The Most Ridiculously Expensive Dental Schools Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I've tried a bunch of different calculations to see if either school would save me any money/loan payments in the long run over the other. I keep coming up with different numbers and am not sure how to calculate them correctly.
Would you be willing to help me figure out the difference between the two if I were to live off of $1200/month at Western and $800/month at Roseman?

Everything listed online for Western is correct for what we were given. However Roseman's budget online I don't believe is correct. I'll attach a file showing what Roseman gave us for cost estimates for D1 (D2-D4 should supposedly be less, although they haven't given me any clear answer by how much. Maybe just a couple thousand?)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Yeah, just put it in this spreadsheet, you can put in the numbers yourself to see the difference there. At the bottom of it, there are multiple tabs so you can compare multiple schools.

Interest is weird. It all depends on how it's being calculated. I just talking to a lender last week about buying a house. A house with a market value of $100,000 while only putting 3.3% down at around 5% APR would end up costing around $183,00 total with a 25 year repayment plan. Can you believe that? Of course that cost will come down, if you put more money down up front and pay it off quicker. Interest is a killer though.

Anyways, what I did was just a very simple estimate using the formula: Total COA = D1 x (1.06)^4 + D2 x (1.06)^3 + D3 x (1.06)^2 + D4 (1.06)^1
That's why the real cost of attendance of a school (interest included) is a lot more than when considered without interest.

However, the calculations I have put in that sheet are only good for essentially the day you walk out the door. Calculating a 15 or 20 year repayment plan for that kind of debt would just start to get depressing. For example, if you took out full loans from NYU dental school, I think the total cost of a 20 year repayment plan would probably be somewhere in the $700,000+ or $800,000+ range.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Dental School Cost Estimator.xlsx
    23.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You know how I think we could solve this student loan problem? Just give the government/schools IOUs. That'll teach them.

57f9d871d414578b683454dd03ed28f5.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is this, some type of soap opera about my life? :laugh:

But since you asked, the medical route would be a much better decision financially (did you know most MD schools cost around 50k per year or less for fees/tuition for OUT of state students)? Then in turn doctors don't have to buy practices or equipment, and have on average higher salaries. But the dental route offers business/autonomy/lifestyle. Stay tuned to find out what I decide!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

But since you asked, the medical route would be a much better decision financially (did you know most MD schools cost around 50k per year or less for fees/tuition for OUT of state students)? Then in turn doctors don't have to buy practices or equipment, and have on average higher salaries. But the dental route offers business/autonomy/lifestyle. Stay tuned to find out what I decide!
You have the financial foundation to succeed in dentistry. The autonomy will provide you many options. I encourage you to pursue dental school - I'm confident YOU will do VERY well. The fact that you have the forethought to think of these details puts you not only ahead of your peers, but ahead of many recent grads.
I know you and I have disagreed in the past, but that does not diminish the fact I acknowledge your level of knowledge in finance and business - something that can not always be utilized in every field of healthcare today.
I think you should be a dentist.

Reactions: 6 users
You have the financial foundation to succeed in dentistry. The autonomy will provide you many options. I encourage you to pursue dental school - I'm confident YOU will do VERY well. The fact that you have the forethought to think of these details puts you not only ahead of your peers, but ahead of many recent grads.
I know you and I have disagreed in the past, but that does not diminish the fact I acknowledge your level of knowledge in finance and business - something that can not always be utilized in every field of healthcare today.
I think you should be a dentist.
Wow, that may be the nicest thing someone has ever said about me. Thanks, I will definitely take that into consideration. And I don't remember disagreeing, but if we did, I was there is a good chance I was being an idiot, so in that case I am sorry. Yeah one of the reasons I wanted to do dental in the first place was because of business. That's kind of how my brain works, and because of it, I think that's what is scaring me about the entry costs with dental. I have lately been thinking about ways to lower the entry costs, and significantly so. Anyways, thanks for the input, it does mean a lot.

Reactions: 5 users
Wow, that may be the nicest thing someone has ever said about me. Thanks, I will definitely take that into consideration. And I don't remember disagreeing, but if we did, I was there is a good chance I was being an idiot, so in that case I am sorry. Yeah one of the reasons I wanted to do dental in the first place was because of business. That's kind of how my brain works, and because of it, I think that's what is scaring me about the entry costs with dental. I have lately been thinking about ways to lower the entry costs, and significantly so. Anyways, thanks for the input, it does mean a lot.
No worries dude. I'm not always the most agreeable either.
Don't be afraid of costs. There is always a price to pay for financial gain. Whether its financial investment (dental), time (medical), luck (lottery), etc; there is always some sort of cost. With your level of understanding, I think your chances when it comes to dentistry are really good.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't be afraid of costs. There is always a price to pay for financial gain. Whether its financial investment (dental), time (medical), luck (lottery), etc; there is always some sort of cost. With your level of understanding, I think your chances when it comes to dentistry are really good.
:biglove:

Wow thank you. Yes with the medical field you pay with time, and that's not just residency either. Even attending physicians have pretty long hours, anything surgical you have to be at the hospital before 7am... best career choice hands down has got to be winning the lottery. High pay, no hours.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I received my Financial Aid Package for 100% of estimated costs (attached here). In the calculator I reduced the room/board/loan fees slightly, reduced books/supplies (we can get by without most books) and I increased tuition/fees gradually to $65K by D4. My total cost came to $408K with interest using the calculator on this thread. Not bad for a an established private school.

I have lived in large east coast cities and was pleasantly surprised at how underrated and nice Omaha is (although very far from home - the only downside for me). The city has grown a lot over the past 10 years yet it remains very affordable (I can comfortably live alone or with a roommate). They're getting a new building/clinic for D2 (Aug 2018) and hopefully the COA won't shoot up more than their estimate on the Creighton website. I'm hoping to borrow under $300K with some savings and parents' help - this lessens the compounding interest and loan fees considerably.
Creighton's awesome! They've got a GREAT clinical program and the COL is diiiiiirt cheap.

I received my Financial Aid Package for 100% of estimated costs (attached here). In the calculator I reduced the room/board/loan fees slightly, reduced books/supplies (we can get by without most books) and I increased tuition/fees gradually to $65K by D4. My total cost came to $408K with interest using the calculator on this thread. Not bad for a an established private school.

I have lived in large east coast cities and was pleasantly surprised at how underrated and nice Omaha is (although very far from home - the only downside for me). The city has grown a lot over the past 10 years yet it remains very affordable (I can comfortably live alone or with a roommate). They're getting a new building/clinic for D2 (Aug 2018) and hopefully the COA won't shoot up more than their estimate on the Creighton website. I'm hoping to borrow under $300K with some savings and parents' help - this lessens the compounding interest and loan fees considerably.

Yeah that's a great plan! You could easily live off of less than the $1800/month they budget you in Omaha and I agree with the book buying. Omaha is a great city to live in! I'll definitely miss it. I initially accepted my offer from Creighton, but ultimately turned it down for another option.

I chose Creighton over many other OOS and private options (Minnesota, MW-AZ, BU, LECOM, etc). Still waiting to hear from two more schools in April (both closer to home and one is in-state). Did you get in-state tuition somewhere else or a an OOS scholarship? Or do you just want to move to a different city?

I got a scholarship at Iowa which made it cheaper than Creighton. There were some other things I preferred about Iowa over Creighton as well, but it is a phenomenal clinical program.

Can someone do a four year projection for Columbia but tuition alone? This year's tuition will be $74,500. I've done it myself but want to make sure I didn't mess up the numbers

Did you use the same tuition for all 4 years? Each year cost a slightly different amount for some reason.
ImageUploadedBySDN1493069066.140026.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

(Obviously it increased a grand this year but not sure how the other years changed.)

Did you use the same tuition for all 4 years? Each year cost a slightly different amount for some reason.View attachment 218112

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

(Obviously it increased a grand this year but not sure how the other years changed.)
That's true but with that we are talking pennies on the dollar. I don't mind assuming 74,000 + the tuition increase from that number

Bump. (oops, realized it's only been 4 months haha)

Thanks for all the helpful posts! If someone could do UCSF, U Michigan, and OOS U Colorado that would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I wanted to start a thread to help people estimate the total cost of attendance dental schools (tuition, fees, living costs, and interest included). I have uploaded a excel file where you can easily estimate the cost of a school you are interested in. Feel free to add your calculations for a specific school in the comments, and I will add them to the master list.

Note: The total estimated cost here is the estimated amount of money you can expect to owe the day you graduate from dental school. You will end up having to pay more than the listed amount, because interest on the loan will accrue over time, once you have graduated.

Let's find the most ridiculously expensive dental schools!

I will be posting the grand total of each school as we go, so you can get an idea. These numbers are based on tuition listed in 2016. Please double check these numbers, as your costs of living estimate may be different than what has been used in these calculations.
NYU: $544,614.28
MUSC (OOS): $535,664.80
UPENN: $523,501.09
USC: $517,876.94
University of the Pacific: $503,370.66
(OOS) University of Washington: $501,638.58

Columbia: $497,438.60
Western University (CA): $494,434.67
(OOS) Oregon Health Science University: $486,323.52
(OOS) UNMC (Nebraska): $485,907.64
Midwestern University (IL): $475,965.09
Midwestern University (AZ): $474,847.96
(OOS) Minnesota: $472,916.82
AT Still Arizona ASDOH: $468,565.99
Tufts: $466,692.36
Boston University: $461,826.64
Creighton University: $453,609.14
Iowa (OOS): $447,122.06
Roseman University (Utah): $446,705
Harvard: $435,520.47
Nova (FL): $433,921.77
(OOS) Temple University: $428,271.10. (In-state = $397,898.50)
Detroit Mercy: $428,162.63
Case Western: $422,628.63
(IS) University of Illinois Chicago (UIC): $442,306.97
Louisville (OOS): $415,710.75

Pittsburgh (OOS): $397,005.04
MUSC (in-state): $382,154.80
Buffalo (OOS): $476,018.45, but can receive in-state after a year which becomes $374,003.81 total.
Iowa (OOS): $368,755.63
UCLA (In-State): $364,373.58
Marquette (OOS): $363,769.74
Iowa (IS): 335,275.38
Marquette (In-State): $323,612.52

For comparison, here are some schools on the CHEAPER side. (IS = In-state tuition)

UCONN (IS): $300,163.35
UNMC (Nebraska) (IS): $293,416.09
UTHSC-SA (IS): $256,856.27
UT-Houston (IS): $255,848.59
Alabama (IS): $246,682.71
I don't think these numbers are accurate based on the ADEA handbook I got.

I don't think these numbers are accurate based on the ADEA handbook I got.

The ADEA handbook does not include interest on any loan, most of these calculation on this thread do. Also cost of living is probably slightly different since no one can estimate what a specific student will spend.

Is there a break down of the Costs for TouroCDM?

thank you

Could someone please do total costs of Dental College of Georgia (In-State) with cost breakdown as well please? Thanks so much in advance!

Hey all! Could someone possibly do Maryland? I've been able to compare them all, except that one! I really appreciate it in advance. (So tuition out of state first year, then in state for the next three years)! THANK YOU

i think we should keep this thread alive

Just use his sheet and plug in numbers, not that hard. If you could get into dental school, you can handle simple mathematics.

Man I feel so bad for you new generation of dentists. I have to be honest though. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't go to dental school at those prices. You will understand once you start working and you realize you have to pay Uncle Sam first. Then you won't want live in a small apartment anymore. Then some of you will have kids, get married, etc. I just can't imagine how any of this can turn out right for you guys. You will see just how much dentistry you have to produce just to get that 120k per year associate salary. It's really hard at first but still hard years later. There are better options today. I think you guys should do more research if you're considering dentistry today. It ain't the same profession it was 10 years ago. It's changing fast and not for the better.
Wow, that was depressing to read, it sounds like you regret your career path. Yes 400/500k in student loans is a ton of debt but it can be done, you just have to be willing to make sacrifices. If your goal is to cruise down easy street and make 250k/yr with little effort, dentistry is definitely not for you. Any business is a grind and if you're not driven and willing to put in the work, you're probably going to be mediocre in any field. It is a grind. Roughly 120k in salary is approx 360k in production. If you think that's difficult to produce, that's frightening. That's roughly one crown/day and nothing else. I've been practicing for 4 years and my first 12 months out made 240k and first calendar year 285k on over a million of production as an associate. I worked long hours including evenings, 6 days/week frequently, and lived in an undesirable border town in Texas. The plus sides were no state income tax, low cost of living, and I really didn't have any time to spend the money I was making if I wanted to and was able to build up a pretty solid nest egg and eliminate student loans in a couple of years. Definitely not glamourous. If you want to live in LA as a new grad with 500k in debt expect to make 120k/year, pay 35k in taxes, and 24k in housing. You'll never get ahead. Wanted to share my 2 cents bc it can be done, but it's definitely not easy. I know plenty of people in finance with a less strenuous day who make 200k+ in their late 20s. If you truly enjoy the work of a dentist, go to dental school. If you're considering it based on the salary, there are easier ways to make good money without taking on the debt of dental school and dentistry is probably not worth it for you.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone done @Touro dental yet?

Judging from Touro's website COA will be around 100k each year

Tuition+ fees seem to be around 66k excluding health insurance. If you can live conservatively COA will be lot less

So I always wanted to do something medical. After my junior year I decided to shadow a dentist, it seemed cool. Something I could see myself doing. I applied twice and have got in to school. After reviewing cost and what first year post grads are making, I truly became scared. A friend of mine said she is making 100k out of school with 415k in debt.... this debt is simply out of control and I don’t believe the ROI is there anymore. Just say you made 150k out of school, you would take home about 105 and just say you paid 70k, living off of 35k. This would take you 7 years, living off of 35k. Simply scary to me. Dental tuition is significantly higher than med school and seems as if it pays significantly less. Thoughts?

So I always wanted to do something medical. After my junior year I decided to shadow a dentist, it seemed cool. Something I could see myself doing. I applied twice and have got in to school. After reviewing cost and what first year post grads are making, I truly became scared. A friend of mine said she is making 100k out of school with 415k in debt.... this debt is simply out of control and I don’t believe the ROI is there anymore. Just say you made 150k out of school, you would take home about 105 and just say you paid 70k, living off of 35k. This would take you 7 years, living off of 35k. Simply scary to me. Dental tuition is significantly higher than med school and seems as if it pays significantly less. Thoughts?
The business aspect of dentistry is becoming larger. While the floor is low, there is virtually no ceiling. It's up to the person to make the most return on their investment. There are dentists (GPs) that are making well over 300k in the first year out of school but once again, it's up to the person.

The business aspect of dentistry is becoming larger. While the floor is low, there is virtually no ceiling. It's up to the person to make the most return on their investment. There are dentists (GPs) that are making well over 300k in the first year out of school but once again, it's up to the person.

Appreciate the input..Can you elaborate? I have no issue with working hard. Worked 40 hrs a week through undergrad. I just am concerned with the return on investment. Also don't mind moving wherever I need to in order to pay it off

Appreciate the input..Can you elaborate? I have no issue with working hard. Worked 40 hrs a week through undergrad. I just am concerned with the return on investment. Also don't mind moving wherever I need to in order to pay it off
It's not about working hard, it's about combining: hard work and working smart. That's what will get you ahead of the curve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for bringing up this thread again!

In college right now. Living off of <$800/mo.
$1,000/mo is a luxury.

$800??

I eat 3-4k calories a day, drive 1,400 miles/month and still manage with ~250-300...

• Haha
I wanted to start a thread to help people estimate the total cost of attendance dental schools (tuition, fees, living costs, and interest included). I have uploaded a excel file where you can easily estimate the cost of a school you are interested in. Feel free to add your calculations for a specific school in the comments, and I will add them to the master list.

Note: The total estimated cost here is the estimated amount of money you can expect to owe the day you graduate from dental school. You will end up having to pay more than the listed amount, because interest on the loan will accrue over time, once you have graduated.

Let's find the most ridiculously expensive dental schools!

I will be posting the grand total of each school as we go, so you can get an idea. These numbers are based on tuition listed in 2016. Please double check these numbers, as your costs of living estimate may be different than what has been used in these calculations.
NYU: $544,614.28
MUSC (OOS): $535,664.80
UPENN: $523,501.09
USC: $517,876.94
University of the Pacific: $503,370.66
(OOS) University of Washington: $501,638.58

Columbia: $497,438.60
Western University (CA): $494,434.67
(OOS) Oregon Health Science University: $486,323.52
(OOS) UNMC (Nebraska): $485,907.64
Midwestern University (IL): $475,965.09
Midwestern University (AZ): $474,847.96
(OOS) Minnesota: $472,916.82
AT Still Arizona ASDOH: $468,565.99
Tufts: $466,692.36
Boston University: $461,826.64
Creighton University: $453,609.14
Iowa (OOS): $447,122.06
Roseman University (Utah): $446,705
Harvard: $435,520.47
Nova (FL): $433,921.77
(OOS) Temple University: $428,271.10. (In-state = $397,898.50)
Detroit Mercy: $428,162.63
Case Western: $422,628.63
(IS) University of Illinois Chicago (UIC): $442,306.97
Louisville (OOS): $415,710.75

Pittsburgh (OOS): $397,005.04
MUSC (in-state): $382,154.80
Buffalo (OOS): $476,018.45, but can receive in-state after a year which becomes $374,003.81 total.
Iowa (OOS): $368,755.63
UCLA (In-State): $364,373.58
Marquette (OOS): $363,769.74
Iowa (IS): 335,275.38
Marquette (In-State): $323,612.52

For comparison, here are some schools on the CHEAPER side. (IS = In-state tuition)

UCONN (IS): $300,163.35
UNMC (Nebraska) (IS): $293,416.09
UTHSC-SA (IS): $256,856.27
UT-Houston (IS): $255,848.59
Alabama (IS): $246,682.71
Bump... Thought people might appreciate the excel file Panis et Circenses shared with everyone for calculating their estimated dental school/loan cost:

Dental School is Expensive.

Attachments

• Dental School Cost Estimator.xlsx
    23.6 KB · Views: 270
Can this thread be revived? This needs to be on the front of the dental forums just like “Job Market” is smack dab on the pharmacy forums

Lol I remember reading this thread at the same time that I was interviewing for dental schools... Now I have been practicing dentistry for 1.5 years! Time flies. So thankful that I attended my state school and got out with less than 200k in student loans. I can't imagine going to an expensive private school and be drown in debt after graduation.

Reactions: 3 users
It bums me out so much how much the cost has ballooned even since 2017. Both of the schools I got into are about 100k more than the original estimations. I feel more and more like joining the military is my only option. I have no idea how I am going to be able to afford this