***The Official ECU SoDM Class of 2021 Thread***

PeterPanorex

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Best of luck to all applying to ECU's SoDM Class of 2021!

Most recent class profile posted on ECU SoDM's website: Class of 2019
Last year's thread for reference: *** Official ECU Class of 2020 Thread ***

Members don't see this ad.

First interview (I think?). Looked on the AADSAS school decisions tab and it says "Invited for Interview", although I never got an email or anything. Anybody else know about this?

First interview (I think?). Looked on the AADSAS school decisions tab and it says "Invited for Interview", although I never got an email or anything. Anybody else know about this?
I'm seeing the same thing (with no notice by email). "Decision Date" is showing 7/18/16. Maybe we'll hear something official in the next couple of weeks.

Hope it sticks - if so, bravo and well done! We jumped a hurdle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm seeing the same thing (with no notice by email). "Decision Date" is showing 7/18/16. Maybe we'll hear something official in the next couple of weeks.

Yup, I have the same decision date. Haha I'll call monday I guess. Hopefully this is just one of many. Good sign thought that we've gotten an invite this early though.

Mine also has that "Invited for Interview" decision status as of 7/17/2016 but no email yet.

Just called up. Was told that it does mean we've received an interview, they're just trying to figure out the dates they actually want to actually do the interviews and then we'll receive an email to sign up.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an email late last night with the invite to interview. Anyone else? And if so, does it mean we can call to schedule starting tomorrow?

ECU specific interview questions that previous students have been asked during their interviews at this school. I'd try to make sure you've at least read over the list before going in:

• "On a scale from deeply integrated to not involved at all, how much do you think dentists should be involved in their community outside of their profession?"

• "What is one class that proved to be more difficult than you thought, but how did you overcome that?"

• "If you become a successful practicing dentist, and you have the means to tackle another project, what would that be"

• "What are some of your strengths and weaknesses?"

• "What will you be able to offer our school?"

• "What is one good deed you have done?"

• "Tell me a time when you felt that you were treated unequally and how you responded to that."

• "What sets you apart from the other candidates?"

• "Your major seems really interesting, explain why you chose it."

• "How do you plan to pay for dental school?"

• "Why not dental assisting?"

• "How did you arrive to this point?"

• "What makes you great.”

• "Which basketball team do you like"

• "Describe a time when you took a class you thought would be easy but turned out differently."

• "Where do you see your long-term goals in dentistry?"

• "Do you believe there is an inequity in dental services in rural areas? Why do you think that?"

• "How do you feel about working in underserved and rural communities? (I was asked this twice, it's very important to ECU!)"

• "Describe a time you failed at leadership."

• "You’ve applied to many schools and are a great candidate, what about ECU sticks out?"

• "Why do you want to come to ECU?"

• "What ethical considerations must we deal with in dental schools and in practicing dentistry?"

• "Why do you think you are a good fit for ECU?"

• "How do you think you will adjust to a small city?”

• "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?"

• "Tell me about your leadership experience."

• "Do you prefer to work individually or in a group/team?"

• "What do you think will be your biggest challenge in dental school?"

• "What are some of the community service activities you've done recently?"

• "Describe a crisis and how you dealt with it."

• "Have you thought of a career in dental academia?"

• "What is something unique that you could contribute to the inaugural class?"

• "How do morals/ethics apply to the dental industry and why are they important"

• "Have you done much volunteer work?"

• "Who is your mentor?"

• "How do you deal with hardships?"

• "What is the last good deed you've done?"

• "What is on your long-term bucket list?"

• "Off the wall question: if you won the lottery and decided to travel the world, what would you do?"

• "They were all pretty straightforward, but they did ask a lot of questions about me personally (hobbies, what I do in my free time, my study abroad trip, my job) which was nice! They really want to get to know you as a person."

• "What do you bring to the class, what kind of niche do you offer?"

• "What kinds of things as a dentist would you do for the community?"

• "Would you rather be a big fish in a little sea, or a little fish in a big sea?"

• "If your best friend were in the room, what would they say are your best and worst characteristics?"

• "What are three characteristics a dentist should have?"

• "Would you be able to work in a group"

• "Describe a time when something went wrong and how you reacted."

• "What was one class you were very excited about, but turned out differently than you thought?"

• "Has there ever been a time where you've been treated unfairly? Tell me about it."

• "If you got accepted at UNC and ECU which would you chose?"

• "Tell me what sets you apart from other candidates."

• "What is your highest characteristic and what is your lowest characteristic?"

• "How would you be able to change dentistry?"

Submitted Supplement: Aug 1
Interview Invite: Aug 2

I didn't actually ask to specify for the earliest date which maybe I should have. Was offered Oct 18 and took it.

I submitted my supplemental and fee (and obviously AADSAS) early August but haven't received or heard anything back. Did you all get an email or status update at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, y'all! I'm a current D1, and I just wanted to come on here and wish you all the best of luck!
A few tips:
1. Make sure you're considered in-state (only NC residents are accepted).
2. Read up on the school before you come. I mean... you know. Get the basics!

If you have any questions, feel free to message me! :)

Hey, y'all! I'm a current D1, and I just wanted to come on here and wish you all the best of luck!
A few tips:
1. Make sure you're considered in-state (only NC residents are accepted).
2. Read up on the school before you come. I mean... you know. Get the basics!

If you have any questions, feel free to message me! :)
;)

So I was wondering if any of you could answer this question:
So say it's May'16 and I'm wanting to apply to dental school at UNC and ECU for Fall'17 admission. However, I'm currently living in Texas until my year-long masters program in North Carolina starts in June'16. The law in NC for establishing residency is that the applicant must have lived and worked in NC for a year prior to the first day of the TERM being applied for. Hence late August '16-late August'17. And since we are all applying over a year prior to when we plan on attending dental school that creates an awkward 2 or so month grey area. I plan on attending a 1-year SMP or post-bacc (and working) in NC but at the time of dental application this will not have begun and I will still be finishing up my undergrad in Texas.

What do? Insight would be much appreciated. And FYI I'm not pursuing this to rob applicants in North Carolina. My girlfriend has been accepted to PT school at Duke so I want to pursue dental school there and work in the state after graduating dental school.

What is your current state residency? Regardless, I would contact the adcom department of each school to get a definitive answer.

What is your current state residency? Regardless, I would contact the adcom department of each school to get a definitive answer.
Texas. I've gotten in contact with ECU's adcom and the lady I spoke with said that she doesn't know much about how gaining residency status works and that I would need to contact the university registrar. The issue with that is 1) the registrars office never answers or returns my voicemails and 2) they deal with all departments affiliated with ECU so I kind of doubt they would understand what I'm talking about with the timeline of dental applications. I'm really just trying to find someone who has done gone through the process and could help.

So I was wondering if any of you could answer this question:
So say it's May'16 and I'm wanting to apply to dental school at UNC and ECU for Fall'17 admission. However, I'm currently living in Texas until my year-long masters program in North Carolina starts in June'16. The law in NC for establishing residency is that the applicant must have lived and worked in NC for a year prior to the first day of the TERM being applied for. Hence late August '16-late August'17. And since we are all applying over a year prior to when we plan on attending dental school that creates an awkward 2 or so month grey area. I plan on attending a 1-year SMP or post-bacc (and working) in NC but at the time of dental application this will not have begun and I will still be finishing up my undergrad in Texas.

What do? Insight would be much appreciated. And FYI I'm not pursuing this to rob applicants in North Carolina. My girlfriend has been accepted to PT school at Duke so I want to pursue dental school there and work in the state after graduating dental school.
Here is my advice.
You will get a form from UNC and ECU. From the information on the form, you will look to prove your residency. Having filled out this form, I can give some of the information they will want in order to decide if you are considered a north Carolina resident.
Where did you vote?
Where did you attend college?
Where did you file income taxes?
Where is your vehicle registered?
Where is your driver's license issued?
What property do you own in North Carolina?
What relatives do you have in North Carolina?
Try to make these answers benefit you, however that may work.

Here is my advice.
You will get a form from UNC and ECU. From the information on the form, you will look to prove your residency. Having filled out this form, I can give some of the information they will want in order to decide if you are considered a north Carolina resident.
Where did you vote?
Where did you attend college?
Where did you file income taxes?
Where is your vehicle registered?
Where is your driver's license issued?
What property do you own in North Carolina?
What relatives do you have in North Carolina?
Try to make these answers benefit you, however that may work.
Okay great at what point did you fill out this form? Before or after you applied on June 1st

Is it just me or does it seem that ECU is slower in sending out interviews this cycle? I applied last cycle and heard from them for an interview at the end of August and had my interview in early September. Anybody else worrying a tad bit?

I am not sure... I got invited in a couple of days of sending the secondary application.

Is there anyone who would like to share their interview experience?

Is there anyone who would like to share their interview experience?
Interview experience at ECU can best be described as relaxed professional. They want to know if you are genuinely interested in serving their mission. In my experience they don't drill you with typical interview questions - but some of the ones listed above I have also been asked!

Interview experience at ECU can best be described as relaxed professional. They want to know if you are genuinely interested in serving their mission. In my experience they don't drill you with typical interview questions - but some of the ones listed above I have also been asked!
Thanks so much for taking the opportunity to share!

If we do not have an interview by now, is it safe to say that my chances for this year are over?

If we do not have an interview by now, is it safe to say that my chances for this year are over?
Hey, though it can get disheartening if you haven't received an interview yet, I would say don't give up hope. I have heard panel discussions by interview committees that send invites all the way through December and even January. I can only imagine how busy these schools are with the number of applicants they have. Lastly, try to not think about it too much. It only leaves you more anxious. Keep doing your usual activities and it will be a pleasant surprise to see an interview invite in your email. I hope this helps during this very stressful time...

Yeah, I think it's early to say that your chances for this year are over... I believe ECU interviews well into February.
I totally love @iz2017's post; as hard as it is, go about life as you would and be super excited when you see that interview invite!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! Definitely staying there. how long did it take to get your parking pass and park?
ECU sent an email with the parking pass, so all you had to do was print it out and put it on the window shield. Also, the parking lot is right besides the school, so don't worry.

I had an interview on Tuesday of this week, and it was actually enjoyable! All of the staff in the dental school were extremely friendly, and fun to talk to. My advice for interviewing at ECU, relax! Also, make sure to have questions for your interviewers, and try to ask school/person specific questions. They really don't grill you on questions, but ask a few and really carry a conversation with you for the rest of the interview. Best of luck everybody and here's to hoping to see you all fall of 2017!

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck everyone! And congrats in advance to all of you who get in!

Reactions: 5 users
E-Mail came in at 6:52, officially accepted to ECU SoDM Class of 2021! Look forward to meeting you all in the Fall!!

Accepted to ECU SoDM Class of 2021 via email at 6:52 am!!!! Can't wait to meet y'all in the Fall!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Acceptance email at 0652!

Reactions: 3 users
any other updates other than acceptances? any emails about active review?

Active review email. Does this mean rejection or waitlist coming soon?

got the same email. I think its likely waitlist, gotta check threads of years past to see for sure.

ECU doesn't give out rejection letters. Basically, everyone is on a waitlist until school starts.