***The Official UIC Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance thread***

YES!! I have an interview on the 21st. So nervous it's my first interview!

It is my first as well! What have you been doing to prepare? Best of luck to you:)

Members don't see this ad.

It is my first as well! What have you been doing to prepare? Best of luck to you:)
I've mostly just been doing mock interviews and practicing general interview questions! It seems to be helping me. how about you??

Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone mind sharing their interview experience and what the day was like?

Would anyone mind sharing their interview experience and what the day was like?

After a brief introduction with an adcom, you jump straight into the interviews. I had a close-file interview with two people: one professor and one adcom staff. They took turns asking questions. Some questions I can recall are 1)What is an important ethical principle to you and have you witnessed your peers cheating in the past 2)Tell us about your volunteering experience 3)Why dentistry and not public health? 4) What is your favorite dental procedure... (lol I couldn't answer this very intelligently) 5) UIC is very diverse. How do you accept people that are different from you?

I wouldn't say my interview was a super chill and conversational experience. My interviewers were a bit stiff and it really felt like I was being judged, rather than having a conversation. But that could depend on who you get as your interviewer!

After the interview, you talk with current students, go on a tour and conclude with a presentation. The students and staff are extremely friendly! Good luck to everyone with their interviews coming up :)

Reactions: 1 user
For those that have interviews lined up or have been on interviews, can you say when your application was complete and sent to UIC? I am active duty military and have always been an Illinois resident. I filed late because of a military obligation. Stats are 3.80 sGPA 3.70 GPA 22AA 22TS 19PAT.

does anyone know if UIC has given out OOS interviews? My supplemental application was received by the school on August 20th.

I too would like an answer on the OOS question.

:soexcited:Interview #1!! UIC October 26th!!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have a good sense of the cost of the school, in state? It's 15k for tuition for a semester, but I am guessing years 2-4 are 3 semesters long-- is that right? Is ballpark 200k about right for 4 years, fees, tuition, etc included?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a good sense of the cost of the school, in state? It's 15k for tuition for a semester, but I am guessing years 2-4 are 3 semesters long-- is that right? Is ballpark 200k about right for 4 years, fees, tuition, etc included?

1st year total cost is $45,910 ($70,910 with living expenses)
2nd, 3rd, 4th years: $68,094 ($93,094 with living expenses)

All 4 years total is about $350,000.

Source: ADEA 2016 Official Guide

I think this is one of the quietest school threads.. anything new? lol

I think this is one of the quietest school threads.. anything new? lol
I agree. I expected more chatting on this thread (there's only 2 pages). UIC is a pretty good dental school.

Can't wait for December.....

Reactions: 2 users
Still waiting to hear from UIC. Well I submitted mine late though so probably few more weeks..

Whoever has gotten an interview...what was the timeline from the time you submitted until the interview offer and what were the changes on your adea page

Whoever has gotten an interview...what was the timeline from the time you submitted until the interview offer and what were the changes on your adea page
I submitted everything around the first or second week of June, and then I received an invite in the beginning of September. The AADSAS status changed from "Received/Application Complete" to "Invited for Interview."

I submitted 2nd batch so i'm starting to get really anxious with the silence..
my friends are already at UIC and it sounds like a great school. my family would be less than an hour drive away, too. Hoping for good news sometime soon...

I submitted 2nd batch so i'm starting to get really anxious with the silence..
my friends are already at UIC and it sounds like a great school. my family would be less than an hour drive away, too. Hoping for good news sometime soon...
What did they say about the pbl curriculum?

I applied late in the cycle so here goes. AADSAS mail out date 10/2/2015. Interview invite 10/12/2015. I interviewed on 10/26/2015. Mind you, I am an IL resident and in the military.

As far as the pbl, the school obviously touts its success, but talking with some of the students there, you get a mixed bag of views. I will say the majority of the students that came to talk to us did not like it. Please take that with a grain of salt because only four students came in the "break" room to give us their unbiased opinions. Three out of the four didn't care for it and one liked it. However, all of them said that it was tolerable and that it shouldn't be a deterrent from going to the school.

What did they say about the pbl curriculum?

unfortunately, what they told me was similar to AfriqueDMD's response.

They personally don't like it and wish they had lectures instead. If they wanted to be self-taught they could do it on their own without paying tuition.
Only good thing is that it forces them to go to small group discussions rather than skipping lectures. However, they said they can't compare it to the other traditional curriculum and so they aren't too sure if PBL is better or worse.
But what really matters is that they got the acceptance to dental school.

To me, I think that since UIC is an accredited school with a great history, PBL is probably not all that bad.
And the great part is that there is no lack of patients for clinical years.

unfortunately, what they told me was similar to AfriqueDMD's response.

They personally don't like it and wish they had lectures instead. If they wanted to be self-taught they could do it on their own without paying tuition.
Only good thing is that it forces them to go to small group discussions rather than skipping lectures. However, they said they can't compare it to the other traditional curriculum and so they aren't too sure if PBL is better or worse.
But what really matters is that they got the acceptance to dental school.

To me, I think that since UIC is an accredited school with a great history, PBL is probably not all that bad.
And the great part is that there is no lack of patients for clinical years.
When did you interview at UIC?

I too would like an answer on the OOS question.

Me too! I guess UIC must be really really difficult for OOS applicants, since this is the first cycle they're accepting OOS anyways. They're even tougher than UConn :(

interview invite this evening!!
mail out date was 09/18
Illinois Resident

Has anyone who interviewed already had their status change from "invited for interview"?

My heart literally skipped a beat when I read this " University of Illinois at Chicago: Student arrested in investigation into threats that closed the University of Chicago on Monday" I obviously assumed UIC was closed today! Of ALL days!!!!!Then I read the article and realized that University of Chicago and not UIC was closed. Whew! Okay back to counting down the minutes...:nailbiting:

My heart literally skipped a beat when I read this " University of Illinois at Chicago: Student arrested in investigation into threats that closed the University of Chicago on Monday" I obviously assumed UIC was closed today! Of ALL days!!!!!Then I read the article and realized that University of Chicago and not UIC was closed. Whew! Okay back to counting down the minutes...:nailbiting:
I saw that too earlier- I was like whaaaaaaa

Best of luck to everyone!!!! Fingers crossed.

OMG!!!! UIC Offer made via email at 0942 EST!!!!!! Wow!!!! In shock!!!!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats everyone! Does anyone know how/when/if we find out if we are waitlisted or rejected if we did not get an email this am?

Same! Congrats everyone!

^eager to find that out too. Has the entire first batch of acceptances been sent? If we haven't received anything yet (12/1/2015 12:15PM Central), what and when can we expect anything?