The official rotation thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm currently a resident at a community teaching hospital with the high possibility of staying on (they hired 3 of their 4 residents because the 4th one is doing PGY2). I'm either going to stay or going to hit PGY-2 knowing my threshold level. But I've fallen in love w/ the area so much that honestly, I'm gonna stay haha. And they have the clinical position that I want since their expanding so rapidly and I dont need to do PGY2 for it unless I wanted to ^^

would the pay be that much different for PGY1 vs. PGY2?

Members don't see this ad.

would the pay be that much different for PGY1 vs. PGY2?

Depends on the area of the US. I work and come from a more progressive state so yes it's pretty significant. I also come from one of the harder states to pass the law exam in (WA is pretty hard) but also I have a CA license as well. CPJE is the hardest state to pass and many people try but keep failing. I graduated from the northeast though, and... the pay isn't as different haha. It also depends on the institution. I'm also not in it for money; and I have no loans... so I'm like eh.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
are we talking about $10 an hour difference?

are we talking about $10 an hour difference?

I'm talking about anywhere from 10 to 20K difference. Obviously California is gonna have the biggest difference, but also because my area (San Jose-Bay Area) ... houses rarely go for under 1 million if you want a decent area and big enough house. The ghetto is considered 600-700K.

I'm talking about anywhere from 10 to 20K difference. Obviously California is gonna have the biggest difference, but also because my area (San Jose-Bay Area) ... houses rarely go for under 1 million if you want a decent area and big enough house. The ghetto is considered 600-700K.

that is some expensive ghetto!

how much are these pharmacists making in these ghettos?

Around the same as elsewhere, maybe slightly more. You're considered merely middle class, possibly even poor (as you get closer to SF) in such an area when you're competing for housing against software engineers earn just as much as you do straight out of undergrad and do not have $200k+ in loans.

>$140K

I don't know anyone personally making less than $70/hr

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

>$140K

I don't know anyone personally making less than $70/hr

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Send me to these "ghettos"! But what is the tax tho?

probably...a lot of these pharmacies have union so they get to negotiate a better rate.

that is what I hear as well....higher cost of living and union help pharmacists get a better rate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting my IPPE rotations soon and I was wondering, is there a strategy for brushing up on top 200? My school did not do a good job at preparing us at all for the top 200.

I'm starting my IPPE rotations soon and I was wondering, is there a strategy for brushing up on top 200? My school did not do a good job at preparing us at all for the top 200.
We were given a Top 200 pocket book. It was pretty handy for a quick review.

Do you know the name by any chance?
It was called The Top 200 Drugs Review. I was trying to post a link to Amazon, but it kept showing up as media for some reason.

Reactions: 1 users

How did your school prepare you? Did they make you guys fill in the blanks for the top drugs?

Did they test you on the top drugs?

Question to all pharmacists: looking back now, what was your most helpful rotation?

How did your school prepare you? Did they make you guys fill in the blanks for the top drugs?
fill in the blanks, never let us verify the answers until we were tested, rarely tested, all terrible, no one knows them in our school basically

fill in the blanks, never let us verify the answers until we were tested, rarely tested, all terrible, no one knows them in our school basically

What was the pass rate?

What was the pass rate?
no one knows lol. we were tested on them on our final but that was a small portion of the final so even if you got all of them wrong, you could still pass the final and the class.

no one knows lol. we were tested on them on our final but that was a small portion of the final so even if you got all of them wrong, you could still pass the final and the class.

what school is this?

Did any students fail this class?

If you fail out of class, you have to wait an entire year and redo the class. if you need to use loans or financial aid, you have to repeat at least 12 credits so you might have to repeat classes you don't even need. While you're waiting to repeat, you pay the school. If your GPA is what got you removed, you have to take almost everything over for the entire year.

Anyone ever had multiple preceptors for one rotation? I have 5 preceptors (1 main preceptor that grades me, and 4 that precept me but have the power to fail me if needed).

So all 5 have different ways of doing things like writing SOAP notes, charting, med recs, etc. One preceptor would teach me to do things a certain way (their way), only to be taught differently by another preceptor. I actually got written up for doing things the way one preceptor taught me, by another preceptor that didn't agree with the way it was done.

And when I respond with " I was told by so and so to do it this way" I get a response saying " well that's not correct so you need to do it this way" totally ignoring the fact that its not my fault that I was taught differently.

And of course, my main preceptor is on vacation, and wont be back until the last week to give me my final grade. I feel like she wont really understand the situation fully and will weight what the other preceptors say about me (including getting written up) more than my explanation.

So yeah, has anyone dealt with this BS before?

Anyone ever had multiple preceptors for one rotation? I have 5 preceptors (1 main preceptor that grades me, and 4 that precept me but have the power to fail me if needed).

So all 5 have different ways of doing things like writing SOAP notes, charting, med recs, etc. One preceptor would teach me to do things a certain way (their way), only to be taught differently by another preceptor. I actually got written up for doing things the way one preceptor taught me, by another preceptor that didn't agree with the way it was done.

And when I respond with " I was told by so and so to do it this way" I get a response saying " well that's not correct so you need to do it this way" totally ignoring the fact that its not my fault that I was taught differently.

And of course, my main preceptor is on vacation, and wont be back until the last week to give me my final grade. I feel like she wont really understand the situation fully and will weight what the other preceptors say about me (including getting written up) more than my explanation.

What you are describing is common. Just explain what happened to your preceptor without sounding defensive. I guarantee your preceptor is aware that different pharmacist have different ways of doing things and I highly doubt this is the first time it's ever come up.

And to be honest you're going to be dealing with crap like this for the rest of your career so you might as well get used to it. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
my experience at the moment:

rotation 1 hospital - good rotation, met some great people. preceptor was a manager pharmacist who did administrative stuff all day. made friends with one of the IPPE students there. didn't really realize how good the rotation was when i was on it because i thought all my future rotations would be equally as chill and good.

rotation 2 ambulatory care at a physician's office - best rotation hands down. met some great people. my official preceptor lived in new york and would visit me off site once every few weeks to check up on me. at my actual rotation everyone was chill. worked with the nurse practitioner who is a wonderful person and really made me feel at home. she was so sweet. when i first saw her/met her during my first week i didn't think we'd be working together. i naturally gravitated more toward her though because the physician seemed more stern. i don't think any rotation could have topped this one

rotation 3 critical care - not bad of a rotation, learned some good stuff, had a nice preceptor, was with a team of 2 other students that were girls, social dynamics within our group of 3 seemed kind of weird but in the end it was an okay rotation. i picked it mainly because i knew the preceptor and knew that she generally ensures a pleasant experience for students

rotation 4 PBM company - thought i could use this rotation for some networking/job opportunities. the only "opportunity" i got though was being told that they have a residency program and that i can apply to that if i want. already knew residency isn't for me so i opted out. basically spent all day in a cubicle doing assignments here and there. very laid back rotation. wasn't bad, wasn't amazing. it was okay

rotation 5 inpatient psych - i have no idea why i selected this rotation. i thought i would see some cool mental illnesses and would have a fun experience. turns out preceptor is very type A personality and grills me hard on questions and other things. very stressful at times. definitely not what i expected and would have to say my least favorite of all my rotations so far. most likely will pass

Last edited:

Did you know about this arrangement before you accepted it?

Did you know about this arrangement before you accepted it?

I had no idea. Only the main preceptor's name was listed in the rotation description. I found out I had 5 on the 1st day during orientation

rotation 1 hospital - good rotation, met some great people. preceptor was a manager pharmacist who did administrative stuff all day. made friends with one of the IPPE students there. didn't really realize how good the rotation was when i was on it because i thought all my future rotations would be equally as chill and good.

rotation 2 ambulatory care at a physician's office - best rotation hands down. met some great people. my official preceptor lived in new york and would visit me off site once every few weeks to check up on me. at my actual rotation everyone was chill. worked with the nurse practitioner who is a wonderful person and really made me feel at home. she was so sweet. when i first saw her/met her during my first week i didn't think we'd be working together. i naturally gravitated more toward her though because the physician seemed more stern. i don't think any rotation could have topped this one

rotation 3 critical care - not bad of a rotation, learned some good stuff, had a nice preceptor, was with a team of 2 other students that were girls, social dynamics within our group of 3 seemed kind of weird but in the end it was an okay rotation. i picked it mainly because i knew the preceptor and knew that she generally ensures a pleasant experience for students

rotation 4 PBM company - thought i could use this rotation for some networking/job opportunities. the only "opportunity" i got though was being told that they have a residency program and that i can apply to that if i want. already knew residency isn't for me so i opted out. basically spent all day in a cubicle doing assignments here and there. very laid back rotation. wasn't bad, wasn't amazing. it was okay

rotation 5 inpatient psych - i have no idea why i selected this rotation. i thought i would see some cool mental illnesses and would have a fun experience. turns out preceptor is very type A personality and grills me hard on questions and other things. very stressful at times. definitely not what i expected and would have to say my least favorite of all my rotations so far. most likely will pass

which one is your favorite? most practical? most likely to be offered a job after graduation?

Did you get any job offers?

Did you make an effort to let them know you are interested?
yes, there's just no opportunity at the moment. lack of jobs at my rotations, it's about timing. i do have an interview with walgreens for full time floater position though, hopefully i get the offer

2nd is favorite

Even if you don't think there is an opening, you should let them know you are interested in a RPH position. If they like you then when there is a new position, they will let you know.

Even if you don't think there is an opening, you should let them know you are interested in a RPH position. If they like you then when there is a new position, they will let you know.

Some positions require a residency