The Official (2017-2018) WAMC for Psychiatry Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Updated details for a post from a month ago that didn't get much love:

Step 1: 210
Step 2 CK/ CS: Neither done yet, taking 6 weeks to kill CK
School: State MD school in the Northeast
Class Rank: Prob lowest quartile
Grades in Clerkship: HP Psych, HP Medicine and FM, HP OBGYN, Pass everything else
AOA: lol no
Research/ Publications: a pub and some posters from neuropsych lab work (like 6th author), hopefully will have a 2nd or 3rd author bio psych paper soon
Extracurriculars: SUPER involved in Psychiatry from the start of med school and even college. Clubs, APA involvement, etc etc without getting too specific. Going to make it clear in my PS I came to med school to be a psychiatrist, and I think it's clear even just by looking at my CV.
Quality of LORs if known: Will have at least one amazing LOR from core rotation in Psych
Red Flags: (step failures, etc): standardized patient failure, retook Peds shelf (failed shelf grades appear in dean's letter with a comment about the student's grade on the retake)

Open to suggestions about how to improve, though I think killing CK will be my best bet at this point. Also looking for advice whether an away (in my own city) should be done at a target or a reach program? This wouldn't be to show interest in moving across the country.
Also might be couples matching, curious how this plays into our scenario as well if anyone has any advice or anecdotes on this. SO is applying to a more competitive specialty with the scores and grades to boot.

Thanks everyone!

I agree killing CK would help. Certainly your extracurriculars and research involvement communicate a strong commitment to psychiatry so you want to show them you are also a safe bet in terms of your basic knowledge and ability to pass Step 3. An away MIGHT be helpful if you have great communication skills, and could mitigate concerns about this that may arise from the standardized patient failure (fairly or unfairly). Probably an away won't help further show your commitment as you have done that already. If your target program is a mid-tier program you are probably comfortable and can just focus on Step 2. If you are hoping for a more prestigious program its really hard to guess what might make that feasible.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1: 242
Step 2 CK/ CS: CS in August, CK in Sept.
School: Mid-Upper NE school
Class Rank: Mid
Clerkship Grades (specify if H/P/F system): H in Peds, HP in everything else
AOA: No
Research/ Publications:
1. Undergrad: No papers in undergrad, did modeling research for a biochemistry lab.
2. One abstract that I'm co-authored on for Anesthesia research that has was awarded a "best of" prize at international and regional conference; 1 publication where I'm 5th author.
3. Essay publication in national news website; 3 poetry publications in national poetry journals
Extracurriculars:
Undergrad: Teaching assistant for 3 years
MD: Community service leadership, MD improv comedy president/coach, vice-president of anesthesia interest group.
Quality of LORs if known: Should be strong. 2x Psychiatry, 1x internal medicine, 1x back up from my anesthesia PI.
Red flags: none
Where you would like to end up: I'd like to end up at a strong academic program, especially with a commitment to global health and the underserved. I'd like to work with Vietnamese and Spanish populations, given those are the two languages I speak. Ideally it would be a coastal city. Though, I don't have any strong need to be in any particular area.

I have a lot of anesthesia-related activities; found out third year, I hate the OR in any form :laugh:.

I am just another 3rd year, but I would think hard before including anything anesthesia related. Psychiatry is trying to sniff out people who are applying to it as a back up and or "for the wrong reasons." Don't give them a reason to doubt you. It's sort of like revising your resume for the job. Just an opinion.

I am just another 3rd year, but I would think hard before including anything anesthesia related. Psychiatry is trying to sniff out people who are applying to it as a back up and or "for the wrong reasons." Don't give them a reason to doubt you. It's sort of like revising your resume for the job. Just an opinion.
I disagree--you can't erase it, and you shouldn't try.
You should be ready to spin it as part of your process of choosing psychiatry, and be able to talk about how you might see the two specialties as naturally-related fields with a number of areas of common interest. But then do really sell what you looove about psych, and remove all doubt.
And believe me, saying that you have discovered that you "hate the OR in any form" will earn you many knowing nods of recognition. Welcome to your new tribe.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Updated details for a post from a month ago that didn't get much love:

Step 1: 210
Step 2 CK/ CS: Neither done yet, taking 6 weeks to kill CK
School: State MD school in the Northeast
Grades in Clerkship: HP Psych, HP Medicine and FM, HP OBGYN, Pass everything else
AOA: lol no
Research/ Publications: a pub and some posters from neuropsych lab work (like 6th author), hopefully will have a 2nd or 3rd author bio psych paper soon
Extracurriculars: SUPER involved in Psychiatry from the start of med school and even college. Clubs, APA involvement, etc etc without getting too specific. Going to make it clear in my PS I came to med school to be a psychiatrist, and I think it's clear even just by looking at my CV.
Quality of LORs if known: Will have at least one amazing LOR from core rotation in Psych
Red Flags: (step failures, etc): standardized patient failure, retook Peds shelf (failed shelf grades appear in dean's letter with a comment about the student's grade on the retake)

Open to suggestions about how to improve, though I think killing CK will be my best bet at this point. Also looking for advice whether an away (in my own city) should be done at a target or a reach program? This wouldn't be to show interest in moving across the country.
Also might be couples matching, curious how this plays into our scenario as well if anyone has any advice or anecdotes on this. SO is applying to a more competitive specialty with the scores and grades to boot.

Thanks everyone!

You will certainly be able to match, especially given your strong demonstrated commitment to psychiatry. I think your number one focus at this point should be really excelling at Step 2 CK -- I would try to take it early enough that you can send it out with ERAS on Sept 15.

In terms of aways, I'd base it on how you've performed clinically on rotations. If you're the type to get clinical honors and shelf grades just brought you down, it could be worthwhile (for a semi-reach program). If you tend perform mediocrely on rotations, I don't think it's worth the time and potential risk.

As for couples matching, it should be doable, but you will both need to apply broadly and consider regions that aren't just popular cities. I would definitely look at some university programs in the Midwest (UIowa, IU, UWisc-Madison come to mind) and the South. You both should also be consider ranking options that don't involve matching in the same city, though that hopefully won't be an issue.

Good luck, you got this! :)

Research/ Publications:
1. Undergrad: No papers in undergrad, did modeling research for a biochemistry lab.
2. One abstract that I'm co-authored on for Anesthesia research that has was awarded a "best of" prize at international and regional conference; 1 publication where I'm 5th author.
3. Essay publication in national news website; 3 poetry publications in national poetry journals
Extracurriculars:
MD: Community service leadership, MD improv comedy president/coach, vice-president of anesthesia interest group.
Quality of LORs if known: Should be strong. 2x Psychiatry, 1x internal medicine, 1x back up from my anesthesia PI.
Where you would like to end up: I'd like to end up at a strong academic program, especially with a commitment to global health and the underserved. I'd like to work with Vietnamese and Spanish populations, given those are the two languages I speak. Ideally it would be a coastal city. Though, I don't have any strong need to be in any particular area.

I have a lot of anesthesia-related activities; found out third year, I hate the OR in any form :laugh:.

In terms of your interests, I'd highly recommend looking at programs in NYC, Boston , and the SF Bay Area. Ones that I interviewed at that provide opportunities in global and immigrant health include Mount Sinai, Brigham, UCSF, and Stanford. You're a strong candidate overall, my only recommendation would be making sure you have a compelling story of how you went from anesthesia to psychiatry. Good luck! :)

Research/ Publications:
Extracurriculars:

Duke has one of the stronger global mental health opportunities out there for psychiatrists (most of a year), so if you are willing to get worked and aren't the kind of person who believes they will actually explode if they sign a lease below the Mason-Dixon line, definitely check it out.

removed for update post

Last edited by a moderator:
Step 1: 215-220
Step 2 CK/ CS: September/October
School: Low tier US MD
Class Rank: 3rd or 4th quartile
Grades in Clerkship: A in Psych, B in everything else
Research/ Publications: 1 research paper (no pub)
Extracurriculars: Not psych related
Quality of LORs if known: The psych attending I rotated with said he will write me a good LOR.
Red Flags: LOA (personal reason)
Where you would like to end up: I am willing to go anywhere. In fact, if anyone here knows malignant programs that US students are running away from, post them here so I can apply to them...
Intangible: I am fluent in both Spanish and French

Quality of LORs if known: The psych attending I rotated with said he will write me a good LOR.
Where you would like to end up: I am willing to go anywhere. In fact, if anyone here knows malignant programs that US students are running away from, post them here so I can apply to them...

Wait, THAT's the step score you've been so worked up about?! You're going to be fine! So fine! So so fine! I hope for your own sake you are exaggerating your anxiety/pessimism for the purpose of an online persona... but if not, I feel ya, there's so much unknown about the application process it can definitely bring out one's more neurotic tendencies. I remember refreshing the nbme website like that rat pushing the cocaine bar on the day they were gonna release step results...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Wait, THAT's the step score you've been so worked up about?! You're going to be fine! So fine! So so fine! I hope for your own sake you are exaggerating your anxiety/pessimism for the purpose of an online persona... but if not, I feel ya, there's so much unknown about the application process it can definitely bring out one's more neurotic tendencies. I remember refreshing the nbme website like that rat pushing the cocaine bar on the day they were gonna release step results...

It's not an online persona... I am just worried because psych is getting competitive. Besides, I am scheduled to take CS/CK very late, which is a disadvantage.

Step 1: 214 USMLE / 521 COMLEX
Step 2 CK/ CS: taking COMLEX Level 2 soon (not taking CK), passed the DO-equivalent of CS
School: well known DO school
Class Rank: Top 25% i think but not positive
Clerkship Grades (specify if H/P/F system): Honors in IM, Peds, Cardio, FM, and OMM (all cores at my school); High Pass in OB/GYN; Pass in some electives that aren't core clerkships. Surgery is last but im not cut out for the OR so lets assume I just pass that one lol. Still waiting on my grade in Psych.
AOA: ---
Research/ Publications: 3 Neuroscience related research projects but no pubs
Extracurriculars: Healthcare-related provisional patent holder, business owner, President of my undergrad class. 18 years of volunteering & fundraising for a single organization. my resume is very geared toward my interest in healthcare innovation and business. Also did some volunteering in providing counseling to the M1s who fail their exams.
Quality of LORs if known: I expect them to be very strong
Where you would like to end up: whichever program I am the best fit with. I would be happy to travel anywhere in the country if I truly felt at home there. all else being equal I'd prefer to stay in the northeast where my family lives.

You'll be fine. My usmle was a couple of points lower then yours, my comlex step 1 was a little lower than yours, my comlex step 2 was greater than 600. Didn't do usmle step 2. I had ten interview invites.

You'll be fine. My usmle was a couple of points lower then yours, my comlex step 1 was a little lower than yours, my comlex step 2 was greater than 600. Didn't do usmle step 2. I had ten interview invites.

Thanks boss

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: 222
Step 2 CK/ CS: Neither done yet
School: USMD school in the NE
Grades in Clerkship: Honors FM, HP in neuro pass in every thing else
AOA: no
Research/ Publications: none
Extracurriculars: member of APA and volunteer for crisis stuff. Personal hobbies
Quality of LORs if known: no idea yet. Hopefully a really good one from FM, one from my Medicine subi as well as from my psych subi when I complete them.
Red Flags: (step failures, etc): failed one preclinical, failed IM shelf and surgery shelf. So yeah... Pretty big red flags

Do I have any chance in the NE? I'm not picky about rankings. I'd really like to be in the Philly area but my multiple shelf failures is killing me inside. Any areas within an hour of the Philly area even in Jersey?

Would residencies know about the failed shelfs if you passed the clerkship overall?

Would residencies know about the failed shelfs if you passed the clerkship overall?

I'm assuming its on the MSPE which sucks. I'm going to guess that will lead to a less than stellar letter.

The "power creep" in step scores is crazy... to put things into perspective there are many current senior residents and fellows in our affiliated programs with sub 200 step scores. Yet this year I looked at the interview roster and there are tons of people applying with 240s/250s. I don't think I would be able to get into my current residency if I had to apply next year...
These high step scores are quite intimidating indeed! Having just matched to a top 10 program with a sub-200 Step 1 (and having received an interview at every top program to which I applied) though it does seem that psychiatry programs are still looking at the application as a whole. I lost a lot of sleep over my Step 1 score, especially when I read the stats of others who applied during this past cycle. I put this out there so others don't torture themselves the way I did. I applied broadly to a wide range of programs to be safe of course but the Step 1 score itself did not hold me back. It was one piece of a much larger picture.
FWIW: If anyone has a super low Step 1 and is nervous/embarrassed feel free to PM me and I can share more specifics. I would hate for others to drive themselves mad like I did!

Reactions: 5 users
I disagree--you can't erase it, and you shouldn't try.
You should be ready to spin it as part of your process of choosing psychiatry, and be able to talk about how you might see the two specialties as naturally-related fields with a number of areas of common interest. But then do really sell what you looove about psych, and remove all doubt.
And believe me, saying that you have discovered that you "hate the OR in any form" will earn you many knowing nods of recognition. Welcome to your new tribe.
I agree that erasing it is not necessary. If fact, having an interest in another area of medicine can be seen as a strength. I planned to pursue a very niche subspecialty quite unrelated to psych and had worked on educational, research and community projects related to that field. At the end of 4th year I decided that psych was where my heart truly was. My interest and work in this other field came up during many interviews as a HUGE positive. I was able to connect the two fields as OldPsychDoc suggest here and it worked well. Good luck!!!! So happy for you that you found psych :)

These high step scores are quite intimidating indeed! Having just matched to a top 10 program with a sub-200 Step 1 (and having received an interview at every top program to which I applied) though it does seem that psychiatry programs are still looking at the application as a whole. I lost a lot of sleep over my Step 1 score, especially when I read the stats of others who applied during this past cycle. I put this out there so others don't torture themselves the way I did. I applied broadly to a wide range of programs to be safe of course but the Step 1 score itself did not hold me back. It was one piece of a much larger picture.
FWIW: If anyone has a super low Step 1 and is nervous/embarrassed feel free to PM me and I can share more specifics. I would hate for others to drive themselves mad like I did!

You are like the messiah of these forums today. Today is the day we have been saved.

Can you touch on what aspects of your application you thought were strong without giving away your identity? For example, I am imagining that coming from a medical school with a renowned psychiatry program would give one's application a boost. I worry that your story may be giving people an unrealistic expectation of their chances, although I commend you on putting together what was obviously a strong application with great results.

Can you touch on what aspects of your application you thought were strong without giving away your identity? For example, I am imagining that coming from a medical school with a renowned psychiatry program would give one's application a boost. I worry that your story may be giving people an unrealistic expectation of their chances, although I commend you on putting together what was obviously a strong application with great results.

Very fair point and I should be more clear: I am not attempting to suggest that those with low Step scores or some other deficit should feel like they are a shoo-in at a top program, rather that one should not fixate on one poor aspect of the application. The sum of the application matters a lot. In my case (and I elaborate a bit below) my application was a very competitive one overall and so the Step 1 score didn't tank it. I ended up at the same program I would have ended up at if I scored a 240+. And yes, I probably did get very lucky. If one has a low Step 1 score but is otherwise competitive for a particular program I think it is worth applying to that program. If an application doesn't have a lot of strengths and the applicant has a low Step 1 score then yes, it is unrealistic to expect a top tier program. (that being said, I know some damn fine psychiatrists who went to programs they would describe as bottom tier/undesirable).

In terms of my application, I am an MD graduate from a mid-tier US medical school with a very poor psychiatry department. There is no advising for those interested in psychiatry and no one with connections to other programs. No one from my school has matched at any programs in my desired geographic region in over a decade an a half. Regarding my personal performance, I did extremely well clinically (mostly honors in clerkships + AOA) and also have extensive community work with leadership roles from all years of medical school. I have almost no research experience or publications save a few abstracts in a non-psychiatry field on which I am not a primary author. I have been awarded a few school community service awards and am a member of GHHS. My LOR were from ppl with whom I worked closely and while I haven't seem them I am pretty sure they were very strong. I am also a fairly good interviewer. I scored a 240+ on CK after having a sub-200 Step 1.

I applied EXTREMELY broadly--I had geographic restrictions due to family but applied in my region to programs across the full spectrum and was fully prepared to interview at all. I did, in fact, interview at top tier programs as well as small community programs in very undesirable locations. And I ranked ALL OF THEM. And kept my expectations low. And then I got lucky.

i do not wish to give any false hope and I apologize if that is the effect it has had. I just would hate for someone to not take the chance to apply to their dream schools as they might have a shot. I also would hate for ppl to obsess over a score that cannot be changed. It put myself through a lot of unnecessary stress.

Reactions: 7 users
Agreed 100%. By no means trying to give false hope to ppl, just trying to balance some of the angst that many of us low-Steppers experience.

Very fair point and I should be more clear: I am not attempting to suggest that those with low Step scores or some other deficit should feel like they are a shoo-in at a top program, rather that one should not fixate on one poor aspect of the application. The sum of the application matters a lot. In my case (and I elaborate a bit below) my application was a very competitive one overall and so the Step 1 score didn't tank it. I ended up at the same program I would have ended up at if I scored a 240+. And yes, I probably did get very lucky. If one has a low Step 1 score but is otherwise competitive for a particular program I think it is worth applying to that program. If an application doesn't have a lot of strengths and the applicant has a low Step 1 score then yes, it is unrealistic to expect a top tier program. (that being said, I know some damn fine psychiatrists who went to programs they would describe as bottom tier/undesirable).

In terms of my application, I am an MD graduate from a mid-tier US medical school with a very poor psychiatry department. There is no advising for those interested in psychiatry and no one with connections to other programs. No one from my school has matched at any programs in my desired geographic region in over a decade an a half. Regarding my personal performance, I did extremely well clinically (mostly honors in clerkships + AOA) and also have extensive community work with leadership roles from all years of medical school. I have almost no research experience or publications save a few abstracts in a non-psychiatry field on which I am not a primary author. I have been awarded a few school community service awards and am a member of GHHS. My LOR were from ppl with whom I worked closely and while I haven't seem them I am pretty sure they were very strong. I am also a fairly good interviewer. I scored a 240+ on CK after having a sub-200 Step 1.

I applied EXTREMELY broadly--I had geographic restrictions due to family but applied in my region to programs across the full spectrum and was fully prepared to interview at all. I did, in fact, interview at top tier programs as well as small community programs in very undesirable locations. And I ranked ALL OF THEM. And kept my expectations low. And then I got lucky.

i do not wish to give any false hope and I apologize if that is the effect it has had. I just would hate for someone to not take the chance to apply to their dream schools as they might have a shot. I also would hate for ppl to obsess over a score that cannot be changed. It put myself through a lot of unnecessary stress.

Thank you, that was quite helpful. If there was any question as to your academic ability, your score almost seems like a one-off, given the AOA status and the way-better-than-average improvement on between the two Steps. Just wanted to clarify the situation for those who may be sitting on low scores. You otherwise seem all-around baller, best of luck.

Agreed 100%. By no means trying to give false hope to ppl, just trying to balance some of the angst that many of us low-Steppers experience.

You said you got into a top program with a sub-200 Step 1 and only revealed the rest of your stellar app after being asked. That's misleading and unhelpful to applicants with bad scores who don't usually have AOA, 240+ Step 2, abstracts, leadership awards and mostly honors on clerkship.

How does one show interest in psychiatry? I have one mental health ec and I'll be taking 3 psych electives but they're after transcripts get sent out (literally one block after). Should I be telling all the places I apply that I'm taking those electives even though it won't be on the transcript?

Does anyone have experience or stats about people typically accepted in the PA/NJ/NY area especially for average to below average students?

I think Breaking Free was making a humerous reference to dumb and dumber.

I am really intrigued by the fact that your school's system allowed for sub-200 Step 1 scorers to even be considered for AOA, that's great that it worked out! Our school pretty much ranks it with a score that is made 50% by Step 1 scores, 50% by clinical grades. Our GHHS is much more holistic though.

It's so crazy how different institutions can have such different policies on what is probably view uniformly by programs!

So glad to see you pursuing your dream :). I hope you make it. And I think you will ;).

Good luck!

Hi there everyone, I'm a new future Psychiatry hopeful after very recently deciding no longer to pursue EM. Below is the nitty gritty.

Step 1
: 220-230
Step 2 CK/ CS: Scheduled
School: USMD school in the midwest
Class Rank: Likely 3rd quartile (poor 2nd year grades with much improvement in 3rd year clinical grades).
Grades in Clerkships: Honors (A) - FM; HP (AB) - Psych, Neuro, OBGYN; P (B) - Medicine, Surgery
AOA: I wish
Research/ Publications: None
Extracurriculars: Volunteering at local student run clinic; MS government leadership position; Lots of volunteering and work with minority medical student organizations but not much else other than the typical "every now and then" random volunteering.
Quality of LORs if known: Should have solid ones from my Psychiatry attending (CAP Psychiatrist) and an FM attending. Plenty of other options, as I've gotten really great remarks from nearly all faculty I've worked with, but I'm hoping for a couple more from early 4th year rotations.
Red Flags: 1 failed preclinical course. That combined with lower grades (yet passing) during second year prompted a student promotions committee RECOMMENDATION that while I remediate my failed course, I also remediate 4 other MS2 courses I had previously received a BC or C in.

Misc: Non-traditional student with lots of experiences prior to starting medical school. REALLY, REALLY hoping to match in the West/SW/NW because SW, but I'm obviously open to most geographic locations.

From the above, the obvious red flag is grades during second year, but I do feel that things have improved dramatically since that forgettable time in my life. There were some hints during 1st year that 2nd year would be a struggle for me, and I realized early on that I really don't learn well sitting in a classroom for 5 hours, then small group for 2 hours, then burying my face in a book for another 8 hours. That's never really been what I've excelled at. I've discovered that I enjoy talking with people and that I learn best when, for example, I see a patient in the PICU with DKA vs sitting down and reading about it for 4 hours. Excuse for poor second year performance? Probably. But that's just what I've managed to conclude so far in my training.

My other biggest concern is the relative lack of interest in Psychiatry PDs may perceive from my application, because up until just a week or so ago, my path was straight EM (even applied to and was accepted to away EM rotations via VSAS). I really want to avoid the notion that Psychiatry is not my number 1 preferred specialty (will NOT be dual-applying with EM) because it's my understanding that Psychiatry is big on "dedication to specialty". So much so, that PDs are usually willing to accept applicants with lower board scores and grades over others as long as they've demonstrated a stronger commitment to Psychiatry. I honestly think is great, but does put me at a bit of a disadvantage. Maybe I'm mistaken, but is there anyway to boost my CV/application this late in the game to appropriately translate my commitment to Psychiatry? Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi there everyone, I'm a new future Psychiatry hopeful after very recently deciding no longer to pursue EM. Below is the nitty gritty.

Step 1
: 224
Step 2 CK/ CS: Scheduled in August
Class Rank: Likely 3rd quartile (poor 2nd year grades with much improvement in 3rd year clinical grades).
Grades in Clerkships: Honors (A) - FM; HP (AB) - Psych, Neuro, OBGYN; P (B) - Medicine, Surgery
Extracurriculars: Volunteering at local student run clinic; MS government leadership position; Lots of volunteering and work with minority medical student organizations but not much else other than the typical "every now and then" random volunteering.
Quality of LORs if known: Should have solid ones from my Psychiatry attending (CAP Psychiatrist) and an FM attending. Plenty of other options, as I've gotten really great remarks from nearly all faculty I've worked with, but I'm hoping for a couple more from early 4th year rotations.
Red Flags: 1 failed preclinical course. That combined with lower grades (yet passing) during second year prompted a student promotions committee RECOMMENDATION that while I remediate my failed course, I also remediate 4 other MS2 courses I had previously received a BC or C in. Essentially resulting in splitting my second year into 2 years and subsequently repeating ~5 courses (though only 1 being required remediation), all of which were ultimately passed with either a B or AB or A.
Misc: Non-traditional student with lots of experiences prior to starting medical school (military veteran). REALLY, REALLY hoping to match in the West/SW/NW because SW is where I'm originally from and where my family lives, but I'm obviously open to most geographic locations.

From the above, the obvious red flag is grades during second year, but I do feel that things have improved dramatically since that forgettable time in my life. There were some hints during 1st year that 2nd year would be a struggle for me, and I realized early on that I really don't learn well sitting in a classroom for 5 hours, then small group for 2 hours, then burying my face in a book for another 8 hours. That's never really been what I've excelled at. I've discovered that I enjoy talking with people and that I learn best when, for example, I see a patient in the PICU with DKA vs sitting down and reading about it for 4 hours. Excuse for poor second year performance? Probably. But that's just what I've managed to conclude so far in my training.

My other biggest concern is the relative lack of interest in Psychiatry PDs may perceive from my application, because up until just a week or so ago, my path was straight EM (even applied to and was accepted to away EM rotations via VSAS). I really want to avoid the notion that Psychiatry is not my number 1 preferred specialty (will NOT be dual-applying with EM) because it's my understanding that Psychiatry is big on "dedication to specialty". So much so, that PDs are usually willing to accept applicants with lower board scores and grades over others as long as they've demonstrated a stronger commitment to Psychiatry. I honestly think is great, but does put me at a bit of a disadvantage. Maybe I'm mistaken, but is there anyway to boost my CV/application this late in the game to appropriately translate my commitment to Psychiatry? Any feedback is appreciated!

Hey, I think you will be fine and should definitely match, though I will say California and the NW might be a bit tough (still worth applying!). I think you have excellent chances in your home SW region though! I don't know much about those programs but have heard good things about UNM and (I think) University of Arizona.

I think the best things you can do for yourself right now is excel at Step 2 CK (I did close to you on Step 1 and improved a ton for CK and I think that drastically helped me match on the west coast), find a way to demonstrate your psych interest (join APA for free, maybe AACAP if you like child psych, attend a conference, get a position on your local psych interest group, write up a psych case report, etc.), and get some strong letters of recommendation from your M4 psych rotations.

You're right that programs might be concerned that you're applying psych as a backup for EM -- I think you can proactively prevent that by potentially addressing it in your personal statement, even finding a creative way to highlight what made you switch from being set on EM to developing a passion for only psych? Just a thought! You'll be fine, don't stress!

Step 1
: 224
Step 2 CK/ CS: Scheduled in August
Red Flags: 1 failed preclinical course. That combined with lower grades (yet passing) during second year prompted a student promotions committee RECOMMENDATION that while I remediate my failed course, I also remediate 4 other MS2 courses I had previously received a BC or C in. Essentially resulting in splitting my second year into 2 years and subsequently repeating ~5 courses (though only 1 being required remediation), all of which were ultimately passed with either a B or AB or A.
Misc: Non-traditional student with lots of experiences prior to starting medical school (military veteran). REALLY, REALLY hoping to match in the West/SW/NW because SW is where I'm originally from and where my family lives, but I'm obviously open to most geographic locations.

I would focus more on the southwest. Apply to everything in AZ, NM, UT, and carpet bomb as much of CA as you can afford. There are some easier programs to interview at in CA, like Irvine or SFV. They interviewed me, and I never heard from top tier programs like Stanford / UCSF / UWash lol.

There is a paragraph in the ERAS app that is global to all programs applied for, and that is a good spot to mention you are all in for psychiatry. Remember, you can write a separate PS for each program so committing to psych only in your PS is not as strong.

I only applied with 1 psych LOR, 1 psych elective, took 5 years, non-trad, and I did fine in the end. Good luck!

Since Psych interviews roll out before transcripts are updated, are 4th year Psych electives more for a conversation piece during the interview? It seems that most applicants wouldn't an elective on their transcript yet.

Since Psych interviews roll out before transcripts are updated, are 4th year Psych electives more for a conversation piece during the interview? It seems that most applicants wouldn't an elective on their transcript yet.

Bingo. Also for places that haven't invited you yet that you really, really, really want to go to, you can "update" the program on your having done such and such relevant elective. Don't overdo this.

Bingo. Also for places that haven't invited you yet that you really, really, really want to go to, you can "update" the program on your having done such and such relevant elective. Don't overdo this.

Yeah. If I were a PD, I would be like "okay?".

Step 1: 209

Step 2 CK/ CS
: CS in June / CK in July

School
: SGU (Caribbean), US Citizen

Class Rank
: No idea, not bottom nor the top

Clerkship Grades
(specify if H/P/F system): All A's except for surgery which was a B. (Didn't get honors in psych as our school only gives honors to students who score above 96 on the shelf).

AOA
: Not sure what this is, so I'll say no

Research/ Publications
: Undergrad research/publication in micro, currently working on a psych paper with a resident and hope to finish before September. I'm also interested in research involving psych and tech (currently sending out feelers for co-authors). However, this is on the back burner until Step 2 is finished.

Extracurriculars
: I give a presentation on psych drugs for each new batch of MS3s at the local hospital to help them with the psych shelf. I also mentor some kids (nothing official, just helping others). On the student government board for clinicals. Member of APA and PsychSIGN. Right now I'm helping a friend who is opening a hackerspace nearby start an afterschool program for kids interested in technology.

Quality of LORs if known
: All attending letters -- 1 strong in Psych, 1 strong in Surgery (he knows I want psych but strongly encouraged me to apply for surgery), 1 strong in Peds, 1 average in FM (the attending writes generic letters for all students). I'm striving for a letter from the directors of each psych program I rotate with during 4th year (which as of now there are 3).

Red flags
: TL;DR: 3-years in basic sciences, 1 failed class (subsequently withdrawn from school and then reinstated after appeal).
This is a long story that I'm going to try my best to summarize: SGU has a zero-tolerance policy for poor test performance (no judgement on them) but they do allow students to "decell" one semester if they think they will not be able to pass a class. It's a "do-over" opportunity that students can use once in their 2-years of basic sciences. The catch is that If a student fails a class they are withdrawn from the school with discrimination as they did not take the opportunity to decell. I decelled my first semester to repeat biochem and anatomy. The next semester, I failed neuroanatomy. The story gets really interesting here (I can give details if requested), but I was withdrawn from the school for the failed grade. Luckily, I was allowed to appeal my case and afterwhich I was reinstated in the school (a very rare occurrence and there aren't words to express how grateful I am that I was given the opportunity to continue my education). After that it was smooth sailing, but all of this resulted in adding an additional year to my basic science education. As with every other person on the planet, there were extenuating circumstances that contributed to this sequence of events (my father passed away, I had a son, my mother moved in with my family after her house was foreclosed on, etc. ad nauseum), but I'm realistic about the consequences that this red flag has despite the reasons for it.

Where you would like to end up
: Location isn't as important for me as the chance for advancement and the opportunity to really learn the field, not just the knowledge that comes with residency (e.g., the chance to see the good, the bad, and the ugly of real psychiatry in practice). Ideally, I want to put down roots and contribute wherever I wind up (work with the residency program, become an attending, 'help the next generation of psychiatrists,' possibly teach at the local medical school, do some research, all that stuffs). Landing at a program that can foster that would be amazing. Two last considerations are a fairly decent public school system (my son will be entering Kindergarten in 2018) and not having a high cost of living. If I had to pick by region: Northeast (we have family in Seattle who are in need of some support right now), Midwest (husband's family), Southwest (my family), Southeast, and Midatlantic states. The New England states are on the bottom of the list (mainly because of the school/price of living considerations). Right now I see myself in child/adolescent psych and have considered Triple board residencies as well.

EDIT: NorthWEST (we have family in Seattle who are in need of some support right now) -- thank you MacDonaldTriad :)

Thank you for reading that novel and I look forward to your feedback.

Last edited:

Where you would like to end up
: If I had to pick by region: Northeast (we have family in Seattle who are in need of some support right now),

Was this a slip, or your you actively avoiding adding to your full plate? Seattle isn't New England. :p

AOA is Alpha Omega Alpha, a medical school honor society.

Coming from the Caribbean with a red flag will not be easy I'm afraid. Try and get a faculty member interested in the paper you are involved with. A resident will have a difficult time getting this published unless it is in a resident journal or something less impressive. Try and get psych MS4 rotations in realistic places that have psych residencies. If you do well, a lot can be over looked. Congratulations on persistence, and good luck.

Was this a slip, or your you actively avoiding adding to your full plate? Seattle isn't New England. :p

Ha! Thanks for the thorough reading and the advice. The three audition rotations I have are with programs that have have accepted SGU students in the past :thumbup:

Congratulations on persistence, and good luck.

Thank you.

Places that interview and take IMGs. You have already said you are doing this right, but it would be possible to do three "audition" rotations at places that will not even consider you. These hard to get into places are easy to identify; just look for the cringe when you use the term "audition rotation". Fancy places like to think you are asking to rotate with them for the excellent teaching. If you happen to impress them, than so much the better for you.

There are very few programs in the PNW. You have no chance in hell at matching at UW. You have a small chance of getting into the UW boise track where you could spend the first 2 yrs in Seattle and the last 2 in Boise. If you just apply for the boise track that would be better than also applying for the regular seattle track. You have very little chance of matching at OHSU. You could try Providence Spokane (which is a good program, the program director is british) and Samaritan Health in Corvallis. There has been talk of starting a residency in the seattle area for indians (Psychiatry Residency Overview | PSPC Training) but im not sure when that would happen

Hi all, would appreciate your help as I just recently decided on psych!

Step 1
: mid 250s
Step 2 CK/ CS: CK mid 250s, CS Pass
School: brand name northeast MD school.
Class Rank: I don't know yet. Most likely 2nd or 3rd quartile.
Grades in Clerkships: P in surgery. HP in everything else, including psych.
AOA: no
Research/ Publications: ~15. Mix of original research, case reports, review, book chapter. Some on social issues. Zero in psych proper, most in a different field.
Extracurriculars: mostly global health/public health related
Quality of LORs if known: hopefully good!
Red Flags: none
Misc: Hoping to match in the NE. I'm interested in competitive, academic programs. I realize my application is solid overall, but I'm concerned about my chances at highly competitive programs given lack of evidence of longstanding interest in psych. I've also gotten mixed advice about away rotations. Not sure whether to do one or not.

You could try Providence Spokane (which is a good program, the program director is british) and Samaritan Health in Corvallis.

I was curious about the Spokane program and we have placed a few people there. Thank you.