The **NEW & IMPROVED** official low gpa thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No one here really had my situation, so I guess il pony up and take the heat. middle of last two semesters (one being a super senior semester) in my undergrad. cGPA 2.78, sGPA 2.8 . . . No MCAT. URM

Issue: Its not only low, but baggage is real. . . 3.5 semester of filth to add up to 6 years (including next semester)

Options?

Members don't see this ad.

No one here really had my situation, so I guess il pony up and take the heat. middle of last two semesters (one being a super senior semester) in my undergrad. cGPA 2.78, sGPA 2.8 . . . No MCAT. URM

Issue: Its not only low, but baggage is real. . . 3.5 semester of filth to add up to 6 years (including next semester)

Options?
SMP, probably

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having trouble deciding between whether I should do an SMP, regular masters, or just take classes.

I graduated from a top 20 uni this past May with a 3.37 cgpa, 3.2 sgpa with an upward trend. I've taken the mcat twice and have gotten a 26 (ps 8, v 8, bs 10) and then a 30 (ps 10, v 11, bs 9). I'm an ORM as well.

FWIW, to raise my sGPA to a 3.5, I'd have to take 33 hrs and maintain a 4.0.

I have strong EC's ranging including being a head manager on a varsity sports team, coaching a high school soccer team , leadership positions in clubs, and working in a research lab with a publication on the way as a second author. I've accrued approximately 50 hrs of non-clinical volunteering, 100 hrs of clinical volunteering, and 65 hours of shadowing. I plan to do more My LoR's are strong as I knew my professors very well.

If anyone could give any insight on whether I would be a suitable applicant for SMPs (I know there is a big risk involved both financially and academically) or whether I should pursue a DIY post-bacc or just do a health-related/physiology masters program, it would be much appreciated!

If I were you I would do a DIY post-bacc at your nearest 4-state institution where you can pay in-state tuition. A 3.5/30 might give you a decent shot at your state school (unless you're in California). Can you raise your MCAT another point or two?

I'm having trouble deciding between whether I should do an SMP, regular masters, or just take classes.

I graduated from a top 20 uni this past May with a 3.37 cgpa, 3.2 sgpa with an upward trend. I've taken the mcat twice and have gotten a 26 (ps 8, v 8, bs 10) and then a 30 (ps 10, v 11, bs 9). I'm an ORM as well.

FWIW, to raise my sGPA to a 3.5, I'd have to take 33 hrs and maintain a 4.0.

I have strong EC's ranging including being a head manager on a varsity sports team, coaching a high school soccer team , leadership positions in clubs, and working in a research lab with a publication on the way as a second author. I've accrued approximately 50 hrs of non-clinical volunteering, 100 hrs of clinical volunteering, and 65 hours of shadowing. I plan to do more My LoR's are strong as I knew my professors very well.

If anyone could give any insight on whether I would be a suitable applicant for SMPs (I know there is a big risk involved both financially and academically) or whether I should pursue a DIY post-bacc or just do a health-related/physiology masters program, it would be much appreciated!
FWIW, you're probably a shoo-in for a DO school. I'll tell you I got into my in-state (MD) medical school with not much higher quantitative stats than you. My GPA was a low 3.5 and my science GPA was about the same (3.4-3.5). A SMP is always worth it if you're gonna dedicate yourself to the work and knock it out of the park; they're expensive, but if you're mindset on going MD, it's a good investment in your future.

I'll put it succinctly for you guys: I finished undergrad in 2014 with a BA in psychology. 2.8 cGPA and and 2.6 sGPA. 4 failures in the prereqs and 4 withdrawals. Finished all my pre-reqs, took mcat last month and got my score today: 512. Basically I was a burn-out until reality hit me, and I actually applied myself for MCAT studying. Should I aim for a post bacc to repair my abysmal GPA, or go for an SMP instead?

I don't think I am competitive enough yet for the good SMP programs. I am thinking I need to both re-take courses I did poorly in, and complete an SMP after. Any thoughts ? I have accrued over 160 hours of under grad work. Even if I ace 40 credits of post bacc, I believe my cGPA would only raise to ~3.15. Still above the dreaded 2.0 range. Should I just start a DIY post bacc classes this spring, while applying for SMP programs? I'm not really sure how to proceed...
The 2.whatever, the 4 failures in the pre-reqs, and the 4 withdrawals is going to hurt your chances. My advice would be to retake all the pre-reqs that you failed/withdrew from, knock them out with A's, and apply DO utilizing their "grade replacement policy" (not even sure if they still do this...I'm old). I have one colleague that retook her failed pre-reqs as a "non-degree seeking" student and then she got in DO. I can't comment much on your MCAT because I'm not up-to-speed with the new scale. Best of luck

2.08 cGPA after 43 credits, from cramming , procrastination and poor study habits. I have 101 credit hours left to complete in undergrad due to changing majors.My goal is straight As for my next upcoming semesters, I hope I can do this. I know it may seem unrealistic :bag::(:yeahright: but I have hope in addition to retaking a D in a non pre requiste course! ugh! Ill top out at a 3.7-3.9 hopefully from my calculations. My school grades on a .10 scale, no - or +, just A, B, C, D, F .then kill the MCAT, do a masters that is designed for professional school although not technically considered a SMP. Its at MUSC in charleston SC here in my home state. And then hopefully matriculate into med school at MUSC, because that is my number one choice, although no gurantee. easier said then done of course.:( . My biggest drawback is studying ! I cant motivate myself to study! ugh :mad::shrug::bang:..the MOST simple thing and I cant seem to do it :wtf::boom: or motivate myself to do it early instead of cramming.

2.08 cGPA after 43 credits, from cramming , procrastination and poor study habits. I have 101 credit hours left to complete in undergrad due to changing majors.My goal is straight As for my next upcoming semesters, I hope I can do this. I know it may seem unrealistic :bag::(:yeahright: but I have hope in addition to retaking a D in a non pre requiste course! ugh! Ill top out at a 3.7-3.9 hopefully from my calculations. My school grades on a .10 scale, no - or +, just A, B, C, D, F .then kill the MCAT, do a masters that is designed for professional school although not technically considered a SMP. Its at MUSC in charleston SC here in my home state. And then hopefully matriculate into med school at MUSC, because that is my number one choice, although no gurantee. easier said then done of course.:( . My biggest drawback is studying ! I cant motivate myself to study! ugh :mad::shrug::bang:..the MOST simple thing and I cant seem to do it :wtf::boom: or motivate myself to do it early instead of cramming.

Here's my piece of advice for studying; break it up into chunks and space your studying out throughout the semester. If you can, spend an hour reading the chapter that a lecture is going to be on BEFORE the lecture, then spend another hour going over the lecture again after the lecture. The reason why this method works is because you're spacing your learning out throughout the semester, so that when the midterm comes around, you're reviewing material that you've already mastered instead of learning new material. You should not be learning new material in the few days leading up to a midterm, it should all be review at that point. If you do this, you will find that procrastinating is less of a problem because you won't be so overwhelmed by the sheer amount of material you need to know for an exam, because you've been building on your knowledge base throughout the semester. This is how A-students study.

I went from averaging a 2.9 overall gpa my first two years to a 3.5 my second two years after making this change in study habits (at a difficult school known for grade deflation). I know that a 3.5 is not phenomenal by any means, but it was a huge improvement over what I was doing before. Give it a shot.

Here's my piece of advice for studying; break it up into chunks and space your studying out throughout the semester. If you can, spend an hour reading the chapter that a lecture is going to be on BEFORE the lecture, then spend another hour going over the lecture again after the lecture. The reason why this method works is because you're spacing your learning out throughout the semester, so that when the midterm comes around, you're reviewing material that you've already mastered instead of learning new material. You should not be learning new material in the few days leading up to a midterm, it should all be review at that point. If you do this, you will find that procrastinating is less of a problem because you won't be so overwhelmed by the sheer amount of material you need to know for an exam, because you've been building on your knowledge base throughout the semester. This is how A-students study.

I went from averaging a 2.9 overall gpa my first two years to a 3.5 my second two years after making this change in study habits (at a difficult school known for grade deflation). I know that a 3.5 is not phenomenal by any means, but it was a huge improvement over what I was doing before. Give it a shot.
THANK YOU!!! I will definitely give this a shot.

Hi everyone!

Just looking for some feedback - anything constructive (criticism or otherwise) is more than welcome.

I had a 3.21 GPA and a sGPA of 2.91 in undergrad which was about 4 years ago. I took the MCAT when I graduated in 2011 and received a 22.

Much of my grades reflect the ups-and-downs of my father's illness as his caregiver throughout my undergraduate career, having to come home on weekends to look after him with my mom, up until his passing during my senior year of college. Though it solidified my desire to become a physician, it unfortunately took a toll on my grades.

Since graduating, I've been a laboratory assistant with the state of CT and in an internship for almost 2 years working with a PI in Hep C research...our literature review is pending.

I have a few ECs, good recommendations and plan on taking the MCAT again in April 2016, but I was wondering whether I should:

a) Start a DIY post-bacc program by re-taking some of the core sciences and taking advanced science courses / proper post-bacc program
b) Pursue a 2nd bachelor's degree
c) Apply to SMP programs
d) Apply to masters programs
e) Just give up and go to the Caribbean

Thanks for the help!

Hi everyone!

Just looking for some feedback - anything constructive (criticism or otherwise) is more than welcome.

I had a 3.21 GPA and a sGPA of 2.91 in undergrad which was about 4 years ago. I took the MCAT when I graduated in 2011 and received a 22.

Much of my grades reflect the ups-and-downs of my father's illness as his caregiver throughout my undergraduate career, having to come home on weekends to look after him with my mom, up until his passing during my senior year of college. Though it solidified my desire to become a physician, it unfortunately took a toll on my grades.

Since graduating, I've been a laboratory assistant with the state of CT and in an internship for almost 2 years working with a PI in Hep C research...our literature review is pending.

I have a few ECs, good recommendations and plan on taking the MCAT again in April 2016, but I was wondering whether I should:

a) Start a DIY post-bacc program by re-taking some of the core sciences and taking advanced science courses / proper post-bacc program
b) Pursue a 2nd bachelor's degree
c) Apply to SMP programs
d) Apply to masters programs
e) Just give up and go to the Caribbean

Thanks for the help!
I'd say retake the science classes you did poorly in + take some extra upper level classes DIY + apply DO and MD if you can pull your MCAT score up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I'm a new poster and looking for some constructive advice.
I recently graduated undergrad with biology major uGPA 2.78, so my sGPA is similar... 2.5. I am currently enrolled in a informal post-bacc at my state university, basically taking classes at will to try to raise my GPA.
My advisor tells me that my post-graduate GPA will outweigh my grades from my undergrad but I feel doubtful. I want to apply to MD schools but I also looking at DO schools because of grade replacement, but my dream school is my states' MD school, which is also my alma mater from undergrad.

I'm not sure if I should stay in the informal post-bacc an additional year to try to raise my cGPA and sGPA to at least a 3.0 before I apply to schools. Will 2 years of A's in a postbacc outweigh 4 years of Bs/Cs from my undergrad years or should I try to apply for a more formal SMP that will accept GPAs <3.o.

Thanks for all your help!

Reactions: 1 user
So I have a tentative plan in my head about what the best course of action is for myself.

So I have a 2.92 cGPA and 2.95 sGPA. I took the new MCAT and got an 510 which is close I think to a 32-33 old MCAT. I have several years of clinical experience- I work as a sleep technologist since summer of 2014 and volunteered heavily in hospitals in my undergrad. I have up to 200 plus hours of shadowing-primary care and neurology. I also have humanities research experience- more community health oriented.

Also URM.

So basically the weakest part of my application is my GPA and maybe LOR from science teachers. I could get letters from the multiple doctors I work with.

My question is whether I should retake classes next year to raise my GPA then SMP or if I should try to just apply to a SMP next year. The reason I'm asking is because I am below the 3.0 cutoff I've heard about and don't want to be rejected outrightly. But I feel like I'll be ready now to do a SMP.

Any help would be appreciated. I am open to DO and MD.

Also is it appropriate to ask former teachers for LOR from my undergrad if I did well in their class but they don't exactly know me and it's been about two years since I attended. I graduated in 2014.

Loooong Time lurker here, finally decided to post myself here.

My stats are perrretttyyyy baaad..ESPECIALLY for a transfer student
AMCAS cGPA 2.640:eek: sGPA 2.341:bang: WOW.
AACOMAS cGPA 2.878 sGPA 2.757 Redeemable? Probably if I simply retake all these C's I had back when I was fooling around.

Would take quite a bit of work to get there back up to a 3.0, and I honestly don't really trust myself in getting being an absolutely perfect student. I don't think it's particularly a motivational thing, I work pretty hard, but probably not very smart. I'm just finally starting to understand my own study habits right BEFORE I graduate unfortunately so I have a pretty decent upward trend and It'll hopefully show this quarter when I see my grades.

Some Stats:
500+ volunteer hours at Stanford Hospital, 200+ @ the UCSF Benioff Hospital @ Oakland (I know they're a bit out of the way from each other)
50+ hours shadowing under an ER MD & a DO. The ER MD is pretty cool :) and my shadowing experience with her further strengthened my resolve to become an MD, she's my current "guidance" counselor whenever I shadow under her on a weekly basis.
No research unfortunately.. yikes
I have some pretty decent LORs, moderate ECs (I could probably strengthen those a bit more)
Hoping to get an EMT-B license after I graduate, I'm finishing up this year with a B.S in Biology.

Now that I calculated all my stats, I regret applying for graduation so early :(. I was thinking of possibly going for a second B.A degree in Psychology or another B.S, but from what I've read, it seems like it's rather silly to go after another B.S (not exactly sure what the reason was). Another thing I was thinking of doing is a DIY Post-Bac while re-taking certain pre-reqs that I'm sure I could do much better in (while making sure I don't take them at a community college). Considering I don't screw up the rest of my chances, from what I've calculated, I could potentially muster up a 3.051 cGPA and a 2.990 sGPA(I should probably take another course or two to make sure that's over a 3). Afterwards I could go for an SMP, after taking the MCAT, at a linked school schools while probably working on my ECs from my hopeful EMT job while I'm working on my unfortunate GPA.

I could also go towards the DO route instead and re-take the same classes at another community college (since I've read that the grade replacement is much more forgiving for the Adcoms for the AACOMAS) and the highest my cGPA would go to would be a 3.510 with a 3.501 sGPA (pretty good for DO school). Then just simply apply to DO school.

I would like I stay in CA, but since its probably the most competitive state, I'm willing to go anywhere. I read a thread in the front page about SMP programs from Dr. Madlife and looked at the Category 1 SMPs and noticed USC as one of those programs. I probably should've emailed/called them and asked them for more information about their program have done a little bit more research. I'm more concerned on how connected their MD program is to their Master of Science in Global Medicine program and whether those that finish the MSGMP are allowed entry to the medical school. The website itself is pretty vague and doesn't give a whole lot of detail about the MD integration.

Lemme know what you guys think! I don't really mind either route. But as long as both routes are open to me, I'll always choose the MD route because of my guidance counselor!

P.S I'm a CA resident (if you didn't know) & I'm not a URM.

Tl;dr: 23 yr old messed around too much in undergrad, has a crappy gpa, wrote a long post to hopefully get the attention of people who know more than me, smack me around a bit more for a reality check whilst giving me advice. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, just trying to get some feedback on what to do.

Undergraduate: 3.18 cGPA, 2.97 sGPA - BS in Medical Laboratory Science (Downward trend - No F's, No D's, No C-, Three C in Clinical Hematology, Histology, and Immunology [Major classes - hard to retake due to limited spots at a liberal college], Two C+ in Calculus II and A&P II, No withdraw or repeats) - I've worked a lot during my undergrad year due to financial issue.
Graduate: 3.7 GPA - Master in Public Health in Ivy School
Strong LOR & EC & Research
MCAT:
25 Retaking the MCAT in April - Confident in scoring at least 508 due to taking practice exam.

Post-bac to improve GPA? or SMP? Would I qualify for any in my situation right now?

Hi everyone, just trying to get some feedback on what to do.

Undergraduate: 3.18 cGPA, 2.97 sGPA - BS in Medical Laboratory Science (Downward trend - No F's, No D's, No C-, Three C in Clinical Hematology, Histology, and Immunology [Major classes - hard to retake due to limited spots at a liberal college], Two C+ in Calculus II and A&P II, No withdraw or repeats) - I've worked a lot during my undergrad year due to financial issue.
Graduate: 3.7 GPA - Master in Public Health in Ivy School
Strong LOR & EC & Research
MCAT:
25 Retaking the MCAT in April - Confident in scoring at least 508 due to taking practice exam.

Post-bac to improve GPA? or SMP? Would I qualify for any in my situation right now?

If you're determined to go MD, a SMP would be your best bet. A post-bacc with linkage would also work.

If you're willing to go DO, you likely already have the stats to apply this upcoming cycle. Math isn't calculated into AACOMAS sGPA and most schools have cut-offs at 3.0, so if you're above it you won't get screened out. Most DO schools also weigh non-SMP Masters grades, whereas most MD schools look at it as little more than an EC. If your other ECs are strong and you get a 508+ MCAT score, you'd have a shot. However, for a stronger application I would retake the C classes to boost GPA in a DIY post-bacc and apply 2017.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, first-time poster here. I'm about to graduate this coming June, and am feeling quite lost ATM. Stats/Info:
  • cGPA → 3.100
  • sGPA → 3.029
  • ECs:
    • Medical scribe (recently trainer) x3 yrs
    • Leadership position at student-run clinic (SRC) x2.5 yrs
    • Emergency Medicine research (later trainer) x1.5 yrs
    • Other SRC leadership position x6-7 mo (in which I work closely with one of the associate deans from our School of Medicine and am planning to ask for a LOR; I mention this not to brag, but in case anyone thinks this is a significant point that might help me :shrug:)
  • School → UC Davis
  • ORM/URM → ORM (Filipino, which basically puts me under 'Asian' AFAIK), not socioeconomically disadvantaged otherwise (as in I have never received non-loan financial aid)
  • MCAT → N/A (haven't taken)
  • Other → Community college transfer. Did well first two quarters at Davis, then GPA plummeted once I started working/got my leadership position at the SRC/started doing research. Fairly consistent GPA trend since :(:(:(
I definitely feel that the heavy time investment in my ECs during school has had a negative effect on my GPA (16 hrs/wk minimum for scribe alone, usually 24-30 hrs/wk with all other ECs), but adcoms don't care about excuses at my GPA, which I know I need to improve regardless.

To that end, I've looked at dozens of post-baccs, master's programs, and SMPs, which all seem to have some sort of disqualifying criteria resulting from my low GPA, ORM/non-socioeconomically disadvantaged status, lack of an MCAT score, or OOS status. However, I have been able to identify a handful of programs that I believe I qualify for including SFSU (top pick although per their website, they don't appear to be taking students for the academic-enhancer track for 2016 :() and Elms College Postbac Program (probably my next top pick; cheap relative to other OOS programs, good reputation AFAIK, good success rate).

My actual question: In your opinion(s), what should my next move be? I'd really like to pursue a formal, structured postbac, but am unsure if I should try to improve my uGPA via a non-Master's/Certificate postabac OR enter a Master's Degree program instead. The biggest factors for me are:
  • (1) Reputation/success rate (willing to disregard following criteria for a reputable program)
  • (2) Length (would strongly prefer 1-yr programs)
  • (2) Cost (CA resident, obv. OOS programs cost more)

Apologies for the long post. I appreciate any (constructive) criticism and advice you guys can give me :) happy to answer any other questions you guys need to better evaluate my situation or give me feedback.

Hi everyone! Need some advice, I'm a non-traditional (graduated 2012) re-applicant:

cGPA - 3.4
sGPA - 3.1
MCAT: 28 1st try, 509 second try.

Good EC's, lots of research (1st author publication, 1 mid author pub), lots of clinical and non-clinical volunteering and shadowing. Will be improving my ECs before I apply again in the 2017-2018 cycle. Will be applying both MD and DO, but would rather attend an allopathic school.

What type of program should I look into? Is it worth trying to raise my uGPA or move towards doing very well in a graduate program? I was previously gearing towards doing an informal post-bacc at a local state school to improve my undergrad GPA, but have been looking over SDN and it seems like people are recommending SMP or other science Masters programs for people in my situation. I've been looking into Loyola's MA/MS, NYMC MS program, Drexel SMP, Rosalind SMP, Georgetown SMP, etc. If I was do to a post-bacc I would like to stay local (CA resident), so am considering SFSU or Berkeley extension.

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks!

Hi everyone! I need some advice.

Right now I'm a junior with a 3.48 cumulative GPA and a science GPA of right around a 3.0. I still have a lot of sciences classes to take and I could potentially get my science GPA up to a 3.47. I also haven't taken the MCAT yet, but honestly I test well and expect to do well, especially with the amount of work I've been putting in.

I got good grades in high school and did great on the ACT, which leads me to believe I would be able to get my sGPA up to a 3.47 (the max I could get at this point) and get a high MCAT score. I also have a rather impressive clinical research based internship coming up next month. I've been battling depression since I started college, but after taking some time off I'm finally feeling better and my grades from winter quarter really reflect that (I got a 3.8).

I know I'm not going to get into any medical schools if I apply during my senior year, but if I get my GPA up to a 3.47 science after senior year would I have a shot of getting into medical school? Or should I do an SMP? My pre-med advisor was pretty wishy washy about this. I've wanted to be an OB/GYN for a long time, and I feel like I'm finally in a place where I could make that happen.

Thanks for any advice you guys have to offer!

Just wanted to offer support to everyone out there. I had a 3.2 gpa in undergrad with a 2.9 sgpa. Did an SMP, got into a low tier MD school. Worked my ass off during med school and last month matched into my 1st choice at Harvard/MGH-BWH in my chosen speciality. It was a ton of work and a very hard road, my pre-med advisor told me I would never get into medical school. If you really want it and work for it its attainable, but you have to be willing to sacrifice. Its been a long journey and and I've had to move to different states away from my SO and family, but now it was all worth it.

For all us low GPAers, its going to be an uphill battle - even though I went to US MD it was not a brand name and I had to seek out opportunities, mentorship, did plenty of away rotations and knocked boards out of the park to match at my #1. There are a gazillion cautionary tales here and you have to be realistic with yourself, but I remember when I was having doubts I would look on this website for inspiration. It definitely is possible, but you really have to work for it.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 22 users
Okay, so I am a white male, just finished my sophomore year in undergrad. I have done very poorly.

Current GPAs
cGPA: 2.6
sGPA: 2.6

My ECs are looking pretty good so far. Clinical (patient direct contact) volunteering 2 hrs/week. Looking to get another volunteer gig at a low income clinic. Working 10 hrs/week at major clinic doing medical acting. Also working over the summer at a grocery store about 20 hrs/week. Also about to set up some shadowing for the upcoming months.

If I do well in my junior and senior years (3.8 or above), I should be able to get up to a 3.1 or 3.2 or 3.3.

SO, my thoughts are that I should head into my junior year and knock it out of the park. Then assume that I'll take at least a year off and do the same in my senior year. From there, what should I do? I'm thinking retake the pre-reqs that I did poorly in (B or less) at a CC (is that a bad idea?), and then once I get my GPA up to 3.25 range or higher, then study my ass off for the MCAT and take that. Then apply DO? I don't really care DO or MD, I mean I am very very interested in surgery so I would want to go into that eventually, and I've heard getting into competitive residencies is difficult with a DO (is that even true?). Either way, at this point, I feel like I'd need to go DO.

Does anybody have any ideas or advice for me to carry through my final two year and then after that? Thank you so much. I've been reading through this thread for a while and you guys are very helpful.

I graduated with a 3.15 and got into a DO school. Only school that interviewed me too. I had an average MCAT too, I think 29S? I hated studying for it, and only did it for two weeks before I said **** it and took it.

Now I have a 3.97 and ranked top 5% of my class :)

You can always turn it around once you're in school.

Reactions: 1 users
Wayne State University
BS in Biological Sciences (started fall 2007 finished fall 2014)
8 years hospital experience including 2 years as an ED Tech in level 1 Trauma Center
Strong science and work LORs
2.59 GPA overall with about the same science GPA
MCAT scores: 495 (9/2015) Waiting for /4/2016) scores to be released
Applied to URM premed post-post bac at Wayne State Med School
and Wayne State MS in Basic Medical Sciences
505 MCAT

Last edited:
I graduated with a 3.15 and got into a DO school. Only school that interviewed me too. I had an average MCAT too, I think 29S? I hated studying for it, and only did it for two weeks before I said **** it and took it.

Now I have a 3.97 and ranked top 5% of my class :)

You can always turn it around once you're in school.

Hey that's awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I'm just finishing my second year and at at like a 2.57. Not doing too well. But seeing things like this helps me keep my hopes up :)

Hey that's awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I'm just finishing my second year and at at like a 2.57. Not doing too well. But seeing things like this helps me keep my hopes up :)

Crush those last 2 years to show that you can improve (they like that sorta stuff) then crush your MCAT. You got this buddy.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2016/05/4-ways-get-accepted-low-gpa/

Anyone read this? What do you think? I know it's not the end all be all, but according to this article, it says that anything within the 0.3 range is doable.
I know I really need to do a post bac, but I really can't afford that and the MCAT and interviews etc.

So with that math, is 3.38 within the range of 3.69?

Thanks!

did you guys talk about why your gpa was low in your personal statement for SMP?

talk about how you've addressed the problems that caused your gpa to be low

Any Advice thanks!
Stats MD:
3.05 cgpa
3.2 Sgpa
DO:
3.3 cgpa
3.5sgpa
Retaken classes: Intro chem, Ochem 1, Theater, Intro English, Bible (If I retake physics I C ill have 3.6 DO sgpa, no other Cs in sciences)
No MCAT yet

California Resident URM

Ecs:
-Work 40-50 Hrs a week in construction (A/C) to help sustain myself and help my family (Leadership position)
-200 Volunteering at hospital (150 in cardiology)
-20 Hrs Shadowing experience at my school clinic where I even took patient vitals
-Currently volunteering at Best friends animal shelter
-Currently volunteering at MEND orginization for homeless people
-80 Hrs embryonic cancer research
-Was part of chicanos community medicine for 1 year
-20 Hr MD shadowing
-Played semi professional soccer for a freshman year

Very strong upward upper division science trend (3.8 last semester)

Undersereved stuff (Not sure if this is important)
-Got federal grants every year to attend college
-Went to the worst public high school in LA
-Low socioeconomic status
-Lived all my life in underserved area

was thinking MD and DO post baccs, some people suggest I take MCAT and apply to DO, I honestly dont know where to go any help greatly appreciated!

Any Advice thanks!
Stats MD:
3.05 cgpa
3.2 Sgpa
DO:
3.3 cgpa
3.5sgpa
Retaken classes: Intro chem, Ochem 1, Theater, Intro English, Bible (If I retake physics I C ill have 3.6 DO sgpa, no other Cs in sciences)
No MCAT yet

California Resident URM

Ecs:
-Work 40-50 Hrs a week in construction (A/C) to help sustain myself and help my family (Leadership position)
-200 Volunteering at hospital (150 in cardiology)
-20 Hrs Shadowing experience at my school clinic where I even took patient vitals
-Currently volunteering at Best friends animal shelter
-Currently volunteering at MEND orginization for homeless people
-80 Hrs embryonic cancer research
-Was part of chicanos community medicine for 1 year
-20 Hr MD shadowing
-Played semi professional soccer for a freshman year

Very strong upward upper division science trend (3.8 last semester)

Undersereved stuff (Not sure if this is important)
-Got federal grants every year to attend college
-Went to the worst public high school in LA
-Low socioeconomic status
-Lived all my life in underserved area

was thinking MD and DO post baccs, some people suggest I take MCAT and apply to DO, I honestly dont know where to go any help greatly appreciated!

Your ECs look good, but you need to bulk up your shadowing to at least 80 hours if you can.

The only advice I can give would be to study for the MCAT like crazy. If you do well on the MCAT, that will open a lot of doors, but without an MCAT score nobody can really say what a viable next step for you would be. Take as much time as you need to study for the MCAT, and when you get your score, let us know and people will be able to help.

I graduated college about 2 years ago and ended up with 3.2 BCPM cumulative GPA and a 3.7 AO cumulative GPA, and my overall cumulative GPA is 3.35. I had 3 years of uptrending GPA for my science classes from a 2.5 to 3.3 to a 3.6 and then dropped to a 3.0 my last year while my other non BCPM classes were from a 3.31 to a 3.34 to a 3.7 to a 4.0. I applied for postbac programs and no places would accept me, so I'm planning on doing my own informal postbac at a UC school. I'm going to strive for a 4.0 for my informal postbac. My goal is to pursue an MD, and was wondering if it's possible at all if I choose to apply to schools out of state of in state. I don't want to try this out and get nothing from it except more loans. Thanks.

Hi guys long-time lurker on the low-gpa and post-bac threads
I just calculated my cgpa and sgpa using the AMCAS method of calculating it. Its pretty depressing but at least I now know exactly where I stand.
cgpa = 2.84
sgpa = 2.57
My plan is to do combo of repeats and upper division courses during Fall and Spring and then apply for SMPs in the spring. I also will take MCAT (1st time) in Jan or Feb.
I was hoping someone could give advice about community colleges.
I cant afford to take any courses as a post-bac at university right now and so Im looking at taking 1 or 2 courses at local cc for fall semester. Is this unwise? Most people say stay away from cc's, but I need to start something in the fall, and local cc is very affordable.
So my question is: Would I be better off not taking anything at all at the cc and just studying for MCAT then take courses at a university in spring instead? I wont be as poor in spring, but I definitely can afford a course or 2 at local cc.
Ive followed a lot of DrMidlifes advice on low gpa stuff and its a goldmine of info; For GPA comeback he / she recommends start with only ONE course and score an A, then increase from there, because you have to know and prove to yourself that As are achievable. SO I'm thinking to do this at cc, then ramp up upper division uni courses in spring.
Can I get any advice or opinions?

Hi guys long-time lurker on the low-gpa and post-bac threads
I just calculated my cgpa and sgpa using the AMCAS method of calculating it. Its pretty depressing but at least I now know exactly where I stand.
cgpa = 2.84
sgpa = 2.57
My plan is to do combo of repeats and upper division courses during Fall and Spring and then apply for SMPs in the spring. I also will take MCAT (1st time) in Jan or Feb.
I was hoping someone could give advice about community colleges.
I cant afford to take any courses as a post-bac at university right now and so Im looking at taking 1 or 2 courses at local cc for fall semester. Is this unwise? Most people say stay away from cc's, but I need to start something in the fall, and local cc is very affordable.
So my question is: Would I be better off not taking anything at all at the cc and just studying for MCAT then take courses at a university in spring instead? I wont be as poor in spring, but I definitely can afford a course or 2 at local cc.
Ive followed a lot of DrMidlifes advice on low gpa stuff and its a goldmine of info; For GPA comeback he / she recommends start with only ONE course and score an A, then increase from there, because you have to know and prove to yourself that As are achievable. SO I'm thinking to do this at cc, then ramp up upper division uni courses in spring.
Can I get any advice or opinions?

It is going to take you a while before your stats are fit enough to apply to allopathic schools (MD). You are going to need to raise both cumulative and science GPAs to at least a 3.0. You need to enroll in a university (not a community college) as a second-degree student (2nd bachelor's degree) so you can receive financial aid to pay your tuition. By the looks of your numbers, it is going to take you a least 2 to 3 years of full-time of mostly science coursework to raise your GPAs to a 3.0. Repairing your GPAs is going to be a very long journey. Community colleges are usually frowned upon by MD schools (it is already hard enough to get allopathic schools to look/glance at your application. Don't make it even harder/permanently close doors because you want to take courses at cc to save money.) You are nowhere close to being ready to take the MCAT, not until you are finished with your post-bac courses/second-degree at a UNIVERSITY (only take the MCAT when you are absolutely ready). After you have completed multiple years of full-time science coursework and you have a solid MCAT score under your belt, you can then pursue an SMP (an audition of medical school). You have to do very well academically while you are in an SMP (high risk/high reward). You need to read DrMidlife's personal journey of how she climbed her way out of an abysmally low GPA. In her GPA redemption approach, she never advocates taking any science coursework at a cc so do yourself a favor and read her GPA comeback story multiple times...If this is too long of a time commitment for you, then you can always go the DO route (take advantage of the grade replacement policy) by retaking all your C/D/Fs and apply early/broadly to osteopathic schools with a solid MCAT score in hand. To be frank, your chances for MD are very very low so you should really consider the DO route because that seems to be your best bet.

Remember, if you are boning for the MD, NO SCIENCE COURSE SHOULD BE TAKEN AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE PERIOD! For DO it does not matter if you do your retakes at a cc or university (fyi). GL on your journey.

You think you've seen it all, huh?

2.1 cum ('15)
1.6 science ('15)
1.9 post-bacc ('15 - present)

I'm not interested in MD/DO. More into podiatry. I actually want to go into a MS/MA program before applying for anything. I've emailed schools and programs. Most have said they'll consider entire application - GRE, rec letters, P/S.

I'm considering withdrawing from my current post-bacc. Studying intensely for GRE and then taking my chances.

Schools have said get a masters in whatver field but to make sure that ALL prereqs have been satisfied. Ideally my gut is telling me go for a hard science masters; my grades are piss poor! So I'm really insecure and can't even choose a MPH / Psychology, etc.

I'll like something along the lines of chemistry or biomedical informatics.

Any tips / advice?

You think you've seen it all, huh?

2.1 cum ('15)
1.6 science ('15)
1.9 post-bacc ('15 - present)

I'm not interested in MD/DO. More into podiatry. I actually want to go into a MS/MA program before applying for anything. I've emailed schools and programs. Most have said they'll consider entire application - GRE, rec letters, P/S.

I'm considering withdrawing from my current post-bacc. Studying intensely for GRE and then taking my chances.

Schools have said get a masters in whatver field but to make sure that ALL prereqs have been satisfied. Ideally my gut is telling me go for a hard science masters; my grades are piss poor! So I'm really insecure and can't even choose a MPH / Psychology, etc.

I'll like something along the lines of chemistry or biomedical informatics.

Any tips / advice?

Troll?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Idek what to say dude...

I know, I've messed myself up really badly. I'm trying to get into an MS program, do well in that, then apply for podiatry school.

No decent hard science program will take me though. Unless I do a program like psych

I know, I've messed myself up really badly. I'm trying to get into an MS program, do well in that, then apply for podiatry school.

No decent hard science program will take me though. Unless I do a program like psych

I mean... why not keep doing post bac but get good grades? Just do that for a year and then apply to pod?

I haven't started the process of applying to med school yet, but I will one of these days... so I'll just start adding my stats here.

Undergrad: 2.92
Undergrad + Community College: 2.98
Science GPA: ... I don't even want to know...
Grad school: 3.5

Plan:
- Studying for the MCAT and putting major focus on scoring above a 27.
- Applying for an SMP (takes 1 year)
- Possibly considering erasing undergrad GPA and starting my pre-reqs over. (takes 2 years)

I'm not sure exactly what I'll do yet. A part of me thinks maybe I should just take 1 class at a time online or something.

I haven't started the process of applying to med school yet, but I will one of these days... so I'll just start adding my stats here.

Undergrad: 2.92
Undergrad + Community College: 2.98
Science GPA: ... I don't even want to know...
Grad school: 3.5

Plan:
- Studying for the MCAT and putting major focus on scoring above a 27.
- Applying for an SMP (takes 1 year)
- Possibly considering erasing undergrad GPA and starting my pre-reqs over. (takes 2 years)

I'm not sure exactly what I'll do yet. A part of me thinks maybe I should just take 1 class at a time online or something.

If you're going for DO school, then it sounds like you have a solid plan. Just plan on retaking classes that you got a C, D or F in, and do the best you can on the MCAT. You may not necessarily need an SMP though.

I would really appreciate any advice on what would be the best thing I should do and what my options are.
I graduated with a biochemistry pre-med degree May 2016, and right now I'm taking a gap year to assess what I should do and to gain more clinical experience as a scribe. My GPA is pretty low (3.08), but I wholeheartedly think that is due to lack of discipline and motivation. I've grown a lot since my undergrad experience and now I really want to pursue medicine again. Is it even possible for me to get into the program I desire with such a low GPA? Should I apply to PA schools? My main goal is to practice medicine, and I don't particularly care about the prestige, but rather in caring for individuals.
Should I do a post-bacc 1 year program to boost my chance or would a good MCAT score outweigh my low GPA?

More about me:
Graduated May 2016, biochemistry
Volunteer hours: >750
Shadowing hours: ~200
Currently a medical scribe in the ER at an urban hospital
Taught high school level algebra I&II, Geometry, Pre-cal, science, Biology, Chem, and Spanish
URM (Asian female)
Interned at a humanitarian non-profit for 3 months
Resident Adviser for 2.5 years and Senior Resident Adviser for 1 year

I would really appreciate any advice on what would be the best thing I should do and what my options are.
I graduated with a biochemistry pre-med degree May 2016, and right now I'm taking a gap year to assess what I should do and to gain more clinical experience as a scribe. My GPA is pretty low (3.08), but I wholeheartedly think that is due to lack of discipline and motivation. I've grown a lot since my undergrad experience and now I really want to pursue medicine again. Is it even possible for me to get into the program I desire with such a low GPA? Should I apply to PA schools? My main goal is to practice medicine, and I don't particularly care about the prestige, but rather in caring for individuals.
Should I do a post-bacc 1 year program to boost my chance or would a good MCAT score outweigh my low GPA?

More about me:
Graduated May 2016, biochemistry
Volunteer hours: >750
Shadowing hours: ~200
Currently a medical scribe in the ER at an urban hospital
Taught high school level algebra I&II, Geometry, Pre-cal, science, Biology, Chem, and Spanish
URM (Asian female)
Interned at a humanitarian non-profit for 3 months
Resident Adviser for 2.5 years and Senior Resident Adviser for 1 year

I don't know much about PA schools

For DO, you should try to retake classes you got Cs, Ds or Fs in, and do well on the MCAT and you should be OK.

For MD, you probably need an SMP. Use your gap year to rock the MCAT, and apply for SMPs starting fall of 2017. If you do well in the SMP, then you can definitely be competitive for MD schools. Also, if you don't have research experience, then you could look for a research gig for your gap year.

I don't know much about PA schools

For DO, you should try to retake classes you got Cs, Ds or Fs in, and do well on the MCAT and you should be OK.

For MD, you probably need an SMP. Use your gap year to rock the MCAT, and apply for SMPs starting fall of 2017. If you do well in the SMP, then you can definitely be competitive for MD schools. Also, if you don't have research experience, then you could look for a research gig for your gap year.

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate you taking the time to reply :)

Just found this thread and am hoping maybe you guys can shed some light..

Current Cumulative GPA: 2.88 (although no grade below a C in any class)
sGPA around a 2.5 (Yikes)

I have 3 semesters left, my GPA is taking an upward trend.
I have no clinical experience/shadowing/anything (I made the decision to go premed late in the game). However, am starting to work as a scribe next semester. I am in a leadership position on one of the sport teams at my school, but that's really my only EC.

I will be taking the MCAT in June. I know I have to do REALLY well on it to have a shot.

I really want to go DO so I will be retaking most/all of my science courses that I received C's in over the summer and during senior year. I'm less concerned with applying to MD but have 2 or 3 that I will send out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to bulk up my application? My advisor is pretty useless and I'm struggling to do as much research as I can to understand the process. Still I feel like I'm constantly missing something. Are there any good SMPs that I should look into?