The Official Anki Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been finding that having a picture is generally best in extra because you want text to trigger you, not the image, which may differ on exams (or not be there at all). The image should be supportive or explanatory, if you're sharing the work load of deck-building with classmates.

In terms of complex processes, certain things are expected to be known as a discrete step (eg. urea cycle) because they occur in different cellular compartments and you are expected to know which. Certain processes such as skeletal muscle contraction should only be attempted if you have a standardized "starting" point for your class or exam (which should ideally be the "at rest" stage). But yeah... SHARED Anki decks should also have a defined formatting... and having very simple cards helps with that, if they are extremely specific. I have a heading for class-specific cards that reminds the student about the learning objective that the factoid encompasses so they contextualize what I'm asking.

upload_2016-12-12_7-55-1.png

EXTRA:
upload_2016-12-12_7-56-4.png

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-12_11-44-46.png
    upload_2016-12-12_11-44-46.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Help please (time sensitive). How do I import a deck into an existing deck without it automatically deleting old files?
Click on the desired import deck name in the main menu and drag it to the deck name of the new deck? OR go into Browse menu and select all the cards of the importing deck, CTRL+D, and move to the desired deck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Click on the desired import deck name in the main menu and drag it to the deck name of the new deck? OR go into Browse menu and select all the cards of the importing deck, CTRL+D, and move to the desired deck.
I think that my issue is that the deck that I want to transfer and combine into another deck is under a different username. I have no idea how to combine them without deleting the current cards when importing.

I think that my issue is that the deck that I want to transfer and combine into another deck is under a different username. I have no idea how to combine them without deleting the current cards when importing.
Okay. You have to export the cards from the first profile as .apkg file, with scheduling box checked. Then if you close that profile and open the other, you should be able to double-click that icon to import, and then just transfer the cards. If you are using a Mac, then things might be a little different

Okay. You have to export the cards from the first profile as .apkg file, with scheduling box checked. Then if you close that profile and open the other, you should be able to double-click that icon to import, and then just transfer the cards. If you are using a Mac, then things might be a little different
You are a life saver. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I've been finding that having a picture is generally best in extra because you want text to trigger you, not the image, which may differ on exams (or not be there at all). The image should be supportive or explanatory, if you're sharing the work load of deck-building with classmates.

In terms of complex processes, certain things are expected to be known as a discrete step (eg. urea cycle) because they occur in different cellular compartments and you are expected to know which. Certain processes such as skeletal muscle contraction should only be attempted if you have a standardized "starting" point for your class or exam (which should ideally be the "at rest" stage). But yeah... SHARED Anki decks should also have a defined formatting... and having very simple cards helps with that, if they are extremely specific. I have a heading for class-specific cards that reminds the student about the learning objective that the factoid encompasses so they contextualize what I'm asking.

View attachment 211847

EXTRA:
View attachment 211848

This. This is almost exactly how I setup cards - in extras I have pictures or long form "in paragraph" info that isn't needed to answer the question, but helps put it in context. Questions/answers are short, simple, discrete bits of info.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

anyone know anki decks that go through FA by subject? Thanks!

For those of you who have their steps set at large intervals (eg 2880), why? How do you finish sets daily if the step interval is 2 days?

My steps are set at 10, 1440 - not exactly sure what your question is? You see the card, and if you get it right you see it again the next day. I do it like this because if I'm making my own cards, I spent enough time with the info that repeating a bunch of times the first day is not worth the time, because the info is very fresh. So I make it, and run through it once, then will see it the next day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone using the Bros deck for clerkships/Step 2 CK? I'm curious if people are doing different settings for that

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe someone can tell me what exactly is going on... So when I see a card for the first time, if I decide to press "easy" on that card, I typically wouldn't expect to see that card for another 4 days. However, for some odd reason whenever I press "easy" now it comes back 1 more time during that study session. As you can imagine that congests my review queue. Does anyone know which setting got changed and how to change it? Thanks!

Make sure you are using the newest one (enhanced I believe) - and I would make the cards yourself. It literally takes 2 min to make 10+ cards from your clipboard. And yes, IO is perfectly suited for anatomy

Say I am doing brosencephalon's deck and want to move some subset dekcs to my own deck with the neurology cards from the FA, Pharm, and pathoma. If I am on a 9 day study plan, can I do the FA deck the first 3 days and still get the FA review cards if I move onto the pharm the next 3 days or do I need to do cards from each of the 3 decks throughout the 9 days in order to review cards from each deck?

Say I am doing brosencephalon's deck and want to move some subset dekcs to my own deck with the neurology cards from the FA, Pharm, and pathoma. If I am on a 9 day study plan, can I do the FA deck the first 3 days and still get the FA review cards if I move onto the pharm the next 3 days or do I need to do cards from each of the 3 decks throughout the 9 days in order to review cards from each deck?

I'm not too sure if I understand what you're asking, but I think you're referring to whether or not Anki will treat your sub-deck as an individual deck? If that is what you're asking than as long as the master deck contains all of your sub-decks, then you can simply just click the master deck and study the reviews that are allocated to that deck.

I'm not too sure if I understand what you're asking, but I think you're referring to whether or not Anki will treat your sub-deck as an individual deck? If that is what you're asking than as long as the master deck contains all of your sub-decks, then you can simply just click the master deck and study the reviews that are allocated to that deck.
Okay so if I click the master deck it will review old cards from all the previous older sub-decks. Awesome thanks for the help!

Does anyone know if it is possible to hide a deck, and how?

I thought of creating a sub-deck and just moving the decks I don't need there, but it disorganizes my entire deck.

Browse > select subdeck in question > ctrl-a > suspend

Hey guys I'm trying to use Anki as a traditional flashcard system closer to exams. How do you use the cram feature?

Does anyone know how to adjust the review interval in anki card? Some of my cards has 1 min, 15 days, and 3.5 months... but, I like to have the interval to be 10 min, 1 day, and 10 days.... How do I change the setting in ipad? Easy instruction will be very appreciated since I am very new in using anki

Post any questions and concerns about Anki. Here is a link to the free program and youtube videos on how to work it out.

He has more videos if you click his screen name under the video.

How to use image occlusion (great for Histology and Anatomy)

A guide for Anki by Drwillbe a phd/md that is also a poster on SDN:
Dr.Willbe: Anki Guide for Medical Students

I've found these very useful to get you started.

Where to download:
Anki - powerful, intelligent flashcards
anki2.png

[I don't work for Anki but there are tons of threads on it and I figured I would put a one-stop spot for them, plus I'd love to read the other advice and answer questions]

Last edited:
Yo are you guys making cards just for the straight up basic science classes or are you also making them for the "soft" classes like clinical skills and population hearth type stuff?
Did you end up making them for soft classes? Also do you make a card for every fact on the ppt when you were going for 100s on exams? Worried I won't have as much time since my classes are mandatory. ALso did you change the step settings (easy 4 days hard 1 day etc.)?

Did you end up making them for soft classes? Also do you make a card for every fact on the ppt when you were going for 100s on exams? Worried I won't have as much time since my classes are mandatory. ALso did you change the step settings (easy 4 days hard 1 day etc.)?

No, I didn't bother with the non-science classes. I don't regret it as it would have been a waste of time. And yeah, when I was aiming for 100, I didn't leave any fact un-Anki'd , no matter how minute. And no, I left the default settings.

Reactions: 1 users
No, I didn't bother with the non-science classes. I don't regret it as it would have been a waste of time. And yeah, when I was aiming for 100, I didn't leave any fact un-Anki'd , no matter how minute. And no, I left the default settings.
Sweet thanks I'll try this out. So did you just read and reread for the small classes?

Hey! I was hoping one of you Anki pros could help me out!!

I've got an exam coming up in just under a month and have been studying using Anki, but I fear I have made the silly mistake of making too many decks. This exam consists of many modules (micro, endo, cancer, genetics, hematology), so I had made individual decks of 300-500 cards for each and studying them separately.
Now that the exam is approaching, I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this, or would having one massive deck make it worse? If I were to make one deck, how could I optimize my settings to through everything before the exam?
Thanks! :D

Hello, everyone! I wondered how can I learn information and make it organized in my head. For example, if I wanted to tell you everything about muscle tissue, if I use anki I kinda get lost where to start when I speak verbatim. If you ask me a question, I will answer it, but how does the information flow in an organized manner. Another example would be the process of Spermatogenesis, Oogenesis, and Fertilization, another example to explain the steps in Meiosis.

For things like these, I prefer drawing out my own flow charts to know the organization/ order of things. Once you've got that down, you might find it much easier to remember the finer details! Hope that helps :)

Hey Everyone! I need some help. I just downloaded the infamous "Bros Deck" version 1.5 and added it to my Anki app on my Mac Book Pro.

The issue I am having is that I cannot see any of the subdecks or categories. Picture Included.

How do I reveal all the decks? For instance I am on my biochemistry block at school, and would like to start just working on the biochemistry deck.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 10.18.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 10.18.35 AM.png
    68 KB · Views: 65
I'm an M1 who just started medical school w/ an accelerated pre-clinical program (1.5 years) that is systems based. I'm planning on using Zanki throughout pre-clinical and during my clinical years to retain my medical knowledge. That being said, I'm trying to figure out the best way to add cards as I progress through my curriculum.

For instance, if I'm starting a cardio module should I add on all the cards from the cardio section in Zanki and adjust my new cards per day so that I see them before the end of a module? This would be good b/c I'll get to see everything before the exam, but won't it suck during the beginning of the module since I would not have learned much in class (and thus won't know the answers to most cards). On the other hand, I could wait until the end of a module or even after the module is over to add cards. Of course, the detriment here is that I wouldn't have gotten to review the cards before my exam. I could even add cards as they show up in class but I'm not sure how to do this. Could someone help me please?

Similarly, do you add sections from micro/pharm as they come up in class or preemptively?

TLDR: When do you add cards from Zanki for review w/ respect to the timing of the different systems modules?

I was also wondering (I need a lot of help) how I could add cards I make myself since our exams are professor written, and then delete them after our exam and just keep Zanki. How could I organize this in Anki?

Thank you!

Hey Everyone! I need some help. I just downloaded the infamous "Bros Deck" version 1.5 and added it to my Anki app on my Mac Book Pro.

The issue I am having is that I cannot see any of the subdecks or categories. Picture Included.

How do I reveal all the decks? For instance I am on my biochemistry block at school, and would like to start just working on the biochemistry deck.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I believe this version of the deck doesn't do subdecks, it does hierarchical tags. Get the hierarchical tag plugin and look under browse, you will be able to expand the subjects under the left hand column. I think the best thing to do is to suspend all of the Bros cards and then only unsuspend the ones you need. Or you can transfer the ones you need into a separate deck organized the way you want.

I believe this version of the deck doesn't do subdecks, it does hierarchical tags. Get the hierarchical tag plugin and look under browse, you will be able to expand the subjects under the left hand column. I think the best thing to do is to suspend all of the Bros cards and then only unsuspend the ones you need. Or you can transfer the ones you need into a separate deck organized the way you want.

Ok, great! Thank You for that!

I saw that Version 2.0 has been released. I went ahead and downloaded that. Should this newest version be superior to the Zanki deck I read about?

Ok, great! Thank You for that!

I saw that Version 2.0 has been released. I went ahead and downloaded that. Should this newest version be superior to the Zanki deck I read about?
Both decks are good, and either will work out if you commit to them. I'm personally using zanki right now. I used bros last year during my smp, but switched to zanki because I feel like I have better retention with those cards and I get through them faster, even though there are more cards.

Both decks are good, and either will work out if you commit to them. I'm personally using zanki right now. I used bros last year during my smp, but switched to zanki because I feel like I have better retention with those cards and I get through them faster, even though there are more cards.

Ok Thank You for that info!

I'll bug you with one more question, How do I download Zanki? All I can find is some reddit threads on it.

Are there any Gross Anatomy & Radiology decks?

Lets say I make 2 new cards with 6 cloze questions each.

When I go to learn them, it will alternate through Cloze 1 Card 1 ---> Cloze 1 Card 2---> Cloze 2 Card 1 ---> Etc
Is there any way to make it just go through them in order? Cloze 1 card 1 ---> Cloze 2 card 1 ----> Cloze 3 Card 1 ---. Etc