Not open for further replies.

BeaverLover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On their website, they state that Anatomy and Physiology must be taken as part of a series. Is this a very strict rule? I took them at two different schools.

They just got my application, got the same email as everyone else. I'm in state with a decent app, my only worry is I have a ~3.4 GPA. Best of luck to everyone else and I hope to see you in my cycle.

Hey guys! I'm thinking about applying to OHSU as OOS.

Is this a good school? What are the pros and cons?
Thanks!!

Hey guys! I'm thinking about applying to OHSU as OOS.

Is this a good school? What are the pros and cons?
Thanks!!
(In response to the 2-3 years old comment)

I had the opportunity to walk through the floor level during my visit to Portland a few weeks ago, and it was absolutely stunning, not limited to just the waterfront views and the lush, green surroundings. It was probably the most beautiful dental school I've seen thus far, and it definitely left me a little jealous haha.

Hi guys, i think i sent my supplemental in a long time ago but I don't exactly recall. Was there any essays or short response questions on the supplemental app or was the supplemental app just the fee?

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I'm from WA and considering OHSU but damn their averages scare me and not sure if it would a be waste of money or not. 3.2 o/sGPA, 21AA,21TS doesn't seem that exciting for this school huh?

A admissions director said that the averages were abnormally high for the past two cycles or so, not the norm.

Reactions: 1 user
Went over the stats. Only ~5% of the total OOS applicants get interviews. Meanwhile, over 50% of the IS applicants got interviews. OR is a nice state and I heard good things about the school, but I probably won't even be considered. They'll take my processing fee and be done. haha

Yu
Went over the stats. Only ~5% of the total OOS applicants get interviews. Meanwhile, over 50% of the IS applicants got interviews. OR is a nice state and I heard good things about the school, but I probably won't even be considered. They'll take my processing fee and be done. haha
Yup, they're not OOS friendly :( , otherwise I'd love to add another school close to the PNW

Do you guys know the kind of stats OOS acceptees have? We know the general overall stats, but I can bet that the OOS acceptees have higher stats.

Do you guys know the kind of stats OOS acceptees have? We know the general overall stats, but I can bet that the OOS acceptees have higher stats.

Yes, if you go on their site and look at admissions, you can look at the previous class stats and they have it broken down really well. OOS applicants average a 3.68 GPA with an average of 20AA. Their instate applicants are lower at 3.4-3.5.

Yes, if you go on their site and look at admissions, you can look at the previous class stats and they have it broken down really well. OOS applicants average a 3.68 GPA with an average of 20AA. Their instate applicants are lower at 3.4-3.5.
Thanks for finding that! I appreciate it!

Only ~5% of the total OOS applicants get interviews. Meanwhile, over 50% of the IS applicants got interviews.

There's a reason for that. They've tended to do things a bit later in the cycle than other schools and only interview people whom they are extremely likely to admit. So, later in the cycle when a lot of people have already committed, the OOS applicants they contact for interviews might be declining interviews. It might be worth trying out in hopes that if nothing else works out, they come to your name as they're working down the list really late in the cycle.

I'm a WA resident with below average stats for my class and got in.

Reactions: 2 users
I heard they do a portfolio system to gain licensure...

Are you sure it wasn't portfolio system for graduation? As far as I know, portfolio licensure is something that's being talked about in Oregon, but (maybe) only California is starting to do it.

Shoot I might have to give that a try. Seriously considering it. It's just my GPA is so much lower than their avg. I keep thinking a 3.3 sGPA is not going to cut it there. I would definitely go there though because I'm from WA so it's close.

Recently received this. Sounds like a soft rejection?

Following initial review of your application to the Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry, we are not prepared to take official action at this time. Factors such as GPA and DAT scores have been considered, as well as dental career exploration, community service, research experience and letters of evaluation. While we cannot act on your application at this time, applications will be in a continuous state of review throughout the duration of the cycle. Only complete applications will be considered. You will be informed immediately of any change in the status of your application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I also just received the highly competitive email just a little while ago.

I too got a highly competitive email today. Feeling hopeful. I'm out of state so that's exciting

I got the highly competitive email too, hopefully they send out interviews soon!

I also got the highly competative email. I hope they start doing interview invites soon!

Following initial review of your application to the Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry, we are not prepared to take official action at this time. Factors such as GPA and DAT scores have been considered, as well as dental career exploration, community service, research experience and letters of evaluation. While we cannot act on your application at this time, applications will be in a continuous state of review throughout the duration of the cycle. Only complete applications will be considered. You will be informed immediately of any change in the status of your application.

Got highly competitive email today

Are these the same email?

Are these the same email?

These are not the same emails.

Mine says "...OHSU has competed its initial assessment and has progressed to the next phase of review. Your application is amongst a highly competitive pool, which we typically select from to participate in the interview process..."

anyone know roughly what percentage of people get interview invites for those that get the highly competitive email?

I received an in-between competitive and soft rejection?

"Following initial review of your application to the Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry, we are holding your application for winter review. In our process, priority is assigned to those applicants who met all application requirements prior to submitting application to our program. If you have not done so already, please submit requested application materials as soon as possible to allow further review of your application." I'll take it as a rejection for now since I'm OOS

Yeahh, I got this too. I'm just going to take it as a soft rejection.

I also received the highly competitive email. Does it mean that we are going to get an interview or we just passed the review door?

Got this in my email on 9/27. Did someone received an email with the same format?

"Your application to the Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry has completed its initial assessment and has progressed to the next phase of review. Your application is amongst a highly competitive pool, which we typically select from to participate in the interview process. You will be notified in writing should you be selected as an interview candidate. Interviews are by invitation only...."

I'm in the highly competitive email club. Hopefully we all hear something more soon!

Just got interview as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In state sttudent

Just saw I got one! Wonder how many they send out at one time?
Dont know, I havnt recieved one yet though I got the competative email. Can you guys post your GPA's, dats and Instate/out of state?

Received an interview invite at 11:17am!
OOS
21AA 3.93 overall gpa
CA resident

Reactions: 2 users
Dont know, I havnt recieved one yet though I got the competative email. Can you guys post your GPA's, dats and Instate/out of state?

21AA 3.9X oGPA 3.8x sGPA instate

When we're all of your application completion dates?

Mailed July 22, Designated June 27th, Competitive email sept 27th, In-State. No interview invite yet, 3.44 GPA with high upward trend and average of 18+credits/term, dat in sig, Lots of assisting and shadowing hours (hundreds), Great LOR's, Lots of extracurriculars and tri-lingual.

Hopefully I hear about interviews soon, I'd assume they're just going down the line of Competitive emailed prospects ranking from higher GPA to lower GPA at this point. IM SO ANXIOUS!

Congrats to everyone who received interviews! I am really hoping for one from here. Does anyone have any idea about the timeline for how often they offer interviews?

does anyone know what the interview day looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.