait list.

Obviously, look into each school you're applying to and see if they'll take online courses but I never had an issue last cycle with taking literally all of my prerequisites through UNE.
You probably took Chem 1 quite awhile ago, but I just started and wanted to see if you had any studying tips, especially for the midterm and final.

You probably took Chem 1 quite awhile ago, but I just started and wanted to see if you had any studying tips, especially for the midterm and final.

It was about 18 months ago now. Who is your professor?

Anyone currently taking organic 2 thru UNE and know if the textbook readings are mandatory to do well in the class? Or are the lectures sufficient?

Go back and read through the previous reviews. Mine in particular addresses your question.

How did your finals end up going? I just started this course.

Just finished OChem 1 with a B in lecture, and A in lab. I've been doing some research and it seems like UNE's orgo 1 and orgo 2 are largely flip flopped when compared to other schools. Has anyone noticed this? Does this have anything to do with why their orgo 1 was so challenging for me?

I won't be taking UNE's Organic Chem 1 till next Fall, but I already found an online tutor who specializes in that exact course and has testimonials of most of her students receiving all B's and A's with her help.

Finished my last UNE course last night: Medical Biochemistry. I received an A in the class, but I worked much harder for it than any previous class.

Course Info

Course: Medical Biochemistry (CHEM 1005)
Instructor: Dr. Douglas Spicer
Time Taken: March 1 to May 11, 2017 (10 weeks, 1 day)
Books: Mark's Basic Medical Biochemistry, 4th edition (
ISBN-13: 978-1608315727). I bought the book used and it did not come with an access code. I would recommend this as the book is an aid, not a primary study tool.

Format and Grade Breakdown

Weekly Module Quizzes (16 modules): 20%
Unit 1 exam (first 6 modules) and Unit 3 exam (modules 11-13): 30%
Unit 2 exam (primarily modules 7-10) and Unit 4 exam (primarily modules 14-16): 50%

NOTE: This was updated April 2017. The Unit 2 and 4 exams used to be 55% of the final grade. Also, the 2 lowest module quizzes are now dropped before your final grade is calculated.

Why I took this class

This class was flexible, and I had already successfully taken UNE's Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 classes.

Good:

Of the 3 UNE Online courses I've taken, I think this was the best. The questions asked on quizzes and modules were fair (even thought difficult), and the expectations are clearly laid out. I feel like I really learned a lot in this class, and I actually enjoyed the content.

Bad:

It is difficult. If you want an A, you will need to work hard. The lectures give you 99% if what is tested on, but the lectures are dreadfully boring. There is also way too much detail in the book if you learn better by reading, which forces listening to lectures so as not to be overwhelmed.

My suggestions to do well

If you take one piece of advice from my review, FOLLOW THIS STUDY PLAN! My professor suggested part of this, and part I got from @AnotherLawyer reviews on this thread (many thanks, they helped me a lot!).
  1. Copy and paste objectives into a word processor
  2. Listen to lectures and answer objectives as you listen
  3. Take pre-evaluation
  4. Fill in gaps of knowledge with textbook and study guides. Edit your objectives as needed.
  5. Re-watch all lectures. Edit objectives again.
  6. Take pre-evaluation again
  7. Review study guides and objectives
  8. Take module quiz
I did not follow this format on the first 6 weeks and struggled with that material for the rest of the course. If you just need to get the course done, then by all means, fly through it. If you really want to understand the material and get a good grade, do this. The objectives are the key to the class. If you know them, you will do well.

A few other tips:
  • Most of the Unit 1 material doesn't show up in later units (especially DNA structure and processing). Your signaling cascades, however, WILL be continually tested on. Learn them and learn them well!
  • Details matter. The Unit 4 exam heavily tested on small details. Don't just learn the big picture; learn every detail under each objective.
  • Don't rely heavily on the book. The book has way too much detail.

Reactions: 2 users
Finished my last UNE course last night: Medical Biochemistry. I received an A in the class, but I worked much harder for it than any previous class.

Course Info

Course: Medical Biochemistry (CHEM 1005)
Instructor: Dr. Douglas Spicer
Time Taken: March 1 to May 11, 2017 (10 weeks, 1 day)
Books: Mark's Basic Medical Biochemistry, 4th edition (
ISBN-13: 978-1608315727). I bought the book used and it did not come with an access code. I would recommend this as the book is an aid, not a primary study tool.

Format and Grade Breakdown

Weekly Module Quizzes (16 modules): 20%
Unit 1 exam (first 6 modules) and Unit 3 exam (modules 11-13): 30%
Unit 2 exam (primarily modules 7-10) and Unit 4 exam (primarily modules 14-16): 50%

NOTE: This was updated April 2017. The Unit 2 and 4 exams used to be 55% of the final grade. Also, the 2 lowest module quizzes are now dropped before your final grade is calculated.

Why I took this class

This class was flexible, and I had already successfully taken UNE's Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 classes.

Good:

Of the 3 UNE Online courses I've taken, I think this was the best. The questions asked on quizzes and modules were fair (even thought difficult), and the expectations are clearly laid out. I feel like I really learned a lot in this class, and I actually enjoyed the content.

Bad:

It is difficult. If you want an A, you will need to work hard. The lectures give you 99% if what is tested on, but the lectures are dreadfully boring. There is also way too much detail in the book if you learn better by reading, which forces listening to lectures so as not to be overwhelmed.

My suggestions to do well

If you take one piece of advice from my review, FOLLOW THIS STUDY PLAN! My professor suggested part of this, and part I got from @AnotherLawyer reviews on this thread (many thanks, they helped me a lot!).
  1. Copy and paste objectives into a word processor
  2. Listen to lectures and answer objectives as you listen
  3. Take pre-evaluation
  4. Fill in gaps of knowledge with textbook and study guides. Edit your objectives as needed.
  5. Re-watch all lectures. Edit objectives again.
  6. Take pre-evaluation again
  7. Review study guides and objectives
  8. Take module quiz
I did not follow this format on the first 6 weeks and struggled with that material for the rest of the course. If you just need to get the course done, then by all means, fly through it. If you really want to understand the material and get a good grade, do this. The objectives are the key to the class. If you know them, you will do well.

A few other tips:
  • Most of the Unit 1 material doesn't show up in later units (especially DNA structure and processing). Your signaling cascades, however, WILL be continually tested on. Learn them and learn them well!
  • Details matter. The Unit 4 exam heavily tested on small details. Don't just learn the big picture; learn every detail under each objective.
  • Don't rely heavily on the book. The book has way too much detail.
Thanks for the details! I just started the Biochem course and I'm on week 2. Hopefully your tips will help me earn an A

Has anyone taken the UNE Genetics Course (Biol 1040)? If so, can you tell me how it was (in other words, was it a reasonable course--possible to get an A if you put in a reasonable amount of work--responsive professor--etc)?
Did you end up taking this course? Any feedback?

I actually filled out that request form last summer. Don't know what it would take to get them to do it.

I asked the school about physics II. Today I received a reply saying they will be offering it starting this fall or sometime later this year!!!

Looks like UNE will be my saving grace. I just can't work full-time and physically be in a classroom. The travel alone eats up such good time. I'm looking to start winter courses all the way through next summer!

From the responses itt, I can see it really gets the job done!

Has anyone taken microbiology, anatomy, or physiology from UNE?

Has anyone taken microbiology, anatomy, or physiology from UNE?
Currently taking Anatomy. Honestly, its a bit annoying how it is set up. Basically the slide lecture notes are just outlines with no pictures. Then while watching the lecture you can see the structures and you have to jot it down (figures) and then look them up in the book. Sometimes he has different more or less things written on the slides. Not a massive fan of the set up, mind you I still have to take the first midterm. Ill update you soon.

I will be starting UNE Online's Chem I (no lab) and Medical Terminology on April 5th. I've read through most of the posts; however, does anyone have any updated recommendations and/or reviews of the two courses?
Hey I'm taking it too right now!