**The Official Marquette University School of Dentistry Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

It's likely a big one. 220- those offered acceptances.
220 that were offered acceptances or 220 on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

What about sending updates? Is that discouraged too?

Correct. Believe me I truly understand that you feel like you want to do something but at this point it's best to wait it out. I know it's tough, but we got this

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
220 that were offered acceptances or 220 on the waitlist?

They told us they interviewed about 220 people.

No way they sent 220 offers for 100 spots

Check out the 2015 numbers guys:
Total Candidates Interviewed
WI: 96
OOS: 256
Candidates Accepted
WI: 57
OOS: 107
I also remember Brian saying they were planning to interview close to 400 this cycle so its safe to assume a good 75-100 of us are on the waitlist, but I'm positive there were some rejections sent out as well...and I'm sure some other people on the waitlist will ask to have their spot removed especially if they got into their top school
Jan 15th and Feb 15th are supposedly the next two rounds of offer dates...so we got time!

Attachments

• MUSoD 2015.pdf
    255.4 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: 1 users
I just made an account here to post this haha but I'm Accepted, OOS, IL. I interviewed at Marquette last cycle in January and was put in their alternate pool all summer. I was very discouraged but determined to try again this cycle. I re-took my DAT this past summer and enrolled into a masters program to improve my GPA. My fall quarter grades were a big improvement from undergrad and my DAT improved only slightly, but enough for me to be content. I re-applied (way earlier than last cycle) and got my interview scheduled for September. I just want to say to anyone who is discouraged, that it's okay to feel that way--but it's also important not to give up! If this career is your dream, you will do whatever it takes to get there and you will get there eventually! Last year I was really upset with not getting accepted anywhere (especially with my friends getting acceptances), but I've since realized that the "timeline" that we're told we have to follow is kind of BS. In the grand scheme of things, after a 30+ year career, what's one or two years off going to really do? Anyway, it seems that a lot of people on this thread are generally dealing well with whatever result they got, but I just wanted to put in my two cents. Congrats to everyone! <3

Reactions: 7 users
Waitlisted Wednesday, won't be holding my spot on the wait list as I was accepted elsewhere. They missed out on me!

Reactions: 3 users
I just made an account here to post this haha but I'm Accepted, OOS, IL. I interviewed at Marquette last cycle in January and was put in their alternate pool all summer. I was very discouraged but determined to try again this cycle. I re-took my DAT this past summer and enrolled into a masters program to improve my GPA. My fall quarter grades were a big improvement from undergrad and my DAT improved only slightly, but enough for me to be content. I re-applied (way earlier than last cycle) and got my interview scheduled for September. I just want to say to anyone who is discouraged, that it's okay to feel that way--but it's also important not to give up! If this career is your dream, you will do whatever it takes to get there and you will get there eventually! Last year I was really upset with not getting accepted anywhere (especially with my friends getting acceptances), but I've since realized that the "timeline" that we're told we have to follow is kind of BS. In the grand scheme of things, after a 30+ year career, what's one or two years off going to really do? Anyway, it seems that a lot of people on this thread are generally dealing well with whatever result they got, but I just wanted to put in my two cents. Congrats to everyone! <3

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE!!! Very inspirational background my friend.
"it's also important not to give up! If this career is your dream, you will do whatever it takes to get there and you will get there eventually!" :clap::clap::clap:
Amen to that, well said.

Waitlisted Wednesday, won't be holding my spot on the wait list as I was accepted elsewhere. They missed out on me!

Hey CONGRATULATIONS, you're officially going to be a dentist. Thanks for letting us know, and enjoy the ride wherever you decide to go to!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE!!! Very inspirational background my friend.
"it's also important not to give up! If this career is your dream, you will do whatever it takes to get there and you will get there eventually!" :clap::clap::clap:
Amen to that, well said.

Thank you!!! Best of luck to you :)

Just got an e-mail putting me "on hold" without interview as well. I guess that's better than a flat out rejection? ...

Omg I have a similar story to yours! I am also OOS, interviewed last cycle in January, and was placed on the alternate list but didn't get in. I decided to reapply as well and got my interview scheduled for September too. But I was wait listed on Wednesday and I am still hoping for an acceptance. Thank you for your encouraging words and congrats on your acceptance!! :)

Just got an e-mail putting me "on hold" without interview as well. I guess that's better than a flat out rejection? ...

Me too! I'm curious to know what the chances are for an IS person to get an interview after being placed on Hold...o_O

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg I have a similar story to yours! I am also OOS, interviewed last cycle in January, and was placed on the alternate list but didn't get in. I decided to reapply as well and got my interview scheduled for September too. But I was wait listed on Wednesday and I am still hoping for an acceptance. Thank you for your encouraging words and congrats on your acceptance!! :)

Do you think there is a significant difference between getting put on the alternate list with a pre December interview vs getting put on the alternate list post December? I really hope there is

Do you think there is a significant difference between getting put on the alternate list with a pre December interview vs getting put on the alternate list post December? I really hope there is
Yes, there is. Pre-December interviewees are put on the waitlist, if not accepted. Post-december interviews are either placed on the HOLD list or rejected. If waitlist students all get chosen or decide to go elsewhere, then students move up from the HOLD list.

For everyone that got waitlisted on Nov. 30th, did you get this in your e-mail?

"Please remember that since you were selected to interview in the Fall, you will be amongst the next group of candidates that will be extended offers of admission in January (and beyond) until all spaces in the class are filled"

To me that sounds pretty optimistic. Almost like he's saying we will for sure be given an offer on the 15th, but I'm sure that's not the case. Thoughts?

Yes, there is. Pre-December interviewees are put on the waitlist, if not accepted. Post-december interviews are either placed on the HOLD list or rejected. If waitlist students all get chosen or decide to go elsewhere, then students move up from the HOLD list.

However, one of the earlier posters said that she was put on the alternate list and she had a post Dec interview?? @predental340

For everyone that got waitlisted on Nov. 30th, did you get this in your e-mail?

"Please remember that since you were selected to interview in the Fall, you will be amongst the next group of candidates that will be extended offers of admission in January (and beyond) until all spaces in the class are filled"

To me that sounds pretty optimistic. Almost like he's saying we will for sure be given an offer on the 15th, but I'm sure that's not the case. Thoughts?

It sounds optimistic...but you never know. I wish some previously waitlisted pre dec interviewees from last cycle could share their experiences with the January wave

And by the 15th do you mean December 15th or January 15th?

It sounds optimistic...but you never know. I wish some previously waitlisted pre dec interviewees from last cycle could share their experiences with the January wave

And by the 15th do you mean December 15th or January 15th?
January 15th. Man this wait is going to suck.

I feel very conflicted right now. I want to enjoy break and have it go slowly so I can savor it but at the same time I want it to fly by so that hopefully I can get off one of these waitlists in January :p

Well now we are on a wait list and later on in the spring, maybe around March/April, they create an alternate pool, which basically means the class is full but once a seat opens up they will select someone from this pool. There's no need to worry about the alternate pool because it is still so early in the process. I hope this cleared some things up. Again, I'm just going based off of my experience last cycle so I don't know if things will be the same. Good luck :)

Well now we are on a wait list and later on in the spring, maybe around March/April, they create an alternate pool, which basically means the class is full but once a seat opens up they will select someone from this pool. There's no need to worry about the alternate pool because it is still so early in the process. I hope this cleared some things up. Again, I'm just going based off of my experience last cycle so I don't know if things will be the same. Good luck :)

Oh okay gotcha! :) so the waitlist and the alternate pool are separate things?

Also, do you know if you don't get off the waitlist, then you are moved to the alternate pool?

Thank you and good luck to you too :)

Oh okay gotcha! :) so the waitlist and the alternate pool are separate things?

Also, do you know if you don't get off the waitlist, then you are moved to the alternate pool?

Thank you and good luck to you too :)

Yea the waitlist and alternate pool are separate things. One comes later on in the process. I am not 100 percent sure that all the candidates who don't get off the waitlist are moved to the alternate pool but I don't see why not. Unless the candidates themselves decide they no longer want to be considered for admissions.

Ok with all this waitlist talk I want to point out that there is a HUGE difference between waitlisted IS and OOS. The OOS list see's a good bit of movement because many out of state applicants have other appealing offers. The IS list does not move much at all. Historically the IS list moves around 0-10 spaces seeming to average around 3/4 spaces a year. Not to discourage individuals just wanted to make this know... Every IS person that interviewed and was not accepted was placed on the Waitlist, so although they wont release the info it would be my guess there are around 49 IS students on the waitlist because around 96 interviewed (not even 50 because marquette scholars) . It will all depend on how many IS residents decline the offer this year. It could be no one (happens every couple years) all the way up to 10 people. Alternative pool is something that comes later on @predental340 is correct but unless someone has something very serious happen to them and is forced to drop out, It does not move much at all.

Last edited:
Just got an email saying that I am on hold
Haven't interviewed here

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got the same email (OOS).

Does anyone know how likely it is to get a post-Dec interview if you didn't get rejected on Dec 1?

Ok with all this waitlist talk I want to point out that there is a HUGE difference between waitlisted IS and OOS. The OOS list see's a good bit of movement because many out of state applicants have other appealing offers. The IS list does not move much at all. Historically the IS list moves around 0-10 spaces seeming to average around 3/4 spaces a year. Not to discourage individuals just wanted to make this know... Every IS person that interviewed and was not accepted was placed on the Waitlist, so although they wont release the info it would be my guess there are around 43 IS students on the waitlist because around 96 interviewed (not even 50 because marquette scholars) . It will all depend on how many IS residents decline the offer this year. It could be no one (happens every couple years) all the way up to 10 people. Alternative pool is something that comes later on @predental340 is correct but unless someone has something very serious happen to them and is forced to drop out, It does not move much at all.

Do you know what the statistics for movement are for OOS students that are waitlisted?

Does anyone know roughly how many OOS acceptances MU offers on Dec. 1st?

was placed on HOLD before interview... what does this mean? is it likely for me to still get an interview?

I doubt they send that many. Even knowing a lot of students may reject, 100 is risky when they can only take in 50 OOS.

>100.

Credit to @RonSwansonDDS

ImageUploadedBySDN1480892327.503724.jpg

Last edited:
Thats throughout the entire process all the way up until class starts. They don't offer all at once on Dec. 1 lol

I'm not sure if that's what this is, but if it is, you can likely assume they offer the vast majority right out of the gate.

I'm not sure if that's what this is, but if it is, you can likely assume they offer the vast majority right out of the gate.

Yeah, pretty sure the acceptances are spread out and they didn't offer 100 on Dec. 1st. I'd say probably 70-75/100

Thats throughout the entire process all the way up until class starts. They don't offer all at once on Dec. 1 lol

@Preddskid is correct! 107 is the total number of offers sent out throughout the entire 2015 cycle, sorry if that wasn't clear!

Starting to notice people are declining offers from Marquette. I read 5 or so of them, in the grand scheme maybe like 10-20 offers made on dec 1st are declined and opens up OOS and IS spots. I would assume many people decline their offers as I remember seeing 106 (or close to that) accepted for 50 OOS spots. IS I don't remember.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope that the OOS waitlist moves quite a bit when OOS people are accepted to their in-state and turn down Marquette.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope that the OOS waitlist moves quite a bit when OOS people are accepted to their in-state and turn down Marquette.

I hope so! I am not sure what will happen. There is so much unknown in the process. We just have to hope our names come up.

Fellow Cheese Heads, I will be declining my in state acceptance to Marquette, I wish you all the best!

Reactions: 3 users
ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS TO GET OFF THE WAITLIST! :laugh:

3:40-3:47 I SEE YOU BRIAN :claps::claps::claps:

Reactions: 7 users