****The Official OHSU Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the people who got interviews in November, have any guys not heard back yet? I haven't heard back yet :( I'm wondering if there are any of you guys on the same boat.

I interviewed early December and I just got accepted this week (IS). Definitely keep your head up!

Are you IS/OOS?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else experience them not cashing the deposit check for a while? I gave them the acceptance form and check in person last Monday, and the check still hasn't been cashed...I just hate staring at my bank account knowing $1000 will be taken away at some point and I'm hoping it is sooner rather than later

I would also like to know a good, hopefully cheap, place to live in Portland.

It would be helpful to know what you define as cheap. Portland's housing market has been trending upwards at a crazy rate lately, but it is kind of leveling off in the downtown area. I think the best bang for your buck is up in the marquam hill area by the OHSU main hospital or in John's landing (it's just down the road from the south waterfront where the school is). If you don't mind commuting from the suburbs, Beaverton would be a good place to look. You'll definitely get a much better price per square foot living in Beaverton.

If you want to be super close to the school, you can expect to pay around $1400 a month for a one bedroom, but there are places all over the south waterfront or around Portland State University. North Portland is another option that is slightly cheaper than living downtown, and there is a train that runs directly to the school and takes about 20 minutes. That's where I live now and I will either be staying put, or biting the bullet and finding something in the south waterfront.

I periodically use the map on Craiglist, and zoom into the area by the school and just click around to see what the prices are like. I swear, a new building pops up somewhere near downtown every month so sometimes they offer really good deals right off the bat, so it's worth keeping an eye on as we get closer to August.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, it finally happened. Today at 4:50pm I got an interview invite. I'm over the moon excited!

For anyone interested, I'm in-state, 3.44 O-gpa, DAT: 20AA and put in my application in early July. I can interview from this Monday 24th April to next week on various days. I'm taking a monday 24th date, maybe we'll have other SDNers there?

PUMPED!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm not sure if anyone is still waiting for interviews at OHSU, but they are STILL happening at least until the end of this week.

When do classes start? It says freshmen start with a six week summer term on the OHSU website, but the email I got this week says orientation is on August 7th?

When do classes start? It says freshmen start with a six week summer term on the OHSU website, but the email I got this week says orientation is on August 7th?
I believe classes also start August 7th. Summer is split into session A and B, and we start session B.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just got put into the alternate list. Hopefully there's a bit of movement for an in-stater.

I'm debating to live down by the waterfront or up on the hill. Does anyone know how long it takes to get to the dental school from the hill? Any pro/cons about living in either place?

I'm debating to live down by the waterfront or up on the hill. Does anyone know how long it takes to get to the dental school from the hill? Any pro/cons about living in either place?

The waterfront is expensive, and the apartments are tiny. I looked at a lot of them, and it's just ridiculous what they charge for 1 bedrooms, and then if you have a car, add another $150 a month for parking. My girlfriend used to live up on the hill in one of the older apartment buildings, and it would take me 20-30 minutes to walk/tram to CLSB depending on if you caught the tram before it left, or if you had to wait. The nice part about the hill is, no matter what, your commute will take about the same amount of time every day regardless of traffic, weather, etc.

As far as pros and cons, it's pretty much price and what amenities you want. The waterfront apartments all have amazing common areas (rooftop patios and such), and the buildings and units are essentially brand new. The places up on the hill are older, and you aren't getting a luxury apartment, but you pay about half of what you pay down at the waterfront. If you don't mind paying the tab for the waterfront, it's an amazing place to live and you can walk to school everyday which is great. We ended not being able to justify paying that much, so we ended up getting a 2 bedroom about 2 miles from the school on the other side of the river for less than what a 1 bedroom costs in the south waterfront. I guess it just matters what is most important to you in terms of commute, space/storage, and price.

What's the dress code? I know we need scrubs for anatomy.

Last edited:
Just got accepted off the wait list, was told that i'm 1 of 2 that have moved on it. Super excited, see you guys in a little over a week :) It's gunna be hectic for me this week with having to find a place to stay and get all the pre-work done haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone I was accepted here on December first super excited! I know everyone on here is probably super busy but I would really appreciate it if someone could answer a few questions I have about the school! feel free to message me on here so we can talk in private or comment back to this thank you!

Hey everyone I was accepted here on December first super excited! I know everyone on here is probably super busy but I would really appreciate it if someone could answer a few questions I have about the school! feel free to message me on here so we can talk in private or comment back to this thank you!

You need to post this in the post of OHSU 2023
This for the cycle of 2021.
& Congratulations on your acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.