***The Official UCLA Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there! Thank you for being so helpful to us pre-dents. I have two questions I am hoping you may be able to answer for us!
1) Approximately how many seats are still available as of now?
2) For the last 1-2 years, on average, how many waitlist students have been able to get off of the waitlist and actually enroll?

Thank you again :)

1) Unfortunately, this is not information for sharing; however, if you are invited for interview you will be told that it is a standard interview or you will be told that you are interviewing for the waitlist. The class has more seats, just not close to 50% as in previous years.

2) The waitlist is very short. Some years all of the wait list is used other years very little.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

@UCLA_SOD When should accepted students be expecting further required materials besides the deposit?

Information comes from Noemi over the next couple of months. You will receive your official acceptance letter in the mail and after that you wait about three months when an email with tons of attached PDFs is sent to you and directions for applying for housing.

Reactions: 1 user
I just recently got an interview invite and I'm super excited! I thought UCLA had passed me up since I applied very early, but I guess not! If you're still waiting for a response, keep your head up since you never know.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just recently got an interview invite and I'm super excited! I thought UCLA had passed me up since I applied very early, but I guess not! If you're still waiting for a response, keep your head up since you never know.
Congrats! When did they send it? And if you don't mind could you share your stats, EC's and residency? Thank you :)

Congrats! When did they send it? And if you don't mind could you share your stats, EC's and residency? Thank you :)

Thank you! :) I was scheduled for an interview last minute because somebody dropped, I believe. So I don't think my date would help you. My DAT is 23 and AA is 22. Overall GPA is around 3.7. I've been very involved in research, and I think my most significant extracurricular is volunteer dental assisting. And I'm a California resident!

Last edited:
Got an interview invite this morning what up! Hopefully there are still seats available in the class.

Got an interview invite this morning what up! Hopefully there are still seats available in the class.
When I interviewed a couple days ago they assured us there were still seats. Unless the class was suddenly filled by 7 people who were there that day, I think you are fine. The dental students also told us that the class wasn't quite full, but it was getting there.

Does anyone know if I have a chance of getting an interview invite here? My stats are: sGPA (2.81), oGPA (2.94), grad GPA (4.0) and DAT (22AA, 20TS). I have 1920hrs of volunteer work, 5034hrs of community service, research through my Capstone project and I'm currently in the Dental Simulation Club in the my masters program. I couldn't add in my grad GPA until around thanksgiving though so all they saw was my abysmal undergrad GPA for a while, aha. So I don't know if it's too late in the cycle to get an interview invite? Any help/advice will be much appreciated :happy:

Does anyone know if I have a chance of getting an interview invite here? My stats are: sGPA (2.81), oGPA (2.94), grad GPA (4.0) and DAT (22AA, 20TS). I have 1920hrs of volunteer work, 5034hrs of community service, research through my Capstone project and I'm currently in the Dental Simulation Club in the my masters program. I couldn't add in my grad GPA until around thanksgiving though so all they saw was my abysmal undergrad GPA for a while, aha. So I don't know if it's too late in the cycle to get an interview invite? Any help/advice will be much appreciated :happy:
I would say your chances are low... One good semester in your Masters program doesn't really prove to AdComs that you can handle DS just yet. Hang in there and keep up your grades!

Last edited:
Haha, that's what I figured. Thanks for the quick response, acesofseven!! :)

1) Unfortunately, this is not information for sharing; however, if you are invited for interview you will be told that it is a standard interview or you will be told that you are interviewing for the waitlist. The class has more seats, just not close to 50% as in previous years.

2) The waitlist is very short. Some years all of the wait list is used other years very little.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your response @UCLA_SOD . Would there be any way you could privately message me? I have an important question that I don't feel comfortable stating on the main forum. It regards my application to the UCLA School of Dentistry. I know that your account is set to private so I will not be able to send you any messages first. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Please show some love to Bruin alumni, UCLA :(

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I need to buy a new computer. My other one is 7 years old and is super slow and unreliable. Any recommendations for a new one that will work great for dental school?

For schoolwork and most general applications I'd honestly recommend a MacBook Pro, if you're fine with MacOS.

Someone is going to come here and recommend a Windows laptop with better specs etc. but you don't need those unless you intend to play PC games.

For schoolwork and most general applications I'd honestly recommend a MacBook Pro, if you're fine with MacOS.

Someone is going to come here and recommend a Windows laptop with better specs etc. but you don't need those unless you intend to play PC games.
I was thinking about getting a MacBook as well. It'd be my first apple computer, so I'd have to get used to the different software. However, I mostly want an efficient computer that I won't have to worry about failing me for the next 5-6 years. It seems every time I buy a windows PC that I have to send it in after 2 years to get it repaired.

I was thinking about getting a MacBook as well. It'd be my first apple computer, so I'd have to get used to the different software. However, I mostly want an efficient computer that I won't have to worry about failing me for the next 5-6 years. It seems every time I buy a windows PC that I have to send it in after 2 years to get it repaired.
If you're getting a Mac, wait a few months for when the newest model comes out.

Is there a difference between the Pro and the Air models?
Big differences. The Air is being phased out and the screen/hardware is significantly worse than the Pro.

New models refresh late in the year in Oct/Nov, so up to you if you want to wait for those.

Big differences. The Air is being phased out and the screen/hardware is significantly worse than the Pro.

New models refresh late in the year in Oct/Nov, so up to you if you want to wait for those.
Thank you.

I need to buy a new computer. My other one is 7 years old and is super slow and unreliable. Any recommendations for a new one that will work great for dental school?
You can't go wrong with a MacBook. The MacBook Air seems to lag for my friends, especially when you're studying and shuffling between 6-7 power points, browsers, and word documents at the same time. However, many classmates have opted for iPad pros, surface books, and other windows laptops and have been perfectly happy.

The only issue is many of the exams will require a specific lockdown browser, and if I remember correctly, they told us at the beginning of the year that some laptops (I think chrome book) wouldn't be compatible with the program.

I switched from windows to mac because I was tired of switching laptops every 2 years from lag. I've had my current MacBook for 4 years and it's running just fine. It will probably last me until I'm done with dental school.

If you'd rather wait it out, the biomed library connected to all the health sciences school lends out laptops and makes the process a breeze. You can rest out the MacBook to see how you feel.

IMO, the newest 2016 MacBooks (released a few months ago) are way way way overpriced. If I needed a laptop right now, I'd get the older model when the prices drop.

You can't go wrong with a MacBook. The MacBook Air seems to lag for my friends, especially when you're studying and shuffling between 6-7 power points, browsers, and word documents at the same time. However, many classmates have opted for iPad pros, surface books, and other windows laptops and have been perfectly happy.

The only issue is many of the exams will require a specific lockdown browser, and if I remember correctly, they told us at the beginning of the year that some laptops (I think chrome book) wouldn't be compatible with the program.

I switched from windows to mac because I was tired of switching laptops every 2 years from lag. I've had my current MacBook for 4 years and it's running just fine. It will probably last me until I'm done with dental school.

If you'd rather wait it out, the biomed library connected to all the health sciences school lends out laptops and makes the process a breeze. You can rest out the MacBook to see how you feel.

IMO, the newest 2016 MacBooks (released a few months ago) are way way way overpriced. If I needed a laptop right now, I'd get the older model when the prices drop.
Very nice. Thank you so much!

I have nothing against macbooks or getting the latest and greatest. But, if you want to save money almost any modern computer will be super fast as long as it has an SSD. I spent 300 bucks on a laptop and 100 on a SSD back in..2013. I keep it nice and light (don't install much or have almost any programs running in the background) and it's just as fast as my desktop. My desktop has an i5-3570k running at 4.2 GHz, 8 gigs of RAM, and an SSD.

Seriously. Get a SSD! If you want to save a few bucks a 500 dollar computer will run great.

If not, macbooks are great too. Their resale value is crazy good.

I'd get the retina or the new 2016 MacBooks. I've had my pro for 4 years and I'm just waiting for it to kick the can.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Very cool! Definitely a big decision. I'm going to wait a little bit closer to the start of school before I buy one.

I have nothing against macbooks or getting the latest and greatest. But, if you want to save money almost any modern computer will be super fast as long as it has an SSD. I spent 300 bucks on a laptop and 100 on a SSD back in..2013. I keep it nice and light (don't install much or have almost any programs running in the background) and it's just as fast as my desktop. My desktop has an i5-3570k running at 4.2 GHz, 8 gigs of RAM, and an SSD.

Seriously. Get a SSD! If you want to save a few bucks a 500 dollar computer will run great.

If not, macbooks are great too. Their resale value is crazy good.

Can a mac have an SSD

Can a mac have an SSD

Pretty sure they all do nowadays. They better with how much they cost! SSD's are just hard drives in flash format. Like a big SD card instead of a spinning platter.

Hey all! I just got my interview today. Do they tell you on the e-mail whether you are interviewing for regular spot or waitlist? or do they tell you at the interview? My interview e-mail did not mention anything about waitlist.

Any current dental students here know if we need to collect teeth? If so, what should we be collecting? I already have an oral surgeon and a few dentists saving teeth for me.

Declining my interview here hope one of you gets it

Whether your seat or not, turning down a spot opened up a slot for me. Thank you.

I just got the letter in the mail. So surreal and happy to be accepted!!!

Any current dental students here know if we need to collect teeth? If so, what should we be collecting? I already have an oral surgeon and a few dentists saving teeth for me.
What? Is this a thing? lol

Whether your seat or not, turning down a spot opened up a slot for me. Thank you.

I just got the letter in the mail. So surreal and happy to be accepted!!!

Congrats! So happy for you

What? Is this a thing? lol

Not sure if only for some schools, but every summer at the office I work at, we have a few dental students asking if we can collect extracted teeth for them. Usually we get around 200 for them but the majority are 3rds.

How does thier housing work? Your own apt or shared with other students?
If you want to live on campus, you can check out this website https://housing.ucla.edu/student-housing/graduate-students-and-students-with-families
You can choose to live in either a single or a double. I noticed that applications for housing are open, but we don't have enough information to select our move in date. Do any current students know when we can expect more information to come along? Since getting accepted I have received an acceptance letter in the mail detailing how to submit our deposit but nothing else. Thanks~

Yes, you should start collecting teeth. The school will send you a letter during the summer explaining how to go about doing this, as well as which cleaning solution to use and where to buy it. The letter will mention that you will need around 100 teeth by January of your first year, but honestly, we won't start working on these collected teeth until the second year, so you have some time. Having an oral surgeon and a few dentists collecting for you is perfect! You can't control which teeth you'll get, but expect to get mainly posterior teeth haha!

If you want to live on campus, you can check out this website https://housing.ucla.edu/student-housing/graduate-students-and-students-with-families
You can choose to live in either a single or a double. I noticed that applications for housing are open, but we don't have enough information to select our move in date. Do any current students know when we can expect more information to come along? Since getting accepted I have received an acceptance letter in the mail detailing how to submit our deposit but nothing else. Thanks~
I believe the current housing applications are for the spring quarter. Last year, we didn't receive any info about Fall housing until the summer. UCLA is a little slow in getting information back to us haha!

Yes, you should start collecting teeth. The school will send you a letter during the summer explaining how to go about doing this, as well as which cleaning solution to use and where to buy it. The letter will mention that you will need around 100 teeth by January of your first year, but honestly, we won't start working on these collected teeth until the second year, so you have some time. Having an oral surgeon and a few dentists collecting for you is perfect! You can't control which teeth you'll get, but expect to get mainly posterior teeth haha!
Thank you!

Hey all, so I was accepted into the entering class of 2021 and I am currently finishing up my last semester of undergrad. My semester is absolutely loaded so I am considering to make one class pass/ fail. The only two that are not required for my major are organic lab and biochem. I just got off the phone with Noemi and she said I can take one dental school requirement credit/ no credit without a problem, does anyone have any advice? I would rather take biochem but am curious what others have to say? I don't intend on slacking by any means but I am afraid I will end up with a poor grade otherwise (Hopefully higher than a C- :laugh:). +pissed+

Hey all, so I was accepted into the entering class of 2021 and I am currently finishing up my last semester of undergrad. My semester is absolutely loaded so I am considering to make one class pass/ fail. The only two that are not required for my major are organic lab and biochem. I just got off the phone with Noemi and she said I can take one dental school requirement credit/ no credit without a problem, does anyone have any advice? I would rather take biochem but am curious what others have to say? I don't intend on slacking by any means but I am afraid I will end up with a poor grade otherwise (Hopefully higher than a C- :laugh:). +pissed+
Taking a prerequisite P/F is generally frowned upon, but if you've already been accepted and Noemi gave you the thumbs up, then why not? The next 4 years of your life are gonna be P/F anyways, so why not get used to it lol.

Last edited:
Taking a prerequisite P/F is generally frowned, but if you've already been accepted and Noemi gave you the thumbs up, then why not? The next 4 years of your life are gonna be P/F anyways, so why not get used to it lol.
Noemi's approval was such a relief haha thanks for the advice

Is the class full? If anyone is going to an interview soon, could you please ask about this?
I am a re-applicant (CA resident, oGPA/sGPA: ~3.45, BCP: 3.54, AA23/TS21), and haven't heard anything from UCLA. I guess it is because I do not have AA25 :( I have four publications in dental journals and one oral presentation in AADR, but I don't think my research experience is helpful :grumpy:

Last edited:
Is the class full? If anyone is going to an interview soon, could you please ask about this?
I am a re-applicant (CA resident, oGPA/sGPA: ~3.45, BCP: 3.54, AA23/TS21), and haven't heard anything from UCLA. I guess it is because I do not have AA25 :( I have four publications in dental journals and one oral presentation in AADR, but I don't think my research experience is helpful :grumpy:

When I interviewed this past February, they said that the class is already full, but they are waiting for the deposits from some students to finalize their seats. So from my understanding, I was in the gray area for interviews between a possible seat and the waitlist. If you look back from the previous class trends, they held interviews until March or even April. BEST!

When I interviewed this past February, they said that the class is already full, but they are waiting for the deposits from some students to finalize their seats. So from my understanding, I was in the gray area for interviews between a possible seat and the waitlist. If you look back from the previous class trends, they held interviews until March or even April. BEST!
Just wondering, what date did you interview exactly? Because I interviewed on the 21st and was told the same. So I'm just trying to figure out when the class filled up! Thanks !!

Status
Not open for further replies.