THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys so don't have many options as I'm working full time but I am planning on taking biochem through UNE. Do you recommend one professor over another or is it all basically the same?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'll be signing up for general chemistry 2 soon via UNE. Hit me up if you'd like to correspond throughout the course!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hello Everyone! I am currently enrolled in Gen Chem 1010 and preparing to take the Midterm. I was wondering if there are any tips for the upcoming test and what I should concentrate my studying on? I have also taken Bio 1 and Bio 2 if anyone has any burning questions. Please PM me with Info or questions, or post on board if you think it will benefit others. Thank you in advance!!
Hey how was biology I and II ? I am currently taking it online with Sharon. Any good pointers to do well/things you would recommend doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey how was biology I and II ? I am currently taking it online with Sharon. Any good pointers to do well/things you would recommend doing?

I liked both Biology I and II with UNE but there are couple things I didn't care for much. For example, their questions bank is flawed in my opinion. There are many issues with content and correctness of questions and answers. I brought it up to the professors and had limited success changing the grade. This made me loose little bit of confidence for the Final because we don't get to see what we missed and therefore could not give feedback on any of the answers. I think feedback from students on how a question is presented should always be welcome, especially if students provide a valid case for changing the question. Also, there are forum based questions answers that kind of force students to participate in group discussions, but it's kind of busy work to be honest. You have to write about a specific topic they suggest, then you have to reply back to two other students and have a ongoing discussion on your post. Despite being easy points, it was kind of painful at times. I personally like to be very specific and detailed when it comes to science discussions so this part of the class felt like a giant hump I had to get over. Its not difficult but with everything else going on in life it can put unnecessary strain.

I really felt like I learned a lot in both classes. They give a lecture for each chapter they assign, so they were very good. I supplemented those lectures with Khan videos and other You Tube videos that added to my learning. The convenience of going at your own schedule was absolutely awesome. I am in the military so my schedule would have prevented me from attending a traditional school. Lab kits were pretty great too since you have to do the experiments at home and not only through a simulation that others might offer. Both finals were challenging but doable. Nothing too cosmic as long as you know the material. Both test were for the most part straight forward and they provide a final list of terms and concepts they want you to know for the final. Overall, I would recommend UNE BIOLOGY I/II but there are couple negatives that I mentioned above. I m not even going to get into the price but I guess it's the price to pay when you have such a restrictive schedule as I do.

As far as specific recommendations, I would recommend taking the final review sheet, and tailor your study to focus on those listed terms. I printed off the sheet and highlighted the concepts after I had a pretty good grasp and could talk to someone about it. After getting comfortable, I would then try to focus a little bit more in depth. Take your time on the quizzes and use internet references, research to double check your answer. I know its intuitive, but for some reason people just are too careless on the quizzes and it costs them points in the long run. Its open book, so use all available resources. Its for your benefit and your learning. Also, Sharon is very big on being asked to clarify questions. If there is something confusing on the quiz, don't hesitate to ask her. I would sometime take the chance when I was on the fence with a question on the quiz and would get it wrong. This is something they can help you with. If you have any other questions, let me know. I am studying for my Gen Chem Mid Term and starting to hate life.

For those who have completed Chem II, any of you guys by chance have any typed up study guide notes for the Final exam? Please PM me if any of you do, kindly appreciated.

Has anyone taken Anatomy through UNE? I am trying to decide whether or not to withdraw and take it at a local school, as it is feeling impossible, despite studying.
Did you end up taking the course through UNE? I'm in the same boat, and have less than a week to decide

Has anyone recently finished their UNE Ochem II class and lab with Dr. Rowe? I actually finished all of the course material about a month or two ago with the exception of the midterm and finals. We had a family emergency during that time and we moved as well so I wasn't able to take the exams.

With that said, I was emailed by the Dean of my the dental school I want to attend. He said that if I can finish my Ochem II course in the next week and if I get a good grade (I'm pretty sure he means an A) then they will interview me on February 24th! However, with 5 kids and little time to prepare (I still have 9 weeks in the course but he wants my grade now) I am feeling the pressure of performing well on all three exams (lecture midterm and final and lab final)! Even though I have over a 96% in the course...i know the exams are what truly determine my final score.

Does anyone have any recommendations of how to organize my time over the next few days so that I can get the most efficient study time? Are there any suggestions as to how to break up my time between NMR vs IR, pathways, etc?

I took decent notes for most of the course but as I mentioned previously, it has been a while since I took them. I was surprised at how much biochem the course covered so does anyone know if I need to go over mechanisms or is it advantageous to just study the slides?

Anyways...I'm not trying to look for handouts but I have to somehow study for the entire course in about 4 days and I have to get an A so I'm not even sure where to start with my studies!

Any help is appreciated and thanks!

Hi everyone,

So I started Biochem today and I had already read a few chapters before the class started. Im already accepted into my program and im trying not to stress (only need a C, but havent made below an A in a while). I have time to study. I would like to get through this class as soon as I can because the sooner I do, the sooner I can relax a little bit before the real school starts.

Ive never taken a class online like this and its honestly kinda scaring me. I guess I wanted to ask what was the most helpful to you guys? I mean was reading the chapters first worth it or a waste? Im trying to read them, but a lot of info and I looked ahead at the prequiz for week 1 and its asking stuff I had already read and not even highlighted....so Im not even sure Im accomplishing anything. Maybe I should watch the lectures first?

I have found some stuff on quizlet that looks good and can quiz myself, but in general, do you guys just really study the lectures, study guides and objectives? Is reading the book helpful? Is there anything thats mostly a waste and can cut out and focus more time on something more helpful?

Thank you so much in advance for all responses. I really wish I wasnt in a bind and needed this class over before the end of May.

I am currently taking my second class with UNE online (genetics and OChem so far) and what I have learned is that most often the lectures and texts matter little and that you are best off finding outside resources (other texts; youtube; tutors, you get the point) Consider this a "self-taught" class and you won't feel like you were left hanging. I am planning on taking Biochem next and have started to line up resources for that course. If you have not come across this one already, I think he may be pretty helpful. His name is Kevin Ahern and he is a Biochem prof. at another school. He is very passionate about the topic and has many resources available including a youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/oharow) He's even put together a free biochem textbook that so far looks very user friendly. Hope this is of help and good luck!

Hi all, I've read nearly all the posts in this forum. I'm in "don't have any other choice" boat. I've taken/completed Orgo 1 and 2 (both A's). I completed Orgo 1 in 8 weeks and Orgo 2 in 3.

I'm taking Physics now, but it's going to take me the whole 16 weeks; it's tough and math is my weakest subject.

I'm also taking Gen Chem labs (1 and 2, just the labs), and Gen Bio 2.

I'll try and post detailed accounts of my experience if this courses. However, just to throw it out there. I used a tutor for Orgo 1, which helped tremendously. Orgo 2 was very easy.

It is expensive...yes...but in the grad scheme of things, whats 5-7 grand for prereqs when you'll be facing $100K in medical school student loans?!?!

Email me if you have specific questions. I'd be happy to exchange resources or notes.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody else taking biochem from UNE and getting frustrated listening to Le Clair's EXCESSIVE spit swallowing while she lectures. It's almost unbearable and a huge distraction. The material is interesting and not that hard but trying to sift through that and all of the background noise is hard to do.

Has anyone recently finished their UNE Ochem II class and lab with Dr. Rowe? I actually finished all of the course material about a month or two ago with the exception of the midterm and finals. We had a family emergency during that time and we moved as well so I wasn't able to take the exams.

With that said, I was emailed by the Dean of my the dental school I want to attend. He said that if I can finish my Ochem II course in the next week and if I get a good grade (I'm pretty sure he means an A) then they will interview me on February 24th! However, with 5 kids and little time to prepare (I still have 9 weeks in the course but he wants my grade now) I am feeling the pressure of performing well on all three exams (lecture midterm and final and lab final)! Even though I have over a 96% in the course...i know the exams are what truly determine my final score.

Does anyone have any recommendations of how to organize my time over the next few days so that I can get the most efficient study time? Are there any suggestions as to how to break up my time between NMR vs IR, pathways, etc?

I took decent notes for most of the course but as I mentioned previously, it has been a while since I took them. I was surprised at how much biochem the course covered so does anyone know if I need to go over mechanisms or is it advantageous to just study the slides?

Anyways...I'm not trying to look for handouts but I have to somehow study for the entire course in about 4 days and I have to get an A so I'm not even sure where to start with my studies!

Any help is appreciated and thanks!

If you can get access to the book's quiz bank it may be beneficial in studying for the lecture portion of the exam.

I liked both Biology I and II with UNE but there are couple things I didn't care for much. For example, their questions bank is flawed in my opinion. There are many issues with content and correctness of questions and answers. I brought it up to the professors and had limited success changing the grade. This made me loose little bit of confidence for the Final because we don't get to see what we missed and therefore could not give feedback on any of the answers. I think feedback from students on how a question is presented should always be welcome, especially if students provide a valid case for changing the question. Also, there are forum based questions answers that kind of force students to participate in group discussions, but it's kind of busy work to be honest. You have to write about a specific topic they suggest, then you have to reply back to two other students and have a ongoing discussion on your post. Despite being easy points, it was kind of painful at times. I personally like to be very specific and detailed when it comes to science discussions so this part of the class felt like a giant hump I had to get over. Its not difficult but with everything else going on in life it can put unnecessary strain.

I really felt like I learned a lot in both classes. They give a lecture for each chapter they assign, so they were very good. I supplemented those lectures with Khan videos and other You Tube videos that added to my learning. The convenience of going at your own schedule was absolutely awesome. I am in the military so my schedule would have prevented me from attending a traditional school. Lab kits were pretty great too since you have to do the experiments at home and not only through a simulation that others might offer. Both finals were challenging but doable. Nothing too cosmic as long as you know the material. Both test were for the most part straight forward and they provide a final list of terms and concepts they want you to know for the final. Overall, I would recommend UNE BIOLOGY I/II but there are couple negatives that I mentioned above. I m not even going to get into the price but I guess it's the price to pay when you have such a restrictive schedule as I do.

As far as specific recommendations, I would recommend taking the final review sheet, and tailor your study to focus on those listed terms. I printed off the sheet and highlighted the concepts after I had a pretty good grasp and could talk to someone about it. After getting comfortable, I would then try to focus a little bit more in depth. Take your time on the quizzes and use internet references, research to double check your answer. I know its intuitive, but for some reason people just are too careless on the quizzes and it costs them points in the long run. Its open book, so use all available resources. Its for your benefit and your learning. Also, Sharon is very big on being asked to clarify questions. If there is something confusing on the quiz, don't hesitate to ask her. I would sometime take the chance when I was on the fence with a question on the quiz and would get it wrong. This is something they can help you with. If you have any other questions, let me know. I am studying for my Gen Chem Mid Term and starting to hate life.

Ah! Thank you so much for your in-depth response I really appreciate it! I know exactly what you mean when it comes to all the tedious homework assignments/quizzes/discussion. I am currently taking the course and although I am doing very well in it, it does take a long time finish with all the intricate assignments. I have a question though, what final review sheet are you referring to? Are you taking about the learning objectives of each chapter and filing them out, or is there something that I am missing?

Btw, I hear you on the prices! I am a Canadian student and it seems to me that these prices (with the course, lab kit, international shipment fees) are just crazy! But, just be positive it is an investment for our futures (lol positive thinking).

How is chemistry going? I was planning on taking Orgo I, II as well as biochemistry with UNE.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah! Thank you so much for your in-depth response I really appreciate it! I know exactly what you mean when it comes to all the tedious homework assignments/quizzes/discussion. I am currently taking the course and although I am doing very well in it, it does take a long time finish with all the intricate assignments. I have a question though, what final review sheet are you referring to? Are you taking about the learning objectives of each chapter and filing them out, or is there something that I am missing?

Btw, I hear you on the prices! I am a Canadian student and it seems to me that these prices (with the course, lab kit, international shipment fees) are just crazy! But, just be positive it is an investment for our futures (lol positive thinking).

How is chemistry going? I was planning on taking Orgo I, II as well as biochemistry with UNE.

You can find a final exam review sheet under week 15. Know the topics on that list and you'll be good for the final exam! I took Bio1 with Dr.Fisher, and I definitely plan to take any other course that she offers. She's helpful and available, and I'd say her lectures are pretty enjoyable and useful.

You can find a final exam review sheet under week 15. Know the topics on that list and you'll be good for the final exam! I took Bio1 with Dr.Fisher, and I definitely plan to take any other course that she offers. She's helpful and available, and I'd say her lectures are pretty enjoyable and useful.

FP22 just like gudday012 said, you can find the review sheet for the final under week 15. Although, it doesn't specify the depth of knowledge for the test. I would ensure that you at least have a general sense of the terms listed. Obviously know all your families of genus and be able to specify which one belongs to a specific genus. I didn't really spend the time on this part and hurt me a little on the final. I also have a difficult time memorizing so this is very difficult for me.

Chemistry is not fun at all to me. It's definitely interesting, but very difficult when you are teaching it to yourself. I found Tyler Dewitt's tutorial videos to be VERY helpful. The only saving grace for Gen Chem 1/2 is that it is open book. I still didn't do well on the mid term, it was mostly to do with my lack of working the post chapter problems. I am going to adjust my studying strategy for the final for Chem because working more problems will ultimately help more than knowing the general detailed knowledge of all concepts. Its very heavy on word problems and they add a lot of fluff to try to confuse the reader.

Can anyone comment on the available Biochem professors? Recommendations on who to take the class with (or who to avoid) would be great!

Can anyone who's taken biochem give me advice on the unit 1 exam?

OK everybody - I just signed up for General Chemistry 2 w/ lab with Salvatore that runs March 1st - June 21st hit me up to correspond if taking it - it'd be nice to have someone to share resources with and maybe a study partner.

I just finished Organic Chemistry 2 from UNE Online today. I'll try and give you my honest take on it with info I was looking for before I took the class. I received an A in both the lecture and the lab.

Course Info

Course: Organic Chemistry 1021 and 1021L (lab portion)
Instructor: Dr. Rebecca Rowe
Time Taken: January 18th to February 25th, 2017 (5 1/2 weeks)
Books: General, Organic, and Biochemistry (8th ed.) by Denniston (you do NOT need the online access code, so purchase this book used). Carey Supplement from UNE (must be purchased directly from UNE, as it is just one chapter taken from another book). I also bought the student solutions/study guide manual for the Denniston text but never even opened it.

Format

Lecture:

• Three discussion boards throughout course (complete waste of time and energy, but they count for 12% of the final grade)
  • First section (6 weeks) all come from online lectures and Carey Supplement material. Kind of an amalgamation of material. One quiz for each week.
  • Mid-term exam during 7th week (this exam was my worst performance, an 88%. I still suspect that I got marked wrong for questions that were actually test errors, as I had time to check everything in my book and notes before submitting.)
  • Second section (9 weeks) comes from Denniston text. One quiz for each week.
  • Final exam during week 16

Lab:
  • 9 labs conducted through a virtual online lab (free with the class). One lab in paper format.
  • 10 quizzes, one for each lab
  • Final lab exam during week 16.

Why I took this class

I work full time banker's hours, and my local community college didn't offer Organic Chem at night. UNE was the only option that I could find that was completely online with the lab. Lots of the other courses mentioned here require at least some in-person time. UNE was completely flexible within the 16 week time frame. After checking with the veterinary college I'm applying to and making sure they accepted this class, I enrolled.

Good:

This class was very easy. I completed it very quickly, even while working full time. The difficulty is nothing compared to the first semester of Org Chem through UNE. The first half is more difficult than the second, but both are very doable.

The first half was all about lab analysis techniques. Extractions, infrared spectroscopy, proton NMR, carbon NMR, and mass spectroscopy are the main components. Most of it was straightforward.

I really enjoyed the second half of the semester. The labs corresponded well with the lectures, and the material is a lot more applicable to the medical field, as it is basic biochemistry.

Bad:

The first 2 weeks, everything you learn is from the lectures. I hated that, as I'd much rather read. The topic of extraction is constantly referred to throughout the course, but is very lightly taught during the first week. This should have been covered better for the amount of emphasis they put on it.

As with Org Chem 1 from UNE, I again had issues with questions being marked wrong when I really got them right. Dr. Rowe was not very helpful when this came up. Even after admitting some of them were wrong, she refused to change them "unless it made a difference in my final grade." This is lazy and inexcusable to me.

My suggestions to do well

• Listen to the lectures during the first half. Most of the quiz questions are direct quotes from her slides.
  • Lectures during the second half mostly regurgitate material from the book, but they do help you to know what is important in the book and what is not. The book gives way more detail than is actually tested on.
  • Do the practice questions from the Carey supplement.
  • Skip the practice questions from the Denniston text.
  • Make sure to really understand extraction and the spectroscopy material, as it will be used in all the later labs and final exams.
  • Keep very detailed lab notes. You can use them on the lab final, and they will help you immensely.
  • Everything is open book and open notes. Print out an "index" for your book so you can flip to pages quickly during the exams.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone!

I am taking UNE Online Medical Biology I with Fisher and Medical Physiology with Johnson, Nordlie, and Norton. I'm taking these courses to replace a C and B for a prerequisite gpa boost! I've been in contact with the schools I am applying to, and they will accept the credits. It's pretty crucial for me to make A's >than 94 for full quality points!

Could anyone give me detailed advice/helpful tips/effective exam prep techniques in either? Especially the Biology Final!
Also, for Medical Physiology, does Dr. Nordlie create all four of the exams or will each professor create their exams with their own format?

Thanks for any and all help!

Hi,

I am planning to sign up for the biochem course from UNE. I was wondering how you we're able to pull off a B in 4 1/2 week because from what everyone is saying it's impossible to do well in it.

Please share your thoughts. How much of a time commitment is it? I am so nervous about taking this class.

Thank you for all your help :)

-Tai

UNE Biochem is just straight up stupid course and the way its been taught is even more stupid. But why should I be complaining, I pulled of a B in just 4 1/2 wks...!!!!
Willing to help anyone going through this torture course PM me

Good evening!

I am looking to take UNE biochem this summer. Can you give me an idea of how you studied? Did you rely heavily on the lecture videos or book? How much time did you spend each day studying?

How did you do in the class? I am so nervous about taking this class. I don't have any other option and I need to make a competitive grade.

Thank you for any info you can offer.

-Tai

Just finished Biochem..ohh boy! it was a hard one.....I can help anyone if they wish...PM me:)

Hi,

I am planning to sign up for the biochem course from UNE. I was wondering how you we're able to pull off a B in 4 1/2 week because from what everyone is saying it's impossible to do well in it.

Please share your thoughts. How much of a time commitment is it? I am so nervous about taking this class.

Thank you for all your help :)

-Tai
I'm more than 3/4 of the way through the Biochem course and I really don't find it nearly as bad as people are saying. I haven't gotten anything less than an 88% on an assessment. It's very doable.

I have 4W's, but I feel like dropping my Gen. Chem 2 course to save my sanity.
Currently, I am not able to understand the material at hand. Do you think dropping the course (...and accumulate 5 W's) is viable?
I'm not going to waste my time this semester; I will take this course at elsewhere or through UNE. Also, take Ochem if I can advance fast enough.

Hi everyone!

I have been reading this post for quite some time and was wondering if anyone could reach out and help me with a few things!

I am going to complete a post bacc with the majority of the classes through UNE online because I work full time as a visual therapist.

I was wondering if anyone had advise on what classes/how many to take at once. My undergrad was in philosophy and speech pathology to give you a little bit of a background.

I am still unsure if I will take ALL premed classes again or not. In college I did not think I was going to medical school and therefore I didn't to particularly well in the hard sciences. I got a C in Gen Chem 1 and Physics 1. I also got a C+ in College Algebra and a B+ in Statistics.

Does anyone think I should retake the classes I got a C in? Also, to note, I would take precalulus instead of college algebra from my CC. I must also note that the classes I retake will not be a grade replacement because I have graduated from undergrad.

Another question I have is if it is necessary to take psychology to get into medical school. I did a psychology internship (2 credits) that involved research.

Lastly, is anyone selling old books/notes?

I honestly appreciate any feedback I can get. I am pretty overwhelmed right now trying to plan what classes to take. I am unsure when I should apply to medical school (May? June? July? Of 2018). With that being said, does anyone think that I can get all prerequisites done by then AND take the MCAT?

I have thousands of hours of healthcare experience from working full time, strong letters of rec, UGPA of 3.0 but my major GPA is 3.5 and my SGPA is probably low from the C's I got but I cannot change that. I also have volunteer work, extracurriculars, research, and shadow experienceJust hoping to do well post bacc and hoping they weigh it heavily that I did well.

Thanks!
-S

Hi everyone!

I have been reading this post for quite some time and was wondering if anyone could reach out and help me with a few things!

I am going to complete a post bacc with the majority of the classes through UNE online because I work full time as a visual therapist.

I was wondering if anyone had advise on what classes/how many to take at once. My undergrad was in philosophy and speech pathology to give you a little bit of a background.

I am still unsure if I will take ALL premed classes again or not. In college I did not think I was going to medical school and therefore I didn't to particularly well in the hard sciences. I got a C in Gen Chem 1 and Physics 1. I also got a C+ in College Algebra and a B+ in Statistics.

Does anyone think I should retake the classes I got a C in? Also, to note, I would take precalulus instead of college algebra from my CC. I must also note that the classes I retake will not be a grade replacement because I have graduated from undergrad.

Another question I have is if it is necessary to take psychology to get into medical school. I did a psychology internship (2 credits) that involved research.

Lastly, is anyone selling old books/notes?

I honestly appreciate any feedback I can get. I am pretty overwhelmed right now trying to plan what classes to take. I am unsure when I should apply to medical school (May? June? July? Of 2018). With that being said, does anyone think that I can get all prerequisites done by then AND take the MCAT?

I have thousands of hours of healthcare experience from working full time, strong letters of rec, UGPA of 3.0 but my major GPA is 3.5 and my SGPA is probably low from the C's I got but I cannot change that. I also have volunteer work, extracurriculars, research, and shadow experienceJust hoping to do well post bacc and hoping they weigh it heavily that I did well.

Thanks!
-S

How many pre-reqs do you still need to take/are planning on retaking? If you're talking about all of them, I don't think it's possible to do in a year and subsequently study and take the MCAT also in that year. You need about 3-4 months to dedicate to solely studying for the MCAT. As far as needing to take psych, some schools have it as a requirement, some do not. But it is on the MCAT so if you aren't familiar with the subject, you might want to consider taking the course.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How many pre-reqs do you still need to take/are planning on retaking? If you're talking about all of them, I don't think it's possible to do in a year and subsequently study and take the MCAT also in that year. You need about 3-4 months to dedicate to solely studying for the MCAT. As far as needing to take psych, some schools have it as a requirement, some do not. But it is on the MCAT so if you aren't familiar with the subject, you might want to consider taking the course.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you so much for the feedback I truly appreciate it. Right now I'm 21 (turning 22 in June) and am just nervous if I don't get in. I'm very confused by the application cycles for schools. Understanding that you should apply in the summer, does that mean you're applying for the next fall?

I live in CT and would really like to stay here and to to QU or UCONN.

I would have to take 6 classes if I do not retake any classes. If I retake the classes I will have to take 9 classes.

The only reason I felt it doable to apply in 2018 was because I will solely be focusing the next few months on the MCAT material. I was also thinking of taking a week off to study before the test.

I'm self motivated and a great test taker but I know the MCAT is a whole other level. I appreciate your tips and they are definitely helping me in the decision making process.

Thank you so much for the feedback I truly appreciate it. Right now I'm 21 (turning 22 in June) and am just nervous if I don't get in. I'm very confused by the application cycles for schools. Understanding that you should apply in the summer, does that mean you're applying for the next fall?

I live in CT and would really like to stay here and to to QU or UCONN.

I would have to take 6 classes if I do not retake any classes. If I retake the classes I will have to take 9 classes.

The only reason I felt it doable to apply in 2018 was because I will solely be focusing the next few months on the MCAT material. I was also thinking of taking a week off to study before the test.

I'm self motivated and a great test taker but I know the MCAT is a whole other level. I appreciate your tips and they are definitely helping me in the decision making process.
The application cycle starts in June of every year for matriculation of the following fall. For example, if you apply this coming June (2017) it would be for a start date in Fall of 2018. It would be smart to take all the classes you need before studying for the MCAT. If you haven't taken the classes that have content on the MCAT (or have taken them, but performed poorly), then it will be difficult to get a good score. Not impossible, but significantly more difficult if you aren't familiar with the material prior to studying. As far as where to apply, you need to apply broadly, especially since you said your science GPA is low. You should also consider applying both MD and DO since you are non-traditional and don't have super solid stats. Will depend heavily on your MCAT score as well.

The application cycle starts in June of every year for matriculation of the following fall. For example, if you apply this coming June (2017) it would be for a start date in Fall of 2018. It would be smart to take all the classes you need before studying for the MCAT. If you haven't taken the classes that have content on the MCAT (or have taken them, but performed poorly), then it will be difficult to get a good score. Not impossible, but significantly more difficult if you aren't familiar with the material prior to studying. As far as where to apply, you need to apply broadly, especially since you said your science GPA is low. You should also consider applying both MD and DO since you are non-traditional and don't have super solid stats. Will depend heavily on your MCAT score as well.

Thank you again for reaching out! I am looking int staying in the New England area; do you think that is possible? Also, hypothetically if I do well on post bacc (say 3.8) and score high on the MCAT will M.D schools look at me? (such as Quinnipiac and Uconn) Also, do you have any recommendations on schools I should look into ?

Thank you again for reaching out! I am looking int staying in the New England area; do you think that is possible? Also, hypothetically if I do well on post bacc (say 3.8) and score high on the MCAT will M.D schools look at me? (such as Quinnipiac and Uconn) Also, do you have any recommendations on schools I should look into ?
I'd say you could get looked at for Quinnipiac - they tend to be more forgiving with stats. Idk about Uconn. UNECOM is a DO school so if you want to stay in New England, I'd look into that. Unless you have stellar stats, you can't be super picky when it comes to where you apply/end up going if accepted.

I'd say you could get looked at for Quinnipiac - they tend to be more forgiving with stats. Idk about Uconn. UNECOM is a DO school so if you want to stay in New England, I'd look into that. Unless you have stellar stats, you can't be super picky when it comes to where you apply/end up going if accepted.

Thank you so much! I will look into UNECOM as well. I truly appreciate you reaching out and helping me!

I am getting ready to take the general chemisty I midterm. Anyone have any tips or sugesstions?

Thanks!

There's an evaluation at the end of every weekly section that is worth 20% of your grade. At the end of every Unit there is an exam. Unit 1 and 3 exams are 30% of your grade and Unit 2 and 4 exams are 60% of your grade. Exams 2 and 4 are proctored online, someone watches you via webcam.
You have the option to retake unit 2 or unit 4 exams but only one of them not both. Units 1 and 3 are also online and "closed notes, closed book" exams that are not proctored.

Unit 1 is a beast! It's ridiculously long and has tons of information but each unit after is less weekly however with much more content; if that makes sense.

Hi - Thanks for the comment. Just wondering if you happen to know if the questions are the same when you retake the exam? Can't decide if I should risk it or not. I'd really appreciate your help.

Halfway through Biochemistry, currently holding an A. We will see if that lasts ...lol. The class is not bad, everything you need to do well is provided you just need to stay focused, which can be hard because there is a ton of detail.

Hope you did well in the course!!! Just wondering if you ended up retaking one of the exams?

Hello everyone!

I am taking UNE Online Medical Biology I with Fisher and Medical Physiology with Johnson, Nordlie, and Norton. I'm taking these courses to replace a C and B for a prerequisite gpa boost! I've been in contact with the schools I am applying to, and they will accept the credits. It's pretty crucial for me to make A's >than 94 for full quality points!

Could anyone give me detailed advice/helpful tips/effective exam prep techniques in either? Especially the Biology Final!
Also, for Medical Physiology, does Dr. Nordlie create all four of the exams or will each professor create their exams with their own format?

Thanks for any and all help!

I took med bio I and just finished up med bio II, A's in both. Ginger Fisher is the course creator however your instructor/facilitator will likely be Sharon Rapach. This was my first sequence of courses online so I don't have much of a basis for comparison.

The Good
You can fly through this course if you study every day. I'd say 95% of needed quiz answers can be found in the book or lecture notes before you even learn the material. The other 5% is hiding in the audio of lectures, totally un-emphasized and unbulleted. I completed med bio I in ~10 weeks while working 40+ hrs each week. The instructor is really great with answering any questions you have in a timely fashion. Very frequently I would leave a lab or module quiz partially completed while awaiting a response on specific questions from the instructor. Asking the instructor for clarity on questions will be crucial to your success. It is not a good tactic to try and argue your case after you have already received a lab or module grade--those points are likely not coming back even if they should. Your grade in discussion topics can always be brought up to a perfect score if you make modifications based on instructor feedback.

The Bad
The course is unnecessarily difficult in many ways...the worst being that nearly every single lab or module quiz will have at least one question that is so poorly worded or overly simplified that the 'correct' answer is indistinguishable from the incorrect answers. It's really important that you make an honest effort on these but message the instructor for help before you submit the quiz and make your case clear in a constructive way. She is aware of these questions but the red tape involved in the course design limits her ability to correct the flaws. I only performed labs or portions of them when the lab quiz had questions that required lab results. I did spend the time to fully understand the purpose of each lab and what certain results would mean. I found my lab kit to be frustrating, as I had a few critical pieces that were broken and needed to be re-engineered or else I wouldn't have sensible results to answer a lab question.

Overall
Do the homework, max out each discussion grade, and spend the time needed to ace every lab/quiz possible. Absolutely message the professor when in doubt, she really is great. Whatever you need to do, make sure you know the final exam review sheet up and down--these and only these topics will appear on the final exam. Overall the final exam is on par with the module quizzes if you remove the untested material. The review sheet is the key, best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I took med bio I and just finished up med bio II, A's in both. Ginger Fisher is the course creator however your instructor/facilitator will likely be Sharon Rapach. This was my first sequence of courses online so I don't have much of a basis for comparison.

The Good
You can fly through this course if you study every day. I'd say 95% of needed quiz answers can be found in the book or lecture notes before you even learn the material. The other 5% is hiding in the audio of lectures, totally un-emphasized and unbulleted. I completed med bio I in ~10 weeks while working 40+ hrs each week. The instructor is really great with answering any questions you have in a timely fashion. Very frequently I would leave a lab or module quiz partially completed while awaiting a response on specific questions from the instructor. Asking the instructor for clarity on questions will be crucial to your success. It is not a good tactic to try and argue your case after you have already received a lab or module grade--those points are likely not coming back even if they should. Your grade in discussion topics can always be brought up to a perfect score if you make modifications based on instructor feedback.

The Bad
The course is unnecessarily difficult in many ways...the worst being that nearly every single lab or module quiz will have at least one question that is so poorly worded or overly simplified that the 'correct' answer is indistinguishably from the incorrect answers. It's really important that you make an honest effort on these but message the instructor for help before you submit the quiz and make your case clear in a constructive way. She is aware of these questions but the red tape involved in the course design limits her ability to correct the flaws. I only performed labs or portions of them when the lab quiz had questions that required lab results. I did spend the time to fully understand the purpose of each lab and what certain results would mean. I found my lab kit to be frustrating, as I had a few critical pieces that were broken and needed to be re-engineered or else I wouldn't have sensible results to answer a lab question.

Overall
Do the homework, max out each discussion grade, and spend the time needed to ace every lab/quiz possible. Absolutely message the professor when in doubt, she really is great. Whatever you need to do, make sure you know the final exam review sheet up and down--these and only these topics will appear on the final exam. Overall the final exam is on par with the module quizzes if you remove the untested material. The review sheet is the key, best of luck!

Thank you so much for your input! I have been keeping up with my quizzes and doing well in them. What was incredibly annoying is the fact that my lab kit took an extraordinary amount of time to reach me, so I am a little behind because of that. I was JUST doing my review sheet now and thinking to myself "I hope this is whats going to be on the exam otherwise this is going to be a waste of time". I really appreciate the input!

The only thing I find annoying about this course is the meticulous "busy work" they give us. The homework, which has 80 questions each section takes far too long. Other than that I would recommend this course to anyone (as of now I will post an update later).

Thanks again for your insight!! I just registered for Anatomy and Biochemistry... fingers crossed these courses will go alright!

Thank you so much for your input! I have been keeping up with my quizzes and doing well in them. What was incredibly annoying is the fact that my lab kit took an extraordinary amount of time to reach me, so I am a little behind because of that. I was JUST doing my review sheet now and thinking to myself "I hope this is whats going to be on the exam otherwise this is going to be a waste of time". I really appreciate the input!

The only thing I find annoying about this course is the meticulous "busy work" they give us. The homework, which has 80 questions each section takes far too long. Other than that I would recommend this course to anyone (as of now I will post an update later).

Thanks again for your insight!! I just registered for Anatomy and Biochemistry... fingers crossed these courses will go alright!

No problem! Actually, I'll be in biochemistry in a month or so. I'll message you then and maybe you can give me the rundown?

Anyone taking Organic Chemistry 1 that started Wednesday?? I started and I'm kinda worried

Anyone taking Organic Chemistry 1 that started Wednesday?? I started and I'm kinda worried

I'm on week 5 with Ellerbe and this is my first pass with organic. I think the book is outstanding, mastering the problems in the back of each chapter seems to set you up really well for the weekly quiz. Lectures haven't brought much value for me so far. I have found no surprises with the quiz questions to date, less one (see below). The most difficult part is hitting 2.5 min/question pace. Open-book is meaningless if you run out of time, always keep that in mind. I would get used to timing yourself for the quizzes.

Our book, and inherently the pool of questions for quizzes/exams--is derived from a much broader organic chemistry book. I have found a quiz question or two so far whose concept is not taught in our text or lecture. Message the professor if you feel you have been wronged by one of these questions and she may help you out. These questions shouldn't be in the pool but mistakes happen.

Good luck with the course!

I'm on week 5 with Ellerbe and this is my first pass with organic. I think the book is outstanding, mastering the problems in the back of each chapter seems to set you up really well for the weekly quiz. Lectures haven't brought much value for me so far. I have found no surprises with the quiz questions to date, less one (see below). The most difficult part is hitting 2.5 min/question pace. Open-book is meaningless if you run out of time, always keep that in mind. I would get used to timing yourself for the quizzes.

Our book, and inherently the pool of questions for quizzes/exams--is derived from a much broader organic chemistry book. I have found a quiz question or two so far whose concept is not taught in our text or lecture. Message the professor if you feel you have been wronged by one of these questions and she may help you out. These questions shouldn't be in the pool but mistakes happen.

Good luck with the course!

Thanks! So are you taking the entire 16 weeks or are you accelerating it? I am trying to accelerate mine - how is the lab?

Thanks! So are you taking the entire 16 weeks or are you accelerating it? I am trying to accelerate mine - how is the lab?

Working as quickly as I can but probably only averaging 1.5 modules/wk. I was able to push 2 modules/wk in med bio I and II but ochem has been a different animal so far.

Wanted to update, just finished Med Bio 2. I have now taken Bio 1, 2, and Gen Chem 1 through UNE. Both the Biology classes by Dr. Fisher were easy as far as getting an A. She did a great deal more instructing on her lessons than Dr. Rowe in Chemistry (who did little to none). I finished Bio 2 in 4 weeks and I work and have kids. It was not a big time commitment. I would take it again if I had it to do over. Now considering starting Biochem... that one has me a bit nervous from the reviews, but so far so good.

I have the option of taking Biology I and II at a local CC, or with UNE. I am so nervous about this decision because once I start, there is no stopping. I actually inboxed you, but let me know if you can quell any fears or if you think in class would be preferable, even though it would add a year to my timeline. Also, would taking another course (Chem I at Dallas CC) add a great deal of difficulty to the UNE Med Bio course, or no worries?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hey guys, I completed Med Biol. I and II with Dr. Fisher. Finished the course with an "A" and "A-". To be honest, the only things I liked was her audio lectures. It seemed that the study guide and powerpoint didn't help much at all. To do well in the class, you'd have to read the book and know the content and pay close attention to her lectures. My mistake for Biol. II was that I didn't read as much and focused heavily on the study guide provided for me. Sadly to say, I didn't do too hot, but fortunately for me she curved the final. Any more questions, feel free to PM me. I also completed Chem. II through UNE and finished with an "A".

I have the option of taking Biology I and II at a local CC, or with UNE. I am so nervous about this decision because once I start, there is no stopping. I actually inboxed you, but let me know if you can quell any fears or if you think in class would be preferable, even though it would add a year to my timeline. Also, would taking another course (Chem I at Dallas CC) add a great deal of difficulty to the UNE Med Bio course, or no worries?

Thanks for any help you can give.

It really comes down to whether or not you feel you can succeed in a self-paced online environment. The pros of an onsite class are that there is a set pace of 16 weeks, direct access to the instructor, office hours, and easy access to peers to study with. These online courses will allow you to watch lectures as many times as you need, work through the course faster than 16 weeks, and learn from anywhere anytime. Either way you will be studying a lot if you want an A, just different games you will have to figure out. The in-class vs. full 16-week online course will likely differ only in your need to be self-motivated to get necessary studying done.

For the record, UNE's biochem is unbelievable. I wish despite everything I had entry to the old addresses, as some were superior to anything the ones I have gotten in therapeutic school as to simplicity of comprehension and profundity.