****The Official Tufts U. School of Dental Medicine c/o 2021 interview/acceptance Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an acceptance here. People of Boston and MA: Is tufts considered a prestigious school? if so, how prestigious and how is it compared to the other schools in the area
Have you seen our acceptance statistics? haha absolutely not prestigious.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!!!
They want me to complete a masters in biomedical sciences with no less than a 3.2 gpa.

Is it possible to apply for a Masters to start in September? I thought all the masters deadlines had passed...does that mean you actually have to wait 2 years (1 year to apply and hear back , another year while in the masters)?

Is it possible to apply for a Masters to start in September? I thought all the masters deadlines had passed...does that mean you actually have to wait 2 years (1 year to apply and hear back , another year while in the masters)?

As far as I know you can still apply now to Barry's Masters program to begin this summer or fall

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

I've actually already applied and got accepted to one before I even had my interview for Tufts but a lot of them still have deadlines that are in April so if you look hard enough, you might be able to still apply to some.

Both DAT and GPA are very low with 19AA and 3.2 Science GPA as average for accepted students. It's because people with higher stats get into cheaper schools (which is basically any school other than NYU or USC) so Tufts gets the desperate ones with one acceptance, or those for whom money isn't an issue.

Both DAT and GPA are very low with 19AA and 3.2 Science GPA as average for accepted students. It's because people with higher stats get into cheaper schools (which is basically any school other than NYU or USC) so Tufts gets the desperate ones with one acceptance, or those for whom money isn't an issue.
Heard we have a lot of rich kids going there. Is the clinic experience really that great? We didn't really see the clinic during our interview so I couldn't tell how good that part of the facilities was.

Rent is so pricey. Can't decide if i want to be close to the school or not..

I totally feel this. Even with roommates living close to school is upwards of 1500 each per month. I can't decide either.

I totally feel this. Even with roommates living close to school is upwards of 1500 each per month. I can't decide either.
Yeah right by school people are paying $1800 on average actually, a lot even more (this doesn't always include utilities, let alone internet, eating.... ) so unless you have lots of family $$$ i suggest you commute- even on max loans its not doable to live by school.

I was also shocked at the prices nearby the dental school. It's as expensive as New York! (Well, on par with NYU's neighborhood, MUCH more expensive than Columbia's neighborhood). It's a shame because they say that the first two years you should live as close to dental school as possible, but sheesh. "The rent is too damn high!"

has anyone here asked tufts to push back their acceptance for 1 year if possible? curious

Just curious but what are you guys looking for in a roommate? You think that ideally you'd want your roommate to be a study buddy?

Members don't see this ad :)
A note for those looking housing,
-Brokers fee.
-Deposit
-Usually requires 1~2 months of rent fee.
-Financial aid only covers housing for academic year. If you have classess for 9 months, housing is covered for those 9 months only, not the whole year.
-So start saving $$ if you are not getting any financial help.

A note for those looking housing,
-Brokers fee.
-Deposit
-Usually requires 1~2 months of rent fee.
-Financial aid only covers housing for academic year. If you have classess for 9 months, housing is covered for those 9 months only, not the whole year.
-So start saving $$ if you are not getting any financial help.
Right, in Boston you need 4 months of rent upfront to get a lease (First months rent, last months rent, broker fee equal to one month rent, and a security deposit) Me and my roommate needed 10k upfront, luckily we both were working full time for a year before and could afford it but yeah a heads up to those directly from school and who do not have family financial help.

Any idea when there could be wait list movement?

Right, in Boston you need 4 months of rent upfront to get a lease (First months rent, last months rent, broker fee equal to one month rent, and a security deposit) Me and my roommate needed 10k upfront, luckily we both were working full time for a year before and could afford it but yeah a heads up to those directly from school and who do not have family financial help.
Broker fee, jeez...

Can anyone provide the information of estimated tuition + estimated living expense for Tufts?
(the adjusted tuition)

Last edited:
Withdrew application. Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to hear that. Cody and I will be bummed not to have you.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Yeah, to say I was bummed out would be an understatement. Luckily, I've had a few other acceptances, but I was looking forward to the possibility of going to tufts! Have fun everyone, and good luck as we embark on the next 4 year to become dentists!

when did you interview? :( that mean everyone from now on is waitlisted? i thought decision was supposed to be released at the end of feb...anyone know if class full? sigh...

I interviewed on Tuesday February 7th. Not sure what the status of the class is now, but best of luck to you all!

-OOS (UT)
-3.5 GPA
-3.2 SCI
-Bachelors Degree in Business Management with emphasis in International Business
-DAT:
PAT: 22
QR: 17
RC: 20
BIO: 18
GC: 21
OC: 17
TS: 19
AA: 19

Best of luck to you all, and good luck in Dental School!

April 15th is Saturday. Any word if there will be movement off the waitlist this Friday?

Officially got rejected today. I never interviewed for those wondering. Good luck to everyone else!

Any word on when movement is expected to occur in the waitlist?

Reactions: 1 users
got an acceptance today from the waitlist. Cost is making me really torn about attending or not

got an acceptance today from the waitlist. Cost is making me really torn about attending or not

Congrats!!! :clap: May I ask, did you interview before or after December? A friend of mine is on the waitlist and was curious

In December but after Dec. 1

Anybody know if the class is full yet?

wondering the same thing!
Don't worry if you interviewed you still have a decent shot of getting in this year. Even if it is full right now there will be plenty of movement (actually for my class several people got in as close to a week before class starts) because a Ton of people turn down tufts when a cheaper option (let's be real that's like anywhere except 2-3 schools) presents itself.

Don't worry if you interviewed you still have a decent shot of getting in this year. Even if it is full right now there will be plenty of movement (actually for my class several people got in as close to a week before class starts) because a Ton of people turn down tufts when a cheaper option (let's be real that's like anywhere except 2-3 schools) presents itself.
Thanks, that's good to hear! I'm hoping I hear back sooner rather than later so I can figure out my living situation lol

Especially in Boston...... but I love the city!!!

Hello everyone. I've been accepted since this past winter now. Sorry, it's my first post pretty much here but I am trying to come to Boston a little early. I'm trying to find a place near campus to rent and I've read about all the upfront things to know. The question is (inspired by Prince's example of having his own record label) how do we get rid of the broker fee? Are there ways around that middle man through some sort of roommate share community within the Chinatown/Tufts area perhaps through a subrent?

Here's a tip for anyone wishing to stay at a hotel nearby campus: Boston Commons Hotel and Conference Center charges less than most hotels and is really just the basic (heater, clean bed, maid service, shower) type of place perfect for students and interviewees). It's only two bus stations away from campus and without snow, it's easy to reach campus by walking.

The night before my interview, I had the entire lobby and rotunda area to myself to gather my thoughts and meditate to a less-cluttered mind before the morning. I highly recommend that hotel. I'll be in Boston by 4th of July to experience the historical American traditions there and will be thinking of ways to help be a supportive classmate to others in feeling more at home even though I'll be struggling with that as well. We're in it together.

Hello everyone. I've been accepted since this past winter now. Sorry, it's my first post pretty much here but I am trying to come to Boston a little early. I'm trying to find a place near campus to rent and I've read about all the upfront things to know. The question is (inspired by Prince's example of having his own record label) how do we get rid of the broker fee? Are there ways around that middle man through some sort of roommate share community within the Chinatown/Tufts area perhaps through a subrent?

Here's a tip for anyone wishing to stay at a hotel nearby campus: Boston Commons Hotel and Conference Center charges less than most hotels and is really just the basic (heater, clean bed, maid service, shower) type of place perfect for students and interviewees). It's only two bus stations away from campus and without snow, it's easy to reach campus by walking.

The night before my interview, I had the entire lobby and rotunda area to myself to gather my thoughts and meditate to a less-cluttered mind before the morning. I highly recommend that hotel. I'll be in Boston by 4th of July to experience the historical American traditions there and will be thinking of ways to help be a supportive classmate to others in feeling more at home even though I'll be struggling with that as well. We're in it together.
There are some apartments listed with no fee that don't go through a broker, but its very hard to find one. If you take over someones lease theres usually no fee either, but again thats really rare. You kind of get used to the absurdity of Boston renting though, and if you find a good roommate match and like your place hopefully you can stay in it all 4 years or at least half the time so that you only pay the broker fee once or twice during your time at Tufts.

There are some apartments listed with no fee that don't go through a broker, but its very hard to find one. If you take over someones lease theres usually no fee either, but again thats really rare. You kind of get used to the absurdity of Boston renting though, and if you find a good roommate match and like your place hopefully you can stay in it all 4 years or at least half the time so that you only pay the broker fee once or twice during your time at Tufts.

Thanks Manic.

Do you happen to have a list of textbooks that we will need in our first year?

Thanks Manic.

Do you happen to have a list of textbooks that we will need in our first year?
Don't buy any textbooks they give you everything. The only class that had a textbook was dental anatomy but it was a waste of $50 I never touched it.

Another reason not to go to tufts:

The registrar screwed up our grades for the third time, they matched up grades to the wrong names AGAIN so you never know if you can trust your transcript to actually reflect your grades and not someone else's under your name. Also the D20 financial aid person quit and still hasn't been replaced as it's now may... what a mess. The new curriculum is a disaster with constant major schedule changes, but hopefully will be a little sorted out by the time you guys start.

But if I knew what I do now there's no chance I would have come to tufts. Weigh your other options people.

Last edited:
Another reason not to go to tufts:

The registrar screwed up our grades for the third time, they matched up grades to the wrong names AGAIN so you never know if you can trust your transcript to actually reflect your grades and not someone else's under your name. Also the D20 financial aid person quit and still hasn't been replaced as it's now may... what a mess. The new curriculum is a disaster with constant major schedule changes, but hopefully will be a little sorted out by the time you guys start.

But if I knew what I do now there's no chance I would have come to tufts. Weigh your other options people.
don't see anyone else ever complaining about tufts, considering their big class I would expect more people complaining if there are major issues with the program.

Reactions: 5 users
I wish dental students had the option of on-campus housing. Does anyone happen to know someone looking for a roommate for a place as close to campus as possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.