The Most Ridiculously Expensive Dental Schools Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Doesn't Buffalo grant IS status starting from D2 year?

Ah yes, forgot to mention that. But Buffalo university itself doesn't, you'd need to complete the requirements / do it with the state. Then you can get IS status.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah yes, forgot to mention that. But Buffalo university itself doesn't, you'd need to complete the requirements / do it with the state. Then you can get IS status.

During the interview, they said they'd never had a student get denied who filled out the paperwork on time. So it's pointless to calculate 3 extra years of OOS. From 4 years of school with 6% interest and a 4% increase in tuition every year plus housing, you'd be looking at $335,000 in debt.

Year 1 - $117,000
Year 2 - $76,000
Year 3 - $73,000
Year 4 - $66,000

Reactions: 2 users
During the interview, they said they'd never had a student get denied who filled out the paperwork on time. So it's pointless to calculate 3 extra years of OOS. From 4 years of school with 6% interest and a 4% increase in tuition every year plus housing, you'd be looking at $335,000 in debt.

Year 1 - $117,000
Year 2 - $76,000
Year 3 - $73,000
Year 4 - $66,000

Yes, you're correct. Although there are people from outside of the U.S that can't get IS tuition regardless, so for them it'll be the numbers I quoted.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bump for decision purposes.

Reactions: 3 users
Now that the acceptance euphoria is wearing off, the harsh reality of massive debt will take its place.

Reactions: 9 users
Ok, here we go.

I found on their website, the total of all the fees, and tuition. Then I added in living cost of 1,500 per month. For OOS, this gives
D1: $99,900
D2: $121,360
D3: $121,360
D4: $123,360

Now, adding 6% compound interest, each year becomes:
D1: $126,121.40
D2: $144,541.70
D3: $136,360.10
D4: $128,641.60

MUSC Grand Total (For OOS): $535,664.80
I did an in-state calculation, which totals: $382,154.80.

However, for fun, I added in a 3% tuition increase per year, which gives a OOS total of $547,951.10, and in IS total of $390,809.20.

Also, I noticed in their fees that if you are an international student, there is an additional fee of
$100,000 per year (added to the out of state tuition). :scared:

can you please do this for Temple? :)

can you please do this for Temple? :)
Weird, the original list has it listed, and I remember doing the calculations for it, but I don't see it anywhere, so I'll post the breakdown here.

For Residents
Tuition + Fees + Living costs (estimated $1,250 per month)
D1: $86,120
D2: $89,192
D3: $86,192
D4: $81,226

Adding in 6% interest, annually this changes each year to:
D1: $108724.52
D2: $106,229.10
D3: $96,845.33
D4: $86,099.56

Grand total for PA residents: $397,898.50

For out of state students, the tuition is $7,000 higher per year.
So, the total for OOS (tuition + fees + living costs at $1,250/mo + 6% annual interest) = $428,271.10

Grand total for Non-PA residents: $428,271.10

So the total between residents and non-residents doesn't look like that much. But, it's actually the cost of a pretty nice brand-new car.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank God mine is only 224 for 4 years with living expenses included. Minus my scholarship... :banana: I feel like I'm going for free:biglove:

Last edited:
Weird, the original list has it listed, and I remember doing the calculations for it, but I don't see it anywhere, so I'll post the breakdown here.

For Residents
Tuition + Fees + Living costs (estimated $1,250 per month)
D1: $86,120
D2: $89,192
D3: $86,192
D4: $81,226

Adding in 6% interest, annually this changes each year to:
D1: $108724.52
D2: $106,229.10
D3: $96,845.33
D4: $86,099.56

Grand total for PA residents: $397,898.50

For out of state students, the tuition is $7,000 higher per year.
So, the total for OOS (tuition + fees + living costs at $1,250/mo + 6% annual interest) = $428,271.10

Grand total for Non-PA residents: $428,271.10

So the total between residents and non-residents doesn't look like that much. But, it's actually the cost of a pretty nice brand-new car.

:oops: do you or anyone else know if they do scholarships? so far this is my only acceptance

can you do BU?
Aye matey!
Haha, so I looked up living costs in Boston. Apparently the average renter in Boston (with one roommate) lives on 1,500 per month (at least according to this).
In this situation, here's what you'd expect:

Cost per year attendance (including fees): $83,394
Living expense per month: $1500 (per year = $18,000)
Annual interest: 6%

Adding everything up (including interest) each year becomes:
D1: $125,735.13
D2: $118,618.048
D3: $111,903.8184
D4: $105,569.64

Grand Total:
$461,826.64

Members don't see this ad :)
Aye matey!
Haha, so I looked up living costs in Boston. Apparently the average renter in Boston (with one roommate) lives on 1,500 per month (at least according to this).
In this situation, here's what you'd expect:

Cost per year attendance (including fees): $83,394
Living expense per month: $1500 (per year = $18,000)
Annual interest: 6%

Adding everything up (including interest) each year becomes:
D1: $105,283.00
D2: $99,323.59
D3: $93,701.50
D4: $88,397.64

Grand Total: $386,705.70

That's better than some places! Still a lot of money though!
Hold on, I messed up on the calculation, give me a sec and I'll update it..

For a school in Boston, that's actually really good.

O Great Panis et Circenses,
Could you do UCLA (IS) please?
Thank you!!

O Great Panis et Circenses,
Could you do UCLA (IS) please?
Thank you!!
Sure thing Zeenie!!

Cost varies by year, between 73,000 - 84,000 per year
Living costs - as estimated by school
6% interest annually accruing

Each year becomes:
D1: $100,542.40
D2: $100,572.96
D3: $83,823.93
D4: $79,434.28

Grand total (In-State): $364,373.58

Thanks to @auoso for finding an error here.

Last edited:
Sure thing Zeenie!!
So, according to these guys, a student with roommates can live in LA for $1,500 per month.
According to that assumption, here's the breakdown:

Tuition varies by year, between 73,000 - 84,000 per year
Living costs (as discussed earlier) = 1,500 per month, or 18,000 per year

Each year becomes:
D1: $123,266.99
D2: $122,011.25
D3: $104,048.73
D4: $98,514.28

Grand total (In-State): $447,841.25

I don't even want to know what it would cost for out of state students haha.

Pretty sure that's more expensive than Harvard and UDM. What the...

Last edited:
Sure thing Zeenie!!
So, according to these guys, a student with roommates can live in LA for $1,500 per month.

Each year becomes:

Dude, it does not cost $1500 to live in Westwood. I lived very comfortably for around $750/month for rent and another $300 for food (I ate out a lot).

Sure thing Zeenie!!

Each year becomes:

Pretty sure the 'tuition' you're quoting here is the total cost inclusive of living expenses and equipment. You've double counted living costs in your calculations.

Pretty sure the 'tuition' you're quoting here is the total cost inclusive of living expenses and equipment. You've double counted living costs in your calculations.
You're right, hold on let me update it. Thanks for the correction.

Dude, it does not cost $1500 to live in Westwood. I lived very comfortably for around $750/month for rent and another $300 for food (I ate out a lot).
If you can make a more accurate cost estimate, then go for it.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting buffalo. When I was at Nova nobody even talked about cost and there is nothing in the packet they gave us either.. I was able to find a little bit more though here http://dental.nova.edu/doctoral/finaid.html
The cost of tuition for Nova is all in the brochure from the folder they give you at the interview, as well as the cost of dental instruments/equipment for each individual year, which is not included in the tuition. According to my tour guide they no longer use textbooks; the students petitioned to get rid of them to reduce costs since people didn't use them anyway. They just use powerpoint presentations from their professors to study.

*double post sorry*

Last edited:
Why is dental school so incredibly expensive???

Agreed.

Last edited:
Very expensive.

Last edited:
All these numbers look terrifying. But how much are ya'll actually going to spend repaying your loans once you finish school? Unless your goal is to pay off your loans as quickly as possible, I'd imagine one would repay them with as little as possible. I think there is a minimum right? I personally think its a good idea to enjoy life a bit after so much schooling rather than to spend most of your salary on loans... just my .02 cents. :D

All these numbers look terrifying. But how much are ya'll actually going to spend repaying your loans once you finish school? Unless your goal is to pay off your loans as quickly as possible, I'd imagine one would repay them with as little as possible. I think there is a minimum right? I personally think its a good idea to enjoy life a bit after so much schooling rather than to spend most of your salary on loans... just my .02 cents. :D

Yeah that's a nice thought until you realize you're paying around 2x the total cost of school after 20+ years of interest...lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I posted this in a different thread- copied and pasted from there:

I referred to this PDF published by UMB on the cost of attendance for each semester: https://www.umaryland.edu/media/umb/af/sa/DDS.pdf

My Analysis:

Assuming 15K/yr cost of living...60K for all 4 yrs cost of living (credit due to @umbtoothfairy )

Total Cost of Attendance if IN-STATE after D1: $288,226
Total Cost of Attendance if IN-STATE after D2: $322,137
Total Cost of Attendance if OOS all 4 years: $382,279

From my interviews with multiple UMB students, it's very possible to get IS after D1, and virtually everyone who tries gets it after D2.

@umbtoothfairy feel free to fact-check me if I made a mistake.

Numbers I used for tuition and fees:
D1: OOS $82,559.80.
D2: OOS $81,543.80. IS $47,633.00
D3: OOS $79,196.80. IS $48,830.80
D4: OOS $78,978.80. IS $49,202.80.

For cost of living, I assumed a flat $15K/yr ($60K over 4 yrs- again thanks to @umbtoothfairy ) and added to the configurations from the numbers above.

How did you get 15k/yr as cost of living?

You could pay the minimum monthly on a 25 year extended repayment plan for sure. You'd be able to spend less on loans and more on luxuries. This costs a huge extra amount over those extended repayment years though, due to interest constantly building.

Yeah that's a nice thought until you realize you're paying around 2x the total cost of school after 20+ years of interest...lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You could pay the minimum monthly on a 25 year extended repayment plan for sure. You'd be able to spend less on loans and more on luxuries. This costs a huge extra amount over those extended repayment years though, due to interest constantly building.

Agree! Interest is a killer. But thinking longterm, it is going to take us all a long time to pay off the loans anyways, some of us a lifetime, so why not pay the minimum and enjoy the salary with better and more meaningful things? Life goes by too quickly I think, and I don't know how I feel about waiting until I am older to enjoy my hard earned salary. Each will have their opinion though, and I respect that. :horns::)

Gotta start hunting for those scholarships folks.

The vast majority of people graduate with about 40k less than whatever the school lists cause of scholarships/working in the summer/getting some help.

So if a school costs 300k total, the average indebtness is 260k. This is according to a school I interviewed at.

Of course this doesn't help at expensive schools like tufts, NYU, USC etc.

Last edited:
Agree! Interest is a killer. But thinking longterm, it is going to take us all a long time to pay off the loans anyways, some of us a lifetime, so why not pay the minimum and enjoy the salary with better and more meaningful things? Life goes by too quickly I think, and I don't know how I feel about waiting until I am older to enjoy my hard earned salary. Each will have their opinion though, and I respect that. :horns::)

Just hope you don't lose your hands in some freak accident hahah.

it is going to take us all a long time to pay off the loans anyways, some of us a lifetime, so why not pay the minimum and enjoy the salary with better and more meaningful things?

That's fine for people who prefer that approach.

Last edited:
It'll take some people 3-4 years only because they will do loan forgiveness programs.

Average indebtedness at each school is brought down by people with military scholarships and, more often, people whose parents foot the bill.
Scholarships and summer jobs can contribute to bringing the number down, but to a much smaller extent.
I wonder what the average would be if military scholarships and parental support wasn't factored in?

I wonder what the average would be if military scholarships and parental support wasn't factored in?

I'll put it at $320K (you gotta balance out the private schools with state schools)

Imagine you get 3k a year(which looks like a tiny tiny number), thats 12k over 4 years.

Just gotta get every penny guys, it adds up.

Sounds reasonable. The state schools definitely bring it down.

Most state schools themselves are ~$300K now.

Last edited: