****The Official OHSU Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted! I am so relieved!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else still waiting? After my interview I got an email stating that they would mail (vs email) beginning 12/1. I'm confused as I haven't received any emails. When did you all interview? Stats also would be helpful.

OHSU do rolling admission, so if you didng hear anything yesterday, chances are you will be hearing soon.
Last year, I remembered there are people who interviewed and got accepted two days later.

Have hope!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Strongly considering this school. Anyone have any pro's & con's I can add to my list!? I am OOS everywhere so price comparisons are the same, and therefore not a factor.
School got rebuilt a couple years ago so the equipment and facilities are top notch, Cost is ~480k for OOS (its one of the top 5 or 10 most expensive schools for OOS per https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...usly-expensive-dental-schools-thread.1223909/) and much of that is because housing is quite expensive. Its in a big, very liberal city. Oregon is very pretty, but rains a lot. If you dont mind those, I think its a great place to live and go to dental school. The better thing would be to know which schools all you did get into so we could compare them.

Last edited:
I got into 5 other schools but have it narrowed down to Nebraska (UNMC) and OHSU.
Nebraska looks to be 80k less expensive for OOS figures compared to what Oregon is, thats a lot of money. Also it looks like Nebraska is a much smaller student size (like 40s?) which could mean more teacher time. I dont know much about UNMC, and they seem to not have a ton of info on their website. I'd say go with your favorite from interviews and what you got from your trips with what you know. Im not educated on both schools enough to give you a good comparison, but either way you'd become a dentist and the question comes down to what you want from that, and how much you're willing to pay for it.

I heard that OHsu changed the curriculum a few years ago and have less lab time and a pass/fail system if makes any difference for you.

The cost sheets I was given, OHSU was about 107,000 for the first year (including everything) and UNMC was 115,000 (including everything- like cost of living). I think they estimated a little high for COL in Lincoln, so I think I could save some there. Can I ask where you are getting this 80K? I should also note that I live MUCH closer to UNMC. I really enjoyed Portland when I was there though. I also got in to Minnesota, Creighton, Iowa, and Case Western if you wanted to compare.
Which schools did you decline the offers? If you don't mind sharing.

OHSU had the best facilities out of my interviews...nicest view too. Downside is that COL in area near OHSU > UNMC probably. Don't know much about UNMC

I got into 5 other schools but have it narrowed down to Nebraska (UNMC) and OHSU.
You and I are deciding between the same two schools :) Both very wonderful programs! Personally I am leaning towards UNMC. I love the small class size, and there's a reason why their faculty and deans stick around for such a long time. There are plenty of factors I'm taking into consideration, but a lot of the questions I asked students at my interview in Oregon did not receive the responses I wanted.

Last edited:
I am kind of leaning towards UNMC too. I haven't received an answer from a previous poster who found an 80K difference between OHSU and UNMC. Do you have any ideas where they are getting this?
I went solely off what I could see here : http://www.unmc.edu/financialaid/apply-aid/cod/cost.html which comes to ~ 90-100k/year for UNMC and https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...usly-expensive-dental-schools-thread.1223909/ for OHSU. The figures could be a bit off but you may have more up-to-date information than I since I didnt interview there. Best of luck. Call the schools and ask about it, ask for a detailed summary of what to expect for this coming few years and see what you get which may be more accurate than what I could find.

Portland is no doubt a much more expensive city to live in. Housing is way expensive these days!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am kind of leaning towards UNMC too. I haven't received an answer from a previous poster who found an 80K difference between OHSU and UNMC. Do you have any ideas where they are getting this?
The sheet I got from UNMC has the tuition and fees outlined (minus the living expenses) only for residents, and then they have the non resident tuition fee only. So if I were to just compare the two OOS tuition for first year, it's $73425 for UNMC (found at the bottom of the page) and $70828 for OHSU. There is no way that Nebraska has that many more fees than Oregon and the cost of living is definitely cheaper.

*Edit: the link that Endeross posted is in line with the $73425 OOS tuition for first year and with all of the other expenses I'm getting around $111000 without loan fees and high balling living.

Last edited:
That's what I am getting too. Is there a reason you took out the loan fees? I know for sure they are high balling COL, no way it costs that much to live in Lincoln. Therefore, I get around 432k for UNMC. What do you get when calculate the total for OHSU OOS?
For the loan fees, I remember them saying something about having the option to receive the loan for living fees and other expenses, but it wasn't required. Also the main yellow sheet did not have that fee. But in no way is the cost of living in Lincoln 2,100/month (what's listed on the sheet) and 1,849/month in Portland. So that makes Lincoln ~$2300 more expensive than Portland per year. I'd suggest altering the numbers to have a better estimate of your total... because that right there can account for at least $9000 more in your grand total for UNMC, and that's if COL is equal. But for OHSU I get around $419000. It's nice that OHSU has that sheet with everything for both in state and out of state. UNMC only has everything for in state and it lacks the living expenses so you have a rough estimate of what it could be. If I calculate the total for UNMC with the same living expenses as OHSU, minus the loan fees, I also get around $419000.

Last edited:
Anyone know if OHSU will be sending out more acceptances this month?

I can make a Facebook page if some of you message me your names so I can add you

Did anyone else receive a Happy Holidays card from them? haha

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how much of the class is full and if they still have a lot of interviews yet?

Hey for those that got interviews congrats!!

How long did after you got the high competitive email did you get your interview invite?

Hey guys!! Did anyone receive the highly competitive email and not get interviews?

I'm in the same boat as you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same boat. Competative email, but nothing since.

Accepted via email on Friday 1/6 (in-state). Is there a Facebook group yet?

i also received an interview invite Friday at 5 in Arizona.

For all of you that just got interviews, Could you please post your STATS? (GPA, DAT, IN or OUT of state etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.