***The Official UCSF Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

No, it does not matter if you finish sooner than the due date. It DOES matter if you finish after the due date.

You should also submit it before the due date.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks. I hate to ask but can I ask how you know this for sure?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. I hate to ask but can I ask how you know this for sure?

I got an interview there. I submitted before the due date.

If a school, teacher, or anyone sees submitting something early as a negative, then that's stupid. I don't know why you're worrying about turning something in early. In fact, if anything, it probably shows more interest in the school. I just don't see why doing this hurts you as an applicant. Did someone tell you turning in something before a due date is bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Because there is a "due date" for a reason

I was referring to the 2 week deadline part--whether it matters if one submits it early or late within the deadline. Oh, and it seems you got rejected from here. Don't take it out on me, bro. Don't hate the playa, hate the game

I was referring to the 2 week deadline part--whether it matters if one submits it early or late within the deadline. Oh, and it seems you got rejected from here. Don't take it out on me, bro.
Not taking it out. You asked a question that didn't seemed pretty obvious in nature. I responded.

Reactions: 2 users
I got an interview there. I submitted before the due date.

If a school, teacher, or anyone sees submitting something early as a negative, then that's stupid. I don't know why you're worrying about turning something in early. In fact, if anything, it probably shows more interest in the school. I just don't see why doing this hurts you as an applicant. Did someone tell you turning in something before a due date is bad?

What I'm asking is if it matters at all if I submit earlier or later within the deadline. Yup, submitting it earlier is always better than submitting it later, lol I guess I'm just caught up in fretting :rofl:

I would think it definitely matters if you submit after the deadline; that's why it's called a deadline. It doesn't matter if you submit early either. You could submit within the hour of receiving it and you'd be fine. It's all about the quality of what you write, not when it is submitted.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I would think it definitely matters if you submit after the deadline; that's why it's called a deadline. It doesn't matter if you submit early either. You could submit within the hour of receiving it and you'd be fine. It's all about the quality of what you write, not when it is submitted.

lol, no sh**it sherlock; they flat-out reject you if you submit it after the deadline.

lol, no sh**it sherlock; they flat-out reject you if you submit it after the deadline.
Sorry, I read your post wrong and didn't realize you said, "within". Someone is a bit hostile.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, I'm waiting. I applied "late" in early September, so I'm losing a bit of hope.

That ain't late, bro. SDN tends to exaggerate the timeline a bit. Never mind, SDN exaggerates everything. On SDN, a 21 AA is average. a 3.8 GPA is average, applying after the month the application opens up is considered "late" lol

Like I said, try not to take your rejection of this school out on a random user on SDN. I know it hurts but you gotta try for your own sake, man.

37a6873a313dc25f42b65cd5a468187e.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
It's been eons since I've applied to dental school and gone through this process.
I am a D4 now at UCSF.
Every year there are a lot of disgruntled intelligent people who are upset about being rejected, which stresses out the "average" people who don't feel worthy. Regardless of how you categorize yourself, each person is reviewed on a case by case basis. As students, we know nothing about the behind-the-scenes admissions process. But we go to school with the people that they accept and interact with them every day. My classmates and those in classes below me are our only perception of the types of things they are looking for. There is no perfect formula that you need to be accepted. You just need to be yourself and hope for the best.

I considered my undergrad grades and DAT not very competitive. I'm a CA resident and applied with a 3.1 GPA and 19/21/19 DAT. I like to think my extracurriculars were extensive, but regardless somehow I was chosen to be interviewed. I'm sure there were people with similar credentials who weren't.

I interviewed in October, the first day of interviews for the cycle. I remember James said "You guys are first, you're the best!" And afterwards we went on our merry way. December 1st came around and I heard nothing.
As time went on I got very anxious. Eventually in January I got my first acceptance to another dental school but still nothing from UCSF. It wasn't until February that I was notified of being waitlisted. Once I was waitlisted, I was given a waitlist number. Somewhere in the 30's. Every month on a specific day an email went out to update you of your rank. It wasn't until mid-May that I got the phone call I was accepted.

From my interview day, only one person is actually in my class besides me. Meaning 23 people from that stressful day are not in my class. If I had to estimate, I'd say at least half of my class was on the waitlist at some point.

The dental school application process is a journey and a process. It takes time, it drags out, and it's stressful. But it is completely out of your control and you can't let it consume you.

The biggest thing to understand is that all dental schools are basically the same. You may perceive one better than the other, or compare and contrast different aspects, but essentially it's a 4 year program and you graduate to enter the profession you've worked so hard for. If it's not UCSF it will be somewhere else and you will still have a great education and experience. I love my school and I know it has prepared me well so I hope it continues to keep that tradition.

My biggest piece of advice is not to listen to the SDN crazies on here. They don't know anything and they will just stress you out unnecessarily. Be patient and good things will come.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much for sharing this with us! Do you happen to know if people who interview automatically get on the waiting list? ( since I hear there are numbers in the 100s on the waitlist and only 288 people are going to be interview this cycle) or is there still a high possibility of being rejected after interviewing?

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! Do you happen to know if people who interview automatically get on the waiting list? ( since I hear there are numbers in the 100s on the waitlist and only 288 people are going to be interview this cycle) or is there still a high possibility of being rejected after interviewing?
During the interview here they said that they interview around 200 people, and they have a scale like "High admit, admit, high waitlist, waitlist, reject" and it is very rare for them to actually reject someone.

During the interview here they said that they interview around 200 people, and they have a scale like "High admit, admit, high waitlist, waitlist, reject" and it is very rare for them to actually reject someone.
When I attended the interview, they mention there were going to be 12 interviews overall, six before December and six after. Each day has 24 interviewees, which it will be 288 overall. I remember doing the math as group at the beginning of the presentation. I didn't know about the scale, but it's good news the rarity of rejecting people after interviewing. I just want to know already! haha

This is just not a good night. Rejected.
3.8 GPA
22 DAT

Denied 11/8

In state
oGPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.82
BCP: 3.93

20 PAT/22 AA/23 TS

160 shadowing hours
400 volunteer hours
315 hours of research in 3 semesters
1 publication
Minor EC's

Supplementary received 9/08
Completed and submitted 9/20

I never even got the "under review" email before the rejection:(

This is just not a good night. Rejected.
3.8 GPA
22 DAT

I'm sorry for the bad news. If you don't mind me asking, when did you receive the "Supplemental Application Received/Complete file" email?

Hey guys were you put under review on AADSAS after the interview?
I haven't had an interview offer and thus no interview, but mine was initially put under review on AADSAS the day I received the supplemental invitation email.
Is that normal?

I'm sorry for the bad news. If you don't mind me asking, when did you receive the "Supplemental Application Received/Complete file" email?
Same stats. Denied.
OOS

Denied. Sort of expected it with my non-outstanding stats. I was hoping my work experience would help though. Oh well, life goes on. Good luck gang!

Congrats! When today did you hear back? By email? When did you get the supplemental received email?
Received an email late evening. Received supplemental at the middle/ end of July.

Last edited by a moderator:
yay!!! I got an invite!!

Interesting how they choose who to interview

My DAT was not the best
AA 21/ TS 21/ PA 22
Science GPA 3.90 Overall GPA 3.89
Maybe being in the us military got me in?

yay!!! I got an invite!!

My DAT was not the best
AA 21/ TS 21/ PA 22

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, when did you receive the "Supplemental Application Received/Complete file" email?

Received an email late evening. Received supplemental at the middle/ end of July.

yay!!! I got an invite!!

My DAT was not the best
AA 21/ TS 21/ PA 22

Good luck! Are they all post Dec 1 dates?

Interview invite 11/18 for a January interview date

Denied 11/22, no interview- Happy Thanksgiving!

SF native, 22AA/4.0x sGPA, unique background, but slightly late app. First rejection here, so I'm kinda wondering if their selection process involves darts...

Denied 11/22, no interview- Happy Thanksgiving!

SF native, 22AA/4.0x sGPA, unique background, but slightly late app. First rejection here, so I'm kinda wondering if their selection process involves darts...

When was your app sent in?

People who interviewed: what are your statuses right now on the AADSAS portal?