***The Official 2017-2018 Osteopathic Underdawgs***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @OsteopathicHopeful for coming up with this idea!

This thread is meant to help each other through secondaries, interviews, and beyond I want us to be able to post anything and have similar individuals comment and provide feedback.

It is is reserved for those w/ less than a 24 MCAT or less than 3.25 sGPA or cGPA. It can be either of those particulars, or both. Additionally, I would consider those that have 6 or below within a subsection of the MCAT to be within the underdawg range as well.

Below is to help those who are applying this year with the new MCAT scoring system (the following assumptions are considered hypothetical as scoring scales vary from test date to test date):

Based on a hypothetical chart showing old (before 2015) MCAT conversions between the estimated scale score (1-15) and the percentiles of each of those scores (0-100), the 50th percentile is a composite score of around 25. So one could consider the individual scores within Verbal Reasoning, Biological Sciences, and Physical Sciences of 7-8 to be around the 50th percentile as well. So thus we can consider underdawgs to have a composite score that is below the 50th percentile (or around a 24).

So with that in mind, we can consider the 2015 MCAT composite score of 500 to be the 50th percentile. So scores below 500 could be considered "underdawg" range (or individual scores below 125).....again, this is VERY hypothetical as percentiles vary slightly across test dates).

Perhaps the most difficult of having OK academic stats is getting through the primary and secondary screens to land and interview. In many cases, an interview is a subliminal message from the school that they believe you can succeed in the preclinical and clinical curriculum of medical school.

If you feel any additional information can be added to help those in this situation feel free to PM me or any of the other pre-DO mods.

Previous Underdog Threads:
2016-2017 Underdawgs Thread
2015-2016 Underdog results

Best of luck to you gals/guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Ill start it off!

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "Reply" on the most recent underdog list.
2) Delete the quote brackets at both the top and the bottom of the post.
3a) Add your username alphabetically if it is not on the list.
3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
4) If you see some formatting errors and you have time, try to fix them.
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration
*Special Consideration: Military Service, International Student, IA

ill be a doc soon 3.07/3.01/4.0 DIY postbacc (43 units)/ 514 MCAT/ submitting primary by end of june

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Woohoo!

I really think that listing URM status is important for these. A URM that gets in with my stats tells me very little about my (non-URM) chances, for example.

3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration

ill be a doc soon 3.07/3.01/4.0 DIY postbacc (43 units)/ 514 MCAT/ submitting primary by end of june
Orlandoc 3.38 / 3.04 / 505 (125/126/127/127) / Submitted 5/9/17 - Pending Verification
parslea 3.15 / 3.04 / 509 (124/128/127/130) / non-URM / submitting primaries after June grades / NA / NA

YEAH LOOK AT THESE UNDERDAWGS. WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT THIS YEAR GUYS.

Reactions: 3 users
5) Click "Post Reply"

Darth Revan93 3.3/3.3/507 (129/123/130/125)/ Submitting by the end of May
Orlandoc 3.38 / 3.04 / 505 (125/126/127/127) / Submitted 5/9/17 - Pending Verification
parslea 3.15 / 3.04 / 509 (124/128/127/130) / non-URM / submitting primaries after June grades / NA / NA

Just dropping in to give some encouragement for you guys! I was a major DO underdawg last year (3.2/3.0/502) and was admitted to my top choice DO school with several interview invites thanks to an early app and being incredibly persistent with admissions. It's important to do the things you can control REALLY WELL aka early af app, stellar essays, and keeping in touch with admissions rep if your schools offer that. Good luck :)

Edit: Also if you interview at ACOM, try the chipotle mayo!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
How did u keep in touch with admissions?
Just dropping in to give some encouragement for you guys! I was a major DO underdawg last year (3.2/3.0/502) and was admitted to my top choice DO school with several interview invites thanks to an early app and being incredibly persistent with admissions. It's important to do the things you can control REALLY WELL aka early af app, stellar essays, and keeping in touch with admissions rep if your schools offer that. Good luck :)

Would you consider all secondary essays completed by first week of August "early af app"?

Congrats! What schools did you interview at? And how early did you submit your app?

Congrats! What schools did you interview at? And how early did you submit your app?
Thanks! I interviewed at ACOM, MSUCOM, Wayne and Central Michigan. I turned down interviews at KCU and BCOM, and withdrew from all DO's early September when I was admitted to MSU. My AACOMAS app was verified June 2, and I had all secondaries in by the end of July. My ACOM and MSUCOM interviews were both in the first two weeks of August.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was also an underdawg last year and manage to hit 7 interviews. The key is to hit that submit button asap, but make sure your app is ready too.
I'll answer any question you guys have. I'll start school at ACOM in the fall. It's the love at first sight for my case as ACOM was the 2nd school I interviewed and I decided to turn down everyone else (LMU,BCOM,WVSOM,TUN, and CUSOM)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When you say to be persistent with admissions and keep in touch with an admissions rep, what exactly does that entail? What kinds of things did you keep in touch about?
I reached out to every school who had an admissions rep listed and discussed my application/expressed my interest. MSUCOM offers admissions appointments as did Wayne, so I met with the advisors once before the cycle and once during. MSU asks you to list the interactions you've had with the school on their secondary, so I did as many as possible, including admissions webinars, in person med school expos, school tour, advising appt. This in-depth stuff can really only apply if you have a school within driving distance, but I know for me it's likely what made my app stand out.

This also means sending in relevant updates pre/post-II and just show your genuine interest in being at the school.

Reactions: 5 users
So for those whom are re-applicants, what did they do for GPA calculations if you had retakes marked last cycle? I opted to transfer all my info over from last cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rooting for you guys! I believe I'd be considered an underdawg as well last cycle and received an acceptance.

So my sGPA took a hit this semester and dropped to a 2.85 (also dropped because AACOMAS doesn't count math courses in the sGPA like AMCAS). My cGPA is a 3.31, MCAT-501. Lots of shadowing, volunteering, research, and strong letters of rec, so other than the low GPA I am a decent applicant. I am taking summer classes which will boost my sGPA to a 3.1, but that wont be on my transcript until August. My question is should I apply with the low sGPA now for the sake of applying early, or wait until August when my summer grades are posted to avoid being screened out?

So my sGPA took a hit this semester and dropped to a 2.85 (also dropped because AACOMAS doesn't count math courses in the sGPA like AMCAS). My cGPA is a 3.31, MCAT-501. Lots of shadowing, volunteering, research, and strong letters of rec, so other than the low GPA I am a decent applicant. I am taking summer classes which will boost my sGPA to a 3.1, but that wont be on my transcript until August. My question is should I apply with the low sGPA now for the sake of applying early, or wait until August when my summer grades are posted to avoid being screened out?
Definitely wait. That >3.0 cutoff may hurt you at some schools, and August is still early for DO!

Definitely wait. That >3.0 cutoff may hurt you at some schools, and August is still early for DO!

Wow, August really?
My stats are meh, but I was hoping to take the MCAT July 30th :( and feel like that might be way too late.

Wow, August really?
My stats are meh, but I was hoping to take the MCAT July 30th :( and feel like that might be way too late.
Adcoms on this site will tell you anything before thanksgiving is good for DO!

That's insane. Did not know that. Thanks for the info!
Eh I'm not sure about that. I didn't get my app in until mid November and I ended up with only one interview...and my stats are fairly decent.

Wait until August! From what Ive read the DO cycle is much longer and the difference between June and August is very minimal. If you're also applying to MD schools, August might be pushing it though.

Congrats! This is very encouraging. I am pretty new to DO and am wondering how early is "early"? I've read somewhere that early for DO is different than MD.

Congrats! This is very encouraging. I am pretty new to DO and am wondering how early is "early"? I've read somewhere that early for DO is different than MD.
I think anything before September is 'early'. For MD submit July at latest

Hey there fellow dawggies, I'm here to join the kennel. I'll be updating my MCAT once I find out my score at the end of May and we'll see just how much of an underdog I am.

5) Click "Post Reply"

DanseMacabre99 3.18 / 3.02 / MCAT TBD / Submitting by the end of May

5) Click "Post Reply"

Orlandoc 3.33 / 3.19 / 505 (125/126/127/127) / Verified 05-17
Harkas 3.33/3.26/3.8 DIY postbacc/MCAT TBD/Submitting by the end of May

5) Click "Post Reply"

kamakazi5 3.39/3.3/3.95 postbac (50+ units) 503 MCAT (126/124/127/126) / submitting in June

5) Click "Post Reply"

kamakazi5 3.39/3.3/3.95 postbac (50+ units) 503 MCAT (126/124/127/126) / submitting in June
parslea 3.15 / 3.04 / 509 (124/128/127/130) / non-URM / submitting primaries after June grades
GPAreplaced 2.85/3.15/postbac3.65/gGPA 3.3 (3.2/3.6 before rule change) 501 MCAT from 2015 with retake pending 7/22/17. 1.5 years of great healthcare experience, over 100 hours shadowing, over 1500 hours research, international volunteer, bilingual, nontraditional.

5) Click "Post Reply"

DoctorCrush 3.44 / 3.31 (MCAT TBD) / Submitting *Hopefully* August / A decade as a nurse, non-trad, trilingual, lots of community exp.
parslea 3.15 / 3.04 / 509 (124/128/127/130) / non-URM / submitting primaries after June grades
GPAreplaced 2.85/3.15/postbac3.65/gGPA 3.3 (3.2/3.6 before rule change) 501 MCAT from 2015 with retake pending 7/22/17. 1.5 years of great healthcare experience, over 100 hours shadowing, over 1500 hours research, international volunteer, bilingual, nontraditional.

Ill start it off!

5) Click "Post Reply"

What did your 4.0 postbacc raise your GPA to? I feel like if it raised it to a 3.3+ you could definitely also apply to low-end MD (some mid) with that great MCAT score.

What did your 4.0 postbacc raise your GPA to? I feel like if it raised it to a 3.3+ you could definitely also apply to low-end MD (some mid) with that great MCAT score.
My gpa includes my postbacc grades... I was recommended to apply to all DO schools and a mix of low tier MDs. Im only going to apply to DO though because I feel like MD is more of a longshot for me and Id rather save the money.

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck to all the underdawgs. Keep working hard, bust your tail, and make all the connections you can.

At one time I thought the game was over, but I kept pushing.

I made it in, and so can you!

Reactions: 8 users
Good luck guys. I was in your shoes and it took me 3 cycles before I got in. Don't let the set backs discourage you, just keep pushing forward. You guys got this!

Reactions: 6 users
5) Click "Post Reply"

Caronirona 3.5/3.24/503/submitting in August. Years of scribing, chief scribing, a lot of volunteering to specific minority community, bilingual
DoctorCrush 3.44 / 3.31 (MCAT TBD) / Submitting *Hopefully* August / A decade as a nurse, non-trad, trilingual, lots of community exp.
hopefuldoctor93 3.09/3.23/3.83 last 90 hrs/511 MCAT/submitting first week of June/ URM and TX resident

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

Wait, so some schools state that they look at your last 60 or 90 credit hours. Are they referring to the credits in quarter or semester form?

Similarly, those who did post-bacs's, are your last hours in quarter or semester? Or does it not matter and I'm being paranoid?

Ex-applicant popping in to say how much this thread helped during the past cycle. Never give up, keep pushing forward and you can do it! :)

@DanseMacabre99 They look at 60 semester credits = 90 quarter credits (last 2 years). It doesnt really matter what your postbacc was.

Also, can you tell me which schools these are, with a link on their website for where it says they do this?

Last edited:
@DanseMacabre99 They look at 60 semester credits = 90 quarter credits (last 2 years). It doesnt really matter what your postbacc was.

Also, can you tell me which schools these are, with a link on their website for where it says they do this?
I see, and sure!

This is from Wmed:
Application Requirements | WMed
I think it's under the selection criteria.

And then by word of mouth: Wayne State and Central MI.

Reactions: 2 users
5) Click "Post Reply"

Caronirona 3.5/3.24/503/submitting in August. Years of scribing, chief scribing, a lot of volunteering to specific minority community, bilingual
DanseMacabre99 3.18 / 3.02 / 3.79 (post-bac, 61 units)/ 506 MCAT / Verified 5/30/17.
hopefuldoctor93 3.09/3.23/3.83 last 90 hrs/511 MCAT/submitting first week of June/ URM and TX resident

Last edited:
5) Click "Post Reply"

DanseMacabre99 3.18 / 3.02 / 3.79 (post-bac, 61 units)/ 506 MCAT / Verified 5/30/17.

Are you URM? The comparative aspect of this is not possible if we don't know if people's URM status.

This thread makes me feel better! So tired of all the gunners basically telling anyone with <3.8 that they're ****ed.

5) Click "Post Reply"

JennyHavoc 3.01/2.95ish/3.49 DIY postbac (41 units)/~513 MCAT judging by practice exams
GPAreplaced 2.85/3.15/postbac3.65/gGPA 3.3 (3.2/3.6 before rule change) 501 MCAT from 2015 with retake pending 7/22/17. 1.5 years of great healthcare experience, over 100 hours shadowing, over 1500 hours research, international volunteer, bilingual, nontraditional.[/QUOTE]

5) Click "Post Reply"

JennyHavoc 3.01/2.95ish/3.49 DIY postbac (41 units)/~513 MCAT judging by practice exams
thestudiousmeathead: 3.10 cGPA/2.93 sGPA/505 MCAT. Verified 5/26. 1300hrs scribing, 500hrs volunteering, amateur competitive athlete. Non-trad-ish. Lost ~100 pounds when I decided to pursue medicine, included in PS.

5) Click "Post Reply"

thestudiousmeathead: 3.10 cGPA/2.93 sGPA/505 MCAT. Verified 5/26. 1300hrs scribing, 500hrs volunteering, amateur competitive athlete. Non-trad-ish. Lost ~100 pounds when I decided to pursue medicine, included in PS.
Donald J. Trump: 3.22 C / 3.37 S / 508≥MCAT≥ 503. 125 shadow, 120 volunteer, 1 pub, submitting July 6th

5) Click "Post Reply"

hopefuldoctor93 3.09/3.23/3.83 last 90 hrs/511 MCAT/Submitted 06/12/17 / URM and TX resident
Donald J. Trump: 3.22 C / 3.37 S / 508≥MCAT≥ 503. 125 shadow, 120 volunteer, 1 pub, submitting July 6th

5) Click "Post Reply"

hopefuldoctor93 3.09/3.23/3.83 last 90 hrs/511 MCAT/Submitted 06/12/17 / URM and TX resident

5) Click "Post Reply"

GPAreplaced 2.9/3.25/postbac3.65/medical gGPA 3.4 (3.2/3.6 before rule change) 501 MCAT from 2015. 1.5 years of great healthcare experience, over 100 hours shadowing, over 1500 hours research, international volunteer, bilingual, nontraditional.

5) Click "Post Reply"

DerArzt321 3.41 / 3.19 / Sept MCAT / Submitting primary ASAP; October MCAT release date.
GPAreplaced 2.9/3.25/postbac3.65/medical gGPA 3.4 (3.2/3.6 before rule change) 501 MCAT from 2015. 1.5 years of great healthcare experience, over 100 hours shadowing, over 1500 hours research, international volunteer, bilingual, nontraditional.