****The Official Columbia Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my confirmation email and I responded to them this morning so maybe check your inbox again!

Awesome - Congrats! Would you mind sharing which email address you sent your response to?

Members don't see this ad.

Got my first interview at Columbia! As someone asked earlier - is there an advantage to interviewing early?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a confirmation. However, I'm scheduled for an October date…Idk if it's because I said I am available anytime lol…:smack:Maybe I should've stated I am only available in September… :( anyone got a September date? Also I would like to know if there's any advantage to interviewing early as well (I always think there is haha).

I just got a confirmation. However, I'm scheduled for an October date…Idk if it's because I said I am available anytime lol…:smack:Maybe I should've stated I am only available in September… :( anyone got a September date? Also I would like to know if there's any advantage to interviewing early as well (I always think there is haha).

They don't give out any acceptances before December 1, so I don't think there's any difference between Sept and Oct. Maybe late Nov is when it starts getting risky but idrk.
I scheduled and confirmed for Oct so that I would have some experience interview by the time I do it at Columbia.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you post your stats and app complete dates?

Not a prob.
GPA: 3.4; Sci GPA: 3.4 (main thing I'm worried about)
DAT: AA 26 - TS 26 - PAT 24
App Complete: ~7/25/17

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone whose gotten an interview invite have an idea of where they will be staying in NY? I will be flying from CA and will not have a car.

Anyone whose gotten an interview invite have an idea of where they will be staying in NY? I will be flying from CA and will not have a car.

You won't need a car, you can fly into Newark and take the train into the city or fly into Laguardia and Uber/take the subway. Hotel just depends on budget/personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You won't need a car, you can fly into Newark and take the train into the city or fly into Laguardia and Uber/take the subway. Hotel just depends on budget/personal preference.

Sounds good - thanks for the reply! How was your first year??

Anyone else get an interview without all the letters in, but requested?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get an interview without all the letters in, but requested?
Me! My committee letter has not been sent in yet.

Anyone know how taking the subway is after 11pm? Flying in Thursday night and worried about making it to the city from LGA via subway because it looks like you have to change lines a few times.

How often are people getting invites? Are they sent every day, every other day, once a week, or just randomly whenever? I'm also missing one of my letters. I have 2 professors and a dentist, still waiting for a third professor to submit/send my other letter. Hopefully it doesn't impact my chances if they review it.

Me! My committee letter has not been sent in yet.

Anyone know how taking the subway is after 11pm? Flying in Thursday night and worried about making it to the city from LGA via subway because it looks like you have to change lines a few times.

NYC native here. Subway is fine after 11pm, just always be alert. Good luck with your interview!

To those that received an interview:

Our confirmation email says we need to bring a picture of ourselves on interview day. How big do you think the picture needs to be?

It worries me that some people who processed slightly before/after me got interviews... I got an email from Columbia on 7/21 that they processed my AADSAS app/supp fee. Does anyone know if this might be a bad sign? In terms of my stats, my GPA/DAT are very close to the posts above...

It worries me that some people who processed slightly before/after me got interviews... I got an email from Columbia on 7/21 that they processed my AADSAS app/supp fee. Does anyone know if this might be a bad sign? In terms of my stats, my GPA/DAT are very close to the posts above...
Interviews are just starting to go out. Just sit back and hang tight, I'm sure it'll come soon.

I am in the exact same boat as you. My submission date was on 7/21 as well and I haven't heard anything either. Try to stay hopeful!

I'm in same me situation as you, 7/21
Still no sign of anything

Guys their first round went out. R-E-L-A-X. Still alot of time

Reactions: 3 users

There are people in the 2021 class who didn't interview until the spring, relax my friend.

Reactions: 2 users
I might be a little late to ask this, but did anyone try to pay the supplemental fee online and receive an error code? Is it possibly because I didn't directly receive a link to pay the fee? I just assumed that I should go ahead and pay the fee since the link was on their website. I tried on a couple different servers, but keep getting this error message.

I might be a little late to ask this, but did anyone try to pay the supplemental fee online and receive an error code? Is it possibly because I didn't directly receive a link to pay the fee? I just assumed that I should go ahead and pay the fee since the link was on their website. I tried on a couple different servers, but keep getting this error message.

Put a dash before your AADSAS ID

On Decision status it is still says none even though I submitted everything 2 weeks ago. Anyone else in the same boat?

Just some information for prospective applicants.
Me and @wengerout recommend staying at the Holiday Inn next to the GW bridge. It is very close by and cheap in comparison to NYC hotels in the area

Additionally, Columbia has removed honors from didactic courses, at least for the first year. However, I think H/P/F grading is now incorporated in pre clinic, but only time will tell. The school is constantly changing the way they do things and pays close attention to feedback from each student. We start classes officially on Monday, but it is quite evident the school wants students to collaborate and learn together, rather than compete against one another. Class ranks are no longer existent.

For anyone reading this, feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions about the school or interview.

Reactions: 5 users
Just some information for prospective applicants.
Me and @wengerout recommend staying at the Holiday Inn next to the GW bridge. It is very close by and cheap in comparison to NYC hotels in the area

Additionally, Columbia has removed honors from didactic courses, at least for the first year. However, I think H/P/F grading is now incorporated in pre clinic, but only time will tell. The school is constantly changing the way they do things and pays close attention to feedback from each student. We start classes officially on Monday, but it is quite evident the school wants students to collaborate and learn together, rather than compete against one another. Class ranks are no longer existent.

For anyone reading this, feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions about the school or interview.
If there are no class ranks how do programs differentiate between applicants from Columbia? I'm assuming it's all H/P/F so no GPA. I don't know how it all works

If there are no class ranks how do programs differentiate between applicants from Columbia? I'm assuming it's all H/P/F so no GPA. I don't know how it all works
I'm gonna talk to the dean privately. From what I can understand, they take notes about your behavior and personality in pre clinic and clinical years and your letter gets customized by the dean focusing on you as a person, versus you as a student.

I'm gonna talk to the dean privately. From what I can understand, they take notes about your behavior and personality in pre clinic and clinical years and your letter gets customized by the dean focusing on you as a person, versus you as a student.
Ah I don't like that. I feel like you'd have to put more effort and kiss ass. Seems like a person that kisses ass and is academically/clinically inferior might get a better letter than someone who doesn't kiss ass and is academically/clinically superior. I feel like there would be a lot of flaws.

Ah I don't like that. I feel like you'd have to put more effort and kiss ass. Seems like a person that kisses ass and is academically/clinically inferior might get a better letter than someone who doesn't kiss ass and is academically/clinically superior. I feel like there would be a lot of flaws.

Not necessarily! At the end of the day clinic isn't testing you on memorized facts; you have to be able to carry out a procedure or technique flawlessly. You either know how or you don't. You can't sweet talk your way out of not knowing how to properly extract a tooth! It might be a little more concerning in the first two years but again you build off of that knowledge to perform well in your clinical years.

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't Harvard pure Pass/Fail? And UCONN as well?

Personally I prefer it. The school has a vested interest in getting us all into our desired specialties, believe me.

No it's pure P/F, at least for now. The ranking, for now anyway, is ambiguous.

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't Harvard pure Pass/Fail? And UCONN as well?

Personally I prefer it. The school has a vested interest in getting us all into our desired specialties, believe me.

Harvard is the same as what you guys currently have, P/F for the first 2 years and then H/P/F clinically. I think UCONN is P/F throughout all 4 years.

The ranking is definitely ambiguous.

Harvard is the same as what you guys currently have, P/F for the first 2 years and then H/P/F clinically. I think UCONN is P/F throughout all 4 years.

The ranking is definitely ambiguous.
It being ambiguous is a reason some people apply to these schools, is it not? I would think people prefer this over grades for competing for specialties. The only person it may hurt is the one student who is at the top of the class since they would be in the same boat with all the pass people or at the very least in the same boat as the top 10% of the class.

So what is the driving factor behind the high match rates seen at schools like Columbia, Penn, UCLA, etc. (especially when there is a seemingly ambiguous ranking system)? Does it just come down to letters of recommendation, research experience, and performance on the ADAT because boards are now P/F?

It being ambiguous is a reason some people apply to these schools, is it not? I would think people prefer this over grades for competing for specialties. The only person it may hurt is the one student who is at the top of the class since they would be in the same boat with all the pass people or at the very least in the same boat as the top 10% of the class.

When I say ambiguous, I mean to us (the students). There is a system in place that is ostensibly ranking into thirds (for our year) and apparently unranked for the current D1's, but I've heard an internal ranking also exists that gets disclosed for top students in the letters of recommendation.

So what is the driving factor behind the high match rates seen at schools like Columbia, Penn, UCLA, etc. (especially when there is a seemingly ambiguous ranking system)? Does it just come down to letters of recommendation, research experience, and performance on the ADAT because boards are now P/F?
At the end of the day, do the best you can, but you don't need to kill yourself. The school (and the classmates) are on your side to put you in a specialty or general residency you want to be at.

Anyone accepting or declining the hosting opportunity offer?

I'm accepting the offer. Does anyone know if we get to spend the night at Columbia? That would cut down on hotel fees lol.
It says, "If you are interested in being hosted by one of our current students (from Thursday night to Friday).." so I'll say yes. Do you know what a good way to respectfully decline the offer would be? lol

It says, "If you are interested in being hosted by one of our current students (from Thursday night to Friday).." so I'll say yes. Do you know what a good way to respectfully decline the offer would be? lol
Can just say you already found a housing option? I'm going to decline because my cousin lives in Manhattan about 20 minutes away from Columbia by subway.

Can just say you already found a housing option? I'm going to decline because my cousin lives in Manhattan about 20 minutes away from Columbia by subway.
Yeahhh I don't know why I over complicated that in my mind. lol

Did it say that in your interview invitation? I didn't know that they were offering a housing option with a current student lol

Last edited:
Just keep it simple. Thank them, and say that you would like to respectfully decline the offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.