***The Official UCSF Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Based on class of 2020 and 2019 thread, yes. Even though their class is around 98-100 ppl they accepted like 60 spots max on dec 1, when other schools do much more because they know not all applicants will accept the offer.
UCSF is not like any other school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone tomorrow, UCSF is my dream school! Maybe, it's my spiritual side talking but God has a plan for all of us :)

Reactions: 7 users
I got the call a little while ago. I am crying right now. ACCEPTED!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted OOS, now to decide between UCSF or my in-state school UF

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the call, I'm Accepted!!!!

just got an email from them saying they are done with the first round of acceptances

Reactions: 1 users
I got the email saying they were done with the first round and that they were still considering me. Is this basically a soft rejection?

The earliest date we MIGHT hear from them is mid February, then??

Reactions: 1 user
I got the email saying they were done with the first round and that they were still considering me. Is this basically a soft rejection?

The earliest date we MIGHT hear from them is mid February, then??
I've been reading some things and it's still entirely possible to get accepted, rejected, or waitlist. Anything is possible at this point. At least at UCSF I think they give waitlist numbers so you know where you stand! Also, people last year heard back around end of January. Like January 21. And I think by the end of February you get a definite answer if nothing before then.

I've been reading some things and it's still entirely possible to get accepted, rejected, or waitlist. Anything is possible at this point. At least at UCSF I think they give waitlist numbers so you know where you stand! Also, people last year heard back around end of January. Like January 21. And I think by the end of February you get a definite answer if nothing before then.

I see.. thank you. So I won't be hearing before December ends?

I see.. thank you. So I won't be hearing before December ends?
Yeah, unfortunately I don't think so. I'm unhappy that I'm probably going to be wasting $1000 on a deposit for another school while waiting.

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think so. I'm unhappy that I'm probably going to be wasting $1000 on a deposit for another school while waiting.
Same. Wow well there's basically no point of life anymore. I'm done.

For those of you that have been accepted, have you received an email notification yet? as they mentioned in the call.

Yeah, during my interview students mentioned that it is very common to get accepted off the waitlist. It is not unusual at all. As mentioned above, UCSF ranks their waitlist, so you know exactly where you stand. Not getting an acceptance today does not equate to a soft rejection at all.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! Do you happen to know if people who interview automatically get on the waiting list? ( since I hear there are numbers in the 100s on the waitlist and only 288 people are going to be interview this cycle) or is there still a high possibility of being rejected after interviewing?

I would say half of the people who interview will get accepted/waitlisted and half will get rejected

Has anyone called to ask about their place on the waitlist?

Does anyone know why this school sends out very little acceptances on dec 1?

The class only has 90 spots.

Sending out 60 offers for 90 spots is quite a lot. They give those people a month to put down a deposit. Since they've only interviewed ~half of their pool, they want to give a fair shot to those who haven't yet interviewed. They accept/reject the January interview people pretty soon after their interviews. The rest of the spots are sporadic based on the waitlist.

Hope this helps!

Have you guys received the background check email yet? on the previous emails, it said it would take between 1-3 days, but I still have not gotten anything yet.

Just got an email saying the background check is delayed and will receive further info as soon as there is an update!

For those who've had interviews/acceptances, do you guys have any tips?

For those with offers: what are you thinking?

Any other OOS people who are trying to think through this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those who've had interviews/acceptances, do you guys have any tips?

Just be yourself. Really nothing else to it. The interviews are one on one, one with a student and another with a faculty member. It's closed file so you have to spend a little more time talking about your background at first.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is there an area where I can leave my luggage during the interview?

Last edited:
how many interviews are there for UCSF? and are they both open file interview? or one open one closed?