THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It really comes down to whether or not you feel you can succeed in a self-paced online environment. The pros of an onsite class are that there is a set pace of 16 weeks, direct access to the instructor, office hours, and easy access to peers to study with. These online courses will allow you to watch lectures as many times as you need, work through the course faster than 16 weeks, and learn from anywhere anytime. Either way you will be studying a lot if you want an A, just different games you will have to figure out. The in-class vs. full 16-week online course will likely differ only in your need to be self-motivated to get necessary studying done.

This is a great response. Thank you! Based on what you said and some of the feedback I've gotten from others, I believe doing the online course will be more beneficial. I've had great success with online courses tinhe past, but I've never done a Biology or Chemistry class online, so I've naturally been a bit curious about how it might work out.

I appreciate you getting back to me.

Members don't see this ad.

For the record, UNE's biochem is unbelievable. I wish despite everything I had entry to the old addresses, as some were superior to anything the ones I have gotten in therapeutic school as to simplicity of comprehension and profundity.

It seems like more people didn't like UNE's Biochem course than did, but that may be due to how difficult Biochemistry is in general. The theme I keep seeing repeated is that there is just so much work to be done, that the 16 weeks doesn't make it very realistic. A lot of folks on this site seem to have fared well, though. When I get to the point where it's time to take Biochem, I'm going to be looking at a few different options listed in this thread (UNE, CSU, Unive of Minnesota, etc). There is a professor at the University of Minnesota that has outstanding reviews on Rate My Professor, but I haven't determined whether he teaches the online section or not.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm considering tackling some of my pre-med requirements this summer via UNE (while working full-time to save some rent money for fall), but I was wondering; has anyone on here had any luck on completing more than one course within 4 - 5 weeks of timeframe?

Additionally, for those of us who have taken these courses with zero prior knowledge on the subject, how much do we feel we have learned, and what was the experience like?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering tackling some of my pre-med requirements this summer via UNE (while working full-time to save some rent money for fall), but I was wondering; has anyone on here had any luck on completing more than one course within 4 - 5 weeks of timeframe?

Additionally, for those of us who have taken these courses with zero prior knowledge on the subject, how much do we feel we have learned, and what was the experience like?

I had no prior coursework in bio or organic. You might be able to average 5-6 weeks during bio I/II but you will have zero free time outside of the full time job and studying. I hit 8-10 weeks per course but with still going out 1 night each weekend and oversleeping the following day. Organic...it won't be possible unless your IQ truly is exceptional. Also factor in that you're on summer break and it will be somewhat more difficult to focus on coursework.

As far as the learning takeaway, the proctored exams aren't cake. The bio sequence has a closed-book cumulative final, where the content isn't difficult but there is a lot of it to retain throughout the course. Organic has an open-book midterm and final but the allowed testing time is so short that you can't really rely on your book. All exams are proctored since these are regionally accredited courses after all. That regional accreditation is why a lot of schools accept these online courses and why we're all here in the first place. As with anything, you will get out what you put in.

Reactions: 1 users
Quick question on the Organic I lab portion - so i was adding in the points and it is 108 pts total. So I am assuming that a 94% is an A?

I mis-read a few questions on my first two labs so I already have "-3" pts, which is not good for me so I am kinda freaking out. Obviously I will bust my a$$ the rest of the semester for that A but just wanted to see anyone else's opinion.

Definitely second guessing taking this online...

Quick question on the Organic I lab portion - so i was adding in the points and it is 108 pts total. So I am assuming that a 94% is an A?

I mis-read a few questions on my first two labs so I already have "-3" pts, which is not good for me so I am kinda freaking out. Obviously I will bust my a$$ the rest of the semester for that A but just wanted to see anyone else's opinion.

Definitely second guessing taking this online...

Yep, 94% is an A. Each point costs you dearly! Really look through your questions and fight for any that you think are misworded or bad questions.

Good thing is that there was a curve when I took the class last semester. That will probably help you out.

Yep, 94% is an A. Each point costs you dearly! Really look through your questions and fight for any that you think are misworded or bad questions.

Good thing is that there was a curve when I took the class last semester. That will probably help you out.

Oh there was a curve on the lab also? or just the course?

I am going through great difficulties on Biochem. I have one module (unit 4) left to finish. I must to achieve at least 85% on test to get C. anyone have any suggestion?

FYI, do not rush the class, and lecture is useless.

Oh there was a curve on the lab also? or just the course?

Actually, good question. I had an A in the lab portion without a curve, so I'm not sure. I know my lecture grade was curved significantly though.

I am going through great difficulties on Biochem. I have one module (unit 4) left to finish. I must to achieve at least 85% on test to get C. anyone have any suggestion?

Are you able to elaborate on your experience with biochem so far? The syllabus indicates that , even though all exams are closed-note, only Unit 2 and Unit 4 exams are proctored. This leaves the weekly evaluations (20%) and Unit 1/3 exams (25%) as closed-note but unproctored. Surely it is the best practice to treat each exam as outlined in the syllabus, but for me, it would be difficult not to consult my notes when the exam is unproctored. This leaves 45% of the course grade as quasi-open-book, time permitting.

Assuming notes are helpful, averaging 98% for weekly evaluations and 29/30 for each of the Unit 1/3 exams leaves a required average of 46/50 on each proctored Unit 2/4 exam to get an A.

Is the time allowed for Unit 1 and Unit 3 exams so short that notes more or less become useless? Do weekly evaluations adequately reflect tested material? Is the book awful? Biochemistry is an upper level course, so the study time required is expected to be more than that of orgo I or II--is 16 weeks still not enough?

Responses to UNE's biochemistry class seem to be very polarizing, any insights you have would be helpful.

I hope each point isn't weighted the same, that would mean lab 2 (45 pts) is weighted nearly eight times heavier than lab 1 (6 pts). It should be based on average scores for each lab. This would mean a 70% on lab 1 is weighted the same as a 98% on lab 2, bringing the to-date lab performance to (70% + 98%)/2. In other words, the lab grade should be based on each respective lab score out of 100%, not a cumulative points calculation. I get my exact cumulative lab grade to within 0.01% using the aforementioned method.

Are you able to elaborate on your experience with biochem so far? The syllabus indicates that , even though all exams are closed-note, only Unit 2 and Unit 4 exams are proctored. This leaves the weekly evaluations (20%) and Unit 1/3 exams (25%) as closed-note but unproctored. Surely it is the best practice to treat each exam as outlined in the syllabus, but for me, it would be difficult not to consult my notes when the exam is unproctored. This leaves 45% of the course grade as quasi-open-book, time permitting.

Assuming notes are helpful, averaging 98% for weekly evaluations and 29/30 for each of the Unit 1/3 exams leaves a required average of 46/50 on each proctored Unit 2/4 exam to get an A.

Is the time allowed for Unit 1 and Unit 3 exams so short that notes more or less become useless? Do weekly evaluations adequately reflect tested material? Is the book awful? Biochemistry is an upper level course, so the study time required is expected to be more than that of orgo I or II--is 16 weeks still not enough?

Responses to UNE's biochemistry class seem to be very polarizing, any insights you have would be helpful.

I found 16 weeks to be too little, but I didnt necessarily kill myself studying every day either. To get an "honest" 46/50 on one of the proctored exams would require a pretty ridiculous amount of study time. I ended up with a "B" overall and spent between 15-20 dedicated hours on each of the proctored exams to earn that grade. My study routine included fully transcribing each lecture, lots of practice problems provided by the course and the book, question/answer style flash cards, and doing it all multiple times. I also had to retake Exam 4.

My major critical complaint about the course is that it does not emphasize clinical application of the material enough. However, the exams are heavy in testing this* aspect of the material. To do well you have to focus on the details and nuances outlined in lecture and the book, but you also have to take the initiative to go the distance and really spend time thinking about how the info applies to case studies...

**The most valuable thing I learned by taking this class is how to organize my study schedule to accomodate a pretty incredible volume of material. Yes, I learned quite a bit about biochem which I sure hope will help during medical school (but Im not counting on it). More importantly I got a small taste of what drinking from the proverbial fire hydrant is all about which I am grateful for. This IS medical school were talking about here. Complaining about this class being too difficult or not easy enough seems pretty pointless...

I found 16 weeks to be too little, but I didnt necessarily kill myself studying every day either. To get an "honest" 46/50 on one of the proctored exams would require a pretty ridiculous amount of study time. I ended up with a "B" overall and spent between 15-20 dedicated hours on each of the proctored exams to earn that grade. My study routine included fully transcribing each lecture, lots of practice problems provided by the course and the book, question/answer style flash cards, and doing it all multiple times. I also had to retake Exam 4.

My major critical complaint about the course is that it does not emphasize clinical application of the material enough. However, the exams are heavy in testing this* aspect of the material. To do well you have to focus on the details and nuances outlined in lecture and the book, but you also have to take the initiative to go the distance and really spend time thinking about how the info applies to case studies...

**The most valuable thing I learned by taking this class is how to organize my study schedule to accomodate a pretty incredible volume of material. Yes, I learned quite a bit about biochem which I sure hope will help during medical school (but Im not counting on it). More importantly I got a small taste of what drinking from the proverbial fire hydrant is all about which I am grateful for. This IS medical school were talking about here. Complaining about this class being too difficult or not easy enough seems pretty pointless...

Do you think the needle would have moved much if you spent ~25 hrs studying each week? This is the time I reserve for the UNE courses, hoping very much that time allows completion much before the 16 week mark.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope each point isn't weighted the same, that would mean lab 2 (45 pts) is weighted nearly eight times heavier than lab 1 (6 pts). It should be based on average scores for each lab. This would mean a 70% on lab 1 is weighted the same as a 98% on lab 2, bringing the to-date lab performance to (70% + 98%)/2. In other words, the lab grade should be based on each respective lab score out of 100%, not a cumulative points calculation. I get my exact cumulative lab grade to within 0.01% using the aforementioned method.

Yes, you are calculating it correctly. What I meant is that each point costs you in the context of the percentages. If you missed 1 out of 6 possible points on Lab 2, you got an 83%. That means each point is worth 17% of the grade for that quiz.

Yes, you are calculating it correctly. What I meant is that each point costs you in the context of the percentages. If you missed 1 out of 6 possible points on Lab 2, you got an 83%. That means each point is worth 17% of the grade for that quiz.

Gotcha, yeah that's where it hurts you.

Do you think the needle would have moved much if you spent ~25 hrs studying each week? This is the time I reserve for the UNE courses, hoping very much that time allows completion much before the 16 week mark.
No. I think the jump from knowing enough to make 40/50 to 46+/50 would have taken much more than 5 additional hours of dedicated study time for each test.

Yeah f*** spending 5k on one class. That is insane. I am taking Biochem this spring online through CSU and it will be $1676. More expensive than UNE but less material. It also much cheaper than taking it at MSU. The only reason why I am taking it at CSU over UNE is because of the course title. AACOMAS told me that "Medical Biochemistry" will not replace my old course titled "biochemistry", CSU's title is "Principles of Biochemistry" so I'm pretty sure it will replace my old course.

BC 351 | Principles of Biochemistry - CSU Online

How did you determine that the CSU Biochem course covered less material than the UNE Biochem course?

I have the option of taking Biology I and II at a local CC, or with UNE. I am so nervous about this decision because once I start, there is no stopping. I actually inboxed you, but let me know if you can quell any fears or if you think in class would be preferable, even though it would add a year to my timeline. Also, would taking another course (Chem I at Dallas CC) add a great deal of difficulty to the UNE Med Bio course, or no worries?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Assuming the choice is between in person at a CC and online at UNE, then the choice is clear. Do them in person at the CC. Lots of schools accept online pre-reqs, but the fewer the better. As you progress with the pre-reqs, it will become harder to find in person offerings at night or on weekends. So take in person courses whenever you have the option to do so.

If the choice is online at the CC vs online at UNE, I would still pick the CC in your case assuming your are in state. DCCC is a third of the price and TX medical schools don't hate on TX CCs, so you'll get nothing extra by paying for UNE.

Now you mention adding a year to your timeline. That makes things harder. Is your app otherwise excellent and do you have good reason to believe you can do well on the MCAT? If so, maybe go with more online pre-reqs. On the other hand, if you think your app is going to be somewhat average, then you need as many strengths and as few weaknesses as possible. So in that case, consider in person even if it adds a year.

How did you determine that the CSU Biochem course covered less material than the UNE Biochem course?

I made the same determination by comparing the two syllabi. Frankly, it's not even close. The UNE biochem course is far more comprehensive. But who cares? Unless you're applying to a school that has specific requirements, it doesn't matter.

I am applying in TX and the TMDSAS site lists the topics biochem must cover at the schools that require it. UNE met those requirements, CSU didn't. If not for that, I would have picked CSU in a heartbeat. It has great reviews and I spoke with the professor, who seems like an awesome guy who really cares about students.

I got a high 90s grade in the class and I couldn't disagree with you more about the lecture being useless. To the contrary, the lecture is the key to excelling in the class. I've written a lot about how I studied in this thread already if anyone wants to go back and look. I won't repeat it here in detail. But the general idea is to commit the big picture stuff (pathways + enzymes + inhibitors/activators, cascades, etc.) to memory using the illustrations in the book that are referenced in the lectures. Then once you have those solidly committed to memory to the point where you can draw them all out, watch the lectures repeatedly to pick up and fill in all the details. It is true the lectures suck and the professor is annoying, but that doesn't change the fact that everything on the exams comes from the lectures.

I got a high 90s grade in the class and I couldn't disagree with you more about the lecture being useless. To the contrary, the lecture is the key to excelling in the class. I've written a lot about how I studied in this thread already if anyone wants to go back and look. I won't repeat it here in detail. But the general idea is to commit the big picture stuff (pathways + enzymes + inhibitors/activators, cascades, etc.) to memory using the illustrations in the book that are referenced in the lectures. Then once you have those solidly committed to memory to the point where you can draw them all out, watch the lectures repeatedly to pick up and fill in all the details. It is true the lectures suck and the professor is annoying, but that doesn't change the fact that everything on the exams comes from the lectures.
I agree! I have one quiz and one exam left in this class and have gotten all A's on every assessment (save one 88). I've barely used the book - only really referenced it for diagrams and tables that made memorizing pathways easier. Other than that, I took notes on the lectures, which I found to be very comprehensible and adherent to material on the exam. This course was way easier than any other science pre-requisite I took in college.

Assuming the choice is between in person at a CC and online at UNE, then the choice is clear. Do them in person at the CC. Lots of schools accept online pre-reqs, but the fewer the better. As you progress with the pre-reqs, it will become harder to find in person offerings at night or on weekends. So take in person courses whenever you have the option to do so.

If the choice is online at the CC vs online at UNE, I would still pick the CC in your case assuming your are in state. DCCC is a third of the price and TX medical schools don't hate on TX CCs, so you'll get nothing extra by paying for UNE.

Now you mention adding a year to your timeline. That makes things harder. Is your app otherwise excellent and do you have good reason to believe you can do well on the MCAT? If so, maybe go with more online pre-reqs. On the other hand, if you think your app is going to be somewhat average, then you need as many strengths and as few weaknesses as possible. So in that case, consider in person even if it adds a year.

It is so much easier to take the online courses, given my work schedule but I do believe I can make in class work as long as my boss will let me switch my schedule every 3 months or so. In my industry (sales), the idea that you have one foot in and one foot out is frowned upon so I have been leaning towards online courses to ensure no one finds out what I am up to. On the other hand, my new GM is amazing and I think he would allow me to switch my schedule without having to explain why I am doing so. Really, I'm torn.

My state's online CC courses are nonexistent. I would be taking them at DCCC if not UNE. I have in fact drawn up maybe 6 different schedules that either get me done with prerequisites in 2 years or 3 years. None of them have local classes in the mix at this point, simply because it is easier to finish more quickly online and also, I will have to attend different local schools for different prerequisites based on professor ratings, availability and so forth. The entire situation is just difficult, but I am not especially cursed or anything, haha! This is what non-trads go through, if they're serious.

My app is otherwise not excellent. Thank you for bringing that up, as the more info one has the more they can help. I had a VERY rough start to college life back in the day (well over 10 years ago), but finished strong. I've got a 3.82 GPA over my last 72.5 semester hours, which is the strongest part of my app. cGPA is 2.8. sGPA is 2.9 for Allopathic schools and 3.2 for Osteopathic schools. If grade replacement were still in effect, cGPA would be 3.1 and sGPA would be 3.7. This is without having actually tried for grade replacement....just retaking courses back in the day just because.

I have not taken the MCAT, but know I will do well, as there is no alternative. Studying for that exam will be my freaking job when the time comes, though I know preparation begins with these prerequisites. I have to take all prerequisite sciences courses except for Chem I. I have a lot of room for sGPA improvement, but not a lot for cGPA, whatsoever. Upward trend, a solid MCAT score, and adcoms giving me the chance to speak with the in interview format are my friends.

I live in Washington state and am still keeping hope alive for a UW acceptance since they love upward trends and are perfectly fine with online courses and CC courses (spoke to someone in admissions personally to confirm, confirmed via MSAR and also confirmed on their website). PNWU would also have to be in the running since they are very regionally biased and do not auto-screen for any specific GPA and every app is looked at fully. PNWU actually seems to be one of the easiest DO schools for me to get into, based on LizzyM data, admissions criteria, regional bias and being DO. I could be dead wrong, though.

Other than my state school and DO school, I'd likely apply broadly at other DO schools, as most MDs would not like my GPA. URM might help a bit, but I refuse to depend on that factor. In summary, doing my courses online won't affect me much in terms of the schools I am going for being okay with them. In fact, Howard and a few other HBCUs are probably the main reason one might suggest I consider taking courses in person, as most HBCUs don't accept online courses and may be an easier shot at getting into med school with a sub-par GPA and URM status. I'm just not sure that choosing to take courses in person should be chosen based upon the admission standards of maybe two schools that are URM and OOS friendly.

All in all...I'm not sure how to approach this, my friend. Any advice based on the information shared would be considered and appreciated. It's a lot to try and figure out, but once I decide on a course of action, I am the type who is nonstop with it. This is why I have to take care in devising a schedule, but it's also time to figure it out and get started as soon as possible. I'm definitely not getting any younger, haha!

Thanks for giving a crap. It means a lot.

I made the same determination by comparing the two syllabi. Frankly, it's not even close. The UNE biochem course is far more comprehensive. But who cares? Unless you're applying to a school that has specific requirements, it doesn't matter.

I am applying in TX and the TMDSAS site lists the topics biochem must cover at the schools that require it. UNE met those requirements, CSU didn't. If not for that, I would have picked CSU in a heartbeat. It has great reviews and I spoke with the professor, who seems like an awesome guy who really cares about students.

I'll either be taking it at CSU, or the University of Washington. Those UW classes are notoriously filled and filled quickly. I'm not counting on being able to get into any o their courses as a non-matriculating student, so it'll likely be CSU that fits the bill.

Hey guys,

I'm taking the Biochem course starting next week and was wondering if someone could PM me the official syllabus. I'd like to get a jump on the work before the class starts because I have to have it done by July 1st. Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm taking the Biochem course starting next week and was wondering if someone could PM me the official syllabus. I'd like to get a jump on the work before the class starts because I have to have it done by July 1st. Thanks!

Attachments

• syllabi_une_edu_sphp_chem_1005_201700_fall__src_elearn.pdf
    114 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: 1 users
I took med bio I and just finished up med bio II, A's in both. Ginger Fisher is the course creator however your instructor/facilitator will likely be Sharon Rapach. This was my first sequence of courses online so I don't have much of a basis for comparison.

The Good
You can fly through this course if you study every day. I'd say 95% of needed quiz answers can be found in the book or lecture notes before you even learn the material. The other 5% is hiding in the audio of lectures, totally un-emphasized and unbulleted. I completed med bio I in ~10 weeks while working 40+ hrs each week. The instructor is really great with answering any questions you have in a timely fashion. Very frequently I would leave a lab or module quiz partially completed while awaiting a response on specific questions from the instructor. Asking the instructor for clarity on questions will be crucial to your success. It is not a good tactic to try and argue your case after you have already received a lab or module grade--those points are likely not coming back even if they should. Your grade in discussion topics can always be brought up to a perfect score if you make modifications based on instructor feedback.

The Bad
The course is unnecessarily difficult in many ways...the worst being that nearly every single lab or module quiz will have at least one question that is so poorly worded or overly simplified that the 'correct' answer is indistinguishable from the incorrect answers. It's really important that you make an honest effort on these but message the instructor for help before you submit the quiz and make your case clear in a constructive way. She is aware of these questions but the red tape involved in the course design limits her ability to correct the flaws. I only performed labs or portions of them when the lab quiz had questions that required lab results. I did spend the time to fully understand the purpose of each lab and what certain results would mean. I found my lab kit to be frustrating, as I had a few critical pieces that were broken and needed to be re-engineered or else I wouldn't have sensible results to answer a lab question.

Overall
Do the homework, max out each discussion grade, and spend the time needed to ace every lab/quiz possible. Absolutely message the professor when in doubt, she really is great. Whatever you need to do, make sure you know the final exam review sheet up and down--these and only these topics will appear on the final exam. Overall the final exam is on par with the module quizzes if you remove the untested material. The review sheet is the key, best of luck!

Hello,

I appreciate your detailed post about the courses. I am looking at taking Med Bio II. I am a little reluctant to sign up for the course since reading other posts on this thread. Also, I had a bad experience with this same online Bio class at my local community college. I do have some questions for you:

1) How are those recorded lectures?

2) Did a UNE teacher record them or are they from the book company?

3) Was the book helpful?

4)Did you purchase hard copy of book or e-text?

Guys, think twice about taking UNE for pre-req's. Yes, it can be convenient but it does not pay you back in the long run. I made a huge mistake taking chemistry at UNE. I learned nothing during those online modules. You have to take these classes in-person with the proper lab component. You'd be surprised that some of the lab experiments don't go according to plan when you are doing them in your basement.

There are classes that I wouldn't mind taking online but science courses and those with labs, I would never do again.

Beyond that, the final for one of the chem classes was unbelievably hard and it was open book!

I mean if you are a straight-A student and just need to check these classes off, then maybe but if you're trying to learn...avoid.

I will be starting UNE Online's Chem I (no lab) and Medical Terminology on April 5th. I've read through most of the posts; however, does anyone have any updated recommendations and/or reviews of the two courses?

Hello,

I appreciate your detailed post about the courses. I am looking at taking Med Bio II. I am a little reluctant to sign up for the course since reading other posts on this thread. Also, I had a bad experience with this same online Bio class at my local community college. I do have some questions for you:

1) How are those recorded lectures?

2) Did a UNE teacher record them or are they from the book company?

3) Was the book helpful?

4)Did you purchase hard copy of book or e-text?

The lectures are actually pretty good, provided you have already read corresponding book sections. I made nearly all my flashcards directly from the lecture notes an studied only these throughout the course. You will on occasion need to reread book sections to clarify lecture ambiguities.

It's definitely a UNE teacher who recorded the lectures and to the best of my discernibility, it is Ginger Fischer, PhD, the course creator--NOT Sharon Rapach, M.S., the course facilitator. It is Sharon you will be in contact with throughout the course, not Dr. Fischer. This was disappointing to me but Sharon is actually a great facilitator.

The book is essential for this course. Concepts as presented in the lecture are often highly simplified, to the point that the book is needed for clarity. Always do every homework question and use the ebook study features to retest yourself whenever possible.

The package from the bookstore comes only with an ebook. This was disappointing for me because I love having a hard copy. Of course you can purchase the physical textbook for extra $$ but then you're really dishing out for the full price of two identical textbooks.

I think the 3+1 rule holds true for this course to get an A. Since it is a 4 credit course, that means the expected study time (including watching lectures) is 4*(3+1) = 16 hrs per week. This is what my undergrad engineering professors expected of us to make a 4.0 and it seems fair to extrapolate that to this online course. I'm fairly confident anyone who puts in 16 dedicated and efficient hours for this course each week will have a really good shot at an A and likely and A- at the minimum.

With that being said, I would highly recommend taking this course, as well as any other online course--in person at a local CC. That isn't an option for me and likely not for you either, so...best of luck!

Guys, think twice about taking UNE for pre-req's. Yes, it can be convenient but it does not pay you back in the long run. I made a huge mistake taking chemistry at UNE. I learned nothing during those online modules. You have to take these classes in-person with the proper lab component. You'd be surprised that some of the lab experiments don't go according to plan when you are doing them in your basement.

There are classes that I wouldn't mind taking online but science courses and those with labs, I would never do again.

Beyond that, the final for one of the chem classes was unbelievably hard and it was open book!

I mean if you are a straight-A student and just need to check these classes off, then maybe but if you're trying to learn...avoid.

I could be wrong but I venture to guess most perusing this thread have landed on the online route as a last resort, due most likely to an inflexible work/life schedule which rules out local in-person course offerings. If this is the case, we either give up on pursuing medicine or make the best of what there is online.

UNE online has many, many flaws--but so do most in-person courses. I remember from undergrad how certain classes had legacy midterm/final exams floating around, some with a wicked curve, some where you can skip the final exam if your grade is really high, etc. I was never the type to cheat but this is something many get away with at universities with 200+ students in the auditorium during a final exam.

The UNE online science prerequisite courses are regionally accredited by the NEASC. This is the standard for course/program design in the New England region. Hopefully anyone considering any course--online or not--inquires to find their course/program meets respective regional accreditation standards.

I haven't sat for the MCAT yet and haven't repeated any of these courses elsewhere--so I can't tell you how well these courses will prepare you for that test. Hopefully their NEASC stamp puts them on par with other regionally accredited courses.

To your point on open book exams, they are always very difficult in my experience. I took my Orgo I midterm last night, open book. The time constraint made that book completely useless...

NEASC detail just after the course hyperlinks:
Science Prerequisites for Health Professions - online classes

Anyone taking UNE organic chemistry 2 soon?

I was thinking about taking it rather soon - I am still finishing up Organic Chem 1 but should be done in like 3-4 weeks. Let me know how it is if you take it before I start.

I am dreading this midterm for Organic I though.

I was thinking about taking it rather soon - I am still finishing up Organic Chem 1 but should be done in like 3-4 weeks. Let me know how it is if you take it before I start.

I am dreading this midterm for Organic I though.

The final is not cumulative, it only tests material from week 8-14. You should take the midterm before moving on to week 8 to optimize what you are retaining.

Oh I know - I am taking the midterm this week and then the final in about 4 weeks.

Anyone have experience with their anatomy course?

Does anyone know if the textbook for biochemistry is absolutely required? For example, do test questions come essentially straight from the textbook or any other reason I would have a disadvantage using a textbook by another author? I already have one biochemistry textbook from when I studied it on my own for the MCAT and really don't want to buy another unless I have to

Does anyone know if the textbook for biochemistry is absolutely required? For example, do test questions come essentially straight from the textbook or any other reason I would have a disadvantage using a textbook by another author? I already have one biochemistry textbook from when I studied it on my own for the MCAT and really don't want to buy another unless I have to

I'm taking the course right now. I bought a used book off Amazon for ~$20. I think it is worth having, as some of the lectures do not explain things well and I have referenced the book to fill in those gaps. The lectures focus heavily on images from the book, and the lectures are really what is tested on. You may be able to fill in the gaps with your other textbook, but why make an already difficult class more difficult?

The new books from UNE do have an access code that allows you access to more questions banks, but I did not get the code and have so far not needed it. I remember seeing another review somewhere stating that those practice questions were unhelpful to the course's focus anyways.

I'm taking the course right now. I bought a used book off Amazon for ~$20. I think it is worth having, as some of the lectures do not explain things well and I have referenced the book to fill in those gaps. The lectures focus heavily on images from the book, and the lectures are really what is tested on. You may be able to fill in the gaps with your other textbook, but why make an already difficult class more difficult?

The new books from UNE do have an access code that allows you access to more questions banks, but I did not get the code and have so far not needed it. I remember seeing another review somewhere stating that those practice questions were unhelpful to the course's focus anyways.
Thank you, I appreciate the input. I didn't realize the used version would be an option due to the access code you mentioned (I have taken classes that require an access code for graded homework content). I will buy it used.

Thank you, I appreciate the input. I didn't realize the used version would be an option due to the access code you mentioned (I have taken classes that require an access code for graded homework content). I will buy it used.

Yep, I was afraid of that, too. I took a gamble, bought it used, and it worked out ha!

Questions for my fellow UNE course takers. Has anyone ever had a problem transferring courses their UNE credits at their home institution? I have an appointment with my transfer counselor next week and am looking to using UNE's Chem II as a prerequisite for my local college O-chem course.

Hey all. First post. Thinking about taking Orgo 1 and 2 with the labs. I've already taken Orgo in my local university but i wanna retake it to boost my grade. Thinking of starting with the May 3rd cycle with Prof. Ellerbe. Anybody have any tips for me?

Hey all. First post. Thinking about taking Orgo 1 and 2 with the labs. I've already taken Orgo in my local university but i wanna retake it to boost my grade. Thinking of starting with the May 3rd cycle with Prof. Ellerbe. Anybody have any tips for me?

Checkout the new AACOMAS policy on "grade forgiveness" if that is your main reason for retaking the courses...

Notice of Repeat Coursework Policy Change

Checkout the new AACOMAS policy on "grade forgiveness" if that is your main reason for retaking the courses...

Notice of Repeat Coursework Policy Change
Is this new policy change applicable to dental schools also? Technically I'm ok with the averaging of the two classes. Just need to bump up my GPA by a point or two. Im mainly concerned about this specific class/professor. If anybody has any current info i would love to hear it. TIA

You will likely have an edge seeing the material already, so that's great. Having recently taken the midterm and never organic before, I'll say the expected 22 hr/week study time for an A is on par. Solid book, lectures are somewhat helpful, and professor Ellerbe, PhD is excellent at answering questions in a timely fashion.

Also, the course is curved. The prof won't divulge the detail but her response to the question leads me to believe perhaps scoring a bit below the syllabus 94% will still lead to an A. That is my hope after scoring lower on the midterm than I would've liked anyway...as with any curved course, you may be reluctant to find good reviews from those currently in the course--because we are all likely in direct competition due to the curve. I'll give a full review of the course after completion. So far though, I would recommend the course to anyone who can hit the 22 hr/wk study mark. Good luck!

You will likely have an edge seeing the material already, so that's great. Having recently taken the midterm and never organic before, I'll say the expected 22 hr/week study time for an A is on par. Solid book, lectures are somewhat helpful, and professor Ellerbe, PhD is excellent at answering questions in a timely fashion.

Also, the course is curved. The prof won't divulge the detail but her response to the question leads me to believe perhaps scoring a bit below the syllabus 94% will still lead to an A. That is my hope after scoring lower on the midterm than I would've liked anyway...as with any curved course, you may be reluctant to find good reviews from those currently in the course--because we are all likely in direct competition due to the curve. I'll give a full review of the course after completion. So far though, I would recommend the course to anyone who can hit the 22 hr/wk study mark. Good luck!

I studied less than half that amount of time for each week and did well. I don't say that to brag, just to point out to future people taking this course that 22 hrs/week is not necessary across the board. And not that that makes you dumb or worse than I was at this class! I just want to make sure people have some perspective so they aren't scared off by that amount of study time. I know I would have been.

I usually finished a "week" of material in one sitting on a weekend. Not many people working full time could commit to making this another part-time job.

I studied less than half that amount of time for each week and did well. I don't say that to brag, just to point out to future people taking this course that 22 hrs/week is not necessary across the board. And not that that makes you dumb or worse than I was at this class! I just want to make sure people have some perspective so they aren't scared off by that amount of study time. I know I would have been.

I usually finished a "week" of material in one sitting on a weekend. Not many people working full time could commit to making this another part-time job.

That's impressive. Was it your first pass at orgo as well?

That's impressive. Was it your first pass at orgo as well?

It was, yes. I learn best through reading (can't remember a dang thing when I listen to a lecture), so I think the class played to my strengths by relying heavily on the textbook. I think it's very individualistic. No one approach will work for everyone.

Oh, and so you know, I got an 88% on my midterm, 84% on my final, and got curved to an A with Ellerbe, so don't be too discouraged by your midterm! That was a tough exam!

Now, biochem through UNE? I'm definitely studying more for this class than I did for Orgo 1 or 2.

Anyone going to take Chem II? I accidentally ordered two lab kits and they won't accept it back...I paid $300+ for it, willing to sell it for only $100. If you're taking Chem II, please PM me. It's brand new, unused. :/